Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any recommendations on a European ski resort for our January 2024 trip ?

Poster: A snowHead
Requirements :

- High resort for "guaranteed snow" - PDS trip 2 weeks ago wasn't great, even in Avoriaz.
- Plenty green and easy blue slopes - for info, the alleged "blue" Cavagnes run in Avoriaz turned into the worst 2 hours of my life as I had to walk down. How that isn't a red I have no idea !!
- Resort which has ski in ski out accommodation for large group (20 people), and where catered chalets are "a thing"
- Nice to have is tree line slopes - gutted we didn't get to experience those runs in Morzine and Les Gets.

All suggestions welcome !!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well "high resort" and "tree lined slopes" are mostly incompatible requirements. You might look at somewhere like Arc1800 where according to weather you could ski above or below.

But I am afraid I have no idea where still has ski in ski out catered chalets for 20. You might be best starting with that criterion and see if there is anywhere that approximates the others.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We’re in Arc 1800 as we speak. We had last week in Tignes. We would have had a difficult last few days if we were still in Tignes. I think Arc 1800 would suit your requirements nicely.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tree lined and guaranteed snow doesn't always work. Most places in mid Jan should be fine, normally early Jan is also fine but obviously it wasn't this year. It you're looking to avoid the conditions that might happen in a freak year, then you'll need to go high. Maybe one of the higher resorts in La Plagne or Les Arcs might work - plenty of skiing, plenty of cruisy blues, enough high slopes to hopefully avoid any issues if the snowline is higher than normal, plus lots of lovely tree lined skiing.

Tried to work out which was the Cavagnes run (did you mean Covagnes? I don't remember it being particularly un-blue like). Where have you skiied before (and enjoyed)?.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

But I am afraid I have no idea where still has ski in ski out catered chalets for 20

Not that many - you will probably have to go forego at least one of your criteria. You need to put them in priority order.

I think a lot of supposedly easy (ie blue) runs were probably a lot more difficult than usual at NY thanks to too little snow and too many people. But having said that, some private lessons focussing on "get me out of here" techniques to avoid having to take your skis off and walk might be helpful. That's sometimes quite a hazardous thing to do.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As others have pointed out, high/snow sure and tree lined isn’t a thing. I think, roughly speaking, the tree line in the alps fizzles out at around 1800m, so I guess if you choose a resort that has runs from 1500-2500, you might get the best of both worlds.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="pam w"]
Quote:

I think a lot of supposedly easy (ie blue) runs were probably a lot more difficult than usual at NY thanks to too little snow and too many people. But having said that, some private lessons focussing on "get me out of here" techniques to avoid having to take your skis off and walk might be helpful. That's sometimes quite a hazardous thing to do.

Exactly this. Skied that run last week and it’s not hard at all, must be conditions as noted. The only time I ever got into trouble on skis was taking my skis off (once on ice and once in powder). Never again! Avoriaz really is a good place, you were just unlucky early season. There was loads of snow last week and much more since. I’d love to offer more suggestions but can’t answer the chalet for 20!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're still at the snow plough stage so whether you find it easy is all relative I guess. Maybe it was how busy it was leading to lots of bumps but it was absolute hell. Once i decided this was too much for me, I was too far down to walk back up so had no choice. Was tempted to feign injury a get a ski-do down but I just soldiered on.

The tree lined part is a nice to have so if its that unlikely at altitude, I'd rather have the altitude as don't want to go back to Morzine chalet and have a repeat of this year. Cervinia was mentioned as a decent place for beginners.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

We're still at the snow plough stage

One key factor for your next holiday will be somewhere with good ski schools which will get you past the snow plough stage, and perhaps finding a group that's not too big (groups of 12 are really too big - 6 is a good number).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never understood why anyone has to walk down a slope. You can, or at least should be able to, snowplough and/or side slip down anything.

Not sure there is an incomptability in that there are (large) ski areas with both tree lined and high altitude skiing.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

You can, or at least should be able to, snowplough and/or side slip down anything.

I don't agree you can snowplough down anything as a beginner (pisteurs do, with heavy casualties on a sledge, but they are a Master Race). Beginners will often just pick up too much speed, try to heave their weight onto the uphill ski, and panic. But yes, slide slipping (falling leaf style, so you can pick your spot for your snowplough turn) is a key "get out of jail" skill and one I like to practice when feeling a bit inadequate.

For this sort of reason it's best to only take beginners on slopes where their instructors have taken them, or have specifically recommended.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Tania. 3 valleys. Lots of blues and greens and trees.
Also heavy on chalets. Maybe need 2 next to each other. But worth checking out
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gavman99 wrote:
We're still at the snow plough stage so whether you find it easy is all relative I guess. .

Ahh that makes sense - the large number of french blues will have something difficult in them. It's relatively easy to get advice on the order of blues to tackle first. Maybe somewhere like Andorra (the Grandvalira area) might work - i learnt there and the blues are a lot easier than their French equivalents, and there are a lot of them. Some great ski schools with British instructors. Not sure about the chalet part though.

It sounds like you're relatively new to skiing so I wouldn't get too caught up in the whole guaranteed snow thing, and maybe focus on the timing of your trip. Generally mid-late January is a good time (even in this poor start to the season which effected Christmas and early Jan, most resorts are generally back on track now in the Alps), and if you aim for a resort at 1400 or higher (with higher slopes) then you should be pretty safe.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sbooker wrote:
We’re in Arc 1800 as we speak. We had last week in Tignes. We would have had a difficult last few days if we were still in Tignes. I think Arc 1800 would suit your requirements nicely.

Definitely.

I've a soft spot for this, having such a very benign mix of seriously good attributes for every level. You're sighted at the top edge of tree line with excellent piste in every direction and usually very decent snow cover for this time of year. I'd put this at a high level for the experience you say, and certainly measured against how Morzine is to use.

Alternative, Ste Foy as chance to stay in more chalet type accommodation directly on the slopes. Smaller area but with exemplary early skills terrain available (high and serious too but you have to specifically head for that) and lacking nothing against areas that promote ultimate kms. One of the best progression blues in the Alps to build skills, excellent ski school teaching at ESF if needed and super relaxed friendly atmosphere.
Here you'd be trading a lower lift pass cost with possible a little more leeway for accommodation to get a similar balance against a bigger area. It's got plenty to do for mixed groups in my view.

I've taken my family and larger groups to both, with very big ski skills difference.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lucywuk wrote:

Good shout for accommodation and locsl slopes, but area pass for 3V (unless you can get local only) will seriously impact costs.
ski holidays
@gavman99, Les Arcs 1800 also has direct gondola access to Arc 2000 bowl to enjoy that too if skills allow. Importantly also return to 1800 Station via that lift "Transarc" if you didn't want to ski over the higher ridge, just like using a tube train for ease of access.

The 2000 bowl also gives access to highest point of Aguille Rouge mountain (successively, gondola then cable car) with return the same. Gives great access for nervous beginners to use the whole area pass, see the big features and not worry about skiing down the parts thstt maybe are a step too far at this stage.

Its stunning up there too.
snow conditions
https://www.vallat-lodges.com/en/chalet/meribel/arpege-chalet-370

We stopped here last year, height is around 1600 so not snow sure but reasonably high, the morel lift is pretty much in you back garden and you cal ski to your back door.

Might be a bit small but I’d definitely consider if you loose a few people.

I struggled finding the exact chalet you are describing and I looked for months, if you have deep pockets there are some chalets in Courchevel that tick the boxes and the snow is much better there.
snow report
@gavman99, You could contact peak feeling https://peakfeeling-ski.com/ give them your requirements and see what they can offer.
They are a french travel agent so everything except flights can be provided.
snow report
ski3 wrote:
Lucywuk wrote:

Good shout for accommodation and locsl slopes, but area pass for 3V (unless you can get local only) will seriously impact costs.

Les Arcs ski pass is more than Courcheval alone. The Paradiski and 3 valles are similar prices
snow conditions
@gavman99, Alta Badia in the Dolomites is the only place I can think of that meets your requirements. Not that "high" but pretty snow sure.
snow report
La Plagne should tick all of your boxes
snow report
RedandWhiteFlachau wrote:
@gavman99, Alta Badia in the Dolomites is the only place I can think of that meets your requirements. Not that "high" but pretty snow sure.

A catered chalet for 20 might be an issue, esp now the Frohsinn in San Cassiano has gone over to a B&B.

Inghams used to run Chalet Hotel Al Pigher in La Villa, but I don't think that survived Covid.

Plenty of hotels with HB though.
snow conditions
Les Arcs or La Plagne are sound advice - both have height and also great tree skiing lower down if snow is not an issue. Both have chalets - although choice from tour operators are much reduced since the pandemic
ski holidays
@gavman99,
3 Valleys
Paradiski
Espace Killy
La Rosiere
Sainte Foy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy