Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prepaid SIM Card for Canada

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Whistler next week, and would like to get a prepaid nano-SIM card that will cover my 2-week trip. Does anyone have any recommendations for something I can get in the UK and activate on arrival.

I'm not expecting to use my phone a lot, I'm just looking for good value on calls and not too (if any) much data downloads.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Buy a sim at 7-11?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was hoping to have one on arrival, to check on my shuttle transit while still in the baggage claim area. Anyway, the 7-11 at YVR is a hell of a hike.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been going for 20 yrs but not found a suitable SIM card we could get in this country.
Bought one Wal-Mart for $10 + tax, try 7-11 Or supermarket. Data is really expensive in Canada so we got 2g only and used cafe or hotel WiFi.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did whistler connection? They had a lady with a clipboard at the exit from baggage pickup . Who gave directions to bus stand and time of departure and label with accommodation name so the driver could "stack" the bus. You could email free wifi in the airport.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Acacia wrote:
I was hoping to have one on arrival, to check on my shuttle transit while still in the baggage claim area.

Airport probably have wi-fi
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
7-11 or petrocan
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Acacia, who are you with in the UK? I usually buy a sim when we are here (in Canada at the moment) but my provider EE did a Global calling ( calls from anywhere in the world to anywhere in the world, mobile or landline)add on that was so cost effective I haven’t bothered this time. Also 500mb ofdata for £4.10/day. I use Wi-fi everywhere and just the data in the days I need it in the car. First time in 15 years I have found a UK based solution. Check with your provider. Things have clearly become more competitive.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EE offer a Max sim that includes all your data and call allowance in North America, might be worth seeing if they do if for PAYG as well as contracts?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
YVR has had free WiFi for years. It works fine in the baggage area.

There's also a 7-11 down in the bottom, although it's not precisely where you will emerge. You'll find it easy enough, or ask someone.

If you're catching a bus from YVR then you definitely don't need a phone for that.
There's nothing you can do other than take a leak and then wait for your stuff.
Customs is quick and easy, and the exit is about 50m max from where those buses leave. You'll be fine. They also have a little desk there I think, by the escalators, but if you have a ticket just go to the stop and talk to the bus driver.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks people.

I'm extremely familiar with YVR (and Whistler Connection) - it's just that a couple of years ago our flight was delayed by several hours, resulting in our emergence from baggage claim long after the published time of the last shuttle, meaning that I spent a considerable time fretting about having to make alternative arrangements.

In the event I needn't have worried (except that I'm one of Nature's hyper-worrier), since the shuttle waited for everyone on the flight and delivered us without problems (and I should take this opportunity to say that I've always found Whistler Connection to provide excellent service, and can strongly recommend them).

If we get out of arrivals early enough this time, I'll check with our driver to see if I've got time to get to the 7-11
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Digging up an old thread here as I'm heading to Whistler next week for a couple of weeks. My wife and I are with three and will be charged £10:per day to use data. From what I can gather, there are no paper piste maps and we'll need to use the app for piste navigation etc. Our daughter is out there working and we'll be seeing her too. Also going with friends so we will undoubtedly be using our phones a fair bit. I see amazon have T-Mobile prepaid Sims for around £30-40 which will be a lot better than say £240 between my wife and I. Any ideas of what's better - getting a sim out there or a prepaid one here? Ta
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shame them into giving you a paper map. They exist just Vail are too cheap to let on.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@boabski, do you have a phone that is dual-SIM & eSIM capable? If so, there might be telcos over there that will sell you an eSIM, which you can buy from home and activate over there. I have done exactly that for this trip with Orange and it has worked well.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boabski wrote:
Digging up an old thread here as I'm heading to Whistler next week for a couple of weeks. My wife and I are with three and will be charged £10:per day to use data. From what I can gather, there are no paper piste maps and we'll need to use the app for piste navigation etc. Our daughter is out there working and we'll be seeing her too. Also going with friends so we will undoubtedly be using our phones a fair bit. I see amazon have T-Mobile prepaid Sims for around £30-40 which will be a lot better than say £240 between my wife and I. Any ideas of what's better - getting a sim out there or a prepaid one here? Ta
No, but Whistler has excellent WiFi coverage including on the mountain (lifts, infrastructure) these days, so it's not much of an issue. I don't use piste maps, but I'd be surprised if the resort app doesn't have one built in which works with or without coverage. Or just download the PDF when you're online, then look at it, sort of like paper?

eSIM: last time I looked that wasn't working for me, but I'll check Orange...
ski holidays
I bought a TMobile one off Amazon for Canada trip summer just past - it worked brilliantly, except for huge amounts of spam Laughing They clearly reuse numbers a lot...

Edit: i paid £24 for a 10day/5gb data sim (8 day trip). I found the price fluctuated quite a lot, so worth watching it for a few days if you're not in a rush.

My relatives over there were impressed at the amount paid vs what's available in Canada - they agreed it was the best value way of doing it, and would recommend the rest of the family do the same when coming over. I do it again - though eSim options look like they could be even better if your phone supports them.
snow report
Thanks for all the info folks. Very Happy
ski holidays
This time last year, I bought an EE prepay SIM for use in the US. £10 got 12Gb for 28 days.
ski holidays
Try https://www.sims4travel.com/
snow report
I bought a Lucky mobile SIM from Walmart in Canada, $30 for unlimited Canada calling and 1 GB data (I used 500MB in 14 days), they do cheaper / more expensive options
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy