Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss Resorts - what's expensive??

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I'm considering my first swiss ski trip this year, looking at Saas Fee, Engelberg or Andermatt at the moment. I know Switzerland has a reputation for being horrendously expensive, but is that really so? The accommodation seems to be dirt cheap, lift passes (Saas fee excepted) the same as Austria, ditto transfers. What am I missing? Surely food and drink isn't so expensive that it cancels out the 100 euro saving I make on accommodation by not going to France? Is it the booze? I drink beer btw

Thanks! Liam

PS any opinions on the above resorts also welcome!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I ski in Switzerland a fair amount, and have always found it cheaper than the French trips I've done (to the big resorts - and i don't drink alcohol).

I stayed in Saas Grund (on the same lift pass as Saas Fee) at Easter, and payed CHF 44 per night for b&b at the Hotel Roby (2*) and CHF 77 per night b&b at the Touring (3* with swimming pool). I ate out each night...generally around CHF 20 for pizza and a soft drink, although the night I went out with friends it was about double that.

Lunch on the mountain is generally more expensive than Austria...around CHF 7 for a plate of chips, CHF 16 for a meal.

Quote:
What am I missing?

Nothing. But ssshhh...don't tell everyone....we don't want the Swiss resorts full wink
latest report
 brian
brian
lrx28, it used to be true. I remember going to Verbier about 10 years ago and being Shocked

Nowadays I think French prices have caught up and gone past Switzerland.

Beer is, if anything, cheaper. Expect to pay ~6 CHF for a half litre.

Not been to those resorts but can thoroughly recommend Zermatt.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been to Saas Fee too: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=110802 - you can see what I think in detail there - it's definitely the prettiest and most spectacular resort I've been to - but the lift system is a bit prone to delays and the linked ski area is not huge.

My perception was that it was food on the mountain (or in resort) which was expensive, however I was comparing with Austria rather than France.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yep, Switzerland is officially not that expensive (or needn't be - if you want to bling it up in St Moritz you can spend money pretty quickly)...

The trains aren't cheap, but they run on time. Everything else is very reasonable

Of those resorts, I've only been to Engelberg. There is a youth hostel if you want something really cheap. I've stayed in Hotel Terminus which could do with a lick of paint but is very good value and in a good location and somewhere else, the name of which I forget which I booked on expedia
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well, if you stay out of the big resorts, its actually quite cheap! there was a survey done showing that in general switzerland was actually cheaper than france in everything except ski passes. beer is quite expensive (usually about 6CHF a pint), but then you can always stop off at the supermarkets.

saas fee would be classed as a big resort, at least well known, and thats reflected in the prices (on and off mountain). Engelberg may well have similar prices, andermatt should be cheaper though.

you might want to look at some of the 'smaller' resorts as well, notably the val d'anniviers and swiss side of PDS, even the Alpes Vaudoises area (diablerets, leysin, villars). Theres also stuff around the swiss-german side, but not too familiar with those resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Swiss prices in general are similar or cheaper than the more expensive parts of UK, Food is in general very well priced in hotels but more expensive up the mountain (as everywhere), Expect to pay arround £2 for a 1/3rd L pottle of drink (soft or beer) at lunch, however if you are in a group you may fin that mountain restaurants will offer you a 1L bottle of soft drink for about £3 (not all restaurants, usually in the ones with table service. Speaking of which service is always included in Swiss Restaurants but the leaving of a SMALl tip is appreciated
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You are not missing anything.
It is a myth that Switz' is very expensive....based on a historic truth when £/CHF was as low as 1.80 in 1995-96.
rate is now 2.25 or so and there has been almost no inflation in Switzerland while prices have risen in the UK and France.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 21-06-06 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 brian
brian
rungsp, it was 96 I was in Verbier, that explains a lot then rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Was in Davos a couple of seasons back, didnt think it expensive at all.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lrx28,

Of the resorts you mention the onlyu one I have skied is Andermatt which was great and not expensive. As a generalisation my own experience of Swiss reosrts is that they are no more expensive than French resorts though a bit more expensive than Austrian. The main thing I have found is that eating out in Swiss restaurants tends to be pricey compared with elsewhere in the alps and half board is a far better option.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dub_01,
Quote:

beer is quite expensive (usually about 6CHF a pint),

Hmm, how does that seem quite expensive? All the French ski resorts I've ever been, the cheapest I've seen is 5.5 Euros, which is far more expensive. Austria on the other hand was dirt cheap. Whilst in St Anton in March, the most we paid for a beer was 3E80
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lrx28, just do it and you will be pleasantly suprised. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A friend reckons Zinal is relatively inexpensive and fairly central for a few Swiss resorts Laughing It could be an up and coming area, with the British moving in.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Zinal is a pretty good place but being up a long and winding road I don't think it is very central for anything other than other resorts in the Val d'Anniviers.
ski holidays
lrx28, We have been ski-ing Switzerland off and on for 20 years. We are big fans of one of those smaller resorts i.e. Nendaz, which is part of the The Verbier 4 valleys circuit. Have a look at at www.nendaz.ch for a general view and www.telenendaz.ch for details of the ski-ing. Verbier is more expensive but not outrageous and of course it has great off piste ski-ing possibilities. Try www.verbier.ch for the general view and www.televerbier.ch for the skiing possibilities. These resorts are all in the Canton of Valais which is easily accessible from Geneva Airport direct by train and connecting Postbus to the resort. This rail system is brilliant and they have a great site at
www.sbb.ch.

As stated by other contributors Switzerland is no more expensive than UK especially if you go self catering. My wife spent a month out in Switzerland in March and reckoned that her English housekeeping allowance for thje UK was sufficient in Switzerland over the same period of time.

For a huge selection of accommodation possibilities try www.interhome.co.uk.
Personally we drive to this part of Switzerland which is a mere 540 miles from Calais mostly by motorway. Anymore questions come back on the thread.
snow report
What's cheap and what's expensive. I've found that Switzerland prices are similar to everywhere. I don't expect to save money when I go skiing in fact I expect to spend quite a bit. Don't be put of by rumour. Switzerland is a great place to ski - get stuck in snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks everyone for the advice - very encouraging!
snow conditions
Switzerland is often overlooked by Brits for basically having a preconception that "its Swiss it must be expensive". In fact the resorts are quite cheap compared to France & even Austria. Its in the City's like Zurich,Geneva,Luzern etc you will find it expensive however if you compare it to UK prices there not much in it.
ski holidays
thing with switzrland is that there's no crap alternatives

eg mcvities chocolate hobnobs cost the same in switz as uk but there is no safeway savers option in switzerland

mmm chocy hobhobs

Disclaimer - other supermarkets do crap biscuits too.

mmm chocy hobnobs

question can you get mcvities hobnobs in switzerland

PS Laax is just about the best place to ski on piste ever. (never been off piste - i sink cos of all the chocy hobnobs wink )
snow report
hobbiteater, I'm seeing a sort theme running through you post wink
ski holidays
All my snow skiing has been in Verbier. (Not a ski snob, just the way it has been!) Always thought it was overly hyped by those who have not been there. HOWEVER, The Skiing area IS great for intermediates and experts. Swiss Ski school was brilliant.....WE never felt Switzerland was overly exspensive....although there are plenty of poseurs about the place of all Nationalities, denominations and orientations that could get up your nose if you let them.

As to relative costs; I have flown and driven, nothing in it (in terms of pleasure)(the anticipation and excitement of the outbound drive is always negated by the long haul home after a great time!)

We really hated the package deal flight experience:- Crap depature times from Grotwick, crap aircraft, crap breakfast, crap terminal in Geneva, crap transfer coach- while some idiot rep thinks he can scam us on lift passes, ski school, gear hire and duff restuarants. Just glad the chalet hosts turned out to be the very best.....catered chalets with budget package TO are much the same anywhere as far as I can see. If you want to try Switzerland as an alternative to France/Italy/Andorra ....just do it . For the sake of a few quid try Verbier (if you have to budget to the last penny you can't really afford to go skiing anywhere anyway!)
latest report
 brian
brian
hobbiteater, perhaps a change of name to hobnobeater might be in order Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy