Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wiggly skis - fast straight line - scary!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
@22dropout - difficult to get a video as I generally ski alone (although this season I have mostly skied with someone else, but only 6 or 7 times!)! But I will ask someone to do that next season. Although I have already agreed with a friendly instructor to have a lesson once a fortnight minimum up until Feb, so hopefully he can iron out any issues with me!

@limegreen1 - I'm totally happy carving, just chose not to this season; with the two injuries I just didn't want to go fast in general.
The times I did head down straight line speed was on two particular pistes where speed is necessary to get to the next point. I can't pole due to lack of arm mobility on one side and don't risk skating as I've never cracked that and really didn't want to try but fall and damage the knee with the plate on it! If I don't go fast enough to get to the 'tunnel' or the rope pull, I have to take my skis off and walk (which was the option on a different day just because I wasn't up for attempting speed, even with all the advice!! Very Happy ). When I do engage on the slopes for normal skiing, I love my skis and skiing! It was just those two pistes that needed the speed and that's the only places I got the wobble! Very Happy Very Happy

@Chaletbeauroc - I do need to make an effort to concentrate on long speedy bits to get the knack. I had a little go a couple of weeks ago, on different skis (!), but found it hard to just put a very slight edge on; I seem to be able to turn/carve, but not be very gentle!! LOL And, I'm definitely not leaning back, at worst my weight is over my feet, but going down in a straight line, weight definitely forward! (No video, but did get confirmation from a ski buddy! LOL)

@phil_w - there is an element of fear of change in how I ski. 99.9% of the time I ski fine because I know the pistes and how to manage them/my skis. It's that tiny amount when I go somewhere different with a ski buddy and find I need to change what I do. I've not skied a lot or hard for the last 6 seasons due to injuries. The two days I had the wobble were days I skied the best I think I have ever skied!! LOL But, I do need to get better!

I tried some MissConduct skis a couple of weeks ago. 169 rather than the 167 of my Talkbacks - but apparently the rockers mean they aren't as long as I think! I rather like them, but I wasn't in the best form (tired and stressed). I did find a similar wobble but just didn't go as fast and took skis off and walked the one time we did the run to the tunnel!

I know I don't lean back. My general skiing is pretty good (did a black twice on one day, just cos the snow was good and we were having fun!), but I know I lack confidence - partly due to not skiing much for the last few seasons, but also, especially this season, due to a plate in my leg that will be coming out in 4 and a bit weeks. Have just been desperate not to have an accident/fall that would cause the knee to explode around the plate!! (Or to damage the shoulder!).

Anyway. Despite the amazing conditions this, I've bailed and am waiting patiently for next season, the lessons I've agreed with the guy that taught me to ski and being fit and one bit of metal less!! LOL

I will keep the Talkbacks for touring (on piste initially) because I love them. Apart from those two pistes where I got a wobble, they are awesome. The MissConducts - well, I think I need to finally retry some boots I bought 7 years ago and wore 6 times because, whilst they fitted fine, they were too stiff for me back then. Having tried the MissConducts with the normal alpine boot I use, I think they need to be ridden harder and I suspect the stiffer boot will be better. BUT - it will all be a case of try it and see next season when I'm fitter and less worried about injury!! LOL

Thanks loads for all the comments and advice - it gave me loads to think about and I will revisit this conversation before the start of next season! Very Happy Very Happy xxx
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@chaletgirl, really basic compared to the advice above, but I had the same problem. On a course last month the instructor suggested that I have a bit of one-sidedness, apparent also in turn shape from one side to the other. She suggested that on the straight/flat skis I put my head slightly to the weak side, to have the effect of slightly weighting that ski more (though in effect evening out the weight). It worked!

Might be worth a try? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ElzP wrote:
@chaletgirl, really basic compared to the advice above, but I had the same problem. On a course last month the instructor suggested that I have a bit of one-sidedness, apparent also in turn shape from one side to the other. She suggested that on the straight/flat skis I put my head slightly to the weak side, to have the effect of slightly weighting that ski more (though in effect evening out the weight). It worked!

Might be worth a try? Madeye-Smiley

Actually, that makes a lot of sense. Well, for now it does!! Not so much when I started skiing!!

But I definitely have a 'weak' or preferred side due to the shoulder injury. But even before then I found I turned one way a lot better than the other (would have to go skiing to remember which way is stronger!!) - but as I've been a bit injury prone over the years (including two separate fractures of vertebrae 17 years apart!!) there is a very good chance that I'm one sided!! LOL Will get my friendly instructor to have a look/think about that!! LOL

Thank you. Looking forward even more to next season to get to try this!! LOL
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I was out in Courcheval in early March, conditions dictated something shorter, narrower, and ‘turnier’ than what I would normally hire (a pair of 175 Dobermans). On my first fast run, I felt the skis were quite twitchy running flat, but when I glanced down, saw my left ski was running perfectly straight, while the right kept wanting to turn. I realised that ski wasn’t quite flat on the snow - I moved my knee out a bit from what I thought was a neutral position (only about an inch), and problem resolved!

Presumably I’d never noticed I was a bit knock-kneed - and probably should get my boots shimmed - but could be you have the same problem, particularly given your back history.

Not sure about all this advice of having the weight back as a cause though? All those idiots straight lining it down the hill sitting on the backs of their skis at the end of the day seem to have no problems keeping their skis straight and level, and moving the weight back generally disengages the ski from the turn, as it reduces the self-steering effect. Conversely - putting your weight forward risks you hooking up if your ski edge does engage accidentally. Not suggesting weight back is a good idea for many other reasons, but isnt keeping nice and centred the way to go?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pejoli wrote:
When I was out in Courcheval in early March, conditions dictated something shorter, narrower, and ‘turnier’ than what I would normally hire (a pair of 175 Dobermans). On my first fast run, I felt the skis were quite twitchy running flat, but when I glanced down, saw my left ski was running perfectly straight, while the right kept wanting to turn. I realised that ski wasn’t quite flat on the snow - I moved my knee out a bit from what I thought was a neutral position (only about an inch), and problem resolved!

Presumably I’d never noticed I was a bit knock-kneed - and probably should get my boots shimmed - but could be you have the same problem, particularly given your back history.

Not sure about all this advice of having the weight back as a cause though? All those idiots straight lining it down the hill sitting on the backs of their skis at the end of the day seem to have no problems keeping their skis straight and level, and moving the weight back generally disengages the ski from the turn, as it reduces the self-steering effect. Conversely - putting your weight forward risks you hooking up if your ski edge does engage accidentally. Not suggesting weight back is a good idea for many other reasons, but isnt keeping nice and centred the way to go?

That's interesting. Although, I have had my boots fitted for me due to a problem foot! So I 'think' they are ok. My instructor has never mentioned knock-knees, but it's something I'll add to the list of questions for him in December!! LOL If this had only happened this year, I'd assume it was due to the metal in my leg/knee, but it's been since I first started skiing, so could be back, but like I say - the boots have been adjusted for fallen arches (in a big way on one side). But I'll ask!!

On the weight thing, I have always tried hard to keep my weight centred when skiing, not forward or back. But heading straight down on these two particular runs, I lean into the front of my boots more than actually lean over my boots. But, hey - this is just how I feel, so I might be imagining this!! LOL

I do need to get some advice on this next season from the instructor and or get a mate to film me sometimes so I can check!! LOL
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy