Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire from Geneva to Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’ve often hired cars from GVA in the past, to go skiing in France and thought nothing of it. However, on a recent trip to Finland was asked if I would be driving to Sweden and it got me wondering if companies in GVA needed to know if their cars were going to be taken into France or beyond.

I’ve got a great deal on flights to GVA but I was thinking of heading for the Italian side of Mt Blanc for a short break before Easter.

1 - Is it ok/wise/reasonable to fly into GVA to then drive to Italy?
2 - Do the hire companies need to know? (I have no problem telling them, but just curious about this)
3 - Do cars hired from GVA (Swiss side) have the appropriate winterisation for Italy?
4 - Are there transfer companies that do, say, GVA to Aosta Valley & would they be a better option?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. Has been in my experience there were some questions a few years ago but cant remember what the concern was. Its since dissapated.
2. Dont think so.
3 Yes, deffo on the swiss side they are winterised with winter tyres on and also have the Swiss Vignette so can drive straight onto the swiss motorway for fast departure from GVA (Not so much so on the French side and if you dont know the local geography forget about hiring from the French sector).
4. MorzExprss and ChamExpress used to but not sure now. I'm sure some local Snowhead will be along to let you know.

Dont forget to factor in the cost of a return mt Blanc Tunnel pass.
and look at forecast closures and busy times
https://www.tunnelmb.net/en-US/closures-and-forecasts
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You need to read a small print of each company. Italy is most likely be okay for simple (ie non luxury cars).
But as others said if your destination is in Italy cheaper tickets will be well offset by higher rental costs and tunnel tolls, so maybe not too late to stay on this side of Mont Blanc.
A Swiss car would come with snow tyres but with extra payable chains. Not sure if Italian requirement for snow chains stands even with winter tyres.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Reasonable to hire from GVA to drive to Italy. Winterisation is included on the Swiss side and suitable for driving in the Italian alps - French side does not usually include winter tyres but some companies will allow you to rent chains or you could just buy some from a supermarket.

Some companies in CH will ask for a cross-border fee - you have to declare in T&C’s. Hertz charge CHF30 for a weekend rental (may be a flat fee?). Enterprise / Alamo and Flizzr / Sixt do not charge based on my rentals in the last 2 months.

EDIT: Swiss cars generally no longer come with chains as part of winterisation - only winter tyres. This should not be a show stopper as it is now the norm.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think problem may be that if they require you to declare and you don't, you may find that any insurance product you buy from them and the breakdown cover that comes with the vehicle may not cover you if an issue happens in a country where you are not supposed to be.

I tell them, if there’s a fee (never been charged one) I’d pay it to be safe. You may think its a rort, and maybe it is but you may face a big bill if you get caught out.

UK car insurers now seem to need a fee to cover your UK car in Europe if you took it there. Would you not tell them/pay that?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm just back from a few days' skiing in Chatel, having hired a car from GVA (swiss side) with Sixt. I had to pay a fee for 'cross border' driving which I've never had to do before so definitely worth enquiring.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bumble66 wrote:
I'm just back from a few days' skiing in Chatel, having hired a car from GVA (swiss side) with Sixt. I had to pay a fee for 'cross border' driving which I've never had to do before so definitely worth enquiring.

Intersting…. I hired from Flizzr, who are part of Sixt, on 1 December and I did not have to pay cross-border to Châtel. I specifically mentioned I was driving to France to check if breakdown cover was included in France.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy