Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best restaurants and bars in the alps

Poster: A snowHead
@Ryunis,
Quote:

Christ I need a ski trip!

me too, i have to wait until easter when i visit VT with my teenage daughters and a friend and his teenage boys, am looking forward to taking them to the frog and roastbeef!!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any good recommendations for Alpe D'Huez?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Strong 3Vs representation. Second/third the recommendations of Le Pub Ski Lodge in La Tania and Bistro du Praz in La Praz (where we scored *two* bottles of Rayas CdP (a 2009 *and* a 2006 Shocked ) last night. The real gem though is Le Montagnard in St Martin, have probably been there more often than any other restaurant outside the UK. Le Monchu in Méribel (Rhodos top station) is another perineal fave in our book. Also recently discovered 1928 at the top of Col de la Loze who are doing seriously interesting things.

Outside the 3Vs, I have a soft spot for the Magrappé in Veysonnaz in the 4Vs (Verbier). Ate there five consecutive nights last year.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dyrlac wrote:
Outside the 3Vs, I have a soft spot for the Magrappé in Veysonnaz in the 4Vs (Verbier). Ate there five consecutive nights last year.

It has nice rooms too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ryunis, ....nope there's only one....

Chetzeron

https://chetzeron.ch
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
entirely subjective papp......however:

Firstly, Danoise in Rosiere hasn't been Danoise for years - it has been Le Comptoire for about the last 10 - so I d take that post with a pinch of salt

I agree about Le Ski Lodge in La Tania - managed to lose the best part of my last day last year cos of a heavy night at that place - great band too - crowd surfing the lot - great fun.

Personally, I have a softspot for Free Ride Bar in Alpe d'Huez when the stock exchange system on drinks kicks in and they have a good dj in there and it is shot nuts and a nice space and a slide to the toilet.

France has more than caught up with Austria for apres - and no oompah or crappy german europop.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm surprised there is no mention of the Nederhutte in Obergurgl here. Great bar on the slope with a live band that play decent rock music most days of the week.

Lots of good bars in St Anton of course, something for most peoples taste. Moose/KK are the most famous but the Murrmel down in town is good especially when Gunar is playing there, he always packs the place out. Then there is the Heustadtl, Griabli, Sennehutte, and for somewhere quieter the smallest bar in town, pub 37. There are too many places to mention really. And of course the now closed, underground that was run by Joan the infamous Austrialian.

Ischgl has a load of great bars too, it's many years since I went so some of the names have changed, but the ones I remember were Nickis Stadl, the Kuhstall, Feuer and Ice, and the bar underneath Hotel Madlein before it became the Pascha nightclub.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Some of the Austrian bars that we've had great times in over the years are not necessarily the big names.

HexenKessl near Tux
Cin Cin - Gerlos
Postalm - Kaltenbach
Kristallhütte - Kaltenbach
George's - Serfaus
Gruberstadl - Obertauern
Platzhirch - Schladming
Hannes Alm - Konigsleiten
Yeti Bar - Hoarberg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yellow Snow wrote:

France has more than caught up with Austria for apres - and no oompah or crappy german europop.

Sacrilege wink - there are lots of fans of the german/austrian genre of apres-ski europop on this site, myself included.

May I refer you to a previous topic, to educate yourself on the finer points of the apres-ski song:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3539994
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cacciatore wrote:
terrygasson wrote:

miky's bar, Livigno. had a slide you could use to get into the bar, next to the staircase, it could get messy at the bottom if you had a few beers beforehand Laughing Laughing

I very nearly mentioned this place in the earlier post. Great fun….but with a little uncontrolled speed after a few beers, I seem to recall the beginning of the bar wasn’t so very far away Laughing

didnt they also then put and american football helmet on you and shake you had and hit it with a baseball bat........obv playfully

sure it was the same place
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not much mention of Les Arc on here. The Ancolie in Peisey-Nancroix and La Ferme in Le Pre Villaroger are worth the effort to get there. Just for eating, not head banging!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Cacciatore wrote:
terrygasson wrote:

miky's bar, Livigno. had a slide you could use to get into the bar, next to the staircase, it could get messy at the bottom if you had a few beers beforehand

I very nearly mentioned this place in the earlier post. Great fun….but with a little uncontrolled speed after a few beers, I seem to recall the beginning of the bar wasn’t so very far away

didnt they also then put and american football helmet on you and shake you had and hit it with a baseball bat........obv playfully

@stefoy4me,

i cant say i remember that happening, but it would certainly explain a lot of my decision making since Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Restaurant Albert 1er in Chamonix does it for me.
https://www.hameaualbert.fr/fr/restaurant

As for bars, the bar/lounge in Hotel B1izzard (VdIsere) is sumptuous. https://hotelblizzard.com/fr/restaurants-bar
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@crosbie,
Quote:

Restaurant Albert 1er in Chamonix does it for me.
https://www.hameaualbert.fr/fr/restaurant

Me too, though I preferred it 30 years ago!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, my sister in law would have been clearing your plates.
ski holidays
@under a new name, Very Happy
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:
Quote:

Cacciatore wrote:
terrygasson wrote:

miky's bar, Livigno. had a slide you could use to get into the bar, next to the staircase, it could get messy at the bottom if you had a few beers beforehand

I very nearly mentioned this place in the earlier post. Great fun….but with a little uncontrolled speed after a few beers, I seem to recall the beginning of the bar wasn’t so very far away

@stefoy4me,

i cant say i remember that happening, but it would certainly explain a lot of my decision making since Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Not sure I remember that either….though in those days, quite a lot of Apres adventures are, how shall I say….vague? Skullie Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
Most of my partying was back in the 90's:

Sauze d'oulx Andy Capp was great immediately after skiing. Then of course Sauze Osteria (Gi Gi's). Sauze is dead in comparison now.

Il Poste in Corvara
ski holidays
If it's restaurants, Le Sapin (possibly the world's best steaks at a sensible price) & l'Essentiale d'Andreone (creative, somewhat fish oriented - Andrea owns the local fishing lake) in Champoluc ...

And if you can get in, "Mumma" in Chamonix, Swedish-Asian fusion, definitely creative.
snow report
peter w wrote:
Not much mention of Les Arc on here. The Ancolie in Peisey-Nancroix and La Ferme in Le Pre Villaroger are worth the effort to get there. Just for eating, not head banging!

Fair point, Arpette deserves a mention - had a few laughs in there
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
Me too, though I preferred it 30 years ago!

Oh dear. Has it gone down hill?

I stayed a week in the hotel there in 1998, and enjoyed H/B dinner every night in the restaurant. I loved the cheese trolley where most cheeses were gloopy and served with spoons.
ski holidays
terrygasson wrote:

there was also an apres bar/nightclub in a hotel in breckenridge, but it was 30years ago and i cannot remember its name now, it was generally populated by brits holidaying in resort as the 'mericans didn't tend to go out of an evening (my experience for that fortnight anyway).
we were there that often, that we got to know the courtesy drivers which were supposed to be for the hotel guests only, and they would give me and my mate a lift back to our apartment in the early hours after the club closed, they also used to have complimentary beer in the minivans Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

weds nights were 1 dollar a bottle instead of usual 5 dollars, needles to say it was rammed with 'mericans

!

Tiffany's up in Beaver Run by Peak 9? Best enjoyed after a tray of 25c happy hour beers ( tiny) at the Gold Pan Saloon?

Ah the follies of youth.

Best ever night out I remember was on a very late booking bargain holiday with my Bro to Lake Louise. On arrival to fight off jetlag we demolish a reasonable amount of duty free vodka and go for a steak. Then we ask where there might be a lively bar and are directled to the Chateau. Resident's bar is predictably dire but we blag our way into the staff bar/ nighclub in some basement and have a great night ending up hitching back in the back of a pick up in a sub zero snowstorm.
snow report
@crosbie, it's just MUCH fancier. In the old days it was a family-run hotel and felt like it, just with fabulous food, including the cheese trolley. I'm not so keen on chi-chi places.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
@crosbie, it's just MUCH fancier. In the old days it was a family-run hotel and felt like it, just with fabulous food, including the cheese trolley. I'm not so keen on chi-chi places.

Yeah, last time I checked, it seemed to have removed any possibility of patronage by the 'less than well heeled'.

The half-board option was a bloody good deal on hindsight.
latest report
@crosbie,
Quote:

The half-board option was a bloody good deal on hindsight.

It was indeed!
ski holidays
Le Rastro in the 90s early 2000s

How I never broke my neck climbing down the ladder from one of the raised tables mullered and still wearing ski boots I'll never know
snow conditions
Good thread - but my memory is terrible with place names.

I always head for the bar with the live music.

I have just walked (well 12 hours ago) in from a weekend in Soll - I stayed at the Moonlight Bar, right next to the main Gondola. Live music, packed, Umpah, great food. From having various conversations, it seems that its the last one in Soll. Hexenwasser next door is really quiet and the Whiskey Mule in the Village has died a death - seems like Soll has lost its Apres Ski!

Other bars that I have a good time in, and try not to repeat the stuff above, other than KK -

KK in St Anton (never went in the Moose).

There used to be a really small one in Borovets that we loved called the Monastry - great because it could hold about 20 and there were 13 of us.

In Sauze there was a great one with live music - Derby Bar rings a bell

Londoner in Kitz

Serre Che - La Grotte - had a great night in there watching the resident Punk Band - old guys, main man had some punk pedigree that I cant remember and then the night after we watched Muntfinger (muntfinger.com) in there - really good
snow report
@Gaz_H,
Quote:

I always head for the bar without any music.
Fixed it for you. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
little shout for 1580 great food and homebrews and St Germain wine bar both in Ste Foy station......

and Brevettes up on the hill......to die for Thai Prawn Ravioli.
ski holidays
kezzy19661 wrote:

Il Poste in Corvara

Was that where the Tea Dance was held? I attended a them a few times, a very messy start to an evening IIRC Toofy Grin
snow conditions
JohnS4 wrote:
Yellow Snow wrote:

Sacrilege wink - there are lots of fans of the german/austrian genre of apres-ski europop on this site, myself included.

May I refer you to a previous topic, to educate yourself on the finer points of the apres-ski song:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3539994

It is more insulting to music that people listen to that dross
snow conditions
La Cabane des Neiges - Arc 1800
ski holidays
I just booked accommodation for our next trip to St Anton at the beginning of March, in one of the apartments above the Murrmel bar.

I always thought it might be an interesting place to stay but I was amused by the description on all the first floor apartments which says 'for night owls - not suggested for families with small children or dogs' and 'please mind that this apartment is directly above the Murrmel bar and club, this means that it is loud in this apartment until late in the night'.

At least it's honest advertising, but strangely both these apartments were booked so I had to make do with a quieter one on the 2nd floor ! Must be a lot of party animals staying there I guess Happy.

We usually spend quite a bit of time in this bar anyway so it will be a nice short walk upstairs to get back to our room after we've been out.
ski holidays
Auberge Bonjournal - Combloux
Rifugio Clot Bourget - Sauze d'Oulx
La Ferme des Pistes - Chatel
Schnitzelhutte - Zell am Ziller
snow conditions
ETA:those are all obviously restaurants, on my personal list for serving delicious mountain food at mostly reasonable prices
ski holidays
belette wrote:
Rifugio Clot Bourget - Sauze d'Oulx

I think we’ll add to the list to try in March. It’ll be our fifth trip to Sauze but not stopped here before, the reviews look good. We typically stop at least once at Orso Bianco and Ciao Pais, this looks like a very nice lunch spot.
snow report
Yes, excellent lunch spot! Pizzas, pastas and main courses all bang on, cooked from scratch and very reasonably priced (most things sizeable and around 10-12 euro). Great hot chocolates with cream, 4 euros. Aperol spritz 5 euro. Lovely beers and wines and I think they have a happy hour too. Absolutely recommended!
latest report
belette wrote:
Yes, excellent lunch spot! Pizzas, pastas and main courses all bang on, cooked from scratch and very reasonably priced (most things sizeable and around 10-12 euro). Great hot chocolates with cream, 4 euros. Aperol spritz 5 euro. Lovely beers and wines and I think they have a happy hour too. Absolutely recommended!

I’ve read that the bombardinos are good and cheap too! So it’s definitely in the list.
snow conditions
Cacciatore wrote:
under a new name wrote:
@halfhandAlthough I like dive bars.

The Yeti Bar (no longer, sadly) in Chantemerle, Serre Che fitted nicely into that category. Back in the day, was one of my favourites.

Absolutely this.
snow conditions
Post deleted.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 19-01-23 18:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy