Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling all Hampshire/Surrey snowHeads (and any other southern jessies too!)

Poster: A snowHead
Hey, Dunk, Mary's picture of you's made it into the big wide world - here, and the same report is on Peter Heath's www.britski.org site too.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN, did you get the email from Mary with the link to her site and her photos here

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 6-07-06 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ray Zorro, yep....and the noticeable presence of certain people in the "Did not start" list - they can run but they cannot hide!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GrahamN, Blimey - Andy Dobel - now that's a name from the past. Next time you see him say hello from me!!! tom looking a bit heavy, Margot Wells looking great!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, can't see "Ray Zorro" on either list wink

Actually, I am thinking that I might come along this Saturday morning. What time do you all get there and what time does it start?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, starts at 8am, runs until 9:30. I'm afraid neither Brian nor I will be there, as we have a race in Brentwood, and the other regular racer is off to a Club National race in Gloucester. The others will be there though (probably about half-a-dozen), so please do go along and introduce yourself.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GrahamN, good luck at Brentwood, look forward to reading a full race report. What you can not tell from that photo is the swearing chuntering that was going on. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great pictures everyone ! Does this mean the LSERSA races are going to get more competetive than ever ? snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GrahamN, thanks for that - good luck in your race. Will there be anyone there that was there last week?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski, I am not sure what you mean by competitive, certainly more people will be going along.
Ray Zorro, the two ladies who I ski with in Guildford will be going Emma and Alison. Along with two others who are not old enough to be masters yet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, there's some bloke in those pictures who's wearing your clothes!! What a cheek. Weird name as well Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy, Laughing but I remember your real name from SCGB days too Razz
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, ahem - shouldn't you be at work in your shiny new offices? And if you're not a member of the SCGB you've got a bl00dy good memory! Although I always thought that cathy wasn't a very believable pseudonym NehNeh
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cathy, Laughing no I'm not a member of SCGB but it was the fact that you mis-typed? it when you came here always stayed with me for some strange reason. Unfortunatley my memory appears to be inversely proportional to the importance of the item. I may remember what was number one in March 1972, but will forget a meeting with an important client rolling eyes

GrahamN, I am glad you put that reminder on DC, I was just about to bottle out of it, but because of your message I didn't and really enjoyed Aldershot this morning. There were only 4 there + Adrian, so it was almost 1:1 tuition . I like his approach and a couple of things really clicked today. I will be back Very Happy

How did you get on in Brentwood?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, That all sounds good to me, was Adrian skiing too?
latest report
IncogSkiSno, ah, sorry, that mistake is my fault, I should have thought about that. Adrian is the instructor, not the snowHead that came to watch last week.
snow report
Ray Zorro, well done...see you next week (car permitting..the engine sort of blew up just as I came off the M25 and I then limped the 10 miles back home Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad ).

Racing today were interesting. This is a fairly flat slope, with a very narrow race run. The course was therefore pretty straight, but with a couple of quite tight turns half way down to catch out anyone not entirely on the ball. Watching others come down the slope showed that this was a course which really rewarded being smooth; the more you worked the skis (unless you were clearly really good) the slower you seemed to go. After a faily rubbish first run, before I'd twigged that point, where I was working the skis far too hard and clearly don't have the skill to do so, I put in as low energy run as I could for the 2nd and took over a full second off my time. So much to my surprise, I ended up a smidgeon ahead of ski after the 2nd run. He then psyched me out by telling me so Sad Very Happy and tensing up while trying to repeat that 2nd run I came within a hairs breadth of getting disqualified half way down the important final run - but that put me off enough to slip 0.11 sec behind him overall. Interestingly the guy splitting us in the final rankings was one of Dunk's clubmates. Still, yet another 2% off my fastest time (calibrated against the time of the scarily consistent young lad who skis in both series and normally wins the SRSA races), and over 10% off the overall compared to the previous LSERSA race - but I need another 6% to catch the guys ahead of me in age group, and 9% to catch the best guy in our training group (he'd been improving at the same rate at me over the early races Sad , but seems to have topped out for the last three races Smile at a consistent 18% off that leader). Next race now 7 weeks away - so plenty of time to get a load more training in!

Good to meet gsb also, who was acting the role of dutiful parent, coach, gate marshal and general dogsbody.
ski holidays
GrahamN, sounds good - at least you are still improving, but sorry to hear about the car. Do they average the times, take your best or what? Why is the final run the all-important one?
snow report
Ray Zorro, LSERSA (And I think Eastern Region too) use the same format as the Club Nationals (the next level up); your time is taken over 3 runs, the better of the first two added to the third. Hence you can blow out either the first or the second (provided you get in for the other one), but if you blow out the third then you get no overall time recorded and the day's completely wasted (other than as a learning exercise rolling eyes ). SRSA is much more oriented to beginners and less pressure (alternatively, less of a challenge) as the time is simply that for the best single run out of three (and you get to practice down the course before the race itself starts).

The next level up beyond Club Nationals is Grand Prix and is more along World Cup lines; i.e. simply the sum of 2 runs - so no lifelines at all - with the course being reset between runs.
snow conditions
GrahamN, Well done ! snowHead It was good to see you again .. More snowHead 's welcome ! My own performance (sounding like and old record), would be best described as 'tries hard but could do better'.....did alright in the afternoon with our 'fun' team winning in the dual slalom tho' snowHead snowHead

That's it for me 'til Sept 9th at Southampton wink

We often describe plastic as being a very uniform surface, Brentwood was an example of how (sometimes) it's anything but ! Shocked The top half of the course was quite steep, old wet matting... quite fast. The bottom, however, was new, dry matting. Right on the change of gradient (of course) was a combination of gates set to challenge your balance, and slow you down just before the dry mat. So unless you took the combination really quick (and took the risk of skiing out).. then no matter how fast you went at the top, you'd still die at the bottom.... s Sad
snow report
Well done Graham. It's great to see you imroving - it really is worth it isn't it? I shall look forward to the next installment in due course. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy