Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foam or wood core Skis????

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys (and Gals)

Have spent the past few years renting skis and am now looking to purchase. Have demo’d Head Supersharpe and Volkl Attiva and above. All good.

I’ve been told that Head (and Rossi too) are foam core while Volkl (and Elan) are wood core. They say wood is better because it doesn’t break down as quickly and stays “firm”. Is this true????

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just luv Skiin', welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I have no idea as to the answer to your question, however I have Volkl 5* which I like very much. Why not buy the ones you like best and if they wear out, you'll have to buy some new ones! Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good God. Head skis foam core? You'd better change your source of information Razz

Whilst I have a bias towards wood cored skis - for the longevity, the feel, and characteristics, it all depends what you want, and are looking for to get out of your skis.

Do you ski for more than say 40 days per year?
How many seasons do you intend of keeping your skis?
Are you an aggressive skier?
Level of abuse you are giving the skis? (park, rails, boxes etc.)
etc.

It's probably accurate to say that there are not very many high performance pure foam skis out there. Atomics, for example, have a beta channel in combination with the foam running through the ski to give it it's characteristics.

I have ski'd foam skis that I thought were quite good, but probably on balance wouldn't buy them as I need them to last longer than 80 days in a season; besides which I can't stand the noise foam skis make on snow! Razz

No doubt this will spark a debate!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Level of abuse you are giving the skis?
Sod you skis, go in the the right bloody direction, you no good pieces of crud Wink

Welcome to snowHeads Just luv Skiin' snowHead

I'm just going to echo the above really.
Go for what feels best to you now.
It's not like foam cores wear out after a week!

If you're skiing all season, the chances are you'll want something new next year anyway and if you're only skiing a few days or a few weeks per season, you're unlikely to notice a grat deal of difference in the ski.

btw. I'm given to understand that any wood core ski made in Europe is actually built by Elan, whatever the brand name it ends up with.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That would be difficult, as the Elan factory is in Slovenia, and the Head Factory is in Kennelbach, Austria.
Shocked (Fischer factory in Reid, Austria)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
... and mine (according to the marketing blurb) were built in the Dynastar race room in the shadow of Mont Blanc (and no, I don't think that shadow stretches to Slovenia wink )
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll check up on that but that's what I was told by someone who probably ought to know.
I'll get back to u on this.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
veeeight, All the real Elan skis are made by Nordica in Italy. Little Angel
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
All the normal nordica skis are made at the Elan factory Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Which would explain the topsheet problems NehNeh
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, paulhothersall,
Quote:

All the normal nordica skis are made at the Elan factory

Quote:

All the real Elan skis are made by Nordica in Italy

Interesting, and K2's are made in China
so.....
Any skis made of china re manufactured in the shadow of K2, by Elan and marketed by Nordica

admin, please come to our rescue!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just reviving this one as someone recently asserted that Head skis were manufactured in China....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
veeeight wrote:
Just reviving this one as someone recently asserted that Head skis were manufactured in China....

they certainly are not Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, I think they confused Head with k2! Little Angel
snow report
veeeight wrote:
Yes, I think they confused Head with k2! Little Angel

And Volkl.
snow report
1) You ski on wood and shave with foam
2) If God wanted us to ski on plastic (foam) skis he would have planted plastic trees
snow conditions
i also can confirm that most snowboards are made in the Elan factory and that many other manufacturers use Elan to make their race skis.

Elan make some of the most innovative skis on the planet supported by the worst marketing.

Alought they are using Glen Plake this year to promote their skis - which means he will be changing his hair to green.

Not all K2's are made in China - high performance and race are still made in fashion island.

Did you know that both Harrods and Lillywhites use to make their own skis in house? Lillywhites also made leather ski boots?

Can't see JJB sport doing that !!
ski holidays
Wood
snow report
tailskidder, fashion island? Or Vashon Island? Wink
snow conditions
Have it on very good authority that since K2 moved manufacture to China that the actual quality has increased by a significant percentage, with fewer returns due to faulty product than ever....
ski holidays
Guvnor, did I tell you that? (I've heard it too)
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat, Not on this occasion....I drink with one of the lads at Shakespeare - a very useful person to know wink

edited for my fat finger typing Embarassed
ski holidays
wood core for me, dont do foam
ski holidays
Not bothered. If it works, it works.

I've one of each, no doubt I'll change them before I need to anyway. snowHead
snow report
Well my foam core B2's started seriously delaminating after only 7 weeks skiing. Am going to contact Rossignol and see what they say.
ski holidays
It was my impression generally on here that a number of folks recommend wood core skis as the best. Is this right?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy