Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why do most people seemingly think this?

Poster: A snowHead
@gixxerniknik, no doubt there is crossover between skiing and snowboarding. There is also a lot of differences. There is a reason we generally don't see mixed competitions where snowboarders and skiers compete against each other. Which is what makes direct comparison hard - e.g. a Freeride world tour snowboarder might straight air a cliff, where's a similar ability skier would be expected to 360 the same feature.

I just think it seems more straightforward to compare on a curve. So for example is it easier to reach the top 20% of all skiers or all snowboarders? I'd hypothesise it's similar difficulty, but I don't have any evidence.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
@boarder2020, sorry still beggars belief rolling eyes

Honestly if you can't see why someone with a masters dissertation in sports technique and that has extensively used the technology behind carv can't have a general opinion on it I give up. You'd be horrified to know I have done biomechanical assessments for a top pro golfer without actually ever having played golf! There are such things as transferable skills.

Again I'd be the first to tell you that I am not the person to offer specific ski technique feedback. But that's not what I was doing in that thread. I was offering some general points about technique analysis/optimisation/variability and the limitations of using only foot pressure in quantifying technique. Of which I'm arguably much more qualified to do than someone who's only experience is actually using carv! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boarder2020, when you first weighed into that thread, there was no mention of Carv it was just about technique, yet you felt qualified to comment on it, without even putting in the caveat that you don't ski.

I'm pretty sure you've also commented in various ski-touring theads as well.

Maybe you should set up your signature to say "I'm a PHD but don't actually ski" Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, here's my original post in that thread:
[quote]
As others have said a lot of it is what was deemed the "proper" way to ski in whatever generation the person started learning.

The idea of chasing an optimum ski technique seems pretty pointless. There are too many different techniques observable in elite skiers. That's before you consider biological differences between people (i.e. hip shape may well influence stance width comfort).

Also as pointed out above, the science suggests that the best athletes have more movement variability than intermediates. (This is wierdly even true for very closed activities like piano playing and triple jump). Being flexible to adapt technique for conditions and situations is clearly advantageous to ski ability.

Quote:

Imo this is a problem with the technique focused approach skiers take. Is changing technique actually going to improve performance? What is the end goal?

I have spoken before about my instructor friend with beautiful technique who can't ski off piste to save her life. On the other hand I'm nowhere close to technically perfect, but can get down most things with decent style - which I expect is the goal for many. Improving my technique would take money and time which could be spent much more enjoyably elsewhere. While it may make me slightly better, it's not going to open up anything new for me I can't already do.

In fairness to you, I didn't specifically state when I was talking about my technique it was in relation to snowboarding. So perhaps I could have been more clear, but I've never claimed to ski, and my username is probably a bit of a give away.

I don't think it really changes the point of my post though. There's nothing in there particularly controversial. As you can see it's very general more science/theory based stuff. I'm certainly not trying to act as a coach or offer any technical advice. (In fact my main argument is that "optimum" technique is a bit of a fallacy!).

As always, feel free to pm me if you want to discuss it rather than derail this thread. Thanks for the distraction though, I'm sitting on the trainer and your posts are a nice distraction snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@boarder2020, well hopefully now people will take a lot of your posts with the pinch of salt that they deserve, I always when reading yours had my BS radar going Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, I'm pretty sure what @boarder2020 has credentialised is his ability to do biomechnical analysis while being sport agnostic. I can see in some circumstances being a skier might actually inhibit the objectiveness of observations if the commentator superimposes what he thinks might be going on from his own experience. You trust Carv implicitly yet it can't actually ski either it's just software running off data from a logging device. I'd be impressed (and it would actually probably be good marketing) if Carv could build a Carvbot that took it's optimal scores and actually skied. In fact the Carvbot could do a really interesting progression from bag of spanners through dangerous wonk and blue run hero to skiing god.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/x4fdUx6d4QM

Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Dave of the Marmottes, there's also been a whole history of him commenting on other posts, without the tiny little caveat that he doesn't actually ski, which I find a tad frustrating, and how are we to know that he is as qualified as he says he is. I would have thought with all his sports science, nutrition etc etc he'd have a website or something?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 9-02-23 9:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Human technique and interaction with the technical.....

http://youtube.com/v/A6hSV5K1S94

Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@boarder2020, how is there ANY skill crossover between boarding and skiing??

I mean there’s precious little between skating and skiing and at least you’re facing the same direction Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My people don't as much take crossover skills from skiers - more 'warnings from history'. It's why flatland tricks are limited to 3 each to prevent the outbreak of ski ballet.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, it’s the old argument between book learning & real world experience. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, the last time you made out I was lying about my experiences I took photos of passport pages showing I'd been to a bunch of places you doubted and a bunch of season passes for resorts across BC. Never did get a sorry, perhaps I shouldn't have claimed you were a liar with no evidence wink

I don't think you are stupid, so maybe you are just trolling. Either way I'm on the trainer and bored so let's kill some time.

In sports science it's absolutely normal that someone with a fundamental understanding of general concepts can apply them to individual sports. As I said above, I did biomechanical assessments for a few golfers without ever having played. Last time I was in a lab having my cycling lactate thresholds measured the women doing it has zero interest in cycling. Any good dietician can prescribe a pretty good diet plan to any athlete without knowing the technicalities and intricacies of a specific sport.

Giving an example relevant to yourself I could show you a photo of a bike, with all its specs, components, groupset, weight etc. I'm sure you would be able to make a pretty good assessment of some of its pros/cons and how it could be improved. All without ever having even seen the bike in person or ridden it.

On the other end of things I have a friend of a friend with a very nice canyon speedmax. He couldn't even tell you what groupset is on it! Some sports engineers know more about bikes than 99% of world tour pros without ever riding a bike. The idea that using something provides expertise or vice versa is very flawed

I would be the first to tell you I'm not the person to offer practical coaching. My background is very much the other end of the spectrum in the theory and scientific testing. Over the years I've had many interesting discussions with coaches and ofcourse we don't agree on everything, but there is learning in both directions.

If you have a criticism of anything I've said feel free to point out what is wrong with it. There are plenty of alternate theories of skill acquisition and movement analysis, we can have a very interesting conversation.

Simply saying someone's opinion is not valid, without being able to point to what they've actually said being wrong is a bit authoritarian. Carv aren't sponsoring one of your reviews are they?! snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@boarder2020, like I said, just put a simple cavaet in your signature saying you don't actually ski.

Trust me I'll be the first to point that little fact out next time you post in a thread about skiing Laughing
snow report
Weathercam wrote:
@boarder2020, like I said, just put a simple cavaet in your signature saying you don't actually ski.

Trust me I'll be the first to point that little fact out next time you post in a thread about skiing Laughing

Maybe next winter I'll just do one day on skis, then my opinion becomes valid? Do I even need a full day or will just an hour do? snowHead

Again, show what I say is actually wrong. In the sporting achievements thread we talk a lot about sports science. I would never say to someone "your opinion is not valid because you don't have any qualifications in sports science". If I disagree I can explain why I think differently and usually point to the research the backs up why I think that way. Thats how normal people discuss things. Not, "I don't like your opinion so it's not valid". snowHead

Still waiting for the apology for last time you called me a liar and I proved I wasn't. wink The funny thing is I expect if we ever met in person we'd actually get on quite well and have a lot in common.
snow report
@boarder2020, the reason I didn't apologise was that it all seemed a little vague, post your intervals.icu and I'll apologise, and might even buy you a beer should we ever meet up Laughing
latest report
So the thread is up to four pages now, CBA to re-read every reply, but just going back to the original post, does _anyone_ actually "think that snowboarding is more difficult than skiing" ?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@boarder2020, how is there ANY skill crossover between boarding and skiing??

There's loads. I've not boarded for 20+ years, and then only a few times to get the hang of it, but I have successfully used my ski instructor knowledge to help improve snowboarders, on and off piste.

The physics of the ski or board, the shape, the edge(s) work the same way for both, so the rider is trying to do similar things with their weight distribution and rotation to make it work best. Notably, the "weight too far back" problem is equally true for both, particularly noticeable on steep off-piste, which for both the can lead to issues like over-rotation, and is really quite easy to spot once you know what you're looking for, and for which in both cases the remedy can be to lean downhill over the board/skis (oversimplifying, but YKWIM).

So yeah, IME a decent boarder will pick up skiing _much_ more quickly than someone who's starting from fresh.
latest report
Personally I found snowboarding more difficult but then I went snowboarding a couple of times in my twenties with no lessons. I did find if I caught the front edge I made contact very heavily with the snow in about a 1000th of a second. I also almost broke my coccyx and was almost in tears every time I fell backwards until there was a massive dump of snow. I really struggled with drag lifts and at the end of the one day with a long queue for the lift the attendant after I fell off several times let me lay on my back and get dragged up the mountain. I was also quite fit at the time but after about a thousand uphill sit ups in the first few days was a bit achey. But I absolutely loved it. Then I took up skiing and had lessons every year for several years. Nowhere near as many falls and even when I have fallen I’ve always had time to put my hands out. Lifts are easier as are flat sections. If I had several weeks a year I’d love to do both.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
....So yeah, IME a decent boarder will pick up skiing _much_ more quickly than someone who's starting from fresh.....

A Snowboarder Facing A Steep Learning Curve

When a backcountry snowboarder for over 30 years decides to swap one plank for two, how hard can it be? Check out how our sideways rider is on a steep learning curve and finding his way in a ski resort...

https://www.stylealtitude.com/snowboarder-learning-to-ski.html

Only trouble was staying with me often results in too much red wine and meat Laughing
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
So the thread is up to four pages now, CBA to re-read every reply, but just going back to the original post, does _anyone_ actually "think that snowboarding is more difficult than skiing" ?

Yeah, that escalated slowly.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@boarder2020, the reason I didn't apologise was that it all seemed a little vague, post your intervals.icu and I'll apologise, and might even buy you a beer should we ever meet up Laughing

Only just saw this, don't really check snowheads other than when I'm on the trainer. Pretty sure intervals.icu has zero to do with my qualifications to talk about sports technique though snowHead
snow conditions
@boarder2020, How else will you know that you're properly having fun unless you can correlate and corroborate it in your Seiler Decoupling Chart.
snow report
@Richard_Sideways, HR decoupling is for amateurs. I take blood lactate samples on each lift to make sure I'm still in zone 2. Unless you are drawing blood you are certainly not having fun snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Can we go back to the original post?

Mid4656 wrote:
I am lucky enough to ski or board for around 14 weeks each winter. I do snowboard but generally prefer skiing as it is more challenging and arguably more versatile and certainly takes much longer to become very proficient. I am sometimes intrigued by my perception that most people seem to think that snowboarding is more difficult than skiing when clearly the opposite is true, apart from perhaps the first two or three days. I am wondering whether others here might have an answer to that question?

What evidence do you have that...
a) most people think that.
b) the opposite is true.
c)what was the question....

And (separately) to save me trawling back through 4pages, when did the @boarder2020, @Weathercam, spat start?

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 14-02-23 20:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
adithorp wrote:
...And (separately) to save me trawling back through 4pages, when did the @boarder2020, @Weathercam, spat start?

About four years ago when I began to question how genuine his posts were, aka BS Laughing

And the icing on the cake this time was when he let slip he's never actually skied yet thinks he's qualified to comment on numerous posts about skiing based on his supposed academic record, which now seems to envelop every conceivable aspect of sports science rolling eyes
latest report
@adithorp, Laughing Laughing Laughing

People got so serious on a thread that’s largely entertainment! rolling eyes
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:
@adithorp, Laughing Laughing Laughing

People got so serious on a thread that’s largely entertainment! rolling eyes

While both being wrong Toofy Grin
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
adithorp wrote:
...And (separately) to save me trawling back through 4pages, when did the @boarder2020, @Weathercam, spat start?

About four years ago when I began to question how genuine his posts were, aka BS Laughing

And the icing on the cake this time was when he let slip he's never actually skied yet thinks he's qualified to comment on numerous posts about skiing based on his supposed academic record, which now seems to envelop every conceivable aspect of sports science rolling eyes

He disagrees with my take on some things he likes such as carv and Strava. Plus generally likes to play devils advocate (I'm pretty sure some of the things he's argued for he doesn't really believe, or he just has zero understanding of the science). He has numerous requests for my Strava or intervals.icu which seems a bit weird as it's never had anything to do with what we are discussing.

Yes you called me out for lying. Which I showed wasn't the case, uploading passport stamps and a bunch of season passes. I have a degree in sports science, msc in sports biomechanics, PhD in biomechanics, and have provided biomechanical analysis to elite golfers. I think I'm more than qualified to understand general theories/principles of technique/skill acquisition/movement variability than most, and it's not particularly hard to apply them to skiing. Which is very different to actually offering technical feedback or advice on how someone could improve - which I avoid, that's for someone with actual ski coaching qualifications, which I've never claimed to have.

Similarly I've never claimed to ski. My username is pretty clear that I snowboard. So not really a "gotcha" moment. As I keep saying, show me what I've said is wrong. Ignoring someone's actual points and just going after their credibility just makes it look like you have no real argument. I suppose you have some pretty good coaching credentials to be able to discuss skiing at such a high level though?! snowHead

It's become a bit tedious. I'd rather he just messaged me personally to discuss things rather than sidetracking threads. I'm probably equally to blame for bothering to reply, but as I've said it's a nice way to kill time on the trainer.
snow conditions
boarder2020 wrote:
[.....He has numerous requests for my Strava or intervals.icu which seems a bit weird as it's never had anything to do with what we are discussing.....

Of course, it has, as you tell people about how we should all be training in the road bike and fitness/running thread(s), so it's naturally interesting to see if you actually practice rather than merely preach, and as you steadfastly refuse I can only guess it's the latter.

Various SnowHeads on here are actually members of the Strava Snowheads Club so we can all see what each other does, and as you're such an elite trainer coach it would be great to see how you are training and what lessons we can learn and then ask you, you could be SnowHeads Coach in Chief Laughing

And then it transpires after contributing to numerous ski threads, you don't actually ski and then try to weasel your way out, no wonder I'm a cynical old bastardo Laughing

@boarder2020, anyway pm sent Toofy Grin

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 15-02-23 15:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Weathercam, so you're suggesting that someone can only talk with validity on a subject if they can prove that they're capable of performing at a certain level?
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, in a word, yes.

I bow to experience / physical practice and not to armchair Mountain Guides and the like, maybe I'm too old school rolling eyes

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 15-02-23 17:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Weathercam, oh, well you're wrong.
ski holidays
@SnoodyMcFlude, well one could say it would be like trusting a so-called guide in Japan, would you do that now based on recent revelations, or would you prefer to know that they knew what they were doing?

In fact, as I alluded to in that thread, one of the guides we had was a classic example, and he was a snowboarder too.

Wow have I brought this thread back on subject Laughing
ski holidays
@Weathercam, one could say that, but you'd still be wrong. It is possible to be extremely knowledgeable in theory whilst not necessarily being able to put that into practice, potentially for several reasons. E.g you are unlikely to find a single top level athlete who doesn't have a coach or coaches that are not as good as the athlete. By you're "only have validity if you're better than me" approach, Mikaela Shiffrin would just be going solo Laughing

Or do world cup wins only count if you put them on Strava? Toofy Grin
snow report
@SnoodyMcFlude,
Quote:

you are unlikely to find a single top level athlete who doesn't have a coach or coaches that are not as good as the athlete.

Yep, and the same applies to the countless world-famous classical musicians who credit their success to teachers who have almost never performed on the concert stage. But I've had this argument before on the forum...
ski holidays
This isn't even good sport. It's a bit like watching Charlie Chaplin in character going into a boxing ring with a champion, trying to land punches, and convinced he's winning. You could imagine the referee stopping it & the Tramp refusing to accept his authority, still utterly convinced that he'd won.
snow report
I was watching the Super Bowl last night - the head coach of the Eagles had a nothing playing career.
snow conditions
So you'd all be happy going out with a non qualified guide into the mountains because he had a PhD in some vaguely related subject and was quite good at people skills rolling eyes

Or letting an Osteo treat you without their five years of study etc

For sure there are loads of winning coaches that never excelled at their discipline but they had a track record.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 15-02-23 17:57; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy