Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Massively increased hotel costs in Innsbruck (and elsewhere?)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm a bit of an Innsbruck ski addict having spent at least a couple of days there almost every year for 10 years or so.
We always stayed at the Weisses Kreuz which had these ridiculously cheap single rooms for about 40 Euros (B&B).
But other hotels weren't massively more expensive.
The WK has now alas been refitted/rebranded as an upmarket luxury place.
Last year we found a few hotels for 75 Euros per night, but this year there appears to be nothing under 110 so a massive increase.
This includes checking for different dates across the season.
Just wondering if anyone knows why? Also, if this is the case in other Alpine cities and large towns?
Appreciate prices go up every year, but it seems to be a huge jump in a very short space of time.
Also, know that ski resort chalet-based holidays are much more expensive (now that it's harder for UK operators to run them post Brexit), so maybe it's a knock-on effect.
Thanks.
N Neige
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just checked my last few bookings for Innsbruck going back to 2017, and they were all the same price for Friday and Saturday nights.
My next booking is €5 more but that includes about €10 "penalty" for fully flexible rate that I can cancel right up to the day of the stay (mainly cos I had to secure a booking, but couldn't confirm that actual stay until today, and might have had to change it to a different location)
€80 might not be the cheapest, but more often than not I'm spending accrued points.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Neil Neige, hotel costs in the UK have jumped massively too. I did read a report a few weeks back saying hotels had put their prices up more than most other businesses.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
While the hotels were closed during the pandemic, a lot took the opportunity to do building work and refurbishments that would otherwise have affected their guests. A fair few new “luxury” style hotels have also popped up over the same period – Vaya seem to be everywhere, but there are plenty of others, and with them comes higher prices.

City hotels were apparently also very badly hit during corona, worse than the resort ones which had a couple of more normal periods, because they rely heavily on business trips and trans-European coach tours particularly from Asian tourists. Perhaps they are trying to recoup their losses.

I have noticed that this year the restaurant prices have suddenly jumped up in some places. Not everywhere, but the schnitzel I had a couple of weeks ago was significant more than I’d been expecting, at almost 20€.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:

I have noticed that this year the restaurant prices have suddenly jumped up in some places. Not everywhere, but the schnitzel I had a couple of weeks ago was significant more than I’d been expecting, at almost 20€.

Shocking!! Shocked

Can we please have a thread on Wienerschnitzel inflation? An analysis of the Cordon Bleu supplement too? And perhaps a comparison with Cotoletta alla Milanese prices in Italy?? And a bit of history of how Vienna stole the Milanese recipe!! wink

That would be classic snowHeads snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jagerbull wrote:
@Neil Neige, hotel costs in the UK have jumped massively too. I did read a report a few weeks back saying hotels had put their prices up more than most other businesses.

serco has 50,000 beds contracted so that doesn't leave a lot of spare capacity for punters, that could be one reason behind high UK hotel prices.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Neil Neige, I know this is going to sound snarky but have you not noticed all the headlines about high inflation across Europe - I believe in Austria it was nearly 8% for 2022 and is currently at 5%.

Also, it sounds like you had a bargain place in the WK that was well below market rate and now that's gone you have a double whammy.

I've noticed some big price hikes in even basic food items here in the UK. Not to mention diesel for the car and gas/electricity for the house.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne - yep, appreciate we have high inflation but £75 to £110 in 12 months is not 8%!
And yes, the WK was a ridiculous bargain and, in fairness, they were for tiny rooms with shared showers.
But this time last year there was tons of much cheaper stuff.
@Andy - interesting about your IBK receipts for the last few years. Maybe you're not down at the budget end like me?
And yep @Jagerbull, prices have indeed flown up in the UK too. I think the scarcity of hotel staff is a big factor, so they've had to put up wages a lot to attract people in (fair enough).
@Scarlet - yeah, good point about the refurbs and interesting that the city hotels have been particularly badly hit.
I might have to now do what normal people do and actually stay in a ski resort instead!

PS tried to use the @function in response to comments but hasn't worked! Do you need to do something else as well?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Neil Neige, just click on the username on the left and it's automatic.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In my experience, everything in Innsbruck is comparatively expensive. Transfers, car hire........
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mollerski wrote:
In my experience, everything in Innsbruck is comparatively expensive. Transfers, car hire........

And property! (to rent or buy)

This is most likely a combo of: corona restrictions lifted (compared to relatively cheaper prices last year), more demand (tourist stays are at or over pre-pandemic levels), international tourists (outside Europe) are back, high inflation, staffing issues (seems really the majority of hospitality businesses are struggling to get/afford enough enough staff), Ukraine, massive increase in energy and fuel costs... etc etc. Probably also the ending of corona help packages put a lot of stress on businesses too.

The last few weeks particularly we've noticed food costs jumping up in supermarkets.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, Pre Covid, INNS was expensive. Our aim is always to get to Selva. INNS is the shortest transfer. The alternatives being Verona or possibly Venice. Car hire out of INNS can be as much as 2/3 time more expensive than equivalent deals from the Italian airports. Transfers are more complicated to compare given the greater distances.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999 wrote:
staffing issues (seems really the majority of hospitality businesses are struggling to get/afford enough enough staff),

A big issue for a while in London hotels was lack of cleaners - they couldn't re-recruit/retain enough (at offered wages - low, vs high cost of living in London) when hotels were trying to scale up again post covid, and so were having to sell less rooms. But most fixed costs were unchanged (rent, heating, lighting, etc), and so the price per room had to be higher to compensate.

(Not sure of the current situation - i used to work in the hotel industry, but not spoken to people still in it recently)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The fashion for doing endless refurbishment and considering any bathroom more than 2 years old "tired" is absurd.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Literally just checked into the Sporthotel in Igls for 88 euros including breakfast.
There are still deals out there if you look....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy