Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grandvalira - Grau Roig to Pas / snow conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks, we are due to arrive in Grandvalira on 21 Jan. Looking at weather forecast, it doesn't look to promising. Snow cover looks poor too with just 35cm of snow in upper parts. Anyone in Grandvalira at the minute that could advise of what current skiing conditions really are?
We are staying near Grau Roig in Borders D'Elaviara. What's the best way to ski back down to Grau Roig at the end of the day? There are early intermediates in my group - they can ski all blues and some reds quite comfortably. Also, is there any other way down to Pas Dela Casa that bypasses Directa I/II? We were in Soldeu last year and decided to go to Pas for a day and Directa proved too much of a challenge for 2 skiers from my group Eh oh! .
Mamy thanks for all your help!
Luke
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was there over New-year and it was getting pretty dire. Don't think there's been much snow since.

Directa1 (red?) was icy as hell at the top (and blowing a hoolie) with only the left hand entrance open. That made it busy and dangerous. The slope above from the lift was a gravel trap with mud areas so needed great care.

Directa2 (back?) was better. Hard pack but quieter though the bottom section into town was sketchy (brown moguls).

The blue along the ridge past directa2 that loops all the,way around by the pass was open and would be an easier option but that week, was very narrow was mud, ice and slush. Wouldn't be surprised if they've closed it.

(appols if I've got the runs mixed up/wrong)

Try this thread for more info...
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161605
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Adidasdub, what is open is fine. There were a few runs at the weekend that were a bit ropey but these tended to be ones specifically kept open to link the different sectors. It’s snowed a bit since then with cold temps and some snow forecast next week. If that all comes, your week out here from 21st should be cracking.

Directa I is carnage at the best of times. I usually stay over towards the right. It’s steeper but most people avoid that side so the snow is usually better. Over on the left there are arms, legs and bodies flailing about all over the place! To avoid it you need to take Antenes chair from Grau Roig and then take the blue called pista port down to Pas. That piste isn’t open at the moment though (as predicted by adithorp). Hopefully it will be by the time you arrive. To return take Solana chair and then go onto Costa Rodona chair. You can take the blue run called pastora back to Grau. Unfortunately, pastora isn’t open yet either!

An alternative to get to Pas is to take a red run called Llac. It starts at the same place as Directa, but it’s not as steep or as scraped, but it is narrower.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hammerite, many thanks for this. It's good to know that there is another red slope option down to Pas. The two nervous intermediates can negotiate steepish and narrow much better than very steep and wide. Hopefully the blues down to Pas and Grau will reopen in 10 days. Been coming to Andorra for years now and 3rd werk of Jan was always a safe bet :/ The only hope is that most major dumps of snow I've witnessed in Grandvalira were unexpected and it takes a day of proper snowfall to make a massive difference.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Adidasdub, I live here and there’s been no massive dump here yet this season. Just flurries here and there. There’s snow between the pistes but it’s very thin. The snow making has made the difference and it’s not been cold enough for much of that this season. That said, everything open still has pretty reasonable piste skiing. We need a decent dump with no high winds as that just seems to blow any new snow away from more exposed areas.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@hammerite, had a quick look at Arinsal /Pal and most their runs are open. We have a car for the week so may travel around if needs be. From memory, most of their runs are blue and easy reds. Our 6 day liftpass includes both Grandvalira and Arinsal / Pal. Had a look at AccuWeather and no major snow til mid February is forecast. Let's hope it changes very soon Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Adidasdub, yes, most of Pal/Arinsal is open and the conditions seem to be better than Grandvalira. At least they were last week and it seems to have snowed a bit more there too. It’s also usually a bit quieter. It sounds a perfect place for your mix of group.

If you have a car, definitely make the trip to Arcalìs too. Best snow conditions in Andorra and will probably be very, very quiet the week you are here.

Look at some different forecasts. Some are showing reasonable snow for next week.

https://www.yr.no/nb/v%C3%A6rvarsel/daglig-tabell/2-3038999/Andorra/Canillo/Soldeu
https://www.meteoblue.com/es/tiempo/semana/soldeu_mundo_3038999
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This looks great! Hopefully it won't change Smile Thanks so much for your help!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adidasdub wrote:
This looks great! Hopefully it won't change Smile Thanks so much for your help!!!

The updated forecast today is looking even better!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hammerite wrote:
Adidasdub wrote:

The updated forecast today is looking even better!

Wow, that Meteoblue link is currently predicting up to 30cm on Sun & Mon and 50+cm on both Tues and Wed. You're going to need a shovel to dig yourself out!! snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Fingers crossed that forecast comes true! A group of us are heading out on the 29th of Jan and would like to see a bit more snow
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Good skiing at Arcalis today.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy