Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mega Mayday…

Poster: A snowHead
the latest runs on both GFS and ECM now looks slightly better in terms of FLs for the week following weekend of 11,12th.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
simonsaysowot wrote:
Any idea what the rain/snow line will be for the coming (am going in a few days time)week in Avoriaz? Wondered how far I could go down before having to head back up? Also Morzine/Les Gets I wonder how they will fair with this coming weather.

I would ask @Polo on the PdS thread as he is the expert on this stuff and it is still uncertain.

We are now within the range of the Meteo Suisse 6 day forecast and in Verbier, if I had to guess now I would say Saturday FL will go up to 2300m.

Verbier at 1500m is showing +5

Cabane mont Fort at 2450 is showing around zero and snow

It looks like temps will drop after Saturday but then spike up again on Tuesday before hopefully going down significantly on Wednesday and for the end of the week. 15th onwards looks promising to me above 2000m but there could be a lot of damage below. Saying that it only takes a cold day with 30cm to refresh everything…
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, you doing crazy steep stuff in Valdez, or fishing, or what? Regardless, skip the "Reindeer" sausage, but if near Alyeska/Girdwood, definitely hit the Double Musky Inn (excellent Cajun food, huge portions). Alyeska is a perfectly good little area, too.

People come home from Alaska with a revised definition of "vast".

Quick story: In the 80's the investment mgmt. firm I worked at bought three warehouse buildings in Anchorage, and paid more for them than the US paid ($7 million) for the ENTIRE State of Alaska when we bought it from the Russkies in 1867. Two cents an acre, and of course the purchase was widely criticized at the time "Seward's folly". Now, it looks like a pretty good deal....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
Hot damn that is more than 2m of snow at altitude in Argentiere next week Shocked

Similar story in Verbier

Looks warm this weekend but then temps fluctuating all over the place

Are you sure of 2 meters? Those snow falls are in mm.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Kenzie, (roughly) multiply by 10 for snow
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kenzie wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
Hot damn that is more than 2m of snow at altitude in Argentiere next week Shocked

Similar story in Verbier

Absolutely sure Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
@BobinCH, you doing crazy steep stuff in Valdez, or fishing, or what? Regardless, skip the "Reindeer" sausage, but if near Alyeska/Girdwood, definitely hit the Double Musky Inn (excellent Cajun food, huge portions). Alyeska is a perfectly good little area, too.

People come home from Alaska with a revised definition of "vast".

Quick story: In the 80's the investment mgmt. firm I worked at bought three warehouse buildings in Anchorage, and paid more for them than the US paid ($7 million) for the ENTIRE State of Alaska when we bought it from the Russkies in 1867. Two cents an acre, and of course the purchase was widely criticized at the time "Seward's folly". Now, it looks like a pretty good deal....

Hoping for steeeeep but we’re in the weather Gods (and guides) hands! I can empathise with your story looking at our bill Shocked

ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The storm is now in range if the Meteo Suisse 6 day forecasts. South and West getting the full force - see Pigne d’Arolla / Champery forecasts…
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Little Angel
BobinCH wrote:
Kenzie wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Similar story in Verbier

Absolutely sure Very Happy

Be careful what you wish for.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Warning from Sam
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is a very good explanation on the next few days as to what to expect.

https://www.skipass.com/news/meteo-lundi-6-mars-neige-montagne.html

I might just look out the window and decide to stay in bed Laughing

Another cloudless sky this morning, last one for a few days, so will go rip the XC piste up for what could be the last day of the season Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Weathercam, hope they’re right but fear they’re optimistic on snow level.

SF pointing towards 2500m on Friday night when it’s heaviest and storm force winds Shocked

Maybe a pow window 15th/16th

Uncertain after that
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Worried what damage Saturdays rain will do with a rain/snow level forecast for 2300m Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpinebear wrote:
Worried what damage Saturdays rain will do with a rain/snow level forecast for 2300m Sad

It's getting so close now, that it's probably a case of wait and see now.

The key questions that we're waiting to be answered are..
- where will the FL's end up?
- which areas are the winners and losers out of the next week?
- how will Saturday's rain affect things, and is there a subsequent wave of snow in the following few days that might repair any damage.
- do we come out of this period better or worse than we were before (and not just on the slopes above 2000m)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Handy Turnip, below 1,800-2,000 looks like almost certainly worse. Sadly.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

And above 2000m hopefully drastically better to setup a bumper end to what has been a very lean season!
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
Alpinebear wrote:

It's getting so close now, that it's probably a case of wait and see now.

The key questions that we're waiting to be answered are..
- where will the FL's end up?
- which areas are the winners and losers out of the next week?
- how will Saturday's rain affect things, and is there a subsequent wave of snow in the following few days that might repair any damage.
- do we come out of this period better or worse than we were before (and not just on the slopes above 2000m)

Some answers to your questions from WePowder
snow report
Meteo france forecasting rain to 2800m on Saturday during the day around Tignes (better than yesterday when it was 3500 Shocked ), but thats going to ruin a lot of the off piste by leaving a crusty layer of ice for new snow or skiers to slide off.
latest report
under a new name wrote:

Quote:
And above 2000m hopefully drastically better to setup a bumper end to what has been a very lean season!

Yes I think you could be right. And thanks for the WePowder detail,@BobinCH.

My thinking (as it's most people's I guess) is from a selfish persepctive - my next trip is a few weeks away, and am staying at 2050m, and will be getting quite a few lifts at 1800m-1900m. There's plenty of skiing at higher slopes which should be great, but just thinking ahead to how well those slopes between 1800m-2000m hold up. A shift of a hundred metres in FL (either way!) could make a big difference!
snow report
I can see snow/rain clouds gathering on the webcams. The week of weather craziness starts here!!
ski holidays
What is the outlook the week of the 18th? - Still crazy? Or Starting to return to normal?
snow report
@Stanton1994, nobody knows past this Saturday. All bets off from there
snow report
Odd forecasts in Flims Laax. Plenty of precipitation forecast later this week. Sadly freezing level is up between 1600 and 2000m, so the resulting rain at resort level I expect will kill what little snow is left at the bottom. Admittedly most of the skiing is higher up.

What's odd though is they are forecasting deluges of snow at the mid station (around 2100m), but they forecasting heavy rain higher up on the glacier (at 3100m), presumably in the expectation of a temperature inversion ? This is on the resorts website. The GFS 850pHA and precipitation model doesn't take account of inversions it seems, you just get the temperature at around 1400m+-.

It's already disappointing enough that despite 70% of the runs being above 2000m, and therefore theoretically snow sure, for the last month or so around half of them are currently closed despite the altitude. They are currently only running 125km out of 224km, with many of the upper runs closed. Odd season.

I'm booked for Easter so hoping the temps can come down so they can get the top ups of snow needed higher up. If the runs into Laax and Flims stay open as a bonus I'd be delighted. Lets hope for snow this week/month !
ski holidays
@Gazzza, in dry seasons like this, aspect is just as important as altitude. Laax / Flims mostly faces south or southeast, which is not good for snow retention.

If it's mostly upper runs closed its probably either because they're less likely to have snowmaking, or because the ground underneath is rockier.

I was at Bormio this morning and the poorest on-piste snow (lots of tiny stones) was at the very top, despite being at 3,000m altitude and facing dead north. Again, that was because there was no artificial snowmaking (you wouldn't usually need it up there!) and the ground underneath is rock, not grass.

P.S. heavy snow at 2,100m and rain at 3,000m sounds like rubbish to me. Probably a computer error.
ski holidays
@Stanton1994, you might want to change your username ... there's another Stanton around here ... who has something of a questionable reputation Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@under a new name, agreed
snow report
Well, expecting rain theis morning at 1.050 in Chamonix pleasantly surprised to find a couple of cms of snow. And it is still lightly snowing ...
snow report
Now "Wait and See" mode here, not too much overnight, but now snowing and temps are zero.

Webcam is now panning around our terrace here at 1,400m

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wowsers! That FL for Friday night has dropped from over 2500m to 1150 in 24 hours!

And the outlook is colder for 2nd half

Just the metre and a half on the Aiguille du midi

It could look quite spectacular next week!!!

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 8-03-23 9:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
237 is the most I’ve ever seen on a GFS 10 day run

Looking at you, Chamonix, Tignes, La Grave snowHead
snow report
@Weathercam, predicted temps seem to be dropping (only from balmy to chilly) across the various sites (5) I'm checking. Fingers crossed that's what's happening on the ground.
snow report
@adithorp, just gone from zero 90 mins ago to +2.5 and still snowing, just about.

Might have a day off doing stuff on skis and give the knee a rest today, as it's been complaining.

Anyway I wouldn't be too worried about the snow next week for your trip, as I'd be more concerned about Noro Virus Laughing
ski holidays
Is it likely to be rainmageddon lower down with snowmageddon higher up, if you'll excuse the technical jargon?
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
Noro Virus Laughing

???
latest report
March madness on the coast/estuary line in North Somerset, we don't often get snow here.

20230308-070813
snow report
@swskier, Similar views just down the road in North Wiltshire. Though I haven't a clue how to post a photo. But as I said on another thread, snow day jackpot for me as both children's schools are open, but mine is closed! I have been enjoying watching the Livecams in Les Arcs. Though the 2000 one is broadcasting upside down again!
ski holidays
meteo

Meteo Alpes forecast for snow above 2300m in French Alps between now and Sunday!
snow report
@snowrider, and under 2,300 you'll get soaked Laughing

All this mornings snow has nigh on gone and temps now +3.8
ski holidays
@Weathercam, And Avi Risk 4.9 for 4 days?
ski holidays
@snowrider, @Weathercam, that was yesterday's forecast. Should be updated later today or tomorrow if the improved model forecasts hold.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy