Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
With the boarder open again. Would anyone know if it's OK to rent a car from the Swiss side of Geneva Airport and travel to France?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure why anyone would do it since it's generally far more expensive to rent a car from the Swiss side than the French side? Also just be aware that the Geneva car hire prices this season have generally been eye waveringly expensive!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@oui4ski, aren’t you guaranteed of getting winter tyres from the Swiss side during the season?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@ster, good question - I've been able to get snow chains from both sides in the past, but I'm not sure if they guarantee winter tyres!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow prices are high whatever side by the looks of it:shock:
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cars from the Swiss side all, and always, have winter tyres in the season. The same is not true on the French side.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mikeje99, thats the current environment for you.

@oui4ski, I don’t think its a legal requirement in Switzerland but the tyres need to be safe and winters are deemed safe, the rental cos cant really give you an unsafe car so put winters on. Not the case maybe in France in terms of summers plus you can carry chains then fit when required.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Cars from the Swiss side all, and always, have winter tyres in the season

and the Swiss motorway badge
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Using comparison websites, they all seem to be focusing on Swiss side hire. I'm actually struggling to find a French side hire that can beat the prices quotes for Swiss side.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes !!!!!!!!!! snowHeads returns to some sort of normality Laughing Laughing Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Using comparison websites, they all seem to be focusing on Swiss side hire. I'm actually struggling to find a French side hire that can beat the prices quotes for Swiss side.

@mikeje99,

I spent a ridiculous amount of time on car hire sites yesterday.

Holiday Autos certainly allow you to choose GVA France on their site - it comes up as a suggestion when you start typing.

I saw one mid-range car for £100 for the week!!

Be aware that only Sixt on the Swiss side take debit cards. That was our issue yesterday, one of our group hasn't had his licence back from DVLA, another had his cards stolen and I don't have a CC - thankfully replacement card was delivered yesterday evening and hours of scouring sites were in vain.

BTW you can get excess cover far cheaper via a TP tha the hire companies themselves - circa £26 for the week.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The French side had, last time I did it, the advantage that you don't need to get on a bus to pick up the car. But there was a lot of work going on at the time, and things might now have changed. It is very hard to find you way back into the French side car drop off place if you don't know the way...... and very easy if you do. But the process of getting from one side to the other on the land side also tends to change a lot - it would be wise for anyone flying in and out of the international side of Gva airport, but renting a car on the French side, to get up to date information. The last time I did it must be four or five years ago now.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
oui4ski wrote:
I'm not sure why anyone would do it since it's generally far more expensive to rent a car from the Swiss side than the French side? Also just be aware that the Geneva car hire prices this season have generally been eye waveringly expensive!

I’ve been looking in the last few days on rentalcars.com and prices are reasonable on the Swiss side. A WV Golf or similar is £200 for 4 days / 3 nights and includes winter tyres. Chains have become an optional extra over recent years on Swiss side but I don’t bother as winter tyres are generally fine. Some companies include chains but will charge a fee if the seal to the container is broken to open.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ozboy, I don't consider £200 for 4 days normal, even for Geneva Swiss side. A couple of years ago that would be the normal price for 8 days.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, £250 including petrol is not bad when compared to €430 for a return after hours private transfer / taxi.
ski holidays
Quote:

A couple of years ago that would be the normal price for 8 days.

Really? I remember a week costing more than that, longer ago than that.
ski holidays
BTW the French side shuts relatively early.

Europcar closes at 5pm and the latest hire company shuts at 6pm......may be why some aren't showing up
snow report
Ozboy wrote:
@denfinella, £250 including petrol is not bad when compared to €430 for a return after hours private transfer / taxi.

That's true. It definitely sounds like car hire is worth it for your circumstances. I was defining good value as "compared to previous seasons", rather than "compared to the current alternatives".

pam w wrote:
Quote:
A couple of years ago that [£200] would be the normal price for 8 days.

8 days rental from Geneva Swiss side in late January cost me £198 in 2020 (Budget), and £161 in 2019 (Enterprise). Size of vehicle varied, but not the smallest class. That's what I based my assertion on anyway. I don't have any records going back further than that.
snow conditions
Ozboy wrote:
oui4ski wrote:

I’ve been looking in the last few days on rentalcars.com and prices are reasonable on the Swiss side. A WV Golf or similar is £200 for 4 days / 3 nights and includes winter tyres. Chains have become an optional extra over recent years on Swiss side but I don’t bother as winter tyres are generally fine. Some companies include chains but will charge a fee if the seal to the container is broken to open.

I have a booking with Alamo. It would be ideal if they supplied chains charged only if used. Keen to keep the cost down, currently £427 7 days. For a compact car. Heading to Cran Montana and unsure of the likeleyhood I will need chains. I have driven Many times to Solden without and only learned now that chains are mandatory there. Not sure if they are in CM.

Tom
snow conditions
The major companies on the Swiss side do provide chains, in my experience. People we met in Les Saisies, two families who'd rented two big SUVs, were leaving the resort to go back to the airport when very heavy snow was forecast overnight. They'd never put chains on. It was only when we offered to give them a rapid demonstration, and get the chains on for them to drive the cars out early on the Saturday morning (they had to park outside) that they realised only one of the vehicles had a set of chains. We put those on (and they took them off and put them back on themselves) and they had to buy a rather expensive set for the other vehicle from our local ski hire shop. The car rental company reimbursed that cost when they got back to the airport.
snow conditions
@Tom H, it appears that they are mandatory when road signs indicate. I doubt you would need them on the valley road and the main roads upto C-M seem well cleared and ploughed when we went there. I would ensure you have winter tyres but I would have thought that needing chains would be unlikely, but famous last words! We rented them from the rental car co. as if we needed them then I'd rather have them especially if it meant missing a flight without them.
snow conditions
Thank you Pam and Ster. Good food for thought. I think I will drop Alamo a line on this ahead of the he trip.
latest report
Quote:

they are mandatory when road signs indicate

Well, sort of. I know some roads where the chains sign is up much of the year. It only means you have to have them about your person - not on the wheels. I would personally not drive into the mountains without chains - if I had to choose ONLY chains or ONLY winter tyres, I'd choose only chains and be prepared to put them on early.
snow conditions
Tom H wrote:
Ozboy wrote:
oui4ski wrote:

I have a booking with Alamo. It would be ideal if they supplied chains charged only if used. Keen to keep the cost down, currently £427 7 days. For a compact car. Heading to Cran Montana and unsure of the likeleyhood I will need chains. I have driven Many times to Solden without and only learned now that chains are mandatory there. Not sure if they are in CM.

Tom

Winter tyres are mandatory but not chains in CH (if you have winter). You should not need them if you have winter tyres in a normal car. Many 4x4 that are rented cannot be used with chains as per manufacturer and they are rented out only with winter tyres. Example is the Alfa Stelvio that are rented from GVA Swiss side.
snow report
Quote:

You should not need them if you have winter tyres in a normal car.

I have no idea of rules in CH but in France the police can, and do, stop any "ordinary" cars without chains, regardless of whether they have winter tyres.
latest report
@Tom H, BTW have you rented on the Swiss side?
ski holidays
ster wrote:
@oui4ski, aren’t you guaranteed of getting winter tyres from the Swiss side during the season?

Yes! Very Happy
latest report
denfinella wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

That's true. It definitely sounds like car hire is worth it for your circumstances. I was defining good value as "compared to previous seasons", rather than "compared to the current alternatives".

pam w wrote:
Quote:
A couple of years ago that [£200] would be the normal price for 8 days.

8 days rental from Geneva Swiss side in late January cost me £198 in 2020 (Budget), and £161 in 2019 (Enterprise). Size of vehicle varied, but not the smallest class. That's what I based my assertion on anyway. I don't have any records going back further than that.

We are currently in the 3 Valleys and paid £230 for 2 weeks rental (Toyota Yaris) from the French side (Europcar via Holiday Autos) last weekend. They wanted €130 for snow chains but, instead, I bought some at Geant in Albertville for €27 wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bergmeister, I think that's a fantastic price, especially for this year!
snow report
I’ve just booked a car for a couple of weeks time. I got £137 for eight days for a Corolla from Geneva French side from rentalcars.com. Similar on the Swiss side is coming in just under £300!!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 18-01-22 8:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Are the French sector building works complete yet?

I have done it a lot over the years, summer and winter, and it is possible to do the French side if:-
a) you arrive from France or
b) Know your way around the airport or
c) Enjoy a challenge and
d) Feel comfortable that you can take the non-motorways into France (otherwise buy a Swiss vignette) and
e) Realise you may not get winter tyres

I choose the Swiss side as its
a) Faster to get anywhere (France or Suisse) imo
b) Faster return ( if you are flying to UK) imo
b) You get winter tyres guaranteed in winter BUT
c) Beware car choice -- some ( notably SUVs ) are not supplied with chains
snow report
Bear in mind that it may not be a heavy snowfall that means you need chains, but the location of your accommodation. A thaw-then-freeze or sometimes just a light snowfall that's not yet cleared by the snowplough may be enough to mean that without chains, you're stranded. And the more people try and climb a steep or windy access road the more they can polish the surface. With winter tyres on, the only time I've had to use chains is getting out of our apartment's underground car park, which has a steep access road that previous driver's failed attempts had polished to a sheen. Going up on the gondola, we often see people struggling to get out of their chalet accomodation because of a steep drive - no doubt doubly stressful for them if they have a 'plane to catch.

The point about SUVs and 4x4s is germane - they're often fitted with wheels so wide that they can't take chains because they'd foul the suspension/steering/hydraulics. So in fact, you're often better off with a conventional car with winter tyres and chains in the boot.

Buying your own chains for a hire car: bear in mind that even mainstream models can be fitted with tyres that are too wide to take chains. Yes, chains will fit that tyre, but they'll damage the suspension, steering or brake lines. So you'd end up paying for not just recovery and repair, but the rental income lost while it's off the road.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 18-01-22 9:20; edited 2 times in total
latest report
I've just managed to book a cheap car on the french side with guaranteed snow tires (Avis, 28 euros/day for a long weekend).
latest report
@Agenterre, I was wondering about those works on the French side too, having not been there for several years now. Just one comment on your "pros and cons" - returning hire car to French side is a lot quicker, because you are in a car park immediately under the terminal - just up the stairs and through to the international side. You do have to know your way round the airport. The arrangements change from time to time. I did that several times, renting in summer/autumn with no risk of snow. The Swiss side drop off/pick, by contrast, is down the road - either on a shuttle bus or walk (it's not far to walk, if you are travelling light). Or it was, last time I did it - might have changed again now.

Of course winter tyres are much to be desired. I always had them, and loved them, and was amazed at what they could do. Although I was very good at dealing with chains - could put them on in a couple of minutes - it's a horrible job, much nicer not to have to bother. Taking them off can be worse and they're always filthy and won't fit back in the wee box. The majority of the hundreds of thousands of French families who drive to the ski resorts each year are in cars with ordinary tyres and chains.
ski holidays
mikeje99 wrote:

The airport code for French side is GGV which will only brings up availability on French side on rentalcars.com
ski holidays
Agenterre wrote:
Are the French sector building works complete yet?

I have done it a lot over the years, summer and winter, and it is possible to do the French side if:-
a) you arrive from France or
b) Know your way around the airport or
c) Enjoy a challenge and
d) Feel comfortable that you can take the non-motorways into France (otherwise buy a Swiss vignette) and
e) Realise you may not get winter tyres

I choose the Swiss side as its
a) Faster to get anywhere (France or Suisse) imo
b) Faster return ( if you are flying to UK) imo
b) You get winter tyres guaranteed in winter BUT
c) Beware car choice -- some ( notably SUVs ) are not supplied with chains

Great post - I’ve only used French side a couple of times but Swiss side every other week in winter. I’ve always found it difficult to make my way back to the French rental car return especially if feeling anxious and short of time due to traffic on a Sunday afternoon. I have my Swiss routine well sorted and always walk to the carpark (hand luggage normally or a roller case) - takes 4 mins in a straight line. Also find it easy to get fuel in return from the Agip just before the car park entry. I usually rent a VW Golf but I’ve been given all sorts of vehicles as “upgrades” including the Alfa Stelvio and BMW SUV that do not support chains. Never had a issue with traction. We normally drive our own U.K. estate car during our holidays fitted with Michelin CrossClimate, and now the newer version 2, and also never needed chains in Châtel and our steep road when it has snowed heavily as it did in December.
ski holidays
Deciding to go without chains on the grounds that most of the time you won't need them is perfectly rational, provided you understand the risks. Similarly, I don't routinely wear a life jacket when sailing in mild weather conditions, on the grounds that neither I, nor anyone I know personally, has ever ended up in the water. But neither do I advise others that as I've never ended up in the water, they shouldn't bother.
ski holidays
@pam w, I do have some Thule easy-fit chains in the boot of the car but never used other than practice fit.
ski holidays
Quote:

Also find it easy to get fuel in return from the Agip just before the car park entry.

The filling station just by the entrance to the French car hire return side is very easy to get to and conveneint, but if you really want to save some money then there are a couple of hypermarkets nearby that only take a couple more minutes. They may even be faster since the one by the entrance can have some queues late in the evening.
ski holidays
Rented from Europcar french side this Christmas and Christmas two years ago, both time got a car without winter tires and without swiss motorway vignette, But you could not beat the price, this Christmas paid only 242 euro for 2 weeks for hybrid Toyota corolla, used Accor hotels promo code for 20% off 45450563

In previous years rented from hertz and enterprise on the swiss side, cars are generally better, often upgrade to SUV, well maintained with winter tires and motorway vignette, at least twice the price of the french side.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 18-01-22 16:03; edited 1 time in total
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy