Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any other Sniwheads stuck at Albertvelle?

Poster: A snowHead
After having to buy my train ticket from Paris to Bourg St Maurice I’m now Arouca in Albertville. These was a train accident if some kind and the announcement initially mentioned buses from Albertville. Now at Albertville and no buses have materialised. Some people are getting taxis but I’m by myself and even I’m a group it’s not I’m my price range. There is general French shrugging of shoulders by office half and murmurings if discontent from my fellow passengers.

Any other Snowheads here? Even if just to say hi.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Raven, can't help but 'hi' . I can't find Arouca in Albertville, is it the main station or on the outskirts. Where are you travelling to?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've looked on SNCF, looks like all trains to Bourg St Maurice are cancelled? Is it beyond your budget to get a hotel for the night and continue in the morning to your destination?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh dear. Arouca was from my fast, frustrated typing Very Happy I’m at Albertville train station.

I’ve heard murmurs of a 6pm bus and an 8pm bus. Or maybe no bus at all …
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quite a train accident, unfortunately.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raven wrote:
Oh dear. Arouca was from my fast, frustrated typing Very Happy I’m at Albertville train station.

I’ve heard murmurs of a 6pm bus and an 8pm bus. Or maybe no bus at all …

Probably cheaper than a taxi. Will wait for more news and decide.

Any idea if I might be able to get some compensation or a refund from SCNF?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@achilles, bloody hell. How does that even happen in a first world country!?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
achilles wrote:
Quite a train accident, unfortunately.

yes that does look bad. If my reading of the French article is correct then trains between Albertville and BSM will be interrupted until Friday?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Raven, what a bummer! Why are train companies so bad at communicating?!

It looks like there is a scheduled bus at 19.21, if SNCF don't sort a replacement out sooner. https://www.garesetconnexions.sncf/fr/gares-services/albertville/horaires (I'm assuming Car TER is a bus service, but maybe someone else can confirm that).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Re: compensation – seems to vary depending on which service you are using. Info here: https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/delays

Some services also have “Garantie Voyage”: https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/garantie-voyage but it all seems to vary whether you were on TGV, TER etc.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just missed out on getting on bus number 1 and now I’m waiting for bus number 2.

Lucky I don’t need to get further up the mountain or find a hotel in Bourg at short notice.

It’s sort of part of the adventure. I’m away from Australia for four weeks so something like this was bound to happen at some stage.

Funny thing is I was feeling pretty smug this morning about dodging the French strikes Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet wrote:
Re: compensation – seems to vary depending on which service you are using. Info here: https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/delays

Some services also have “Garantie Voyage”: https://www.sncf.com/en/customer-service/garantie-voyage but it all seems to vary whether you were on TGV, TER etc.

I’m not too fussed about compensation but might send off an email anyway. Every cent counts when you’re having to exchange Australian dollars Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Timmycb5, from the article (and a bit of google streetview) it looks like the crash happened at an unmanned level crossing just after a railway tunnel. Maybe a malfunction on the level crossing?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarlet wrote:

I’m not too fussed about compensation but might send off an email anyway. Every cent counts when you’re having to exchange Australian dollars Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Raven, what bad luck. Unfortunately, @Alastair Pink, is correct, trains to Bourg St Maurice interrupted until Friday.

Hope they can put you on a bus. If not, if any research (eg searching best value hotel?) needed give us a shout.
latest report
@Raven, hope you get on the next bus to BSM, but if it does go T!!S up getting a bus.
there is availability at the Hôtel Le Savoie (@£53 for the night) on booking.com, it is a few mins walk from the station.
snow conditions
PeakyB wrote:
@Raven, what bad luck. Unfortunately, @Alastair Pink, is correct, trains to Bourg St Maurice interrupted until Friday.

Hope they can put you on a bus. If not, if any research (eg searching best value hotel?) needed give us a shout.

Thanks Peaky Very Happy It’s actually a beautiful evening and sunset here in Albertville. Just a shame I don’t dare move from my spot in case I miss another bus.

Luckily my next journey is a bus trip from Bourg to Geneva Airport (then train to Zermatt) so no need to worry about the return trip.
snow conditions
I’m finally in the bus. Got my elbows out as there was no way I was going to miss this one!

Thanks to the couple of lovely French people I met while waiting who kindly translated the goings on into English for me.
latest report
Phew! Have a pleasant and uneventful onward journey Smile
snow conditions
Raven wrote:
I’m finally in the bus. Got my elbows out as there was no way I was going to miss this one!

Suitably sharpened no doubt! Laughing
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Raven wrote:

Suitably sharpened no doubt! Laughing

Just getting warmed up for Dolomites and the Birthday Bash. Italians aren’t huge on lift etiquette and queuing from memory Eh oh!
snow conditions
Now relaxing with a beer at the Indian restaurant in Bourg. Fair bit of snow on the ground here so skiing should be good tomorrow.
snow conditions
Timmycb5 wrote:
@achilles, bloody hell. How does that even happen in a first world country!?

Don't think of just the French as having level crossings - there are about 80 in Lincolnshire. Nationally, There were 8 fatalities on level crossings.

Quote:

There were eight fatalities at level crossings which involved seven pedestrians and one motorcyclist
ski holidays
@Raven, An exciting trip - enjoy your well earned curry.
ski holidays
Quote:
Now relaxing with a beer at the Indian restaurant in Bourg.
Enjoy @Raven. Mrs MA were there a couple of weeks ago. Good food and decent portions for hungry skiers. Only criticism was that the tables are a bit squeezed in and too close together as a result. It felt like we were on a table for 6 with the couples either side of us... rolling eyes
snow conditions
My adventure continues today. First, I managed to lose my credit card somewhere between the bakery and the funicular. Whoops. Luckily I can use my bank app to block it and have a spare card on me.

Then while hiring skis the man working at the shop said ‘you know the funicular is broken’. I laughed because I thought he was joking. He wasn’t. Now on a bus in Bourg to go to Les Arcs but it’s just sitting here, no idea when it’s leaving. Oh well it’s my first ski day in six months so didn’t want to overdo it anyway Very Happy
snow report
This gets better and better... I'm already struggling to get from Chambery to Montchavin this weekend, but I thought "at least the train will be running". Jesus wept...

Are the trains *meant* to be running again on Saturday?
snow report
Update: my chalet owner (manager) says "there was a massive crash yesterday – but on the radio here, they’ve said it will all be operational by Friday latest. So I think it will be OK."
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As per other thread - no issues getting to Bourg as of Friday PM. snowHead
snow report
@CoticJon, pleased to hear that, thanks. Currently on the Eurostar to Bourg.
ski holidays
@Raven, ah, the famous Gallic shrug, all part of cultural experience of France! To have both the cancelled train and the broken funicular is very bad luck
snow conditions
Is it that time already? wrote:
@CoticJon, pleased to hear that, thanks. Currently on the Eurostar to Bourg.

Let us know if you arrive. We are on the return journey in the morning Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy