Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d'Huez Conditions... help!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi! This is my first post on snowheads, and 2023 has been my first time skiing! Anyway...

I'm looking for some advice from people that have more experience than me. I have only done 6 days skiing over 3 trips since I started in January and, having a free weekend I'm planning a days trip skiing from Grenoble but not sure if Alpe d'Huez will have good conditions. There was a big snow over the weekend, but will this still be skiable by Sunday? I have been using Snow-Forecast to track the forecast and there's going to be a dusting, but I'm uneasy about spending money to go (bus, pass, hire etc) if it will be icy. Basically, I have no idea if one week is too long of a time without good snow to enjoy a day on the slopes. Im a confident blue skier so won't be going near any reds/blacks/off piste, is it a risk??

My only other option is Les 2 Alpes which I have spent a few days in before, can't really go anywhere else because I don't drive and as a broke student, Skiligne is the only way I can afford a day out haha.

Thanks for any help and advice ! Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1 days skiing? Flying, transfers, ski pass, ski hire, food… ? Really??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds like they are already in France……
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Extremophile, bit rude to a newbie! he only mentions bus, pass, hire etc - all of which he will need to have a day's skiing. Flying not involved at all. Lots of people do day trips if they live near the mountains and that's what Skiligne is for - and I'd bet real money that he's based in Grenoble.

Some of us did it on Eurostar when they did friday night out saturday night back with LastMinute
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Restless native wrote:

Maybe, I took this to mean Grenoble airport. Still, we have a very different definition or ‘broke student’.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Restless native wrote:

Yeah my son is a student in Grenoble and L2A & ADH are the most popular weekend spots because theres a bus.
Though he normally come back here to snowboard as he gets his meals & lift pass paid for Smile

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 4-04-23 15:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:
@Extremophile, bit rude to a newbie! he only mentions bus, pass, hire etc - all of which he will need to have a day's skiing. Flying not involved at all. Lots of people do day trips if they live near the mountains and that's what Skiligne is for - and I'd bet real money that he's based in Grenoble.

Some of us did it on Eurostar when they did friday night out saturday night back with LastMinute

Perhaps, but I was just looking for clarification, not trying to be rude at all. I took it that the OP meant Grenoble airport, as they didn’t specify they were already in Grenoble city.

I humbly apologise.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Extremophile wrote:

I live in Lyon, so can take a 4€ Flixbus to Grenoble, then bus+ski pass from there is between 30-50€ all in. By no means cheap but this is what I save for! Smile Any tips about conditions a week after snowfall?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
northernrookie wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

I live in Lyon, so can take a 4€ Flixbus to Grenoble, then bus+ski pass from there is between 30-50€ all in. By no means cheap but this is what I save for! Smile Any tips about conditions a week after snowfall?

Fair play! Didn’t realise it was so cheap for the bus to get to Grenoble. Used to UK prices to be fair!

I would say it’ll be pretty solid in the morning and soft maybe slushy in the afternoon. I love this time of year but I accept it’s not everyone’s ideal. We’re i Tignes at the moment and that’s what we’ve got even after the fresh snow over the weekend just gone.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 4-04-23 15:16; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm not there at the moment (but hope to be at the weekend!), but I'd say conditions should be reasonable particularly if you go higher. However, generally speaking the higher you go at ADH the more difficult the slopes get. The blues are mainly lower down, and it will be these that suffer most from a lack of snow.

You might find more information on the ADH thread at https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161480
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shrew wrote:
I'm not there at the moment (but hope to be at the weekend!), but I'd say conditions should be reasonable particularly if you go higher. However, generally speaking the higher you go at ADH the more difficult the slopes get. The blues are mainly lower down, and it will be these that suffer most from a lack of snow.

You might find more information on the ADH thread at https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161480

Thanks for your reply! I know I won't be going up to the top but hoping around lac blanc will be okay, im just worried about the ice! I was in Les Deux Alpes at the beginning of Jan and the ice on the slopes felt like a death trap, especially as my first time in the mountains Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Extremophile wrote:
northernrookie wrote:
Extremophile wrote:

Fair play! Didn’t realise it was so cheap for the bus to get to Grenoble. Used to UK prices to be fair!

I would say it’ll be pretty solid in the morning and soft maybe slushy in the afternoon. I love this time of year but I accept it’s not everyone’s ideal. We’re i Tignes at the moment and that’s what we’ve got even after the fresh snow over the weekend just gone.

Haha no worries, I have never in my life been able to afford to ski, but I can get a day in for less than 100€ with food and a pint on the slopes as well, trying to make the most of my time in Lyon before I'm back to the UK!

Honestly a good morning would do me, I was at Courchevel last weekend and it was total white-out above 2600m which was terrifying, hoping for better conditions this Weeknd !
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’m in AdH now, well Vaujany. The conditions up top are great. It’s icy on the low slopes in the morning but soft and slushy in the pm. Yes, the runs off the top of Pic Blanc are blacks but the Sarenne from Marmotte 3 is very accessible for intermediates. It’s also very quiet at the moment. Really rather good. Do it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Duck wrote:
I’m in AdH now, well Vaujany. The conditions up top are great. It’s icy on the low slopes in the morning but soft and slushy in the pm. Yes, the runs off the top of Pic Blanc are blacks but the Sarenne from Marmotte 3 is very accessible for intermediates. It’s also very quiet at the moment. Really rather good. Do it.

Thanks! Not too worried about slush moreso ice but we'll just stay higher up. Hope you're enjoying the peace and quiet before easter !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy