Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SIM card for Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any recommendations for SIM cards for Switzerland? My requirements are 1-2Gb data for 1 week, probably don't require any calling.

Just came back from France and I got the Lebara one for £5 which came with 3Gb, great value. Unfortunately it doesn't cover Switzerland though Sad

Ideally something that can be organised before the trip so avoid faffing around once there.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use this:

Three Mobile Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband 24 GB data SIM https://amzn.eu/d/6wvWzFB

Lasts 24 months. It's also really useful in the UK when you don't have reception on your normal SIM, assuming you're not on Three already. Android even has menu shortcut to quickly swap data SIMs in dual SIM phones.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@viciousvulture, I was adamant Lebara covered CH, but just looking, seems like it doesn't!

I'm going to need to move elsewhere then, as i'm in CH for 5 weeks in March/April.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swskier, there is a swiss lebara https://lebara.ch/en
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, just checking over the Airbnb bookings I have, and seems both apartments have WiFi, so might just make do without using my phone during the day, as i'll be skiing anyway. See how it goes, if not the 3GB sim with Lebara CH might be an option.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have a uk lebara sim, £5 per month. Works fine in France but unfortunately no free roaming in Switzerland. It did work in Ch for a couple of months last summer but seems to have changed since. I do add a manual top up in case of emergencies but is eye wateringly expensive. Cost me 49p to receive one text at Geneva airport the other day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got a Lyca SIM, arrived yesterday and couldn't work out why I couldn't even receive texts when I first got here. I guess that might be why £1 has disappeared from the £5 credit I topped up yesterday.

Still, considering I'm paying them £0.01 per month for the first 6 months (offer via Money Saving Expert), I don't really have grounds to complain.

It's just a bit odd because the 2GB of free roaming data does seem to be working!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I’ve used a giffgaff SIM there before but the deals change (as they did with Lebara) just find and get an Prepaid SIM that covers your requirements at the best cost. They’ll all much of a muchness, except don’t buy a 3 SIM from their Amazon “deals”, or you will discover that they have the worst customer service ever.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did have a look at the Swiss Lebara, certainly a premium product! 3Gb for 4 weeks / 19.90 CHF
There were also Lebara stands in Geneva Airport, presumably selling the same type of stuff.

What about airalo?

https://www.airalo.com/switzerland-esim

It's an eSIM, not sure what the ramifications are. But they offer 1Gb for 7 days for $4.50, seems pretty good to me
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am using an Orange Travel SIM, which works in Austria and CH. I am pleased with it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@viciousvulture, a UK Tesco SIM (O2 is the carrier) includes Switzerland in their Europe wide roaming - we pay £10 per month for 10GB and Swiss or French data just comes out of our monthly UK allowance.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oui4ski wrote:
@viciousvulture, a UK Tesco SIM (O2 is the carrier) includes Switzerland in their Europe wide roaming - we pay £10 per month for 10GB and Swiss or French data just comes out of our monthly UK allowance.

That's a great deal. I pay £6 a month for Three which gives a measly 1Gb and no Europe roaming.

So you don't pay any roaming charges, just £10 a month?!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@oui4ski, you had me excited until I checked Tesco sim only deals. They all say free roaming only until late spring 2023. With 12 and 24 month contract.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
viciousvulture wrote:
I did have a look at the Swiss Lebara, certainly a premium product! 3Gb for 4 weeks / 19.90 CHF
There were also Lebara stands in Geneva Airport, presumably selling the same type of stuff.

What about airalo?

https://www.airalo.com/switzerland-esim

It's an eSIM, not sure what the ramifications are. But they offer 1Gb for 7 days for $4.50, seems pretty good to me

After looking further, eSim is only available on newer phones. I'lll need a physical SIM...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
O2 do some good deals on rolling 30 day PAYG SIMS which include roaming.
snow report
@pateman99, Interesting - they haven't yet told us that our EU + Switzerland roaming will end in late spring!
ski holidays
Smarty do 24Gb for £8 a month on a rolling 1 month contract, so you could stop it straight after your hols.

You can have up to 12Gb of your 24Gb monthly allowance as roaming.

PM me if you want a link and we each make £10 extra out of it
snow report
My normal 3 sim still allows free roaming in most countries including France and CH, they have introduced a "fair use" policy that limits you to 12gb whilst away per month I think 0.03p per mb after the 12g is gone.
ski holidays
We got a Talkmobile rolling 30 day contract that had 30GB data and free roaming for less than £4 earlier this year.

Cancelled when we got home and had a £1.30 refund from the unused days on the contract.
snow report
I have Lebara on my mobile, their website says both that Switzerland is and isn't covered dso I turned it off as we travelled through last week.

My wife has a Popit sim and we also have one in a mifi, both have worked all the way to Italy. With Popit you can use ALL your data allowance abroad including Switzerland. Hers is 1Gb for £8pm but we are often in Switzerland. The one in the mifi is 100Gb for £25pm but you can put it into dormant mode for 80p when not required.

Uses EE in UK. Had a good speed in Switzerland but Germany seemed a bit variable.
snow conditions
eblunt wrote:
Smarty do 24Gb for £8 a month on a rolling 1 month contract, so you could stop it straight after your hols.

You can have up to 12Gb of your 24Gb monthly allowance as roaming.

PM me if you want a link and we each make £10 extra out of it

Switzerland not included in their EU roaming

https://smarty.co.uk/roaming/europe/
snow report
alasdair.graham wrote:
My normal 3 sim still allows free roaming in most countries including France and CH, they have introduced a "fair use" policy that limits you to 12gb whilst away per month I think 0.03p per mb after the 12g is gone.

I'm with 3 as well, but your plan must've started before 1Oct21. Contracts after this point don't include roaming.
snow conditions
Switzerland is included in EEs Europe zone so covered by their PAYG plans.
snow report
ster wrote:
Switzerland is included in EEs Europe zone so covered by their PAYG plans.

Shame they're so expensive, particularly now I can't get staff discount!
snow conditions
We’ve BT family SIM, ok it’s a 12 month contract, but a discount as we’ve BT broadband.
Less than 10 a month, 40GB per SIM. Drawbacks, no pooling of allowance or rollover.
Chosen as summer we holiday on Swiss-EU border so didn’t want the risk running up huge bills. Winter we ski Switzerland.
Once you’re signed up with BT, I found customer service great and they’ll try to match deals etc to keep you signed up.
snow report
Is there any good option for keeping an active Suisse sim and only putting on $ when you need it? I tend to go to Switzerland several times a year, sometimes as a last-minute long weekend. Last trip I got a Sunrise sim, which does stay active as long as you don't go 1 year without any use, however I just noticed that I can not top it up/add a new plan for anything online (they only accept Swiss-only payment app or non US/UK/Japan credit cards. No bank cards, no paypal, nada). I'm getting tired of having to find a shop every time I blast down for a few days...
snow conditions
Satchboogie wrote:
Is there any good option for keeping an active Suisse sim and only putting on $ when you need it? I tend to go to Switzerland several times a year, sometimes as a last-minute long weekend. Last trip I got a Sunrise sim, which does stay active as long as you don't go 1 year without any use, however I just noticed that I can not top it up/add a new plan for anything online (they only accept Swiss-only payment app or non US/UK/Japan credit cards. No bank cards, no paypal, nada). I'm getting tired of having to find a shop every time I blast down for a few days...

Swisscom will accept top-ups from any Visa / Mastercard etc.
latest report
What is it with Swiss charges, anyone know? My contract used to cover them without problem, but recently I transited through Zurich, made the mistake of looking at my phone a couple of times, and suddenly got a message that I'd breached my €50 limit. Plus a few of the comments above - why has Switzerland changed?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm with Virgin mobile. My PAYG monthly SIM contract covers me for the EU, but not Switzerland. Sad Quite inconvenient, so when I'm in Switzerland I try to restrict myself to just using WiFi.
latest report
my sky sim is £2 a day for data and UK calls. Swiss numbers are £1.70 per min ! ouch BA are getting a bill for £85. (EU is only 55p / min)
snow report
mikeg2 wrote:
my sky sim is £2 a day for data and UK calls. Swiss numbers are £1.70 per min ! ouch BA are getting a bill for £85. (EU is only 55p / min)

Can you clarify why BA are getting the bill?
snow report
they lost my luggage and had to chase the airport and courier company.
bag arrived at hotel after I got home and has now been returned, thankfully
snow conditions
@mikeg2, thanks, good luck with your claim against BA for the phone bill. Let us know if they do cough up, I suspect you may have a bit of a struggle....
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
I'm with Virgin mobile. My PAYG monthly SIM contract covers me for the EU, but not Switzerland. Sad Quite inconvenient, so when I'm in Switzerland I try to restrict myself to just using WiFi.

I've just today received an email from Virgin Mobile stating that following Virgin Mobile having joined O2 in 2021 my mobile services are moving to an O2 30 day rolling plan (at the same price as previously) as from 19th May 2023. My data allowance is increased and there's free roaming across 49 European countries (6 more than Virgin mobile) including now Switzerland. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy