Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bansko - 'Magaluf of the slopes'?

Poster: A snowHead
Well according to the Sun it is:

Inside the wild ‘Magaluf of the Slopes’ ski resort swamped with Brits where there are 89p beers & crazy parties
Quote:
"Once the last ski lift closes at 5pm and the sun disappears behind the Pirin Mountains, neon lights illuminate the strip and the debauchery begins. Swathes of horny, raucous tourists descend upon Pirin Street, a 500-yard road that runs through the centre of the ski town.

It is where travellers can find a plethora of bars, two litre bottles of beer for 89p and more than ten exotic strip clubs.

At about 2am, Bobby, a young Brit from West London, spilled out of Amigo's Pub with hundreds of other revellers. "Please mister, come into my club I have a football team of virgin women waiting to meet you," he heard from a bearded man holding a juicy Bulgarian kebab."

It sounds like Bansko is crying out for a trip report from @savaloy joy to add to his memorable trip report to 'Soldin'.... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alastair Pink wrote:

<snip>

It sounds like Bansko is crying out for a trip report from @savaloy joy to add to his memorable trip report to 'Soldin'.... Toofy Grin

Hear hear!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sun article popped up on Apple news and made me laugh. Skiing for people that, er, only like to go skiing for an hour a day (after the hangover part clears). Little bit like Aspen, possibly in that regard, but a slightly different crowd!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i remember in the 80's and 90's it was sauze d'oulx that was the tabloids choice for "benidorm on snow".

though it was lively, it was nothing close to that when i went there in the mid 90's (more the pity Toofy Grin Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Must confess this article sounds familiar, albeit overblown in the grand traditions of journalism... the juicy Bulgarian kebab line made me chuckle!

We went to Bansko a couple of weeks ago; we're travelling around so had intended to stay 6 weeks to mitigate the wallet drain of 4 weeks in Sweden.

We lasted one week. Toofy Grin

Our accommodation choice near the lift (and enormous, poorly soundproofed nightclub) was a huge mistake, the people were a mix of massively lairy lads and very confused families, a friend got offered drugs three times in a day, and the whole place had a weird aggy vibe. The noise was constant, because of course a ski shop needs external speakers blasting banging house. The craters and ghost buildings added to the ambience.

I'd do a trip report but I was so put about that I didn't bother skiing, something about the sight of the queue in the morning is off-putting, did a bit of pleasant hiking instead. Food was good though, and the mountains look beautiful! Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I take it you're not someone who would cross continents in search of a "juicy Bulgarian kebab" then, @ElzP? Each to his own.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, I absolutely loved the juicy Bulgarian kebabs! It was the depressing 'British-style' bars I couldn't be having with... Toofy Grin
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ElzP wrote:
juicy Bulgarian kebab

I've heard it goes well with a certain crispy bread hole wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@denfinella, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink wrote:

Still the best review out there Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Isn't Magaluf a bit staid and old hat these days?

Which snowsports resorts are like Ibiza Town, Malia, Ayia Napa and Padstow, where the cool kids hang out? snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I know a few people who fell for hype of what was going to be done to the resort & bought apartments in the golfing area just outside the town. So every year they are forced to go back or lose money just on the mortgage! Not sure how many still hold them as due to covid, job changes, etc. I have not seen a few of them to ask! Prices have probably gone up due to Bulgaria minimum wage introduction & being pegged to the Euro.
I have not been for a number of years, but the food was always better than the skiing. Doubt I would ever go back as it is cheaper to DIY a trip to the Alps these days.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surprised they haven't nicknamed it Bonksko, which would be the Sun's norm.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
Surprised they haven't nicknamed it Bonksko, which would be the Sun's norm.

@T Bar, I think a career as a Sun sub editor beckons (if you want it! Laughing )
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I went many years ago when it was really wild westy.

Skiing was fine for the intermediate I was, and the party boy in me loved the strip bars, cheap booze, and the guy that we paid a bit of cash to, who took us to some wasteland somewhere to mess about with (clearly "on loan" from the army) an RPD machine gun and AKM assault rifle.

The drunken night skiing was mental. Do the run, have a shot at the bottom, repeat until comatose. How no-one died is beyond me.

Ah, good times.

Never to be repeated. I can't work out if I am sad, or relieved about that.
snow report
@Harry Flashman,
And all the home made spirits that have been topping up the branded bottles for god knows how long!
snow conditions
Mrs MA and I went to Bansko for a few days, maybe six or seven years ago. Just to try somewhere new.

We had cheap digs (lovely modern apartment, four times the size of typical French places); no queue for the gondola; great snow; skiing top to bottom; good off piste; and very cheap food and drink.

We really enjoyed ourselves. The only minus point was that there was no sign of any debauchery Confused
latest report
mountainaddict wrote:
no queue for the gondola

Shocked

Fwiw,
There was (might still be) a Ski in/out chalet up in the woods by the Shilingarnik area
ski holidays
Is there a link to saveloy joys repprt. Sounds funny.
latest report
thecramps wrote:
Is there a link to saveloy joys report. Sounds funny.

Here you go: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1444029&highlight=#1444029
snow report
It has been a long time since I've been to Borovets or Bansko and I think things might have changed a bit since then.

Borovets was a well known ski resort then with a big lift queue to get the gondola out of the village. The big hotel (the Rila I think) had live sex shows but most of the hotels were small places in the trees and quite nice places to stay.

Bansko was a small walled village with a few guest houses, no big hotels or apartments. It was late in the season and the then mainly agricultural village was getting ready for spring - lots of horse drawn carts and such like. It was there that I actually realised what hobling a horse actually meant. There was no queue for a gondola out of the village just a queue for the huge wheel drive truck that transported you up to the ski area. The skiing was OK, but I prefered the larger Borovets.

I imagine both places would be nice in the summer I only actually went to Borovets in the summer.

The food in both places was, like the rest of Bulgaria, terrible - almost entirely mixed grills with chips and never served hot. The beer and wine was nice. That is until I discovered Turkish restaurants.
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:

Inside the wild ‘Magaluf of the Slopes’ ski resort swamped with Brits where there are 89p beers & crazy parties
Quote:
"Once the last ski lift closes at 5pm and the sun disappears behind the Pirin Mountains, neon lights illuminate the strip and the debauchery begins. Swathes of horny, raucous tourists descend upon Pirin Street, a 500-yard road that runs through the centre of the ski town.

It is where travellers can find a plethora of bars, two litre bottles of beer for 89p and more than ten exotic strip clubs.

At about 2am, Bobby, a young Brit from West London, spilled out of Amigo's Pub with hundreds of other revellers. "Please mister, come into my club I have a football team of virgin women waiting to meet you," he heard from a bearded man holding a juicy Bulgarian kebab."

I'm not going to try and match the genius of that report but this pretty much sums Bansko up for me, although I was disappointed to not find 2 litres of beer for 89p (to be fair, the old part of town is great).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy