Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Got the bug - where to next?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Went on our first ski holiday in 20+ years at Christmas to La Rosiere in the Tarantaise, and loved it.
Unfortunately work prevents me from going any time from Jan to April (not great!) so seeking ideas on where to go December 2023 - looking at the week before Christmas so approx. 16th to 23rd December.
Additional criteria:
- Europe but not France (we'd like to try somewhere different)
- Plenty of blue runs for us brittle wrinklies
- If not ski-in/ski-out then at close as possible

Currently considering Obertauern in Austria for being a good bet snow wise, though I also love the look of the Dolomites for the scenic factor. We prefer to book our own flights, accommodation and car hire for transfers, and we won't be looking for lessons/tuition so less obvious ideas are welcome.
Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This early in the season is always a bit difficult.
May be little or no snow in some areas ,might be stormy with plenty of snow.
Accommodation is seldom a problem pre Christmas.
Personally I would book flights to somewhere centralish like Innsbruck or Zurich and wait and see where the snow falls much closer to the dates.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At that time of year, you have to aim high if you want as good as chance as possible as getting good snow. The only issue with going high is that in bad weather, it can be pretty bleak as there is little to no shelter/tree skiing. But on a blue bird day......then wow.

So, if you are ruling out France then a few other options.

Obertauern as you have already mentioned but also Obergurgl which I'd be slight more inclined for. It's pretty much ski in/out and has a good selection of hotels.
Livingo in Italy is pretty snowsure and has plenty of blues and reds to cruise about on but would not have many, if any ski in/out places. But has excellent food options. It's a bit of a transfer to get there though.
The Dolomites are a different level of beautiful. However you have to be prepared to be skiing on man made slopes through fields. They have excellent snowmaking, but early season can be hit or miss. However, the food, views, people and off piste activities there make up for it. And there are so many resorts to choose from you are spoilt for choice. You could base yourself somewhere on the Sella Ronda (I've think the Alta Badia would be perfect) or head for somewhere like Madonna or Cortina.
You could look at either Zermatt (lovely, but you are paying Swiss prices) or Cervinia as well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Halitosis, you won't need ski in and out in Austria with wheels, big carparks(mostly free)at the lift stations.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Accommodation is seldom a problem pre Christmas.
Personally I would book flights to somewhere centralish like Innsbruck or Zurich and wait and see where the snow falls much closer to the dates

This is good advice
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cervina seems to tick the box. Plenty of blue runs, and I don't recall the reds being tricky. I have only visited by the day - so can't comment on accommodation personally, but a quick google leads to ski in ski out places being available.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lech, You wont need a car.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't book anything. Wait until the week before. You'll have the conditions and the forecast. If you're of a nervous disposition, your sphinx will be twitching like a rabbit's nose but keep your cool.

Using that philosophy I've skied PdS, Val Gardena, Solden, Sierra Nevada and Val Gardena another twice in recent years in brilliant conditions. There's direct Edinburgh Verona flights, skoosh on public transport to Val Gardena.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some wise advise many thanks all. I'm all for waiting until the last minute - just have to see if the rest of the group are willing to test their sphincters.
@sean1967, not sure how you knew my pet name for Mrs H Laughing

So far it appears the first direct flights to Innsbruck and Salzberg will be Sat 23rd, which is one week later than we hope to go Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ischgl opens at the end of November and has reliable early season snow, though December can be stormy. Better than Obertauern which can be rather bleak, Obergurgl is fairly small. Innsbruck is the ideal airport (look at KLM via Amsterdam, they fly from even tiny UK airports like Humberside) but Zürich is OK too (train to Landeck then taxi)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Halitosis, where are you flying from? We had family here from mid-December who flew into Salzburg. They flew out of Gatwick and I know there were Luton options too. It’s possible that the dates for December 2023 haven’t all been released yet. Given that many resorts open in early - mid December, I’d be amazed if there are no earlier flights.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Halitosis wrote:
Some wise advise many thanks all. I'm all for waiting until the last minute - just have to see if the rest of the group are willing to test their sphincters.
@sean1967, not sure how you knew my pet name for Mrs H Laughing

So far it appears the first direct flights to Innsbruck and Salzberg will be Sat 23rd, which is one week later than we hope to go Shocked

BA often offer decent prices to Innsbruck via Heathrow. Ryanair got to Verona and Treviso too.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Halitosis,
I'm flying to Innsbruck this year on a non direct flight, but your right in the Alps so the drive time is likely to be less. We are off to the Dolomites but you're in a pretty good position for Ischgl, Hintertux etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy