Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transfers Innsbruck to St Anton

Poster: A snowHead
Heading to St Anton at the end of January for 5 days. Looking at transfers from Innsbruck Airport they seem very expensive. The train looks like a good option price wise but think there would be a bus involved? Arriving Sunday afternoon leaving Friday morning. Anybody got any advice? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yep, bus or taxi from Innsbruck airport to Innsbruck station.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There are straight-through trains from Innsbruck HB every 2 hours. In between those times, there are trains to Landeck and then a bus. See if you can time a straight-through train - much less hassle with luggage. The trip time is a bit over an hour.

https://fahrplan.oebb.at/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The train station is right in the centre of the village though you might need to take a taxi depending on how far your accommodation is. There are usually taxis waiting outside the station. Also note the trains to St Anton from Innsbruck are only once every two hours, the journey time is around an hour. Sometimes, depending on exactly where you are staying as the bus might stop nearby, it can be worth taking the Post bus to or from Landeck from where the trains are at least hourly.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@redthunder, choose car hire, much better option. Or advance purchase your OBB train options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@skimastaaah completely disagree!

Bus from airport to Innsbruck HBF then train is so easy I will 100% do again if coming from Innsbruck. 3 mins walk from train station in St Anton to centre of St Anton.

E tickets through ÖBB App but think you need a paper bus ticket from vending machine in bus station.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Check if the ÕBB site has an option to buy your lift pass too. Done this a few years ago and it included a free taxi from St Anton station to your accommodation in St Anton. Not sure what the deal was called or if it's still available. Have done private transfers and train over the years. If there's a group then the taxi option could be decent option https://austria-taxi.at/ was a good price for transfer when used in the past.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ja203 wrote:
E tickets through ÖBB App but think you need a paper bus ticket from vending machine in bus station.

There is no need for a paper ticket, just buy your tickets through from end to end, bus and train. (I believe you can do this on the ÖBB app, but it's not the one I use so I'm not certain. It can be done on the app called VVT Tickets, which covers all public transport in Tirol (and possibly elsewhere, but again, I've not done this)).

There are definitely discounts to be had though, by booking your whole journey in one go, as it doesn't always charge extra for the bus Cool
E.g. the app gives me the same price to take a bus and train to St Anton (my village > Innsbruck Hbf > St Anton) as it does if I start at Innsbruck Hbf. The bus into the city is normally about 2.80€.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can anyone suggest some cheap accommodation in St. Anton?

With the train transfer so easy from Innsbruck I might have to do a long weekend.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
coochiemudlo wrote:
Can anyone suggest some cheap accommodation in St. Anton?

I am afraid the words cheap & St Anton dont fit well together. I believe there is a hostel type place in Pettneu, there are still some traditional "Pension" (bed & breakfast places) but in general they prefer to book full weeks, if you are lucky you can find them from about €50 / night inc breakfast (please note the word "from"!!). Many places have been upgraded to hotel type accommodation in the past few years and generally even the cheaper hotels would be from about €120 / night most a lot more. I would suggest looking in Pettneu which is actually more convenient than many places which are described as in "St Anton". The best place to look is on the tourist office website but it can be a struggle unless budget is not a big issue.

Also prices might well go up this year due to the cost of energy, much the same as everywhere.

@Scarlet, yes you can get bus tickets on the OEBB app, though I have only ever bought a bus/train ticket.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im going to book the bus and train. Thanks for the ideas
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did this transfer last season solo.

Quite easy to do, bus from airport to train station, train booked on the OBB app. Nice and easy, not worth paying a fortune for a taxi transfer at all.

Nothing like that feeling of excitement when the train starts getting into the mountains with the piste getting nearer and nearer... Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Why do so many people associate a "private transfer" with the term "expensive"?
A private ski lesson for 1 person in St Anton now costs € 245 for 2 hours, + € 34 per extra person.
A night in a bed and breakfast, off season, for 1 person € 100 upwards.
A private transfer from Innsbruck airport to St Anton for 1-3 people € 190, for 4-8 people € 210.
Your private transfer includes a luxury vehicle, experienced and knowledgable driver, free drinking water, fuel and tolls, parking at the airport, waiting time at the airport when/if delayed, free child seats, help with your luggage, etc, etc.
What does your private ski lesson include? Ski hire - No, Lift pass - No, Free drink - No, Extra time because you were late for some random reason - No.
Private transfers may seem like a luxury, but if you compare the price to the rest of what you are paying for your ski holiday - accommodation, ski rental, ski lessons, drinks at the bar, food on the slopes, flights - then a fast and reliable way of getting to and from resort doesn't seem that expensive anymore. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I generally do a private transfer, If I catch a early flight from UK, Land at INn around 9:30. with a private transfer can be on the slopes in Tyrol for lunch, private transfer back for a circa 17:00 flight out means that I ski up to lunch on the return day.
In my world, it works out a good value, maximises slope time...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
whitedescents wrote:
A private ski lesson for 1 person in St Anton now costs € 245 for 2 hours, + € 34 per extra person.

Shouldnt you be comparing the price against bus & train?
ski holidays
Gored wrote:
whitedescents wrote:

Agreed. Apples and oranges! I would rather spend my money on things that mean more to me; besides, I love travelling by train in Europe.

Use a private transfer by all means if it is your thing, and can afford it, but don’t try to rationalise the cost by comparing it to unrelated purchases.
snow conditions
When I have looked - I have always looked for shared transfers. Can never find them though.
snow report
@ulmerhutte, it makes quite a difference if you're traveling to Europe from Australia for several weeks, or if you're traveling from e.g. London or Amsterdam to The Alps for just a week, or a weekend. Then a private transfer makes an extra 1,5 day of skiing possible.
Quite a rational thing to do.

On the other hand: Look at all the people fussing about the 9 euro Austrian vignette...
latest report
@Langerzug, true. We will be in StA for 10 weeks, and will arrive there after close to 30 hours of travelling. As such, we have no desire to ski on the day of arrival, nor would it even be sensible.

That is very different to having only a week off from work, or even just a long weekend, and travelling for only a few hours, in the same time zone, or close to it. Under those circumstances, it is rational to weigh the cost of the transfer versus the joy of additional ski time.
ski holidays
ulmerhutte wrote:
Gored wrote:
whitedescents wrote:

Agreed. Apples and oranges! I would rather spend my money on things that mean more to me; besides, I love travelling by train in Europe.

Use a private transfer by all means if it is your thing, and can afford it, but don’t try to rationalise the cost by comparing it to unrelated purchases.

Yes, this is a very amusing way of looking at how expensive things are.. Laughing

Compare the cost to totally unrelated and more expensive things, and then say it's cheap and affordable... Laughing

@whitedescents I don't envy your accountant Laughing
latest report
Quote:

I wasn't trying to argue the cost of a private transfer against the cost of public transport. It's pretty pointless as a train can carry a few hundred people, and a bus 50-70 people. A private transfer is 1-8 people usually.
Of course it will be cheaper. We could start comparing the price of a taxi from London to St Anton against the price of a flight, but it seems a tad pointless wink
I was merely trying to point out that the term "private transfer is expensive" is relative.
I often find it strange/funny/amusing that a family will spend during February half term, 1000's on flights, 100's on private ski lessons, 1000's on a 4 star hotel, 100's on ski rental plus everything else in between, but try and save € 20-30 by searching for the cheapest transfer company. Is a safe and reliable journey to and from the ski resort not worth it?
I see more and more families left standing at Innsbruck airport because their arranged transfer hasn't turned up every season. I assume it's the same at all the main ski airports.
ski holidays
whitedescents wrote:

A private transfer from Innsbruck airport to St Anton for 1-3 people € 190, for 4-8 people € 210.

I'd not considered it before, but is it therefore € 380 for a return transfer? Just booked some flights and looking at car hire vs transfers. Car hire handy as youngest can enjoy some apres and we then pick her up afterwards!
snow conditions
Yes, that is the one way price. Return is double. Minus a 5% discount for Snowheads of course!
There are cheaper companies online, some of them are okay, some of them are completely unreliable. I recommend looking indepentently on Tripadvisor or Google reviews for negative reviews before booking one. www.find-transfers.com is a good website for finding smaller local companies, but the same advice applies. Check them out on review websites first.
ski holidays
Sorry, that sounded wrong. The "return" is not double. It's the same price wink
snow report
I have just booked a shared transfer via ski-lifts.com for £90. Whilst they are a 3rd party operator they sorted me out last year at short notice for Tignes (had not heard of snow-drone at that time) and saved a holiday when I missed the PSB due to the Covid PCR debacle.

I had planned to get a bus and a train but I will be travelling for an off-piste week which always seems to involve more weight with ski (perhaps x2 pairs) shovels and airbags etc. At 60 like a bit of convenience particularly if travelling alone. Will feed back. Booked via Quidco for 5% cash back
snow conditions
Used the bus and train yesterday. Was excellent, the train was €38 with reserved seats for 2 people . Bus €9. From Plane to st Anton just over 2 hours. Passport control took 5 mins too makes Grenoble look appalling. Will be doing that again.
ski holidays
@redthunder, a tip: use one of the transport apps to book the journey in one go, across both bus and train, from start to finish. You should find the bus is included in the €38 Cool
ski holidays
Nice. I used the two separate apps for the train and bus. Thanks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy