Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you do in a snow dome?

Poster: A snowHead
It feels a bit pointless - so quick down for the time up.

However, we can go fairly cheaply and it’s quite close by.

What can we do to improve our skiing whilst we’re there?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I only go to snow domes at the end of a busy day to play in the cut up & bumpy stuff at the sides.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
  • Listen to music or internet radio.
  • Only go once a year.

Skiing wise... my own approach was to make sure every run (on plastic or indoors) was a drill - I wasn't there to "have fun", but to get better at skiing. Like surfing in a wave pool versus surfing in the ocean, the purpose is different and my attitude is different too.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
try the darkarts of snowboarding? May as well learn something different
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Oktobertest
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I usually do a group lesson; the Hemel skills development sessions are good with specific drills and tips. Same for the kids. Not much benefit for me going up and down and with discounts and kids’ membership it doesn’t cost much more for a group lesson.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Slalom training at either landgraaf in the Netherlands or peer in Belgium. Last October in peer we had the pleasure of training on the piste adjacent to the UK slalom team.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Worst punchlines ever.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Get all the technical groundwork done in a dome, then just zoom around outdoors. I went from plough turns to L2 and most of the work was done in a dome over a few summers
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Short radius linked turns. All fridge skiers should be ace at them. There's not much else to do. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Avoid. Find a dry slope and good coaching instead!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I recently read an article on parents moaning about why their children were doing drills rather than zipping through the gates at their race school.
The answer from the coaches was quite simply put. That sliding through gates doesn't make you a Good skier, but getting the basics done and getting your skill level up will help you become a better racer through the gates.
There are so many things you can do..or try to do at a snow dome that you can improve your over all skiing ability.
Short, long, medium, jump, and more turns , 7 or 20 of them mix it up. Can you really use your edges ? Switch skiing, snowboarding, telemarking, Park nights , race club ......they are all transferable skillsets that benefit ... Can you do them all ? Are you really any good at each of the drills ?..
It all depends on what you want out of your skiing.
Availability, capacity, ability, capability to apply it.

One thing snowdomes do have ...is better snow than a few resorts at the moment snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@limegreen1, I read the same article, by impulse?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've only ever been to one in Southern Holland for an hour as it was at the CentreParcs, and it was just for something to do one evening to delay the nightly descent into fizzy larger, kip curry and frickandelle by an hour.

This might be a controversial viewpoint, but I don't think that everybody benefits from taking lessons in domes.
One of our friends really improved their control on boxes and small hits by 'Park' lessons at CF, but another person took beginner snowboard lessons (lots) at CF, but when they came to real snow, they struggled with:
The length of the runs, the jerkiness and uneven nature of drag lift tracks, other people overtaking, bumps on the piste, hardpack, piste edges, soft snow, bright sunlight, low light... basically everything was so far our of their comfort zone to the point that it was debilitating, and they would stop every 30 metres, sit down, unclip, recompose themselves, re-clip and then do another 30 metres, rinse and repeat (this was on green and easy blue beginner pistes)..
IMHO had they not spent that time in a relatively homogenous, controlled environment, and just took lessons when they got to resort, I think they'd have done way better because what they experienced in resort would be their normal.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
they would stop every 30 metres, sit down, unclip, recompose themselves, re-clip and then do another 30 metres, rinse and repeat

Isn't that what all snowboarders do? Laughing Laughing
snow report
@swskier, only if theres space in the middle of the piste to do it, otherwise carry on a bit until a suitable piste-centre is available.
ski holidays
I only go when the avalance level is low, to test powder skis. wink
snow report
practice kick turns

http://youtube.com/v/qalV0fR6vK8
snow report
I take my patients there to ski after they recovered from surgery.

It's a good option for building a bit of confidence
snow conditions
Telemark with leather boots..
ski holidays
Drills and bumps
snow report
Perfect place to learn switch. As you don't feel you are missing out on a good run/day.
snow report
What do you do in a snow dome?

Pack it in after 30 minutes and never go back

What do you do on a dry slope?

Pack it in after 15 minutes and never go back

(from a snowboarders perspective)
snow conditions
Get a proper carve going on short turns then do some jump turns (a bit flat for that) and then wish I was on a mountain. One time they made a half-pipe which WAS fun. I was trying to get right near the top (where it simply stopped and dropped straight down to the other half of the piste. Or perhaps there was a net, I can't remember).
snow report
I feel I get quite a lot out of it.
Like @Skimum1, The group lessons for "skills development" are particularly good.
And as @CathyAuLait says, its not just about belting down the slope ... its about drills, and for 160metres you can focus specifically on getting it right.
On the mountain you dont get much chance to work on the drills, you tend to be racing in gangs to the next lift or surviving the mogul field, or steep bit.
Things to work on are:
Those handy "Kick Turns" @Bigtipper mentions.
Getting Braquage working smoothly, it really helps when you are on a too steep, too icy spot on the mountain.
Poma lift technique.
You can do a lot of drills going up the Poma lift as well, such as riding up on one ski or rolling your feet from edge to edge, even pole plant timing.
Work on your skating technique.
Its always a good exercise in the fridge to work on improving your turn style by sking just on the outside ski and keeping the heel of the inside ski raised.
Eventually work on "Javelin Turns" to bring it all together.
Get someone to take a video of you skiing, then you can see your faults better.
Such as feet too close together,
Too much in the back seat,
"the gate open" with your pole plant.
Steering from your shoulders.
You can watch other people ski who are really good and sneakily follow them down.
You can make mental notes of what other people are doing with bad technique and stance and try to avoid doing it yourself.
Apart from that its a waste of time.
ski holidays
I guess it has to do with rehab?
snow report
Just spent 2 hours in Chill Factore tonight, as i'm up in Manchester for a team meeting tomorrow.

Didn't even begin to get bored in that time. Lots of different drills and exercises:

Stork Turns
Braquage
Plough Parallel
Basic Parallel
Short turns
Long turns
White pass turns
One ski carving
Javelin turns

snowHead snowHead
snow report
Telemark turns -- will be at HH tomorrow am doing some more Very Happy

I think you need to have some kind of objective, it's not like skiing on the mountain for pleasure, but it is somewhere perfect for practice. But still lots of fun
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ski, i'll be at MK a week on Saturday, Mrs Swskier having an adjustment to her boots at S4F, then we'll go try them, and she'll be getting set drills very similar to what I did last night!

She has an aim of doing the Anwäter this winter, and she's only about 5 weeks in with skiing, so she's keen to improve massively.

Wonder if MK have any tele kit lying around I might be able to get my hands on to give it a try with? Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

nder if MK have any tele kit lying around I might be able to get my hands on to give it a try with? Cool

ski holidays Thu 29 Jun, 23

I think they do... can you let us know ?
ski holidays
I used to regularly go to the indoor slopes (mostly Tamworth) for ramp nights. Great way to improve even if you just want to do the smaller ones.
latest report
@ski, I've got a friend who skis there a lot. I'll send her a message and report back.
latest report
I have a disabled (ASD) son so we have joined castleford on their disability/family membership.. so, £140 for the year and, if timed right, I get a couple of hours a week in and George gets some snow time ready to go for a week to France next year and all it cost us is £10 in diesel. Sure, it's limited but it's skiing and better than Dendex! Manchester is definitely better than Castleford though!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy