Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mind the gap?

Poster: A snowHead
Eh?

https://fb.watch/icORwLIN7X/

Also on this page for those who don't do Facebook:

https://planetski.eu/2023/01/01/januarys-ski-news-in-brief-live-updated/

It worries me that new skiers might be getting their information about what is acceptable from sites like PlanetSki.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-01-23 11:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cove shouldn't have been skiing alongside her on that cattrack. He's the reason the second kid went narrowside.

Mind you leaving a gap is sensible as even if you left 15m on the other side of the empty piste some numpty french kid with an angry mum will try to take the 6 inches on the narrow side unsuccessfully .
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@sugarmoma666, the FB link doesn't take you to the ski vid
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
All I saw was two reckless idiots skiing far too fast for the terrain.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timmycb5, same
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
holidayloverxx wrote:
@sugarmoma666, the FB link doesn't take you to the ski vid

Oops Embarassed Now fixed in the OP I hope.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dave of the Marmottes, I generally try and leave a gap on a run like that, but beginners might not be finding it that easy and hence might go right to the edges.

I was disappointed that the PlanetSki article didn't highlight the FIS slope rules and explain that the overtaking skiers have responsibility for avoiding the skier ahead, including taking into account that they might make unpredictable moves.

I was in La Tania this week and skied the green run (road) down to above our chalet each day. There were often novice skiers on there, as is their right, and I kicked off speed and hung behind until I was able to pass them cleanly with plenty of space.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timmycb5 wrote:

Me too. I really think the article should have highlighted that the fast skiers were out of order.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

Me too. I really think the article should have highlighted that the fast skiers were out of order.

I think they were by virtue of the relative speeds but they executed safe passes so hard to judge absolutely. We don't know what they were prepared to do in terms of going up the bank etc. And slow speed by the camera can give a false impression of absolute speed.

Regardless the idiots aren't reducing anywhere so Cove would be better extending his "Protect Yo-self" tips to not filming on narrow cattracks and nor running alongside each other in narrow situations.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Regardless the idiots aren't reducing anywhere so Cove would be better extending his "Protect Yo-self" tips to not filming on narrow cattracks and nor running alongside each other in narrow situations.

Yes, something equivalent to "defensive driving" wouldn't make a bad article. But I still think failing to highlight that we a faster, uphill skier you have responsibilities is an oversight.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My god this forum seems to be getting worse, nobody has even commented on the fact that some guy was filming his mrs on the slowest green road in the world...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@homers double, I think you'll find DoTM has. It was an instructor and client, not Mr and Mrs
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
was there another video?
i only saw the snowboarder in a bikini Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
terrygasson wrote:
was there another video?
i only saw the snowboarder in a bikini Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

There was a snowboard ?? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Other things aside, I have always thought that it is an important thing to teach beginners to not ski to the very edge of the piste & everyone should always look up hill if they are planning to ski to the edge of the piste to stop. No matter that it is primarily the uphill skiers responsibility to avoid the collision and it may suck that you have to accommodate other peoples mistakes but knowing that it was the other guy's fault is little consolation when you are injured and your holiday & more is ruined.

I was slowly sliding towards my friend that was sat on the side of the piste when I just caught the sound of an approaching boarder, no time to look but I consciously stopped half a metre short of my friend just as the boarder shot between us at high speed, really glad I wasn't listening to music or wearing anything that covered my ears that day.
ski holidays
Towards my friend that(sic) was sat on the side of the piste

Say no more
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
Timmycb5 wrote:

I think they were by virtue of the relative speeds but they executed safe passes so hard to judge absolutely. We don't know what they were prepared to do in terms of going up the bank etc. And slow speed by the camera can give a false impression of absolute speed.

The second pass was definitely not a "safe pass", unless your only criteria is contact was not actually made. From the speed and skiing position no way could he have adjusted in time to avoid if something unexpected happened. And he came very very close to making contact. I don't know why you would add equivocation to this.

"Cove" is more than within his rights to both ski alongside (which is momentary anyway) and I don't at all see a problem with filming someone on a cat-track. I do think that it makes sense to apply some self-preservation sense however. But expecting beginners especially to always leave a gap to the side on narrow tracks is unreasonable.

Bottom line is was unsafe behaviour and it is luck more than anything that there was not a collision. It is inexcusable.
ski holidays
Rights don't help with a non reducing number of idiots out there.
latest report
Gentle Green run going past a slow sign skiing with your misses enjoying yourself isn’t that why we go skiing ? the comments of shouldn’t be skiing alongside each
are ridiculous, 2 idiots going too fast through gaps that ain’t there is what happened.
latest report
And how are you going to stop the idiots creaming you while you hold hands? Handwringing in a hospital bed won't get you far.
snow conditions
And how are you going to stop the idiots creaming you while you hold hands? Handwringing in a hospital bed won't get you far.

I suppose as with everything it’s a matter of opinion, I go skiing to enjoy myself with my family as the people on the video were, not sure I’d go as far as holding hands I think he was videoing to capture good memories, I seen absolutely nothing wrong with what they were doing.

I understand your point though and not being argumentative Cool
snow conditions
This argument often seems to become circular. I don’t think anyone disagrees with the idea that it makes sense to ski with self-preservation in mind. Or that you cannot always rely on other people following the rules and skiing in a safe manner.

But the same people in these discussions always seem to want to be equivocal about the idea that the uphill slope user has responsibility, much more so because they can actually see what is happening in front of them. I don’t get why the couple on the cat track are the subject of criticism when it is clear they were passed twice in a very unsafe manner. It worries my that so many even here seem to think close calls are ok, and are only caused by downhill slope users making unsafe movements on the slope. The fact remains that if a downhill skier does make an unsafe manoeuvre and you then crash into them (or come close to doing so), it is your fault.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 23-01-23 14:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I just think there is not a lot of point in going all internet warrior on people who let's not forget in this instance did not contact the woman in any way.

What's the point in Cove writing an article where he says look at these idiots solely for the benefit of some tutting readership? They are EVERYWHERE.
At least he's trying to provide some self- defence tips. But for a complete article he should have covered the code and extra measures they could have taken themselves.
latest report
I'm not sure I see the problem.

If you're gurning for the camera rather than maintaining awareness of your surroundings, anyone passing you will be unexpected? People do become unaware of their surroundings when they're playing with electronic devices, as anyone trying to walk around a gormless phone user on a pavement will know. Fortunately most competent people do actually look where they're going, not at some camera in a completely different direction.

So yeah, mildly risky behaviour from camera people, but fortunately everyone else was competent so no harm done.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy