Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How convenient is La Tania for Courchevel 1850?

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all,

I'm likely to be spending a few days next Feb visiting a friend who is staying in Courchevel 1850. Not a cheap place as I'm finding out. I might get a free bed out of it but need backup options, and lowest price I can see for the 4 nights I'll be there is about £1200 in a basic hotel (hotel Courchevel Olympic). God only knows what half term pricing must be like...

Or alternatively I could get something reasonable 'down the road' in La Tania for about £500. This is one of possibly several ski trips this season so trying to be sensible with money - question is, is La Tania convenient to meet up with people staying in 1850?

The lifts all look to connect but also considering evenings out and ideally not getting gouged on taxi fares if heading back later at night...

Any expert local knowledge appreciated! Including if there are better places to stay close by.

Thanks
RC
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski wise, it's very good for 1850. We stayed there a few years ago and a couple of lifts up in the morning and an easy ski down into 1850.
Can't help you for the evenings as we headed back before the lifts shut. Courchevel La Praz may be a better option for staying or even getting a taxi from to La Tania as it's just up the road, or even Courchevel 1550 if getting to and from 1850 in the evenings is a factor?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Haven't been since pre covid but La Tania (and 1550) were my regular go-to's for years prior.

Day time skiing over is no bother at all. Two lifts (La Tania gondola and Bouc Blanc chair) and then you can ski down to 1850 croisette. 15-20 mins from lift opening. Or get your mates in 1850 to go up Chenus and meet at the top.

Apres ski isn't a huge problem you can get a bus back to La Tania from Le Praz. The telecabine down from 1850 runs till late evening.

If it's late nights out, well if you are going for a decent slap up meal, a full bender and clubbing in 1850, suspect the price of a taxi back to La Tania will be the least of your budget worries ! Toofy Grin

That said it looks like there are buses till 1.30am, in high season, according to this seasons timetable :
http://api.courchevel.com/uploads/attachments/637791bd510a2250454922.pdf

I've only ever been with kids in tow, so whilst I've done the apres ski early evening bus return a few times I've never done the late night one, nor taxi, but I'm sure someone else will fill in more detail.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Gazza, great detail. Trust me to have friends with expensive tastes (to be fair, I do as well, I just try and rein them in a bit!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@ratechaser, Courchevel 1650 / Moriond is closest by road (so taxi), followed by 1550/Village, 1300/Le Praz, then La Tania. 1550/1300 closest by ski, as both are a single gondola up / piste down (but not sure if the gondolas run in the evenings). All will be cheaper than 1850.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

(but not sure if the gondolas run in the evenings)

The Grangettes and Praz gondolas run until 23:30 in the winter
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@zaphod424,

Quote:

that is a great service and tying in with the free buses you could easily have an evening in 1850 whilst staying in La Tania. i must admit i have never stayed in either courcheval or La Tania, even though i used to work in meribel (and courcheval and LT!!!) and stay in the 3v for holidays before and after.
i have been staying in Les Menuires last few times.
imagine if the bride les bain to meribel gondola ran, even until 10ish, that would make B.L.B so more appealing than finishing circa 17:30!!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would go for it. The free bus is reliable and can get you home, just check the timetables as there are seasons within the winter season where the times vary and the last bus is much earlier.
Having lived in Courchevel for a couple of Winters, I learned that the best way to enjoy your time there is to go to different villages each night. This might depend on which restaurants you wish to visit, whether you want to go to gigs etc. 1850 is superb for high end restaurants if you can/want to spend the money, but otherwise the other villages are better imo. In 1650 (Moriond) you have a few restaurants, Le Bubble bar, Boulotte and Funky Fox for gigs, you've also go what used to be the sportsbar in Le Praz, which is the most rustic village, where the instructors tend to spend their time, which says a lot, and then La Tania too, which has a couple of good restaurants and pubs for gigs/evenings out. It's worth finding out what's on where on what night and plan accordingly.
In terms of skiing, I echo what's been said above. No issue in getting between the two and the run into LT, Folyeres, is absolutely brilliant. You're also closer to Meribel and therefore the rest of the 3 valleys
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok brilliant and thank you all - sounds like everything connects really well. I'm still holding out for a bed for free, but if that doesn't pan out, a £500 apartment in La Tania is a good compromise...

Related question as there's clearly a lot of experts here - I'm traveling alone so no issues with a train/bus transfer to save on car hire or private transfers - what good options would you recommend from/to Geneva airport? I'm flying in mid-afternoon and out around 9pm in the evening...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ben's Bus.
Drops in Meribel Village - then short cab ride

Again, depends on budget
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ratechaser, it will all depend on your travel dates/days, as you say it is only for 4 nights, so if you are travelling outside of weekends, your cheapest option would be Altibus, as they do a daily service from Geneva to 3v, but the timings could be a PITA!!!

bens bus is Saturday and Sunday only to Meribel, though to be honest you may be better to get dropped off at brides le bain as it is one of their stops, then taxi up from there. may not be a great deal of difference in cost and you will be in La Tania by the time you would have got dropped in Meribel then taxi back from there to La Tania.

you could also look into the local buses from moutiers (bens bus stops there with all their services to the 3v's) and then up to La Tania

https://www.latania.co.uk/resort/BusPDFs/2022/MoutiersBus.pdf

if the bus only stops at la praz instead of La Tania, you can then get the free shuttle bus to LT

will you be travelling out/back on the same days as your mates, if so, could you not try and cadge a lift with them on one of the legs?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
zaphod424 wrote:
Quote:

(but not sure if the gondolas run in the evenings)

We were in Le Praz this year, and I have a nagging memory that the evening lifts were on a 'social add-on' pass? Maybe I dreamed that, but we had season passes; and I'm not sure we had evening rights.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I stayed in a very nice chalet right on the edge of the Folyeres piste in mid Jan 2020. The chalet hosts did warn us that it was a bit icy at the start of our week and we couldn’t find the start of the piste for the first couple of days but once we did later in the week, we always looked forward to the run down at the end of the day. It was a great run, lots of undulations and through the trees, too Eh oh! It had benefitted from them turning on the snow cannons for a couple of nights to top up the snow coverage.

Easy to get to Courchevel and Maribel, too, as others have said.

Sadly, that chalet doesn’t look like it is offered any longer Eh oh! but would definitely go back to La Tania again
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agree, La Tania is a favourite. Lots of reasonably priced chalets and Folyeres is always a great finish to the day.

La Tania also has a great website in Latania.co.uk and Tim's La Tania snow report - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvFAmkHq5MXoBaxO8iX7uEQ
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry, I should have been more precise... flight lands about 4pm on a Friday, return flight departs about 9pm the next Tuesday...

And no, I'm popping out to see someone that is doing a looooooooong season tour of the area. Sadly I can't blag anything that good, at least until I'm totally free of children...
snow conditions
Mind you, it looks like I can hire a car for about £200 from the 'France side' of Geneva airport (didn't realise there were French and Swiss sides to the same airport!) so frankly I might just save myself any faff here and go with that
snow report
There's a lot of discussion here about renting from the French side of Gva - the arguments are not straightforward. The public transport options sound good. It's French school hols, even if not the UK half term - that's why everything is so expensive, and will be so busy.
snow conditions
@pam w, interestingly it's £100 cheaper than renting from the Swiss side so would have thought it was the obvious choice - I was just reading that you exit on a secure road that takes you to the border. If there are any obvious downsides then I'd really appreciate you pointing me to those discussions, because £230 for a small SUV class looks the best for me right now

I'd rather not be hanging around the airport for ages because the public transport schedule doesn't fit... e.g Altibus would leave me with 9 hours at GVA on the Tuesday which I'd rather spend skiing!
snow report
@ratechaser, There is a search function for the website. Type "french side" into it and read the results.
ski holidays
@rjs, oh. Blimey... 'minefield' is the word... ok going to hold fire and do some more research. I got my flight times wrong and the Altibus schedule could work on the way in, but I don't want to be leaving La Tania until 4-5pm on the Tuesday
ski holidays
@terrygasson, you could also look into the local buses from moutiers (bens bus stops there with all their services to the 3v's) and then up to La Tania

In March I took Bens bus from GVA to Val Thorens it went direct no stops.
latest report
These guys to transfers

https://www.pleisure.co.uk/transfers/
ski holidays
@spacetrucker, i took a bens bus from Les Menuires to GVA last December, and we transferred at Moutiers from the LM bus on to a different bus going to GVA, with other buses from different resorts and airports converging and doing the same thing.

assumed it was a normal itinerary, as i know they offer a stop at Moutiers on their website

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 24-11-22 21:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@russ_e, well if they really are £50 between Geneva and Courchevel then count me in, that's the cheapest I've seen by a country mile!
snow report
Went for Altibus in the end, about £150 return on a coach, which was miles and miles cheaper than anything else I could find.
ski holidays
Took Bens Bus yesterday. Advertised time of leaving GVA 10:50 , actual 11:15. Arrived in VT @ 2pm. We diverted into Moutiers to pick up a new driver. What initially looks like a bit of chaos in the airport turned into a good service. Would def use again.
snow report
Pity that Bens Bus 1) doesn't go on a Friday or Tuesday, and 2) doesn't go to Courchevel...

Otherwise I'm sure it would have been perfect for me Very Happy
latest report
Public transport options spelled out here. Personally I would take the train option (ie they're to Moutieres then the rest by taxi). Not the cheapest way, but it is the quickest.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
La Tania is a great base. Loved our stay there.
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Public transport options spelled out here. Personally I would take the train option (ie they're to Moutieres then the rest by taxi). Not the cheapest way, but it is the quickest.

The train usually involves a change of trains and then you have to swap again for the taxi. I’m not aware of any buses that go directly to la Tania, but I’d have thought a shared transfer to taxi would be quicker than a train as there are more departure time choices over all the companies.

Unless you’re travelling on a weekday of course.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy