Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost confidence

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All, some advice needed. Ive been skiing for 15 years, had lessons for the first three trips and after that skied with friends.I know that my technique is not good, but I could enjoy a wide blue run and was OK on easy reds. But in the last two years I've lost my confidence, I can't keep up with friends ( even though they've been very supportive and understanding) and I've got increasingly worried on steeper slopes. I can't pin it on any particular incident , it just happened. And as I get worried my technique , such as it is, gets worse, so it is a bit of a spiral. I just got back from a trip to the Pyrenees where I was constantly the one holding everyone up and became very jittery even on blue slopes that I've skied before. I'm now in a position where I'm thinking of jacking it in. But I love being in the mountains and would like to see if remedial lessons would work.I'm fit and flexible and am a man in my 60's.Any suggestions? And any thoughts on taking one to one lessons in a snow dome on the UK? I'm close to Xscape in Castleford, for instance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It has always been my view, that Confidence is such a huge element of skiing - that the loss of it makes skiing a difficult, trying and miserable experience.....especially if skiing with others, who you feel you are holding up and who are not suffering in the same way.

IMV. Confidence comes from Control; Control comes from Skill; and Skill comes from good Instruction and Practice on slopes where you feel comfortable.

I suspect some bad habits have crept into your skiing - and the right Instructor "will" pick up on this and help you correct it.

I think lessons in a Snow Dome would be a great start....but get a recommended Instructor, by asking on here. On your next holiday, choose somewhere based on the quality of Instruction and runs that will allow you to find your mojo again....and get a list of known excellent Instructors on here.

And finally - a) You will get your skiing sorted out. It is probably something fairly basic, that when corrected, will start an upward Confidence spiral. b) Don't judge yourself against anyone else....or overly stress on what has happened to your skiing. It is reversible with help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why do you think you've lost your confidence? Is it purely your ability? Other people around you on a piste? Or the worry of being out of control on a narrow piste with a sharp drop on the other side?

I would argue that maybe a lesson in a snowdome might not help that much, as they can be busy and crowded? But it's certainly worth a go if you can get a quiet slot.

But I would 100% say, go on your next trip but before you go find a decent private instructor and explain your situation. Book yourself in for the first few days in the mornings to build your confidence and then meet up with your friends for the afternoon. I assume you are from the UK (apologies if you aren't) so try and find perhaps an English or at least, very good English speaking instructor. This isn't meant to knock French, Austrian etc instructors who often do speak good English but in your situation I wouldn't want any potential language barriers. There are some things which just don't translate well into English.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Snowweasel,
Quote:

would like to see if remedial lessons would work

They will. I started taking lessons again when I was older than you. I had no 'technique' to speak of but, following the banishment of many of my bad habits, I now have a workable framework of technique, which gives me confidence and stops me from wasting untold amounts of energy, both physical and mental, as I did before.
Quote:

any thoughts on taking one to one lessons in a snow dome on the UK? I'm close to Xscape in Castleford, for instance.

I can't speak for Castleford, but I know that my lessons with Inside Out Skiing at Hemel - both group lessons and one-to-one - have extended my skiing life and my enjoyment of skiing. Maybe someone will be able to recommend an instructor at Castleford for you. Please don't give up, lessons really will help.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Only 3 weeks of lessons 12 years ago isn't a good base for a good technique, particularly as you learnt later in life in the first place. Also you're probably ignoring half of what you were taught as good technique has been overtaken by bad habits.

simple answer is get 3 or 4 half days of ski school on your next trip or a couple of private lessons depending on how fat your wallet is...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snowweasel, I think all us more mature skiers have been there at some point in our careers. For some reason we start thinking we cannot do something we are perfectly capable of doing. We start skiing defensively and slowly which is of course more difficult. We start looking for dangers that don't really exist and get slower still.

Sadly I don't have a simple answer because there isn't one.

The non simple answer is to simply keep skiing. Don't worry about holding up your friends. They clearly don't mind and want you to enjoy your holiday. With the help of one of your friends get them to guide you down the piste with you following their tracks a couple metres behind. Let them do all the thinking, navigation, hazard avoidance etc and you just concentrate on movement.

And look up not down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One other possibility - could it be "Kit related". Do you have your own - if so, how old is it? Have you changed anything recently? If you hired - what did you get? How sharp were the edges on the skis? - a bad tune can remove your ability to ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the replies. Some good, encouraging advice.I see Xscape in Castleford offer "Development skiing " lessons. Anyone got any idea what those are? And if anyone has any trusted instructor suggestions ( particularly in Val D'Isere, Courchevel or Glenshee in Scotland) I'd be very grateful. Don't think it's my kit. I have my own boots: they're three holidays old now and seem fine. The skis I last used were from a hire shop in Bareges and were good . My friends all hired from there and the general consensus was they were well set up.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Snowweasel, Steve Angus in Val d'Isere...he posts a blog on here. You won't do better there. Rob Rees...inside out.. at Hemel if you can get there
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Snowweasel, VDI has more good Instructors than you can shake a stick at....not least Steve Angus (TDC) who posts on here. Others I have used are:

Simon Mc Combe - Mountain Masters
Dave Cowell - Mountain Masters
Aaron Cassells - Progression Ski
Woody (Neil Woodward) - Progression Ski

Others that have a good reputation that I know of: Ken Smith, Rupert Goldring, Rupert Tildesley, Clare Burns, Mark Jones

In Courchevel 1850 - Scott Frew from Supreme Ski

You will get lots of suggestions from others.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 15-02-23 13:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for Steve Angus, I think he'd be ideal for helping with confidence. Forget which part of the forum his blog is in but it's called something like The View from Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

+1 for Steve Angus, I think he'd be ideal for helping with confidence. Forget which part of the forum his blog is in but it's called something like The View from Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

It's in the "Snow Reports - Weather" section.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Snowweasel, …second what everyone is saying … skiing is about a complex combination of mind stuff and physical stuff. Both can be unlocked with good coaching - either in resort or back in UK. I too am ancient and still pressing hard and learning - and still get coaching….
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5090957#5090957
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Firstly, as others have alluded to, you are not alone in what you are feeling and I think we have all had it at some time.
My wish in my trip just gone, as I turn 58 this year, was to enjoy all the greens, blues and pick and choose the tougher stuff, when I fancied it - still ended up with cracked ribs because by the end of the week it was like skiing on concrete anywhere below 2000m.
Anyway - I am not sure that a lesson in the snowdome is necessarily the answer for you, but a private lesson or two in resort certainly is. Having a private lesson on terrain that is the same like in the Fridges is not gonna solve much as the conditions do not vary.

Everyone gets ragged if they are tired or having a block on a steep or if a slope is icy - changes in conditions can be more terrifying than the steepness of the pitch

A private lesson will pinpoint your technical faults and then work on them. But you need to be on a more testing piste to pinpoint whats up - with your instructor there to assist you. They will know where to take you after 10 mins watching you

Could be something really simple in your turn technique on a steep where a little narrow snowplough just prior to the turn gives you that element of stability to crack it. I have found private sessions so useful over the years - but in situ.
snow conditions
@Yellow Snow,
Quote:

Having a private lesson on terrain that is the same like in the Fridges is not gonna solve much as the conditions do not vary.

Imho a consistent platform is useful for sorting out some really basic faults and for using drills to do so. If there are no variations, you can concentrate on one thing at a time, rather than having constantly to adapt to changes. Ultimately, of course, one has to learn to do that too.
snow report
As others have said, regular lessons are the answer. 3 weeks of probably group lessons will not have been sufficient to lay a strong enough foundation for you to rely on when it all goes a bit wrong (which it invariably will!). Plus for sure you will have picked up very bad habits over the years.
It is not “remedial” lessons that you need. In fact there is really no suck thing. Best advice is to book a couple of half day private instruction every time you go on holiday, and supplement with practice and snow dome instruction.
Just to make you feel better I have not been happy with my skiing this week. I am an instructor and very experienced. I am having a session tomorrow with a local instructor to help me work on a couple of things. I am very much looking forward to it, learning never ends and it is always helpful to have someone else to work with.
snow report
@Snowweasel,
I've just had a confidence knock on Sunday sking in Crans-Montana, my main problem was I rented skis that were way above my pay grade.
They were kicking me out at every skiddy turn.
On top of that I gave my dodgy knee a bit of a twist which made me too defensive to ski properly.
I had to take Monday off Sad
Anyway...
I've been taking development lessons in Hemel Fridge since April, then coaching almost every week. It was great for my technique and I was very confident in the Fridge.
Put me on a mountain though and all that went out the window on Sunday.
Anyway @Snowweasel,
Take lessons ... in a group is more fun and cheaper and you may be the star pupil Blush
That will really build your confidence.
I hope you get it back soon.
snow report
Thanks folks for your endorsements. Snowweasel - feel free to drop me a message via this forum and yes my 'blog' is 'The View from Val d'Isere..... and the Espace Killy' on here
snow conditions
I suggest you ask Steve to play 'follow the leader' with you.

One of the rare occasions where the ESF's 'Suivez-moi' actually works.

You have to be at least a low intermediate skier though. You'll be surprised what you can do when you're not over-thinking things.

@Steve Angus, Be gentle with him Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
@Snowweasel, I completely get where you’re coming from. With me it’s completely in my head. My husband watches me and describe my skiing as “technically excellent” and my ski instructor friend says my skiing is “really rather good”. However that doesn’t translate to my head because I’m just anxious. Sometimes I’m able to shake it off and glide down but most of the time I’m imagining what it’s going to be like to fall, what’ll happen if I injure myself, worrying about the trajectories of other skiers and catastrophising about situations. It’s exhausting and definitely worse as I’ve gotten older and skiing with my very supportive family. Worse because I worried about the kids too and transferred onto them. Me and hubby are skiing alone for the first time in ages this year so that will be interesting but he pointed out yesterday that now it’s getting closer, I’m already talking about injuries etc and “building myself up”.

One year I listened to a fear of skiing hypnotherapy download and that helped some. I should also point out that I don’t generally suffer from anxiety (except flying - that’s terrifying too!!) and am quiet a relaxed person usually but skiing brings this out in me. I don’t fall much fortunately but when I have I’ve used it as a weapon for my future skiing.

Im far worse when skiing with others because I get that constant “I’m holding them up” feeling. Plus by the time I catch up they’re rested and ready to go and I don’t get a chance to catch my breath. I found it better to do runs with my family to get familiar and then do them on my own.

So what I’m saying is, I do agree what others are saying about instructors and technique but in my case, it’s not that simple because my battle is with my head.

Reading this I’m sure some will be thinking for god’s sake give up skiing, but when all is said and done I do actually love it. I just don’t love the anxiety I feel which accompanies it. Complex huh?!! Very Happy
snow report
We've all been there. I'd suggest you go to terrain a few steps down, abandon all your buddies (or find one that really gets it. Maybe your wife? But not anyone who you feel you have to keep up with or not cry (or whatever) in front of.) And just lap this terrain again and again. No "challenges", just feeling the turns. Even better if no one is on it that you have to dodge or worry about blocking. This is about finding your peaceful place. Once you're feeling smooth and in control and maybe even bored, ramp it up a little. Maybe it's days before this happens. But until you've shed the nerves, you may feel too much pressure to perform even in a lesson. Small steps. And don't be afraid of reverting to that easier terrain anytime you need to. And seriously, ditch the gang. Skiing is 90% a head game. External pressure just worsens things. So the special friend is not the one who keeps saying, "You've got it!" when you know damn well you don't and you're faking it. They are just around to go get a beer with you at the end. I've been this special friend and it's boring as hell. But I'm pretty tolerant of repetition and I understand this phase pretty well. The trick is not showing any desire for the "skier in crisis" to be fixed. They will be fixed when they are fixed.

Once you are feeling peaceful and not freaked out and ready to take on lessons, go for it. But for a lesson to be successful, the student has to be ready. And "head issues" interfere with learning.
snow report
bambionskiis wrote:
most of the time I’m imagining what it’s going to be like to fall, what’ll happen if I injure myself, worrying about the trajectories of other skiers and catastrophising about situations.

The irony being that you're more likely to get injured if you're tensed to an incoming impact, rather than body being loose. I got taken out by a kid at the bottom of a run with a fairly long flat outrun, I was stood near a sign looking at the map and next thing I knew I was on the floor. Had I seen the lad coming and braced for impact it would have hurt (force was enough to break one of my bindings), but because I didn't know anything about it I was completely loose and just got up and went on my day.

Maybe some quiet music while skiing would help? I have some headphones which live in the ear part of my helmet and find music a fantastic addition to the mountains. It's easy enough to pause if things get a little busy or technical and I want to concentrate, but for a more cruisy run it's brilliant.
snow report
I completely get where you are coming from & am in a similar situation at the moment. The last time I skied I took a terrible fall & ended up with some nasty injuries. 11 months on & I’ve booked to go back as I don’t want the last time I skied to be the last time I skied.

Thankfully the resort we’re going to is quite good for getting back on the horse. There’s a blue all around the mountain & several easy, cruisey reds to move on to. We have a baby slope right next to the hotel so will be starting on that on my first morning. Am planning on adding/progressing to other slopes as the week goes on. We know the resort well so that also removes any additional stresses when trying a new resort.

I know it’s all in my head - I haven’t lost my skiing skills, it’s just my ability to over think things at the moment that is scaring me.

MrC is a huge supporter & an excellent ski buddy who is treating this trip as purely a confidence builder for me. I’ve told our ski friends we will see them off the slopes so I don’t put any added pressure on myself.

I’m really hoping that going back to basics will sort me out. I have had one on one lessons intermittently over the years & always come away with something new so I can highly recommend this.

All the very best for whatever you decide to do.
latest report
@SnoodyMcFlude, thanks and that’s a really good response. Especially the bit about pressure in lessons. Even one to one makes me really anxious. It’s a feeling judged thing with me.

Music - a bit of quiet background sounds is a great suggestion and I’m going to try that.

Im lucky that hubby is really patient and supportive but I feel I’m holding him back because he doesn’t like to leave me. Im definitely going to suggest some periods of solo skiing so he can go and have a play on his own!! Very Happy
latest report
@sibhusky,
Quote:

"Head issues" interfere with learning.

Very true, another reason to have a lesson or two in the benign setting of a snow dome.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@Yellow Snow,
Quote:

Having a private lesson on terrain that is the same like in the Fridges is not gonna solve much as the conditions do not vary.

Imho a consistent platform is useful for sorting out some really basic faults and for using drills to do so. If there are no variations, you can concentrate on one thing at a time, rather than having constantly to adapt to changes. Ultimately, of course, one has to learn to do that too.

Then suddenly after doing those things on a comfortable gradient in soft, man made snow you are on a hard packed, scraped piste with a heavy camber !!! I do not agree I am afraid, but ultimately we are not the ones' with the issues. I have plenty of my own - that is the joy of a counter intuitive pastime like skiing
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
@sibhusky,
Quote:

Very true, another reason to have a lesson or two in the benign setting of a snow dome.

Do you work for one of the fridges??
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chuckles3 wrote:
I completely get where you are coming from & am in a similar situation at the moment. The last time I skied I took a terrible fall & ended up with some nasty injuries.

I know it’s all in my head - I haven’t lost my skiing skills, it’s just my ability to over think things at the moment that is scaring me.

This, I think, is very relatable for many folk.

I’d describe myself as a reasonably competent skier. Not phased by varying conditions and comfortable on differing piste grades. Right up until late yesterday morning.

I was out with three friends of similar abilities, skiing around our local resort which we all know extremely well from having skied there multiple times. Beautiful day, good conditions, an early start meant most of the usual crowds hadn’t yet filtered out to the whole resort. All fine.

Right up until one of the group, upon reaching the end of a fairly benign red (wide but steep), entered a run-off area, put in a hockey-stop/slide then hit a rut, unbalanced, cartwheeled, crashed onto the frozen edge of the piste before disappearing over the edge and down into a steep sided valley. Fortunately, the soft/deep snow arrested more than a 5m descent. I’d already stopped and witnessed the whole thing. The rest of our group leapt into action, made sure he was conscious and assessed for any obvious injury/breakages. With the help of the piste patrol (who were on-scene quite quickly…this happened very near a lift station), we manoeuvred the guy back up to the piste, where he was blood waggoned off.

The remainder of our group then skied back to the carpark etc - about an hour’s ski. I felt like I’d gone back 20 years - every other skier was a threat, every mound of snow a challenge, anything scrapped or icey a hazard. For the love of God, I couldn’t force myself out of the backseat and every drill/trick in the book failed to produce strong, linked turns. Everything was over thought!

It’s not like I haven’t had some fairly spectacular tumbles now and then. So why, seeing something happen to someone else, did it impact so much? Probably because the guy is a friend and he’s a very good skier. It does reinforce the “message” that so much of skiing is in the head. So, I think I’m going to book a lesson. I’m sure the skill set is still there but could do with some outside input just to reset the head!

As an addendum, the friend has a broken hip and pelvis, was helicoptered to Salzburg and is due an operation this morning for full hip-replacement. Gotta love the Austrian approach and healthcare system….pricey but damned effective!

Good luck to the OP (and others), in resetting, having lessons and getting back in the saddle.
latest report
@bambionskiis, I could have written that! Except I do get panic in other day to day situations - very annoying. Hypnotheraphy (paid) didn't work for me. Crying or Very sad

OP, a daft question almost, but are you breathing? On my last trip husband and I both twigged I was forgetting to breathe, ending up flustered and out of breath down every piste (especially when playing catch up - we've all been there!). I do some meditation, but it's mainly focused on breathing stuff; you might want to try intentionally slowing and quickening your breath just when sitting around at home (I find the four secs in, hold 4, out 4, hold 4 most calming) then you can use that on the slopes. On steeper stuff I sometimes literally take a big noticeable breath on each turn, almost as part of the process of turning...

Otherwise, agree with all above that lessons are key. I'd say a snow dome lesson or five would be useful just to cement the key skills and 'saviour' moves like side slipping, half plough turns and stop, etc. Then you have a more solid basis on the real stuff. But otherwise I've found one-to-one with a calm, proactive instructor to be absolutely magic. I still panic but now I can usually get over it and continue after a moment knowing I'm in full control.

When skiing with other people, go in front. Make it a game for them to follow YOU - bet they find it really hard when you are in control of every turn and doing things safely and to your own liking. wink

Best of luck, and don't give up - and remember that conditions haven't been the easiest for the past couple of seasons, you may have been spooked by more ice and slush than you're used to, I certainly have. Getting the skills to deal with it all and know you're safe doing it is the one.
snow conditions
Yellow Snow wrote:

Then suddenly after doing those things on a comfortable gradient in soft, man made snow you are on a hard packed, scraped piste with a heavy camber !!! I do not agree I am afraid, but ultimately we are not the ones' with the issues. I have plenty of my own - that is the joy of a counter intuitive pastime like skiing

I think that both Hurtle and Yourself have a point.

When working on something new, or getting back to basics - a good Instructor will take you on something nice and gentle, so as to remove fear from the equation and make it easier to get to grips with what is being taught ie. without worrying about dealing with excess speed. Then, as concepts are grasped and confidence builds, you can gradually up the ante. The first part of this can be done in a Fridge.

IMV. Stance; Transition; Balancing against the outside ski; Arm position; Control; Turn shape; Mogul technique etc can all be assessed and improved in a Snowdome - Though you are right to suggest this may not sort all the issues that one encounters on a mountain. It can however, give a great grounding in the basics and thus a platform from which to handle other challenges. Further lessons on the mountain, can then take the next step and correct further problems that arise.

Snowdome lessons are not a substitute for Resort lessons but complement them ie. A useful addition, where technique can be worked on outside of the week's skiing.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 16-02-23 12:48; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
Yellow Snow wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@Yellow Snow,
Quote:

You should have seen her on heavy cambered scraped pistes last week...because of the snow dome lessons....(she skied beautifully and effortlessly on everything I saw her ski, unlike me)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 16-02-23 12:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yellow Snow wrote:

If one of the things which sets your anxiety off is skiing around lots of people then fridge skiing has got to be ideal hasn't it?
snow conditions
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
If one of the things which sets your anxiety off is skiing around lots of people then fridge skiing has got to be ideal hasn't it?
I guess you would in that case find low traffic times at a snowdome, which is easy to do. The OP complained of steeps though, so the "bunny hill" nature of an indoor slope would seem an ideal place to learn the confidence to go bigger.

ys wrote:
Do you work for one of the fridges?

I do not work, but my rule is you declare where you've a business interest or other conflict,
you don't need to declare that you don't.
snow conditions
People have mentioned a private lesson or two. The last times I got a series of lessons I requested the same instructor for the whole week. We built a rapport and could discuss how my skiing was progressing, then adapt later lessons accordingly. Distinctly better than one or two lessons.
ski holidays
Yellow Snow wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
@sibhusky,
Quote:

Do you work for one of the fridges??
No
snow report
@Cacciatore, yikes! Shocked
snow conditions
@holidayloverxx, Embarassed Thank you. But I think you must have been looking at someone else. (Ask GaryFatFingers and SteveM who nursed me, traverse by painful traverse, down a slope with an odd camber the other week...)
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

Snowdome lessons are not a substitute for Resort lessons but complement them
Absolutely agreed.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@Old Fartbag,
Quote:

Snowdome lessons are not a substitute for Resort lessons but complement them
Absolutely agreed.