Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anything like UCPA for old folk?

Poster: A snowHead
We stayed in UCPA a few years back and was fine for a long weekend, but sadly now too old for their upper age limit! Looking to do a long weekend in March with a couple of mates and was wondering if there were similar options out there to keep the cost down?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Dashed, I have heard that the upper limit is a little flexible ... ? Get yourselves to a refuge? E.g. http://www.grandehalte.it/en/hut/prices (I don't know what you necessarily mean by "keep the cost down", I mean, it's skiing ...)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
£500 for a long weekend full board including lift pass at UCPA was a pretty good way of a “relatively” cheap weekend Happy

Will enquire about flexibility on upper age!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A rabbit hutch and cooking for yourselves wouldn't be too pricey, but of course the unit cost would be a lot less if you went for a week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Email Action Outdoors/UCPA UK. There is definitely some wiggle room on the age limits.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I asked this question last year. I emailed Action Outdoors as had been suggested, but they were clear in saying they couldn't be flexible on the age limit.

I have now stayed at UCPA centres quite a few times and I don't recall ever having to show any ID that would identify my age...so you could in theory just put a different DoB down when you book and take the chance they won't check when you check in.

I also recall seeing people who were clearly quite a bit over 40 when I've been in the centres, so you could try booking directly with UCPA in France rather than Action Outdoors? Perhaps they are more flexible than Action Outdoors are able to be.

I'm at one of the centres again in a few weeks and I'm going to do my best to take note of whether they check any ID at check in.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I am over 15 years past the age limit and I am still using UCPAs! Phone Action Outdoors and discuss it, some of the off-piste courses have a 55 year old limit anyway and they have over-age weeks too. I was told that if you were a regular UCPA user, proper skier and knew the drill then it was not a drama at all, they just do not want a load of middle aged Brits used to Chalets in Merihell whining about things.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I just idly looked at the ucpa.com site - plenty of alpine ski options if you put in age 55. How old are you? I didn't dare try my age. Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My son in law had done UCPA ice climbing in Chamonix before meeting my daughter. They did a Flaine UCPA together (fine, except for nightmare coach journey out when one driver did a runner from the Eurotunnel queue) and more recently a very successful family week in La Plagne. But I've left it too late. wink

There's definitely a market for no frills accommodation - but the "market" seems to be going for constant "refurbishment" and reviews complaining that the decor "is a little dated". rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a look on at a couple of centres and maximum age for accommodation was 45! We definitely didn't stand out when were there a few years back as being the oldies (must have been just below the age limit then).

Issue potentially resolved itself for now as we're using a friend's place to keep the cost down even further Very Happy

Oh, and on the ID / age check thing, I'm pretty sure we had to show passports when checking in at the Agentiere one but it is a few years back so might be wrong. I've no idea if they checked DOB or if it was just an ID thing though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Swiss youth hostels. The ones in Laax and Saas Fee have incredible spas and the food is good. The one in St Moritz offers day lift passes for 45chf
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Dashed, see this page on action outdoors
http://help.action-outdoors.co.uk/en/articles/3008654-under-18s-and-over-45s

Some centers go up to age 55 now.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for AO being flexible... Give them a call. I've done a few trips despite being over age.... But their core thing is 'young people'...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

But their core thing is 'young people'...

I felt a bit bad at Argentiere in Jan, I'm mid-late thirties now and it seemed my age group was the most common rather than early or even late twenties.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks all - really helpful!
ski holidays
I'm wondering what it is about me that made Action Outdoors give me a very definite "No" to my question of whether they could stretch the age limit, as it seems plenty of others have had success! That's hopefully good news for me, because I'm due to hit that age limit a few years before the other people I usually stay there with.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy