Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bootfitting near(ish) Cardiff (or in-resort)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've just done a week in Alagna on hired XT3 120s, and like them enough to feel relatively confident buying a pair. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for bootfitting, either pre- or post-purchase.

I'm based in Cardiff, and Bristol is an easy day trip, but I've heard mixed reports from Ellis Brigham. S4F in Bicester would be more of an effort, but still doable. I see the model I want is on sale at Backcountry UK, but Otley is a very long way. I could probably find an excuse to go to London relatively soon, at which point Profeet in Fulham is an (albeit not hugely convenient) option. Are there any other places anyone can recommend, ideally more local to me?

Alternatively, I take the plunge, ski them as-is for a while and potentially get them aligned and otherwise customized at a later date in-resort, e.g. at Ski Mastery in Val d'Isère.

Any advice most welcome, as ever.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As per most of the boot fitting threads, just go to Solutions 4 feet
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ski Bartlett? Will be slightly closer and just off the M4, and not the Fulham prices of Profeet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Coyoti in Bridgend (no experience but seems to have some good reviews).

Plusses and minuses for in resort or local to home.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jmr59, your problem with the likes of EB is that there's no guarantee that whoevere does the fitting has either qualifications or experience.

Colin at S4F has both, in spades. I have no idea what he stocks, but that's a pretty common boot (well, it is in Chamonix) and in any case, he'll only sell you something that will fit properly anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
As much as I'd recommend S4F (use them my self) Bicester is a long way from Cardiff and is not the only option.

I wouldn't risk EB unless you have an appointment with a specific fitter that others have recommended.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jmr59 wrote:
I've just done a week in Alagna on hired XT3 120s, and like them enough to feel relatively confident buying a pair.

Just on this, whilst that is useful information for the fitter I wouldn't be set on that particular boot for the reason that a) not everywhere will necessarily stock them or have them in your size and b) with all due respect you may not be the best judge. So definitely tell the fitter this but be open minded about what they try/recommend.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Buying in resort means you can go out on the slopes, do some real skiing and then find out pinch points issues and go straight back to the fitter.

The down side is that if you want something modifying after that week you won't be able to go back to that fitter until and if you return to that resort. Also it takes some time out of the day/evening of your trip. And you will still want to go to a recommended fitter.

On here, you will find opinions (sometimes quite strong as always) for both. Biggest factor is always that it's a known good shop/fitter. And that you just feed them all the info/feedback and work with them to get the right boot/fit.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Layne wrote:
with all due respect you may not be the best judge. So definitely tell the fitter this but be open minded about what they try/recommend.

Yeah, that's worth remembering (particularly because I'm noticing a bias on my part towards that boot, in addition to the attraction of the possibility of buying it at a massive discount from Backcountry UK and having it tomorrow). I think I'm going to make the trip to Bicester (perhaps as part of a weekend in Oxford or the Cotswolds): thanks for all the advice.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
For balance, I'm from south Wales and made the trip to S4F. It wasn't a great experience and had to get my boots sorted in resort this year. Many people swear by them but I wouldn't go out of my way to make the trip to Bicester again.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@tomb, in what way "wasn't a great experience"?

Clearly the downside of travelling a long way is that going back to get adjustments done (that I know S4F would have done) is more difficult.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy