Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stereotypes

Poster: A snowHead
I went on a ski tech course recently and a guy I spoke to who skis with the British Air force snowboard team told me of a story where a skier spat in a boarders face for 'cutting him up' Shocked I would have b**ch slapped that fool with a board to his face. This kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable. Resorts should employ people who observe mountainside etiquite and eject those who are basically aholes. Whether you board or ski there will always be one.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Edmundh009 wrote:
I would have b**ch slapped that fool .

oh have a laugh!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I pity the fool ... Something worng with my Mr. T.esque reference. As a skier I feel less hostility towards boarders as I ski more. I think with alot of skiers you get a great deal of pomposity. you know the rich skiers who go once a year to St.Moritz and feel they are too good for lessons.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sambmx, very smart, doing an A-level that involves working on something, presumably, you love doing.

When Boarding first started it was a poorly understood in terms of technique and equipment, it was very much a jfdi school of learning and this and it's counter culture image, attracted a very young and often reckless following. The scariest thing on skis was to hear that harsh scrape behind you as some out of control Boarder was about to take you out. There was also a counter-intuitive snobbery. Look at those dorky skiers, they're not cool like us . . .

And of the flip side skiers with their nice, controlled 'pastime' looked down on Boarders as dangerous, ignorant bums. They just didn't appreciate how physical learning to Board is, how much it hurts and how imprecise you are in terms of where you put yourself on the slope and, god forbid, a cross mountain trail. And the fact half your turns are made towards a direction you can't see fully, unless you're that girl from The Omen.

However, as it progressed and due to the experimental, no barriers school of thought, it revolutionised skiing and only for the better really. The gear got much better because snowboarders need more flexibility, better breathability and tougher clothing as, when learning, you spend half your time with your chin in the snow and it's much, much more physical. And probably the biggest change it influenced was in ski design and tricks. Personally I'm not a huge fan of gymnastics with skis on but it is very, very impressive what people can do on skis now and it didn't originate with but it went through a step change due to, Boarding. How long before anyone on skis would have tried a rail if it wasn't for Snowboarding. Ski design it's just a different world now and basically we've got Boarding to thank for that. It would be really interesting to try and ski off-piste on old style long and thin skis. Humiliating would probably be another word and less fun would be another (two).

The technique for snowboarding is now much better understood, although it's still very much a jfdi learning experience after a couple of days lessons. It's much more intuitive than skiing but, whatever anyone tries to argue, because they resent the implied superiority, sking is a much more technically demanding sport. Boarders can go off-piste after a couple of weeks and look bloody good, try that on skis. Really, if you don't believe skiing is technically more challenging, try skiing backward after a week say, or going off-piste after 5 weeks.

Skiing and Boarding is a bit like rugby league and rugby union. They share a lot of the same skills and if you're good at one, you'd probably be good at the other but maybe not as good and that is often what decides a preference. In the early days a lot of people who switched to Boarding were 'failed' skiers. They could ski OK but Boarding was more natural and gave them the opportunity to go where their skiing never would of. You'll always get the banter between the two but until you've tried both, any comments you make will automatically be biased to what you do. I've done both and I prefer skiing, because I'm better at it and because I find the bindings on, bindings off, for lifts and/or flat bits fobbed me off. I have an old injury that makes this quite a big factor, otherwise I'd of Boarded a lot more, definitely. There's much more 'serenity' to a good turn on a snowboard.

There's guy who writes for The Times, called Doug Sawyer or something like that, he forecast that snowboarding was a fad that would fizzle out and die. How wrong was he. That and some of his other views would make a good quote for your work if you can dig it up.

There was a picture posted on this site recently of a big powder bowl. There were some nice neat, harmonised 'aesthetic' ski tracks and a bunch of all over the place boarder ones. There was the inevitably debate about the merits. I'm on the 'Boarder's side' on that one.

Ultimately I'd say that Boarding was the best thing that ever happened to skiing, for the equipment and for the try-it attitude. My 'ski' buddies are more Boarders than Skiers now and that's fine. It's the person on the equipment and not what the equipment is that matters.

I like that last sentence, sounds deep and profound.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nickski, Great post Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowangel. wrote:

In my experience you see a school of skiiers all following each other in a massive snake taking up the whole piste so no one can pass, who then stop and block the whole piste!!!!!!!!!! I mean i ask you.

Yes this is annoying when they go from edge to edge but I find it helps me to practice controlling my speed while I wait for a gap to open up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick_C, oh i unbderstand why instructors do it, when i take people round the mountain that are a lot slower than me i have to do it too otherwise i'm gone before they know where i am. I just do wish they'd only use 3/4 so people can get round without cutting up the snake.

Last season i had this guy who said he could snowboard well so i said if he wanted to join me he could. He was the slowest rider i've ever seen, and it meant i had to snake big time so he could see where i was. Funniest thing was that on returning to his wife and my hubby he was saying, 'i kept up with her' I just about managed to keep a straight face!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowangel., Laughing Laughing Brilliant! The annoying thing is: I always try to use only a part of the piste (of course I only have max 4 behind me), but say you go left to middle and make regular turns with the students neatly behind you - do you think that the other mountain users go middle to right? Nah! They come right through the middle of us!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

There is one thing about the skier/boarder thing though: it seems to me that boarders are not nearly so worried about getting close to others as skiers. this may be because they're often younger, or may be because a board is slower - but it does tend to frighten the skiers half to death. At least 3-4m berth would make all the difference.

Actually I think that if all boarders still did alpine carving it would be better. they face forward, they have more control of their edges ....... wink wink I think a lot of the problems we've had have been lack of understanding: for skiers the easiest thing is to go straight - one of the hardest things on a board. Skiers don't understand that a boarder turning backside CANNOT see, so they don't always allow for this - personally I hate not being able to see right around the corner, so I tend to board alpine stance on a soft board!!!

Nickski, Interesting post, but I absolutely take issue with you about boarding being more instinctive. How do you normally stand? Feet sideways on or feet forwards? How do you normally walk? feet separate or feet together? Do you actually hop sideways down the road???? No - it may be more difficult to master skiing, but if someone had 5 weeks lessons with me they'd be fine off piste - "self taught" is another matter. Actually, if conditions are suitable, my beginner skiers are off piste in the first week! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nickski, as most people have said, that was a great post, and sums up my topic, and you have given more ways of describing how boarders and skiers are the same, yet different at the same time.
I chose to the topic, as part of 'Sport and the media', and i love skiing and want to make something of a life using it, and photography, rolling eyes ha, so it just made sense to me, i was looking at the stereotypes of skiing, snowboarding, skateboarding and bmx, but it all got a bit too much, as you can imagine,so i went with skiing/boarding as there were more prominent stereotypes that i could dig stuff up on.
You have all been so helpful, i couldnt imagine such a big response to this topic, but i hate you all at the same time for giving me so much material to sort through before friday, grrrr Laughing

Thanks again
Sam
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
easiski wrote:
Masque, I agree with stevew, /the sitting in the middle of a piste just over a brow does seem to be a pretty common phenomonen! I'm sure you don't do it (and neither do I if I'm on a board), however I'm really not clear why so many do do it

It's because they are hot / tired and would like the next skier coming down the hill to spray them with snow.

They even give you a friendly wave and marks out of ten for your effort. I've only ever got a "1" so must try harder in the future. wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
easiski, I suspect we're going to have to disagree on this one, especially the 'stance' argument (argument in the debate sense). Skiing and snowboarding, to a lesser or greater degree, are controlled slides and if you were going to slide across a piece of ice how would you do it ? With virtually a snowboard stance.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB, Laughing Laughing Not sure if I'd give you one though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cathy wrote:
Not sure if I'd give you one though

cathy, Are you sure you don't want to rephrase that? Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've done both. I'm a better skier, and I ski almost exclusively now, but I agree with what Nickski says about snowboarding reinvigorating the world of snowsports in general.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Horses for courses - Bulletproof early morning groomer - skis or an alpine board, late afternoon spring "leg breaker" slush - board. Powder - take your pick just make it fat and long

Don't really agree with Easiski's view on stance - it only very occasionally I have been blindsided on a board - when first learning & that was before I'd learnt to concentrate on listening and the "lifesaver" glance. Alpine carving is a) much harder b) less accessible (very few shops stock the kit) c) requires more space to arc full turns. Now the skilled can ride an alpine set up anywhere but I think you really have to have learnt on it to maximise its potential. I've only ever concussed myself skiing/snowboarding on a alpine board- higher speeds/less easy to adapt to terrain variations.
latest report
ssnowman wrote:
I don't think there is any real anymosity anymore.

There used to be a lot of p*sstaking about clothing, eg one piece neon coloured ski-suits, & baggy grungy coloured snowboard trousers.

Depends where you go. If you spend the Winter mincing around in Meribel/Val D'isere etc, you will still find the us and them attitude - mainly due to the once-a-season ski snobs having lots to say about snowboarders, stamping on the back of boards, waiting for their mates in the middle of busy lift queues and stopping in a big crowd slap bang in the middle of the piste for no reason.

As a freeride boarder (forget Alpine that was for the 80's), I take long wide arcs using the outside edges of the piste and staying away from people in general, as I like to travel quite quickly...with regard to boarders being slower than skiers then I'm afraid thats down to poor technique or simply ability. I don't tend to struggle keeping up with the majority, on ski's or a board. Also if a boarder is "pushing snow off the mountain" then that is also down to ability and technique as good freeride boarders ride the rails of the board. The pushing snow around phenomenon is well demonstrated by snowploughing or feet jammed together old school skiers who have not realised that skis and ski-ing has changed!

As a carving skier, I take a very similar line to my boarding and also use basic mountain rules such as stopping below other groups at the side of the piste... I get so P$55ed off with morons hitting the anchors in the middle of the piste and just standing there looking gormless! Would you do that in the middle of the M25? Just a thought...

Anyway, to end this long post - IT'S NOT WHAT YOU RIDE PEOPLE - IT'S HOW YOU RIDE Happy

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 21-06-06 11:33; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Robbof, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I think you might get a prize for 'longest first post' wink
ski holidays
Hoppo wrote:

Yeah, sorry I did go off on one there a bit!!!!

Hello board! Blush
ski holidays
Robbof, definitely not a criticism...
latest report
Hoppo wrote:
Robbof, definitely not a criticism...

Good stuff, been watching this board for a while and thought it was about time I got involved Very Happy
latest report
Hoppo wrote:

And probably one of the best!
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Hoppo wrote:

And probably one of the best!

Why Thankyou Toofy Grin
snow report
Robbof wrote:

IT'S NOT WHAT YOU RIDE PEOPLE - IT'S HOW YOU RIDE Happy

Nice first post and sum'ed up really well. Cool
snow report
sambmx, clearly there is a freestyle stereotype for boarders and IMO this has been heavily reinforced by the media. Just go and buy a snowboard mag and count the number of pictures that are not tricks.

snowangel., you are right about the predudice of holiday makers. I went with Mark Warner a few years ago and was not allowed to board with the ski guiding group because of being "incompatible" with skiers.

In the local's places here I think it is just not a big deal. Teens go around in packs doing jumps of course but often mixed skiers and boarders. There are plenty of older boarders just using a snowboard as another way of getting down the piste.
latest report
nessy wrote:
sambmx, clearly there is a freestyle stereotype for boarders and IMO this has been heavily reinforced by the media. Just go and buy a snowboard mag and count the number of pictures that are not tricks.

snowangel., you are right about the predudice of holiday makers. I went with Mark Warner a few years ago and was not allowed to board with the ski guiding group because of being "incompatible" with skiers.

In the local's places here I think it is just not a big deal. Teens go around in packs doing jumps of course but often mixed skiers and boarders. There are plenty of older boarders just using a snowboard as another way of getting down the piste.

Morning Guys/Girls,

I agree on the stereotyping. I think people think I spend my winters covered in Camo gear, trousers hanging around my ankles wearing a deer-stalker hat, ordering pints with my Gogs on etc etc.. I style myself how I want too and it includes none of the above, I ride how I like when I like and also get to meet the "Freestyle Crew" on my travels. Many a time I have received sneering looks as I am strapping my board on/clipping into my ski's from some ape-like boarder with an attitude....The fun part is then overtaking them backwards after giving them a 250 metre headstart as they usually cannot ride very well due to spending more time on the "look" as opposed to putting the work in to technique!!

Makes me laugh Razz
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy