Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is skiing getting too expensive?

Poster: A snowHead
oink wrote:
For relative newcomers its definitely never going to be a cheap holiday (IMO)

Can't comment on the exact costs yet but for a family of five (kids 8-14 yo) we have booked for February and doing DIY.

So far i reckon about €3500 for a week (Feb 18-25) in the Mondole Ski area south of Turin.

Selected this area for a number of reasons - relative beginners so big area not needed, lower cost lift passes, 2 bed apt available quite cheap vs 1 bed in a lot of other areas. Small town/village in case wife doesn't want to ski a lot, close to Turin airport which had reasonable flight prices from dublin.

Flights €700 dublin to turin return including 2 suitcases with ryanair. It will be €90 extra if i bring my own board.
Accommodation - 2 bed apartment in Frabosa Soprano - €650 for the week.
Car rental - €75 for a medium sized car (jeep renegade or similar) booked through ryanair. Note - i had a previous booking for fiat tipo estate at €300 which i was happy with but checked back a few weeks later and got the above deal. Cancelled first booking and money back in CC a week later.
Ski school looks like it will be €120 each for the kids so €360. (that's 5 days of 2 hours per day). I might get a private lesson or two but don't have to get sliding. Wife may not ski at all, or may do a few lessons, so can't be sure on that. I guess a week of school for her will be an additional €120.
Ski rental looks to be around 75-100 * 4 so I'll say €400.
Ski passes will be between €750 and €1000 for the five of us depending on whether we get 5 or 6 day passes. Again, wife may decide not to ski much and only get day passes as needed.
Self catering so food will be cheap enough.

I can't see how we could do it much cheaper to be honest. Driving is not really an option from Ireland and even if it was the costs would far outweigh the flight costs. I guess to improve overall VFM you could go for two weeks and reduce the cost per day that way? We could knock a few quid off with a one bed or studio apartment too, but figure we are already at bargain basement level for the accommodation anyway. Hopefully in a few years the kids will be able to skip ski school and maybe cut some spend out that way? But that will be offset by higher flight and lift passes as they get older.

Overall, I'm more than happy with the costs as I love the mountains and am delighted to get the kids started out.

We may not have the cash to go every year but will go when we can.

Two suitcases, 5 people? I need you to speak to my Mrs as she can fill one suitcase with shoes Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's still cheap compared to going to a top football game or concert and although I love those my best days have been skiing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@davidof, we were quite surprised at the cost of fuel in France this time round. We were paying less than £1.50 for a litre of petrol in UK 2 weeks ago, but it is 1.85€ at the station at the end of the road here in France. Not used to it being more expensive in France.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
@davidof, lives in France right so this is not a UK thing Puzzled
Well, first, woulnd' it be useful if he added where he lives to his signature? It does help set a context to people's posts. And second, wouldn't the title have been suffixed ".. for French residents?" if the discussion was meant to exclude those in the UK?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oink wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
@oink, Good write up but the stand out in all of that is 75 Euro for a Jeep for a week?, are you sure that is not per day rate, that is a complete bargin.............

Yep, I know. It's definitely for the week and is booked and paid for with confirmation email received. For some reason most cars that week were very cheap when I happened to look at it again. Here's hoping it works out OK! I'll even put up with driving a 'Jeep' at that price - I can live with shame Laughing According to the front page on the ryanair site it also includes snow chains.

Cars are generally cheap in winter at N Italian airports, there's a surplus of cars from the summer fleets.

The really cheap prices are with smaller companies and usually come with a catch. I trust Ryanair as far as I can throw them. Have you read the small print? Have you paid a deposit and there's more to pay on arrival?

You will definitely need some independent excess insurance on most rentals, as the excess can often be north of €2000 and they want to do a big credit card block as a deposit. The desk staff will be giving you the hard sell on their insurance as they can't make any money renting them at the price you've paid.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
luigi wrote:
Have you paid a deposit and there's more to pay on arrival?

Isn't that how a deposit normally works?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MorningGory wrote:
luigi wrote:

Of course, but @oink may think that he's paid in full and not on the hook for something else! rolling eyes

I definitely wouldn't put it past Ryanair! They're top class shysters masquerading as an airline. I'm sure I looked at a deal with them that looked very cheap and that was the catch Mad
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
russ_e wrote:

Two suitcases, 5 people? I need you to speak to my Mrs as she can fill one suitcase with shoes Madeye-Smiley

We went to Finland for two weeks last year and had a 20kg case included per person. We took 3 cases and a snowboard bag, and didn't use half of the stuff! So packing strictly we should get away with that. and a few merino garments and you'll easily get a week out of them Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi wrote:
MorningGory wrote:
luigi wrote:

Of course, but @oink may think that he's paid in full and not on the hook for something else! rolling eyes

I definitely wouldn't put it past Ryanair! They're top class shysters masquerading as an airline. I'm sure I looked at a deal with them that looked very cheap and that was the catch Mad

Yeah, I've checked and double checked alright. All booked and confirmed. Got paranoid just now, so went back and reviewed the docs again. Definitely all paid, not a deposit. I even checked the dates again! and the total price was €70.19. wink

I have a yearly excess policy so covered from that point of view. Looks to good to be true, but all seems to be in order. Company is Italy Car Rent, not the best reviews ever, but no worse than any others from what I can see. A very nice saving over the previous car I had booked.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Car rental - €75 for a medium sized car (jeep renegade or similar) booked through ryanair."

Did you tick the extras eg to ensure the wheels come with tyres on, that the wipers have blades fitted, that the radiator has some antifreeze in it?

It IS ryanair...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oink wrote:
luigi wrote:
MorningGory wrote:
luigi wrote:

Yeah, I've checked and double checked alright. All booked and confirmed. Got paranoid just now, so went back and reviewed the docs again. Definitely all paid, not a deposit. I even checked the dates again! and the total price was €70.19. wink

I have a yearly excess policy so covered from that point of view. Looks to good to be true, but all seems to be in order. Company is Italy Car Rent, not the best reviews ever, but no worse than any others from what I can see. A very nice saving over the previous car I had booked.

OK, not rented with them, but the smaller companies with too-good-to-be-true pricing will definitely give you the hard-sell on the insurance.

They won't like that you have an excess policy, they will try and denigrate it. They will emphasise that you have to pay the €2000+ excess upfront if there's any damage and then claim it back on your policy, but if you take their €25.99 per day insurance all is taken care of.

If you manage to resist this, be very careful in examining the car on pick-up, get all damage recorded on the sheet, take photos, videos, etc as you don't want them to attribute any previous damge to you.

They may require a whacking credit card deposit payment if you don't accept their insurance.

You do hear stories of companies voiding the contract and refusing the car if you don't take their insurance, claiming a no-show because you didn't have a certain document they needed, like a Utility bill.

The other ruse was with fuel policy, you have to buy a full tank (at inflated rates) and bring it back empty (which is impossible).

There is no way they can make any money renting a car to you for €10 a day, esp after they paid Ryanair their pound of flesh for directing you to them!! Shocked

I hope none of this comes to pass, so please let us know how you get on!! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well we've rocked up in La Clusaz and the OH booked a hotel right in the centre, and I've just driven around trying to find somewhere to park and there's nowhere unless I want to walk a couple of km.

So paying at a machine from 17:00 to 21:00 and then from 07:00 to 09:00 €12.00 !!!

And no doubt I'll have to pay similar up at the lift station!!

And I suspect that's probably the norm in a lot of fancy stations like this one Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Isn't everything just more expensive?

Lost revenue from covid, excess demand since covid turbo'd two seasons of holidays, high energy prices, food inflation, wage inflation, general inflation - all makes for much more expensive holidays.

Plus of course brexit and the loss of the catered chalet deals which were such good value for last min availability in the off low weeks.

I reckon I'm paying at least 50% more for my rescheduled Gulmarg trip than I had costed it up as. More on the base price, worse FX rate on the USD its priced in, my flight prices are 2x the price as my cancelled flights etc etc etc
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Its relative, we've got two trips this winter, La Thuile this weekend and Cervinia at the end of Feb. Each holiday was over 1kpp plus passes but we're going without kids so want something a bit nicer.

We've just had a quick look at a 2024 group holiday in Sauze or Andorra to make it cheaper for the whole group as two families are traveling with kids. £750 and £600pp respectivly.

All of the above are HB basis and I don't think any are particularly poor value.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I usually have a 'about' budget.
This year is costing about the same as last year. I just need to add on food & drink!

I am lucky that I can pick & choose my dates. I think there is a lot less flights for peak demand. That can prob push demand up quite quickly.
latest report
@oink, that price is reasonably normal for Italy, so don't worry, it's not a scam or just a deposit.

However as others have mentioned there may be a (very) hard upsell on optional extras at the airport. There may even (as happened to us) be some "compulsory" surcharges that you have to refuse very politely but firmly, multiple times. Helps to have *all* the available T&Cs printed out just in case. Even better if there is a line saying "compulsory extras: none".
ski holidays
denfinella wrote:
@oink, that price is reasonably normal for Italy, so don't worry, it's not a scam or just a deposit.

However as others have mentioned there may be a (very) hard upsell on optional extras at the airport. There may even (as happened to us) be some "compulsory" surcharges that you have to refuse very politely but firmly, multiple times. Helps to have *all* the available T&Cs printed out just in case. Even better if there is a line saying "compulsory extras: none".

The oily Italian car hire rep stands no chance against the resolute frugality of the Scotswoman armed with her printed copy of the T&Cs! Shocked

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during that exchange, having distant Italian and Scottish heritage myself! Laughing
snow conditions
I'm normally on Ski Talk where we always talk about the US window rates and how much cheaper things are in Europe...

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/lift-ticket-insanity.29604/
ski holidays
sibhusky wrote:
I'm normally on Ski Talk where we always talk about the US window rates and how much cheaper things are in Europe...

https://www.skitalk.com/threads/lift-ticket-insanity.29604/

Firstly nobody with any sense pays the true window rates.

Secondly, it's actually a little complicated comparing costs directly between n america and Europe, because their models are so different. If you just want to ski a couple of days per season EU is cheaper. If you ski 2 weeks per year it's pretty similar. Once you get above two weeks n America is cheaper. (Of course that's assuming you buy your pass early).

Id argue nothing in Europe comes close to the potential value of an epic or ikon pass, of course you need enough days to really get maximum value. An early bird epic gives you unlimited access to a bunch of world class resorts, plus free days at many others for less than a euro season pass.

There are some other great deals, for example last year lake Louise spring pass was £270 for 2 months skiing.
snow report
boarder2020 wrote:

I don't know much about skiing in the US though I've read comments like this a few times. But this time it got me thinking. If there number of people buying at window rates is extremely low then you wonder why they have. If the numbers buying are significant that either means there are large numbers of skiers with no sense or actually they have good reason to pay window rates. Either way if numbers are significant it's a valid comparison.

boarder2020 wrote:
Secondly, it's actually a little complicated comparing costs directly between n america and Europe, because their models are so different. If you just want to ski a couple of days per season EU is cheaper. If you ski 2 weeks per year it's pretty similar. Once you get above two weeks n America is cheaper. (Of course that's assuming you buy your pass early).

What percentage of snowsports participants go more than 2 weeks a year. I would imagine not that high and in terms of UK definitely not the high.

Not necessarily your argument is totally invalid (difficult to compare US v Europe) but maybe flaws in the logic above.

Also, the OP was coming from an angle of "two of us set out for a day's skiing. 200km round trip", paying petrol, road tolls and a lift pass at the window.
ski holidays
boarder2020 wrote:

There are some other great deals, for example last year lake Louise spring pass was £270 for 2 months skiing.

Where how what?! Some sort of Black Friday deal?

I have never understood how to get Canadian season passes as a European, I got the impression the cheap ones are for residents only.
latest report
Layne wrote:

What percentage of snowsports participants go more than 2 weeks a year. I would imagine not that high and in terms of UK definitely not the high.

Very fair point, particularly for the USA. What percentage of USAnians get enough vacation time to take 2 weeks skiing? And if they're going to break it up into a day here and there, a la @davidof, then travel cost becomes material.

I think the logic is that by having such a egregious headline rate, any other kind of season pass looks like a good deal.
snow report
Layne wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

I don't know much about skiing in the US though I've read comments like this a few times. But this time it got me thinking. If there number of people buying at window rates is extremely low then you wonder why they have. If the numbers buying are significant that either means there are large numbers of skiers with no sense or actually they have good reason to pay window rates. Either way if numbers are significant it's a valid comparison.

boarder2020 wrote:

Not necessarily your argument is totally invalid (difficult to compare US v Europe) but maybe flaws in the logic above.

Also, the OP was coming from an angle of "two of us set out for a day's skiing. 200km round trip", paying petrol, road tolls and a lift pass at the window.

Well, happily Vail Resorts are a public company in the US. You can see their financial statements and annual report for FY22 here. According to their figures 61% of their Lift Pass revenue ($1.3bn in total) came from "pass products" (including the all singing, all dancing EPIC pass) with the balance from walk-ups on the day with a total of 16 million skier visits in 2021/22. They do not appear to break skier numbers down in the same category, but they do note that 58% of their North American resort visitors are so called "destination guests" from out of state, who typically buy pass products, with the balance being in-state/local guests (a significant proportion who would also buy passes, but obviously not all). Unfortunately the Compagnie des Alpes' financial disclosures are less detailed in this respect you can find them here and their 2022 universal registration document is here. In 2019/20 (most recent mostly-non-COVID numbers I can find), CdA had c. 11m skier days on EUR 360m in "ski area revenue", which is almost entirely lift pass sales. So obviously Vail are extracting more cash from skiers from lift pass sales. One could argue that this is worth it: North American resort operators undertake whole-resort avy control instead of just safing the pistes, but on the other hand, even in the great North American resorts, the lift infrastructure is pretty poor (in operations, infrastructure (eg capacity/speed) and coverage) by comparison to the big resorts in Europe.

That said, for certain very keen European skiers, the EPIC pass is very good value. Mine will cover 12 days in Whistler, 6 days in the 3Vs (no conditions), and 5 days in the 4Vs (subject to booking in approved hotels) and various other access schemes in Skirama Dolomiti in Italy and Ski Arlberg in Austria.
snow report
@Dyrlac, maybe I need to read your informative post more clearly but for my simple mind does that mean window rates are an irrelevance or not?
ski holidays
BTW I was only half joking about stantons infamous thread he started in 2016 a lot of which covered the same ground.

And a quick search reveals the question was being asked back in 2009 Laughing
latest report
Layne wrote:
@Dyrlac, maybe I need to read your informative post more clearly but for my simple mind does that mean window rates are an irrelevance or not?

I don't think they are irrelevant (and in any event, certainly not to those that pay them!). Let's say half of the "local guests" are walkups, that's still c. 3m punters just at Vail Resorts (and Vail Resorts accounts for c. 20% of North American skier days). That number could be smaller, but even those who plan a single multi-day trip early enough are still paying a pretty penny: a 6 day (in season) advance purchase ticket at Whistler is US$726 when purchased in advance (against an on-the-day window rate of $914). By contrast, A 6 day 3Vs ticket bought on the first day of skiing at the window is EUR360.

If you're willing to commit to the Vail Resorts mountains early enough (which is what Vail really, really wants you to do), you could have gotten a full EPIC pass good for the whole season at every North American resort plus the European partner resorts (plus various other goodies) for US$859. If I lived in North America, I'd be in line for the EPIC passes on the first day of availability no question--it's even good for the local ski hill near my inlaws in upstate New York. (I may even do it for 23/24 even without a NA trip planned).

But as @border2020 says, that only really works for folk who get at least 10 days on the slopes/year (I've been averaging about 15 over the past few years); for the one-weekend-a-year North American skiers at the mountains run by the national operators ... yikes, but to each their own.

Nb, I haven't done the equivalent comparison for IKON, but imagine it similar. Nor obviously have I investigated the "local" resorts which are probably more in keeping with the OP's original point.
latest report
Orange200 wrote:
boarder2020 wrote:

Where how what?! Some sort of Black Friday deal?

I have never understood how to get Canadian season passes as a European, I got the impression the cheap ones are for residents only.

Lake Louise and sunshine village do spring passes every season. They can just be bought online, no special codes or requirements. Get you unlimited skiing from early march to end of the season.

Generally for the best deals the earlier you buy the cheaper it is. Some passes stop being sold once the season starts.
snow conditions
Dyrlac wrote:
But as @border2020 says, that only really works for folk who get at least 10 days on the slopes/year (I've been averaging about 15 over the past few years); for the one-weekend-a-year North American skiers at the mountains run by the national operators ... yikes, but to each their own.

@border2020 obviously doesn’t work for Vail Corp. wink Or he would have mentioned the exhaustive list of pass options, one of which is the Epic Day Pass. You can pre-purchase multi-day tickets at a much lower rate (more day -> less/per day). The “pass” is good for all of Vail’s property on any day of the season.

The difference between the “day” pass and the season pass is the number of days are exact for the “day” pass, whilst season pass CAN BE unlimited in the Vail owned properties.

So for the one-weekend-a-year skiers, they would typically buy those “day pass” in spring or fall. Then decide when and where to go later.

But by all means feel pity for those who don’t know about that option. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If there number of people buying at window rates is extremely low then you wonder why they have

Because some people will always pay the window rate. Perhaps money is not an issue or they are not organised/knowledgeable to plan ahead.

Secondly it makes season passes and any other offers look even better value for money. I'd compare this to dominoes, where I doubt many are paying £20+ for a pizza, but then suddenly 2 for Tuesdays looks like great value.

In terms of how many pay full price I don't actually know. There are a lot of options for cutting the price though. For example in whistler you can save about 15% just buying your ticket in advance online rather than on the morning. Many passes come with "buddy/ski with a friend" tickets that provide nice discounts. There used to be cards available for some of the Canadian rocky resorts where you got 3rd and 7th day free from what I remember.

Yes, it does take a bit of planning, but not so different to how most Brits shop for budget flights.

Quote:

A bit chicken and egg though. I suspect many people would like to do more than 1 week but cost prohibits. I suspect there are at least a few Brits that have bought an epic pass for a n American trip and then decided to tag on an extra euro trip because the lift pass is already covered, making it a more affordable option.

You have to pick your poison. Europe offers cheaper day passes, making it more affordable for less regular skiers but more expensive for regulars. N America offers more expensive day passes, but cheaper season passes. Personally I'd rather see the irregulars subsidise season passes, I just think of it as a loyalty bonus and a way to make skiing more affordable to those that really want to chase a lot of days.

You also have to remember you are paying for completely different experiences. I would happily pay a premium for the in bounds controlled off-piste in n American resorts. For a piste skier paying extra for that wouldn't offer any value.
latest report
This is the general increase in French toll roads as opposed to inflation

and inflation is way above the pay increases I've had
snow report
snowdave wrote:
What percentage of USAnians get enough vacation time to take 2 weeks skiing?

This whole concept of “week(s)” of skiing is entirely British!

I’ve not heard from people in other country use that term “how many WEEKS of skiing have you done?”. It’s usually how many “days”, or how many “times”, not weeks.

Quote:

And if they're going to break it up into a day here and there, a la @davidof, then travel cost becomes material.

This is precisely what this threads started out to be about, for residents of snowy country where they can regularly do day trip here and there. Mind you, nothing to do with “break up” the infamous UK centric “week”!

Quote:

I think the logic is that by having such a egregious headline rate, any other kind of season pass looks like a good deal.

I agree. And I believe that was actually the intent.
snow report
Some information on the rise in Valloire lift pass prices: http://www.cybervalloire.com/2020/10/30/forfait-premier-flocon-valloire_evolution/
This concerns just the early bird season rate

For Val d'Isere / Tignes - the figure in brackets allows for inflation. You'd still be better taking a hot tube time machine back to the 1990s though. We're probably paying for snow making.

1989/1990 :
1d: 23.32 € (44€)
6d: 111.29 € (209€)

2006/2007:
1d: 41 € (55€)
6d: 197,50 € (265€)

2022/23
1d: 63 €
6d: 378 € <- 6d and 7d passes cost the same
snow conditions
Tignes ..my European favourite is now possibly too expensive. Lift pass increase plus package deal cost increase plus the fact it seems to get busier every year..3 vallees pass for 6 days is now cheaper than EK...go figure.
But we managed to find a SC deal in VT this week fo just over a grand, that's two of us in a 4 berth. So not really, I guess you have to look.
latest report
@davidof, I could be interpreting this wrongly (!) but...

https://www.in2013dollars.com/uk/inflation/1990 "if you started with £100, you would need to end with £290.80 in order to "adjust" for inflation" so roughly 3 times.

So those prices in Espace Killy don't seem too far out Puzzled
ski holidays
I track costs year to year, what I spend and holiday quotes even if we don’t pick that option. Have done for 12 years.

Flights: Roughly same cost thanks to budget airlines

Transfers: Shared weekend transfers are about the same. Private weekday transfers are up significantly.

Holidays: Hugely up. 42% from last year.

Passes/Equipment: Marginally up.

Biggest increase was Club Med. 2 years ago it was £4950 for a week. Now it’s £7,300 for the same week.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:

For Val d'Isere / Tignes - the figure in brackets allows for inflation. You'd still be better taking a hot tube time machine back to the 1990s though. We are probably paying for snowmaking.

1989/1990 :
1d: 23.32 € (44€)
6d: 111.29 € (209€)

2006/2007:
1d: 41 € (55€)
6d: 197,50 € (265€)

2022/23
1d: 63 €
6d: 378 € <- 6d and 7d passes cost the same

For sure. The main change/push-up over inflation is due to climate change. If we are going to get any serious about it, flights will need to get up significantly. Then lift passes, as we are already about to see. And perhaps a contraction in supply - but that can play out in different ways. With the likes of EK, 3V, etc. there may also a global inequality premium be involved. That's pretty much a one way route. Unless the gulf stream decides to stop. In which case all bets are off.

On the other hand, gear cost has come down a huge chunk, to the point where it's next to negligible, if you don't desire fancy.
snow report
if you are tied down to school holidays and go the T/O route costs will probably be higher this season, but i still think there are good deals to be had if you go DIY, especially if you are happy to book far ahead in advance and with flexible cancellation policies, and in some instances they can be cheaper than a few seasons ago.

it really depends on whether you have the time, or inclination, to do some research on the T'internet, i really enjoy doing it and planning all the different options.

in 2018 we paid around £1200 for a 2bed apartment in les menuires at feb half term, for me and my (now ex) wife and our 2 daughters

initially for this Easter i had a 2 bed apartment in VT for 850 euros for me and my girls, but now we have a 4 bed (ski in-ski out) self catering apartment in VT at Easter, for me and my girls and a friend and his 2 boys for 1500 euros (750 each dad).
they are flying and not sure what his costs are, but we are driving out (via overnight ferry) with an overnight in Albertville on way out and one near Auxerre on the way back.

i recently knocked off a total of over £80 on the overnights, originally they were £110 and £100 for a couple of hotel rooms each stop, now i have found an apartment at each stop for £70 and £60. though to be honest, that makes up for paying for parking in VT as i am used to free parking in les menuires, but every little bit helps.

admittedly lift passes have increased by nearly 20% over this period, the 3v adult pass was 306 euros in 2017-8, now 360 euros, cannot seem to find how much they were in 2019-20 when we last went there as a family, but they were going to be 321 euros for the abandoned 2020-21 season.

we don't need ski school for the girls this time around so there is a saving there, and we have our own kit but these would just be offset against any hire costs.

obviously transport, fuel and food will be more expensive this year, but that would be the same on a summer holiday as well as skiing trip DIY or T/O route.
ski holidays
I think that US skiing has become too expensive for most Brits.

Years ago, we started skiing in North America as holidays of equivalent quality in the Alps were more expensive with kids at half term. Since then, hotel rates, ski rental, lift passes and transfers have all increased much more rapidly than inflation in USD terms, and real GBP prices are c3x what they were 15 years ago.

And it shows. BA used to fly 777 aircraft direct to Denver and Calgary, and a 747 to Vancouver. Calgary has been axed, and the other airports are now served by much smaller aircraft. Our recent weekend flight to Denver was twice downsized to a787-800, the smallest long-haul aircraft in the fleet, and many seats, especially in Economy, remained empty. The flight home was equally deserted, with only 20-30 people around the luggage carousel in Heathrow and 4 sets of skies - other passengers were presumably on connecting flights, and probably not skiers. The cabin crew kept remarking that the flight was extraordinarily empty, even though this was a weekend in ski season.

I scarcely saw a European on the slopes. Years ago, it was common to meet Brits, Austrians and Germans in the Rockies; this year, I met none except for one group in my hotel. Interestingly, and worryingly for the future, I saw scarcely any children and very few instructors.

So, yes: my anecdotal evidence suggests that skiing (in the USA at least) is so expensive that Eurooean punters and families are going elsewhere. And not just the Europeans; as one New Yorker put it to me, "It's 8 hours to the Alps and 5 hours to the Rockies, but the Alps are half the price when I get there. Next year, I'll be going to the Alps."
snow report
Quote:

BA used to fly 777 aircraft direct to Denver and Calgary, and a 747 to Vancouver. Calgary has been axed, and the other airports are now served by much smaller aircraft.

I'm not sure you can draw much from one airline. I suspect there's too much competition at Calgary. Personally I've always found air Transat and air Canada much cheaper than ba.
ski holidays
Oddly my Paradiski season pass cost €580ish this year, whereas last year it was over €100 more expensive even with a discount for buying it before the end of November. Fuel costs and channel crosings have risen so it costs more to drive to the resort, but between my wife and I that is not as great as the saving on season pass. food is a bit more expensive, but that is the same wether or not I go on holiday.

Oh! and I'm a pensioner so the government is happy giving me an inflation increase, but not to those who work for it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy