Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lights above ski workbench?

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

I have a new garage being created, which will house a workbench that will be used for ski wax/servicing amoungst other things.

I need to specify what I need from the electrician, so can anyone recommend any lights?

I'm guessing the proposed 2 fluorescent strips in the roof won't give sufficient light, and I was also thinking a spotlight would be to focused in one area, and not enough light for the length of the ski!

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd say a double flourescent with a diffuser over the bench would be fine
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe add a spotlight on a trailing lead with a clamp if you need to get some extra light at a specific point I suppose
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've a single 5' floury above my bench but it's positioned about a foot off the end wall to minimise any shadow that I cast over the bench. I've then got two angle poise lights, one at each end of the bench c/w wide angle lamps. These are set below my eye line to illuminate the skis evenly without dazzling me when working. I've found this set-up works very well.

Here's a few other things that you might find helpful:

It's important to get the bench height right. The engineering rule of thumb for heavy work (& scraping is heavy work) is for the workpiece (ie the ski) to be about 4" below your elbow height when standing upright. Don't forget to allow for the height of your vice when calculating your bench height. Your back will thank you for getting this right.

A fan heater is useful as a garage can get chilly in the winter - mine also blows cold for summer Xscape tuning use. A rubber mat or similar on the concrete floor in the winter will also stop your feet from freezing.

It's best to put your ski rack on the wall above the bench to make it easier/faster/safer to swap them around etc.

Position the plug socket for your iron in a place were the flex won't get snagged. A laminate worktop makes it easier to remove blobs of wax & metal shavings.

If you plan on doing a lot of tuning it's worth fitting an extract fan as breathing wax fumes & dust can't be that good for you - & you won't want the garage door open for ventilation in the winter.

Putting your tools on a wall mounted peg board looks impressive but if you're garage is actually going to house a car it can get pretty dusty so it's probably better to put them in a cupboard underneath. Sliding doors are best so the open doors don't trip you up.

Don't forget the music & the beer.

BTW, new concrete floors take an age to dry out so be careful putting anything in the garage in the early days that could be damaged or get rusty due to all the moisture. It's worth hiring a dehumidifier for a couple of weeks to really speed up the drying process.

latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd certainly avoid disco lighting and glitterballs.

The length of your flourescent tubes, or the light beam they cast, should anticipate any increases in ski lengths ... or carpentry involving 2.4m lengths of timber (which, intriguingly matches the competition length of speed skis!)

Have you got room in your garage for a Montana robotic Snow Cruiser ski servicing centre, with automatic loading system? [scroll down page]
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers guys,

Jon, I can't make out where you flurorescent is in your pic, can you point out where it is?

Also that pic made me thing I don't need the bench as wide as I was thinking, assuming a ski max of 100cm wide, I reckon a bench 200cm wide would be fine, would you agree?

BTW when you say "It's best to put your ski rack on the wall above the bench", what is a ski rack???

Cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gregh, sorry but the floury tube is out of the pic. It's ceiling mounted directly above & parellel to the bench/end wall & about a foot off the end wall.

My bench is 60cm/2ft deep which is allows me to put the tools in use at the back away from any wax scrapings etc. The bench only needs to be wide (ie left to right) enough to support the two end vices in the correct position although the benefit of having worktop under the full length of the ski means that most of the wax scrapings will fall on the bench rather than the floor, making them easier to clean up. The most important thing is that the bench is stable as scraping requires significant pressure so it's best to have it fixed to the wall.

I've a horizontal ski rack above my bench which holds four skis - it's right of centre in my pic but the ski on it is a bit hard to see due to the masking tape on the ski sides. It's simply made from that wall fixed slotted aluminium shelving bracket stuff from B&Q. The skis sit horizontally on the shelf brackets with their bindings facing down. From here they can be easily lifted to/from the bench. It's an ideal place to leave the freshly waxed skis to cool before scraping - skis propped up against the wall have a tendancy of falling over! I've glued a strip of rubber on the top of the shelf brackets so the top sheets of the skis don't get scratched.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gregh, Double Fluorescent in a shatterproof diffuser, the type used in workshops/kitchens (they're splash-proof and vapour sealed as well. No matter how careful you are you are handling large objects with metal edges and accidents do happen. the wattage/size of the fitting is down to the height it's fitted above the work-surface.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cheers all,

So Jon, from your pics it looks like you have your double socket in the middle of the bench, attached to the back wall? I guess then as you wax up/down the ski it doesn't snag, and the "cord" only has to be as long as half a ski!

going to go for a bench 190cm x 46cm I think, height to be worked out!!

cheers,

greg
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
gregh wrote:
.....So Jon, from your pics it looks like you have your double socket in the middle of the bench, attached to the back wall? I guess then as you wax up/down the ski it doesn't snag, and the "cord" only has to be as long as half a ski! Going to go for a bench 190cm x 46cm I think, height to be worked out!!...

Spot on Greg. Bench dims sound good too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gregh, I'd go for an anglepoise as well. Really useful to avoid blocking your own light.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Many garages/workshops go for wall mounted fluorescents so that less shadow is cast by the "technician" often at about head height.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Many garages/workshops go for wall mounted fluorescents so that less shadow is cast by the "technician" often at about head height.

The problem is that when scraping the skis you really do have to lean over them so anything wall mounted has to be set really low which tends to dazzle. This is were the angle poise lamps work well as you can push them back out of the way for scraping without loss of illumination but can pull them closer for side edge work you're standing more upright.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I put a 150watt holagen security light over my bench.

Great light but I get a burnhead and eye strain after a bit. maybe should get a 100watt blub. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
'Lights above ski workbench' I love this thread Very Happy Its so blokey, so detail orientated, so specific. Not at all a girlie thread !

And it could run further yet.

I particularly enjoyed Spyderjons informative ski-work-bench-light-power-height essay.

Consequently I'm now designing my own over-workbench ski storage rack and have been preoccupied with the lateral stability of my intended support system. Superb stuff.
snow conditions
Peter S, Laughing Laughing
snow report
If glare is a problem then can I suggest white walls and reflected light for a more diffuse light source?
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
..........I particularly enjoyed Spyderjons informative ski-work-bench-light-power-height essay......

Why say one word when ten will do? wink
snow conditions
Is the backsplash fastened to the wall? I'd probably arrange an iron rest, with the laminate bench and all.

Love the dust/fume collection.
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:
'Lights above ski workbench' I love this thread Very Happy Its so blokey, so detail orientated, so specific.

In the words of Hank Hill
"Make sure your shop has good lighting and that all your outlets are grounded" Laughing

- translation from 'American'
"Make sure your workshop has good lighting and that all your electrical sockets are earthed" Cool
latest report
well many months later my extension is finished and I persuaded the electrician to fit me lights and double sockets and (along with some folding stuff) the joiner to knock me up a ski bench Very Happy

latest report
I gained 2 Florescent tubes so I have removed the 150watt holagen security light over my bench and put them in. Got nice all round even light now and no burnt head any more Smile
ski holidays
kitenski, the best thing you can do to max out the light is to paint the wall bright white, it will also help keep the dust levels down as well. Personally I'd board it over first with half inch ply as knocking up a few hooks into ply is a lot easier than fixing into concrete blocks.
latest report
kitenski, All the guy's I work with use 2 smallish halogens, one at each end of the bench.
ski holidays
kitenski, ....very flash drawer section..dazzle..dazzle..! Now you need an impressive rack for those skis.

If you are selling that towel radiator on e-bay I can make it a matching pair for any would be purchaser..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
My bench is at a window, and I have two additional lights - one low at one end, the other high over the middle. I would frequently leave the door open, which gets natural light in from the other end.
snow report
cheers BernardC, I am actually putting a load of stuff on ebay and forgot about that radiator, on it goes Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy