Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski holiday costs family of 5

Poster: A snowHead
Long time since I've worked out the costs

Does this sound right so far for a Family of five easter school hols

Plane to GVA return £3k
Private Transfer GVA La Plagne return £900
(or drive £700?)
Lift Passes £1340
Lunches on mountain £500
Kit hire £750
Accom?
Lessons?

What do you budget / spend?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I try not to think about it!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For similar scope for 2 adults and 2 kids, I budget £1,500 to £2,000 per head late March.

This is all up, flights to GVA, passes, kit, hotel accommodation, private ski lessons for the kids, food etc etc

I could probably shave off £250 per head by exploring shared chalet options and a further £500 in total by having group lessons for the kids.

I’m too old to be able to ski all day with the kids; else I would knock ski lessons on the head altogether. Same when they’re old enough to ski alone.

I would love to get everyone up the mountain for a week for £5k. Then I’d be tempted to do it twice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd definitely drive if that is what flights are coming in at. I got flights for the 4 of us to Zurich 26th Dec and 2nd Jan return for £960 and again to Geneva 20th Feb and 24th return £460, both with Swiss. I'm driving 1st April so they must have been expensive. Family prefer driving anyway so if flights in school holidays stay at these prices that will be the end of flying for us.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I spent £3,900 pre-Xmas week in St-Foy for family of 5 driving and self-catering. That figure includes accommodation (next to slopes with pool), Flexiplus, 2 hotel rooms for drive down, ski passes, and lessons for 3 kids.

We all have our own skis and eat lunches in the apartment, so don't have those costs.

Must say £750 sounds steep for ski hire... Also drive is more than £700.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are family of 4 and average of last 5 trips (La Clusaz, Les Contamines, Flaine and 2 x Val Thorens, all in school hols) is £1k a head - driving with hotels each way, but not flexiplus, self catering, lunches on the mountain, lift passes and one evening out. We do have all our own kit though so no hire costs and boys don't always have lessons though as they've had loads of weeks skiing so not really needed.

@HilbertSpace, that's good value, clearly not eating out on the mountain saves money!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
zikomo wrote:
I try not to think about it!
Wise. I also book/pay for things several months apart to assist with the ignoring.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Timmycb5, Laughing Thats what we did when the kids came with us
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
£3k for family of five to Geneva at Easter? Are you going business class?

In the good old days I would hope to get flights for four for maybe £500 if lucky, now more like £1k +/- a bit.

Are you booking late so got go with the higher priced ones?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
They have been high for a while I think because I recall considering not bothering with half term before Christmas until I checked the cost of moving flights to Easter. It was over 2k back then.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Family of 4. We have our own kit. Used to get it all in for £4K pre Covid but normally around £5000, probably another £k more in Feb half term. Splashed out this year on flexi plus as it’s hard to switch trains now as it is so busy.

Costs

Eurotunnel £300-700 (could use Tesco’s to save money)
Hotels on way and back £180 max often cheaper
Tolls £125
Diesel £200 increased it this year
Meals there and back £80 but often less as I make sandwiches
Car park in resort - free this year but normally £80
Lessons £800 for two but normally private and could do cheaper
Ski lift pass £1000 depends where though
Accommodation £1800
Tesco shop before £150 might be more this year??
Shop in resort £100
Night out dinner £50
Lunches on the slopes £400
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elsie80 wrote:

Meals there and back £80 but often less as I make sandwiches
Tesco shop before £150 might be more this year??
Shop in resort £100
Night out dinner £50

Surely you'd spend this money anyway?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HilbertSpace wrote:

Surely you'd spend this money anyway?

Good point... Food and drink is cost neutral imv

Also, the savings while on holiday are significant. Say £200 per week on not heating the house and £100 per week on not driving the car(s). There must be more Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Food and drink isn't cost neutral if you pay for 5 lunches on the slopes every day - unless you have an uncommonly elevated way of eating at home! Having an apartment near slopes to eat at lunchtime (especially useful for fussy kids) is one of the few ways to save significant money on a ski holiday.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Of course it's much cheaper if you go for 2 weeks. We actually did this on our first ever family holiday, with three kids and grandma. We had an apartment and cooked just about entirely for ourselves - grandma did lunches, I did suppers. We did have one meal out but were very aware of the cost and with two competent cooks we did much better food for ourselves. We took a LOT of carefully-planned food with us (with 5 luggage allowances there is plenty of room to take food and bits) and even rented skis in Ayr because it was cheaper than Austria. The second week cost very little extra really, the ski passes were the main thing. We all had lessons the first week, but not the second. The youngest was 4 and very wary of skiing. Spent the first week in a nursery at the apartments and with grandma helping to get lunch ready. She had lessons the second week and got on fine but throwing her straight in wouldn't have worked - she needed to watch and take it all in and was very taken with the end of week ski school presentation, with medals for everybody (Austria). We all had a wonderful holiday and the kids were completely hooked, so in the end the financial implications were considerable......
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Of course it's much cheaper if you go for 2 weeks.

Laughing Yes indeed! Practically free if you make it a month!
snow conditions
Well my OH and I went for four months a year in the end. Broke even, overall........
ski holidays
Jeepers, some insane cost being quoted here. We always reckoned on £2.4->£2.8k *all in* for 4 at Feb half term. But that was 4 years ago and costs seem to have gone insane now.

But still wouldn't expect to pay more than £3.5 k at Easter Shirley..
snow report
xmas/new year for 4 of us, 10 nights half board hotel in kirchberg, euro tunnel hotel one night on journey out. lunches on mountain, kids in ski club for 6 days, all got own kit, got season lift passes so split that cost between days we're there. circa £5k

Feb half term 7 nights half board in Fügen, flying in to Germany nuremberg, staying 1 night with family in ingolstadt, car hire, 3 days ski club for kids, lunches on mountain. season passes, own kit circa £3.8k

Easter 2 weeks half board (ischgl 1st week/2nd week serfaus fiss ladis) ski club 6 days euro tunnel, 1 over night on way out. lunch on mountain, season passes own kit circa £6.7k
ski holidays
‘New kit costs’ - theres always a few 100€ needed to be spent for new gloves, missing thermals etc.

For us when we drive we also have to factor in paid parking and the car train through the swiss alps- about 200€

We also usually have childcare costs BUT NOT THIS YEAR - hello ski school Eh oh!
latest report
We drive and self cater and have done for years going either half term Feb or Easter school hols (cheaper but then we go higher so increase lift pass costs tend to rule savings out!).

Someone mentioned £1000 a head which is a good rule of thumb. We do use Tesco vouchers on Eurotunnel (shaves off £50 or so) but cross Thurs night and 'ring kids in absent' Friday to avoid peak travel crowds.

We also book in 3 X accommodations for way down and back to make life easier and avoid traffic.

Do a massive food shop before resort. Eat out 2-3 evenings in resort (which we prefer to big lunches) but only snack more at lunchtimes.

Kit hire for 3 out of 4 of us but no lessons needed anymore.

Try to be very canny when renting appt - rent direct off the French. 950 Euros for 2 bed appt in Val Claret 50m from door to slope in Easter hols 2022 (one week).
latest report
kettonskimum wrote:
We drive and self cater and have done for years going either half term Feb or Easter school hols (cheaper but then we go higher so increase lift pass costs tend to rule savings out!).

Someone mentioned £1000 a head which is a good rule of thumb. We do use Tesco vouchers on Eurotunnel (shaves off £50 or so) but cross Thurs night and 'ring kids in absent' Friday to avoid peak travel crowds.

We also book in 3 X accommodations for way down and back to make life easier and avoid traffic.

Do a massive food shop before resort. Eat out 2-3 evenings in resort (which we prefer to big lunches) but only snack more at lunchtimes.

Kit hire for 3 out of 4 of us but no lessons needed anymore.

Try to be very canny when renting appt - rent direct off the French. 950 Euros for 2 bed appt in Val Claret 50m from door to slope in Easter hols 2022 (one week).

Genuine question, how do you rent direct off the French? I.e., which websites, phone numbers, agents etc.?
ski holidays
I've recently priced up some tour operator options, and half board DIY, and was astonished at the prices. Not very spectacular Crystal holidays not far off £1000 a head for a week, half board including flights and transfers. Or twice that for a singleton. Comparing a (spacious) apartment in Aosta and half board (lift passes included) in Pila my daughter and I are saving £500 a head by self catering in Aosta, even allowing for food and lunches out. gives us more flexibility too, with other resorts within easy reach.

And I don't even like half board - and the hotel reviews weren't sparkling by any means. And in our apartment my daughter and I will have separate sleeping areas so she won't have to cope with my snoring.

I looked at airBnB self catering prices in Sauze d'Oulx, Cervinia, Aosta, Bardonecchi and one or two others and found them expensive - some of them VERY. . Just as I did an airBnB in Barry (South Wales) in October. It used to be a low cost option but not any more. Owners seem to see it as a licence to print money with all kinds of insescapable extra "cleaning" and "admin" fees. The apartment we're renting in Aosta, direct from Italian proprietor, is a lot cheaper (recommended by a Snowhead who has stayed there several times, so I have no concerns) and the price includes cleaning!
latest report
I’ve used AirBnB a bit in the past and had mixed but generally positive experiences until one year the host cancelled on me a week before the date.

I subsequently learnt this can happen a lot as local hosts rent out apartments and then withdraw the booking in advance of weekends that are predicted to have great conditions to use for themselves / friends.

I’m not sure if there’s a way of mitigating this issue?

Insurance doesn’t help really as you’re still left with the challenge of finding alternative accommodation.
ski holidays
@Sasha320320, Since COVID I've used Abritel (it's in French but not hard to navigate!). You can cancel up to a month before you go and get your money back.

Also VRBO. I've also had luck just Googling '2 chambre appartment' and resort name. Tourist info website of the resort you're going to normally provides contact lists of rental providers.

We tend to change resort each year but initially, when we didn't, once we got communications directly from the French people we were renting off I would then email them directly about the following year avoiding any agency fees. Deposit etc all done by bank transfer.

Takes a fair bit of research but has always paid off! And I quite like doing it.....
snow report
We're a family of 4. We usually budget approximately £1000-£1,500 per person, depending on quality of accommodation.

Christmas just gone:
Flights to Vienna - £450 rtn
Parking at LHR - approx. £85
Trains from Vienna to resort via Salzburg - £150 rtn
Transfer from train station to resort - £40 rtn
Accommodation (plush aparthotel, ski in, ski out next to lift and ski schools) - £2,400
Equipment hire for husband and I (skis/poles for me, skis/poles/boots him) - £150
Ski school/equipment hire package for two children - £400
Spending money, including lunches on the mountain, beers in the evening - approx £100 per day
Lift passes (bought prior to arrival and utilising their advance booking 20% reduction) - £600
Insurance - £60ish (I think)
Total: £4,995

This doesn't include food shopping we did at the supermarket over the course of the week. However, as we would do that at home anyway, we never count that as 'holiday spending money'. We had two evening meals out which blew the the £100 a day spending budget. Christmas Eve alone cost about £200 and we had dinner at a pizzeria on Christmas Day, which was another £100, both including drinks. But some days we came in under £100.

In the end we spent about £5,500 in total.

The majority of this was the accommodation. We could have saved about £1000 if we'd been willing to stay further out and ski bus or walk in.

We booked it all independently and used Booking for the accommodation. On our previous trip, we stayed in an apartment that we found on VRBO that was a great option. However, when we went to rebook it for Christmas, all of the owners had put their prices up. It was then only about £500 cheaper than the plush new aparthotel right on the slope. For us, if we were spending that amount of money, we'd rather throw a little bit more at it and have the luxury and convenience. We saved money by flying into an airport further away. Our travel costs were £600. Direct flights to Salzburg were over £1000, and that's before transfers or trains to get from the airport to resort.

We're considering La Plagne for Easter next year and will drive. We hope to bring it in closer to the £3,500 mark doing this. Nosing at Sunweb at the moment for this coming Easter, it looks doable. The compromise will be not having a spa in the accommodation.
snow conditions
@Owlette, could name / link to the accommodation?
snow conditions
Very interesting to see candid information from other snowHead inclusive of what they wanted and got for their money.

An observation that may affect some, the topic of cancellation when often quoted by the buying as being an attribute, can also have consequences in the market with vendors being treated as though they're not affected.

Knowing some that are individual/family owned and not part of a chain (that's not always apparent) and the impact a significant cancellation can have on their business, it may just change some opinions if this is appreciated.

The buyer cancelling can/has/will often have more open choice of accommodation for their demands. The vendor being fixed in location etc may have significant difficulty in replacing that booking, likey having to discount to attract a buyer etc.

Effectively saying it's possibly easy for buyer to want flexibility, but doesn't see that as so attractive on the other side of the equation. I know that doesn't take account of the unscrupulous, but there is impact there.

We've been in the beneficial position of renting at very very late booking with private owners in voids they have, either at half capacity, with them maybe having some fixed cost to cover (laundry, cleaning contract etc that they've committed to for season) open discussion of what it would take to get their place for a week with quick and dirty payment helps us both out.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sasha320320 wrote:
Genuine question, how do you rent direct off the French? I.e., which websites, phone numbers, agents etc.?

Usual starting point is the resort tourist information website. They usually have listings or search facility. Then you work from there. Many years ago, Oz-en-Oisans, ADH had a listing. I emailed/phoned a small number. Rented directly off an owner who sent the key in advance to our home address and then we mailed back to them. I think we booked with them about 4 times. Used resort search to find a place in Les Menuires and booked direct twice with owner. In Les Coches (La Plagne) used to always use the search facility but would more often than not that would complete via a local immo aka rental agent. More recently have searched directly on agents website. Etc. etc.

I've looked at airbnb's recently but for skiing apartment doesn't seem to work so well. Less options, more expensive, etc. When we went to Iceland for several days (not skiing) we booked a different place through airbnb for each night. I think the French are pretty conservative and old school about this stuff.

For a shoebox in France currently I would expect to pay another from 400 Euros for a smaller resort off season up to 800 Euros for Les Coches at Feb HT (we paid that 2022). That is for 4 people. Apartment prices are obviously like a piece of string - you can pay much more if you want more space and/or more luxury.
latest report
Our costs and comments from Les Coches, La Plagne trip last HT:

Tunnel Crossing: £245 (mostly paid in Tesco's vouchers)
Apartment: £791.87
Lift Pass 6.5 days: £989.66
Lift Pass second Saturday: £92.74
Fuel: £228.48
Tolls: £144.29
Food: £189.64 + £75 for meal on way home
Ski hire (due to ski breakage): £55 (3 days)
Insurance: £75 (50% of annual policy)

TOTAL: £2886.68

Per Person: £721.67

Per Person Per skiing day (7 excluding bit of Saturday): £103.10

Costs were a fair bit more than we normally pay at Christmas or Easter because of the extra cost of accommodation at HT and adding C19 insurance on it and paying a bit more for wifi.

Also extra cost of ski hire because of broken ski.
latest report
NickyJ wrote:
@Owlette, could name / link to the accommodation?

Absolutely. It was fabulous.

https://www.booking.com/Share-nQjGuZ
snow report
Quick butchers on Sunweb, and you can get accom (7 nights) + lift pass (6 days) + ski/boot hire (6 days) for a grand total of £205pp - based on 5 sharing in Superdevoluy.

Granted that's leaving next Saturday, and not much use to anyone with kids, and you still need to add the costs of getting there. But it gives you an idea of how cheap a skiing holiday can be.
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
Our costs and comments from Les Coches, La Plagne trip last HT:

Tunnel Crossing: £245 (mostly paid in Tesco's vouchers)
Apartment: £791.87
Lift Pass 6.5 days: £989.66
Lift Pass second Saturday: £92.74
Fuel: £228.48
Tolls: £144.29
Food: £189.64 + £75 for meal on way home
Ski hire (due to ski breakage): £55 (3 days)
Insurance: £75 (50% of annual policy)

TOTAL: £2886.68

Per Person: £721.67

Per Person Per skiing day (7 excluding bit of Saturday): £103.10

Costs were a fair bit more than we normally pay at Christmas or Easter because of the extra cost of accommodation at HT and adding C19 insurance on it and paying a bit more for wifi.

Also extra cost of ski hire because of broken ski.

This is great, thank you. We were googlemapping home to La Plagne last night and Mr. O estimated about £400 in fuel plus crossing. Despite the fact we drive to France every summer, I'd forgotten about the tolls. We normally get the ferry, but I'd be open to the train if there's potential for a choppy crossing. We went Dover to Calais at 4am at the end of May last year and were a bit green by the end of it. We're used to smooth August sailings.

Still cheaper than flights for 4 plus transfers though.

He's saving up his free Hotels.com nights and we plan to redeem those on our drive to La Plagne
snow report
I definitely could cut my costs down if - we stay in an apartment that we need to walk or bus in, but with two kids and the fact I hate walking in ski boots we tend to find places close to the piste. I also think we could cut down the costs by putting the kids into group ski lessons but unfortunately they don’t get on with them and the Eurotunnel - at one point I was paying for our entire Eurotunnel out of vouchers but after three waits at Calais with significant queues for hours we decided to splash out. One year we also took sandwiches for the kids to eat on the slope as it was easier - so all that could save us £1000 or so…
snow conditions
kettonskimum wrote:
@Sasha320320, Since COVID I've used Abritel (it's in French but not hard to navigate!). You can cancel up to a month before you go and get your money back.

Also VRBO. I've also had luck just Googling '2 chambre appartment' and resort name. Tourist info website of the resort you're going to normally provides contact lists of rental providers.

We tend to change resort each year but initially, when we didn't, once we got communications directly from the French people we were renting off I would then email them directly about the following year avoiding any agency fees. Deposit etc all done by bank transfer.

Takes a fair bit of research but has always paid off! And I quite like doing it.....

Thank you Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh! Eh oh!
ski holidays
mikeycharlton wrote:
Quick butchers on Sunweb, and you can get accom (7 nights) + lift pass (6 days) + ski/boot hire (6 days) for a grand total of £205pp - based on 5 sharing in Superdevoluy.

Granted that's leaving next Saturday, and not much use to anyone with kids, and you still need to add the costs of getting there. But it gives you an idea of how cheap a skiing holiday can be.

I did the same last night when Mr. O asked me how cheap I coukd get Easter this year. Challenge accepted.

Managed to find a 1 bed apartment in Superdevoluy for £912 from the 8th of April (second week of the Easter holidays).
This included accommodation, lift passes and equipment hire. So stick another £2k on that for petrol, tolls, crossing, lessons and food. Still not bad for school holiday skiing.

We decided against it as a non-negotiable for us is separate sleeping areas. Children are 11 and 9 and a fricking nightmare if sharing a room. 11 likes to torment his brother, so one usually starts in our bed and gets moved to his when the other falls asleep. We could save a fair bit if we all crammed into one room. But it wouldn't be worth it for our sanity. Mr. O and I have opposing sleep patterns too so sleeping in the living room is out for us. Some things aren't worth compromising on. It's all about figuring out what you are willing to compromise on. Like Elsie, I'd also rather be closer to minimise walking with the kids. And actually, last year it was nice to be able to relax in the apartment at lunchtime.
snow report
@Owlette, yea I totally get the need for an extra bedroom.

Did you look for a larger apartment? Would surely not have added too much more to the overall cost of the holiday?

If you're self catering, then i'd personally ignore the food costs. It's not like you wouldn't eat at home for a week if you didn't go away.
ski holidays
mikeycharlton wrote:
@Owlette, yea I totally get the need for an extra bedroom.

Did you look for a larger apartment? Would surely not have added too much more to the overall cost of the holiday?

If you're self catering, then i'd personally ignore the food costs. It's not like you wouldn't eat at home for a week if you didn't go away.

Ah, the brief was to find it as cheap as possible so that's what I did. Have found a 2 bed in Risoul for £1177 from the 1st to the 8th April. Accommodation, passes and hire included in that price.

Husband has said he'd rather be away for Christmas again and throw a bit extra at that, rather than try to scrimp now to shoehorn another trip in (especially as it was only a month ago that we flew to Austria for a week). But who knows. We did a 4 night trip to Brittany last May with only 36 hours between booking and departure because he decided he didn't want to stay home for half term, so the same may happen at Easter. We've also already booked our summer holiday, so need to pay for that too.
snow report
We've usually booked a 2 bed but have got us all in one bedroom this Feb half term to keep costs down (rentals have gone up!).

It's a double and bunk with curtain partitioning (in a bedroom) so more like bedroom camping! Kids are young teens.

I really don't mind as we'll be out all day, in the lounge at night and then dropping into bed when tired.

I compromised this year bedroom wise as we have never done anything other than a 50m walk to the piste with the kids and that's the way we all like it.

If you're on a budget you need a pecking order!
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, that's a lot more than you need to!
We've gone to Val Thorens every Easter (usually first week) for the last 7 years. The general model is Easyjet to Geneva, car hire, 2 adults +2 children (now 15/16), two bed ski in/out apartment. We've always got everything in for £3000 with ski lessons on top of this when the girls needed them. Now we spend some of the lesson money on a larger apartment-twin beds in the second bedroom rather than bunks.
Last year's general budget was around £700 for flights (£3k!!???), £300 for car hire, £800-900 for apartment-all booked as early as possible, around £800 for lift passes, £100 for car parking, £250-300 for ski hire. Self cater but the odd fast-food style lunch on the slopes.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy