Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Our first trip here and a change from the usual French resorts; we’re loving it for the terrain, skiing, ambience, Austrians and value. We will be back next year. Due to late booking and lack of space on the plane we weren’t able to bring our off piste skis so also left the avi gear etc at home. The OP terrain looks brilliant here and I’d like to come back for a guided week. I don't think the usual suspects SCGB or Snoworks offer anything here; can anyone direct me to any organised OP holidays?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SCGB are in Ischgl for meet ups but not organised trips

They meet at Kiwi bar in the eves, or used to pre Covid

I was there the week the resort shut down in March 2020

Have you been down Red 7? Have you done those bunch of reds off to the north side of Alp Trida served by N2 - very quiet up there. I see Val Gronda end of the resort isn't open - shame.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Red 7 is on the list tomorrow and 40. Had a fun morning earlier doing everything off N2, M1 and M2. I think Gronda is not open because of lack of snow cover for the OP served by it?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
On the rocks wrote:
Red 7 is on the list tomorrow and 40. Had a fun morning earlier doing everything off N2, M1 and M2. I think Gronda is not open because of lack of snow cover for the OP served by it?

Yes, I like those runs up there - good area especially now N2 is new.

New lift serving return on red 7 as well - used to be a short 2 man with a more convoluted return route. Easier to use it now, so not as quiet

Those were the two new lifts in 2020

I see 40 is open now and wasn't a few days ago so it's opening up. 42 not always open, I've skied it pisted and non pisted

Smugglers run? (though getting back is a pain)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bluebird day today so enjoyed 80and the double decker return. Any recommendations on blacks? I get to do a few if Ms OTR has an early finish. 4 was fun.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
On the rocks wrote:
Bluebird day today so enjoyed 80and the double decker return. Any recommendations on blacks? I get to do a few if Ms OTR has an early finish. 4 was fun.

If you like off piste skiing the marked ski routes are unpisted and generally good fun and fairly quiet.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@T Bar, thanks, yes I do but on rented GS skis this week so enjoying the pistes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On the rocks wrote:

Nice lot of blacks off the sides of Hollboden valley or whatever it's called. 14c is shut though, 14a is OK but a daft bit later in the day where it links up with 14c (not steep, just a narrow bit that's all chopped up). 14b I think was pretty easy. 20 and 21 are probably may favourites; quite short, not too steep, and constant gradient so a bit easier than the 14c which I think is supposed to be the steepest in resort. Great viewing of them off the two 6 man chairs - seem so all-the-way-down falls. Don't remember 34 and 35 - think I did them with SCGB in not great conditions but they weren't that bad even in poor light. Hadn't done any on Swiss side (barely any - Swiss side is generally a bit easier and a bit quieter and I probably prefer it).

7a I am sure used to be red - maybe it's to stop people using it as a route home. 4a is the path of the old 2 man chair - never did that. There seem to be more official ski routes on the map now and I see they are graded as well - there's a black one, 26; don't remember any except 42 when it wasn't pisted.

If the blacks are pisted, I didn't find any of them too tricky; I'm not good on bumps though, so a lot depends on what you want them to be! I am sure that there are reds in Ischgl as steep as some of the blacks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
On the rocks wrote:

If you like off piste skiing the marked ski routes are unpisted and generally good fun and fairly quiet.

I'm sure that they didn't use to be on the map...apart from 42.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
buchanan101 wrote:

Don't remember them not being on the map but it's a few years since I've been the new cable car up to Val Gronda was not built last time I was there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
On the rocks wrote:
Any recommendations on blacks? .

14c is the pick for me - so a shame to see that's reported as shut.

One of those enormous crosses at the top gives a sense that your fate is in God's hands and then as the run makes it's way down between steep rock walls you wonder if perhaps you should say a prayer.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
black 13 is my favorite, access it from the Greitspitzelift t bar. just go non stop.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27 wrote:
On the rocks wrote:
Any recommendations on blacks? .

14c is the pick for me - so a shame to see that's reported as shut.

One of those enormous crosses at the top gives a sense that your fate is in God's hands and then as the run makes it's way down between steep rock walls you wonder if perhaps you should say a prayer.

I think it's the steepest in resort?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
T Bar wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

Don't remember them not being on the map but it's a few years since I've been the new cable car up to Val Gronda was not built last time I was there.

Must be a few years. I think I first went in 2017 or 2018 and it was there.

You are correct - old maps pre Piz Val Gronda have routes on them (e.g.the one on this page) https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Austria/Ischgl_Piste_Map.html

I was correct though about the bottom part of 7; was red. I suspect they've regraded it to reduce the number of people using it as a way home
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bob wrote:
black 13 is my favorite, access it from the Greitspitzelift t bar. just go non stop.

Never did that T bar... always looked a bit cold, so never did Black 13. Liked red 13 though (which it turns in to). Very quiet, plus the red 12 branch off it.
ski holidays
Never mind all this tak of runs have - you been to Alp Bella for a chicken lunch yet? Smile
snow conditions
@Mjit, Now you're talking.
latest report
Sorry for the hijack but trying to do some thread recycling. Like the look of Ischgl but wanted to see what everyone reckons on the following.

How busy is it on piste in Janaury? Solden was really busy, Obergurgl was quiet, lech and Saalbach were busy but manageable.

My wife and I like apres but my 75yr old parents not so. Any part of Ischgl close to slopes not party central? Ie Saalbach outside of Main Street very quiet.
ski holidays
Easy peasy:-) Either find a place near to Hotel Fimba (above everything with an elevator down to town or lifts), or in either end of town. The only really noisy place in the evening, is the central part of Dorfstrasse, which can get very noisy. Anything east of Kitzloch will be quite also Happy
ski holidays
Thanks that’s really helpful
ski holidays
Yes. The apres is limited to a relatively few number of bars. There are loads of places to have a quiet drink. Try the Kiwi bar by the church for one.
snow report
Ldj226 wrote:
How busy is it on piste in Janaury? Solden was really busy, Obergurgl was quiet, lech and Saalbach were busy but manageable.

As a more adult than family resort Ischgl seems to be quite steady on skier numbers across the main season. Slopes/lifts seem really busy first thing, but that's just because everyone uplifts to the same 2 spots. Once out of the Idalp bowl everyone spreads out and most busy pistes are also very wide ones. First thing the B2/B3 chair pair will be rammed - so we usually ski past under them to Höllboden, where the C2 chair can have a queue but C3 will be empty so where we usually start our day. Everything has then calmed down by the time we've worked our way back to Idalp

Quote:
My wife and I like apres but my 75yr old parents not so. Any part of Ischgl close to slopes not party central? Ie Saalbach outside of Main Street very quiet.

To be honest even on the main drag apres noise is rarely an issue, most of it stopping at 7pm/the walking in ski boots after 8pm ban. OK you can get the odd late night reveller singing late at night but not many.

One of the best things about apres in Ischgl is how much variety there us to it. Sure the Kushtall probably won't be your parents cup of tea but the second bar next to it often has a more mature clientele, or you the the 'no music' option in Kiwi Bar, or hit the Trofanna Royal hotel bar for a roaring fire, nice wine list, and maybe a little piano accompaniment. Or go full alt. apres and hit one of the cafés for tea/coffee and cake Eh oh!

I'd just focus on distance/ease of access to the lifts (remembering there's a lift down to the travelator next to Hotel Jägerhof) and not worry about noise being an issue.
ski holidays
Concur - Was in Mayrhofen over new year - Talk about a noisy place, and that goes for all days there.

I have been spending 2-3 weeks a year in Ischgl for the past 24 years (corona year obviously not - Only got one week over new years), and both me and my four teenage daughters + wife, agree that we should just stay in Ischgl - Primarily because of the lack of noise 24/7Happy

We also go to other places in Austria, Italy and France, but everyone seems to agree that Ischgl along with Val D is the favorites.

Ischgl can get rowdy, but it is very easy to scape the noise.
ski holidays
We really enjoyed our first visit to Ischgl earlier in January and are already planning to book a week for next season but not sure when for. This January the Piz Val Gronda has been closed, apparently due to lack of OP cover. Is this usual for January or has this season been untypical? Thanks
snow conditions
On the rocks wrote:
We really enjoyed our first visit to Ischgl earlier in January and are already planning to book a week for next season but not sure when for. This January the Piz Val Gronda has been closed, apparently due to lack of OP cover. Is this usual for January or has this season been untypical? Thanks

PVG is actually very often closed - I have been in Ischgl a lot, and maybe only seen it run in 20% of the time. According to legend, they actually planned to develop the whole area in that direction, but they found a very rare plant on the backside, so they ended up stopping at the PVG.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 29-01-23 17:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Yes seems to be more closed than open. In the many occasions I've been since its been built I've only managed to get up there once.
ski holidays
We have managed PVG regulary but that has been in March
latest report
Garfield wrote:
We have managed PVG regulary but that has been in March

Make sense - I heard that because of the rare plants, they only open it when plenty of snow there, just in case that people decided to drop down the back of the mountain, where the rare plants are. Guess they are trying to preserve them.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all
latest report
good thread. considering going in april. anybody any comments how it compares to say zermatt, val-d/tignes? is the beer pricey (priority item obviously)?

TIA
latest report
Never been to Zermatt, but compared to Val D I rate them equally high.

Beer prices are quite steep for Austria, but still a steal compared to France.

Lift infrastructure in Ischgl is maybe the best in the world, and it is one of the most snowsure resorts in Europe - Especially early and late season.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 3-02-23 19:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DanishRider wrote:
Never been to Zermatt, but compared to Val D I rate the equally high.

Beer prices are quite steep for Austria, but still a steal compared to France.

Lift infrastructure in Ischgl is maybe the best in the world, and it is one of the most snowsure resorts in Europe - Especially early and late season.

Agree - I'd rank it with Saalbach for lifts and better than anywhere else I've been
ski holidays
thanks for feedback folks
snow report
Mjit wrote:
Never mind all this tak of runs have - you been to Alp Bella for a chicken lunch yet? Smile

Ooh. Are we talking half roast chicken here or what?
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Yep, half a freshly roasted rotisserie chicken/salad/bread roll.
latest report
Mjit wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Mjit wrote:

Yep, half a freshly roasted rotisserie chicken/salad/bread roll.

I’m there Very Happy Going later in March but I don’t think I’ve been to that restaurant before.
ski holidays
@VolklAttivaS5, You've missed out on a treat.
latest report
It’s in the area of reds to the left (north west?) of Alp Trida on the map. One of my favourite area for skiing. Slopes quiet there, restaurant busy.,
snow conditions
@Corky, @buchanan101, I’m not too familiar with Ischgl but when I see it I may well remember that I’ve already been! I can’t remember the chicken though and I’d remember that. Maybe they had run out.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@Corky, @buchanan101, I’m not too familiar with Ischgl but when I see it I may well remember that I’ve already been! I can’t remember the chicken though and I’d remember that. Maybe they had run out.

It’s near the bottom of 76. It’s the only restaurant in that area of runs off Alp Trida.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy