Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Portes du Soleil in August ?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm headed to Thonon-Les-Bains (on the south coast of Lake Geneva) for a week in August. The Portes du Soleil region is quite close and I was wondering if there was anywhere that offered summer skiing within a reasonable drive, say 2 hours ?

If not any suggestions of things to do, places to see etc. would be gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abv, don't really know, but I'd have thought the closest is probably Saas Fee (Les Diablerets being shut) - still quite a drive away. There is a lovely little walk though from Lac Leman through the Portes du Soleil....to Chamonix in only 5 days!!! Seriously though, I think you can pretty much drive up to it at the bottom end of the Abondance Valley and some of the best bits of the walk are about there (through the Porte du Soleil itself, and great views of the Dents du Midi IIRC).
snow report
 brian
brian
abv, The PdS is pretty low and has no glaciers so no summer ski there I'm afraid.

Closest would either be Saas Fee as Graham says, which you might do in 2 hours if the road is fairly quiet and you hammer it. You'll need the motorway vignette in Switzerland.

Or Tignes via Chamonix, the Mont Blanc tunnel and the Col du Petit St Bernard, which I doubt you could do in under 2.5 hours.

PdS has lots of lifts open for downhill mtb, you could always hire a bike.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
no summer skiing in portes du soleil, and unfortunately diablerets is shut this summer again. Saas fee and zermatt are about 2-3 hours away - but wicked mountain biking in PDS with about 26 lifts open, highly recommended!

some great hikes as well, notably the national park around the cornettes de bise, with great views of the lake, and mountain goats - probably my favorite place in PDS in summer. Or push a little more and you can hike up dents du midi - 2 day hike, sleep over in a refuge, magnificent views! Couple small snow patches here and there as well - not really enough to ski though!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Certainly no snow in the PDS at that time of year. The cows are walking all over the slopes anyway! Great on a bike though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You cuold wander over to Cervinia but it would take a little longer. No idea if the summer skiing there is open all summer.

Or you could do the usual summer mountain things, walking, cragging, canyoning or the Fantasticable...we did it yesterday, awesome if a little butterfly inspiring at the top - and as you approach the landing zone at 60mph...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

David Murdoch,

The Fantasicable looks mad. Apparently there are two with the longer one having a top speed of 75 mph Shocked

That is now a definite. I've even managed to convince the GF it's a good idea although we will see what happens when we get to the top ! Other plans for the week now include mountain biking and white water rafting.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Saw the cable last winter, its EVERY bit as high as it looks, discussed many times as we took the chair up from Chatel where the cable crossed over, we decided it would be LESS terrifying to jump from a plane with a parachute !!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abv, Frosty, I would never jump out of a plane with a parachute - too scary. The cable's brilliant though! Bizarrely, I was a bit nervous as I was strapped in but once they say - "are you ready" I just felt ready to go. It's excellent. Really really good fun.

Don't worry about a bit of vibration and turbulence on the way, it's allegedly normal.

Do NOT lie about your weight as they use that to apply appropriate air braking as you slide along and (perhaps more importantly) appropriate elasticity when you come to a stop.

You don't want to stop too quickly - or indeed proceed too far along the cable into the very large pylon at the end!!

Top lunching tip - along the ridge heading west from the top of the chair is a restaurant on the Col du Bassachaux "La Haute Bise" http://www.crepy.net/. We were very impressed with the food, views are excellent and you can have a swift poire for dutch courage avant or as a nerve steadier apres the cable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, quote: Top lunching tip (could have added 'DON'T!) Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Madaboutsnow, oh, not at all. They were most accomodating and deserved their 12.5% wink

The only really scary bit about the cable is your first "landing" as you get a powerful "ground rush" and then proceed through what seems to be an impossibly narrow framework before the brakes come on. Violently. Thankfully the harnesses are very well padded around the shoulders.

I'll try and post some piccies over the weekend.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch, I was thinking more of the effects said lunch might have if indulged in too close to one's Fantasticable errm.... journey (flight?dice with death?) Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So here's my chum Shep heading off. You can see the operator just clipping the last retention carabiner back onto the cable ready for the next foolish soul to the right of the frame

This is him on his way (sorry, I forgot to set the camera to "action" so the shutter speed is a little low.

And here is a complete stranger approaching the "landing zone" at around 60mph. You come to a stop in about 5 metres. It's quite an abrupt decceleration...

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Murdoch, So where's the picture of the landing - person scraping nose on ground. Then final picture of totally flat, bleeding face? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
so far I'm only aware of that happening once...maggi,
snow report
David Murdoch, How much Davey?
ski holidays
€27 oe so I think...