Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Skiing Base for Dolomiti Superski or Other recommended resort ?

Poster: A snowHead
@Jimbo94, just back from the area, the slopes in val Gardena were by far the busiest, even the ones out of the sella ronda. Alta badia and val di fassa were much quieter , didn’t go to arabba this time around. Our hotel was in the middle of nowhere but we had an excellent shuttle service so no problem to go or come back,
don’t exclude a good hotel just because is not close to the slopes.

Next year we will most probably return to Alta badia rather than val Gardena , it is far more enjoyable to ski with nearly empty slopes. Good luck with your research.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yeah i know its picky but i really just want the ski in ski out, I’ve never done it, even though sometimes the cable car is 10m away, the feeling of just putting your skis on at the door and pushing off has something relaxing about it, + not having to see anyone or be in a group of people first thing in the morning Smile

Great advice though re val gardena, I was quite sure it would be the busiest, when were you there ? I chose from the 25th of Feb onwards since before that is mid term and carnival holidays which is the worst (In Feb), although January is supposed to be much quieter unless you were there before the 7th ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was in s. Cristina from the 7th to 14th of Jan With a TO package. Just to give you an idea last year we took the gondola in Ortisei and walked straight into the funicular for the seceda runs, this year we had to wait for two or three funiculars, it is still a short wait but it was a lot busier than last year. Alta badia was emptier and the slopes less spoiled.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helpful update thank you Smile

I guess because so many places had bad snow this season many people flocked to the dolomites, since they were spared most of the rain

I was in Madonna Di Campiglio before Christmas and conditions were pretty good - would have been shite actually, but there was a 70cm dump the night before we arrived and was still coming down lightly on our day of arrival

After that alot of resorts suffered from rain which washed what little snow there was away Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jimbo94 wrote:
100% agree

That is what i was thinking, so maybe Colfosco is the best option after all Smile

@jimbo94

https://www.luianta.it/

https://www.booking.com/hotel/it/luianta.en-gb.html?aid=303948&label=colfosco-z1gbZGswdrOVAZnLTWDYwAS151877882576%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atikwd-638157348%3Alp1007460%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm%3Appccp%3DUmFuZG9tSVYkc2RlIyh9Yf5EcukO1MOGLSSAuId8ToA&sid=93bb55750a88fc0090cb5936473f5a2d&checkin=2023-02-04;checkout=2023-02-11;dest_id=419602;dest_type=hotel;dist=0;group_adults=2;group_children=0;hapos=1;hpos=1;no_rooms=1;req_adults=2;req_children=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;soh=1;sr_order=popularity;srepoch=1673816757;srpvid=cd319459fa0d015d;type=total;ucfs=1&#map_closed

This might suit. At the top end of Colfosco, directly at the end of a chairlift with a short ski down to the main Sella Ronda Gondola. Havn't actually stayed there but have had many lunches their whilst staying / skiing in Colfosco
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Scrunch77, what did you mean by this exactly please ?

If you attempt the Gardena Ronda from Colfosco, it’s probably better to go clockwise because it gets the Monte Pana - Saltria bus out of the way early and if you’re running short of time you can always jump on the bus from Ortisei to Selva (rather than walk and take the gondola to Seceda, and ski via Santa Cristina), though the anti-clockwise route offers superior skiing, in my opinion.

I thought I didn’t need to get any buses and everything was linked by skis and lifts ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nahdendee, cheers sent them a request Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Jimbo94, there are various tours you can do that include bits by bus. The most famous is the Great War/Grand Guerre tour which is about 80kms. Scrunch is talking about the Val Ronda which has been discussed extensively in another thread, which has been going through the last week.

https://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162766
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ah yes I see ok, just looked that up Smile

Also my friend keeps saying that you can get to Hidden Valley Lagazuoi without taking a taxi or a bus, but I believe everytime its come up on this thread theres been mention of a taxi..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jimbo94 wrote:
@Scrunch77, what did you mean by this exactly please ?

If you attempt the Gardena Ronda from Colfosco, it’s probably better to go clockwise because it gets the Monte Pana - Saltria bus out of the way early and if you’re running short of time you can always jump on the bus from Ortisei to Selva (rather than walk and take the gondola to Seceda, and ski via Santa Cristina), though the anti-clockwise route offers superior skiing, in my opinion.

I thought I didn’t need to get any buses and everything was linked by skis and lifts ?

The Val Gardena Ronda involves a novel bus ride along a snowy forest track (with snow chains) between Monte Pana and Saltria, which runs to a timetable that is not particularly frequent, plus a walk across Ortisei, so it’s certainly not for everyone. I prefer to ski it anti-clockwise as I feel the runs are better in that direction, however that means you tackle the bus later in the day and as the buses aren’t frequent it can be a bit stressful if you start worrying whether you’ll make it round in time. For those of a more nervous disposition, the clockwise route might be better as you get the bus out of the way early and if you begin to have doubts about completing the circuit in time, then when you reach Ortisei you can jump on a bus to Selva instead of walking to the Seceda gondola and riding the gondola and cable car to Seceda and skiing via Santa Cristina.

As @what…snow has pointed out, the circuit has been discussed recently on other threads, including: https://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162766

But if you stay in Colfosco I’d say you’re probably too far away to do it. You certainly wouldn’t have time to explore the Seiser Alm area and would be limited to simply following the shortest route round the circuit.

Quote:
Also my friend keeps saying that you can get to Hidden Valley Lagazuoi without taking a taxi or a bus, but I believe everytime its come up on this thread theres been mention of a taxi..

As you’ll see from the piste map, the Lagazuoi cable car is on the Falzerago pass, remote from the main Sella Ronda skiing. It’s a 7-mile drive from San Cassiano. If you don’t have your own car/driver (who does?!), then you join the queue and jump on the first available taxi or coach (they all go direct, take the same time, and cost the same). It’s a flat fare per person and there is a steward who manages the queue and fills the vehicles.

If you’re going to ski the Cinque Torri (and I recommend you do - you have to walk across the main road to find the piste or else take the cable car up and ski the red run down the front side) then you must do that first. You then come back and take the Lagazuoi cable car and ski the hidden valley. From the bottom of the hidden valley you get a horse tow (yes, I said a horse tow!) to the drag lift at Armenterola, except it drops you a couple of hundred metres short and you have to skate, pole or walk the last bit. It’s a bit of an adventure, but not for everyone. If you do ski the Cinque Torri I can recommend lunch at Rifugio Scoiattoli.

For more info on Lagazuoi and the hidden valley:
https://lagazuoi.it/

and the taxi and horse tow:
https://lagazuoi.it/EN/pTer39-Connections-with-the-Badia-Valley-taxi-service-and-horse-lift
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scrunch77 wrote:

If you’re going to ski the Cinque Torri (and I recommend you do - you have to walk across the main road to find the piste or else take the cable car up and ski the red run down the front side) then you must do that first. You then come back and take the Lagazuoi cable car and ski the hidden valley. From the bottom of the hidden valley you get a horse tow (yes, I said a horse tow!) to the drag lift at Armenterola, except it drops you a couple of hundred metres short and you have to skate, pole or walk the last bit. It’s a bit of an adventure, but not for everyone.

As regards the horse tow it consists of sleigh pulled by two horses with two long ropes attached to the rear of the sleigh. There are loops on each rope at regular intervals for skiers to grab hold of. There can sometimes be a bit of a wait for the horse tow to go as they like to get a full set of skiers on the ropes before setting off. If you're short of time or don't fancy the rope tow then as an alternative it's possible to get a taxi from the restaurant Capanna Alpina (which is the second restaurant on the Hidden Valley run after you've passed the Rifugio Scotoni and the frozen waterfall and before you reach the horse tow, and incidentally does very good pizza and pasta dishes). They normally require a minimum of four people per taxi (you can always share with others) and they take you directly to the San Cassiano gondola which saves having to pole to the baby drag lift at Armentarola after the horse tow and the ski from there down to the San Cassiano gondola.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Alta Badia piste map shows the pistes around San Cassiano and Armenterola for getting to and from Lagazuoi and can be found here:
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/dam/jcr:b654909f-8e83-47fb-acc2-a1798bd83d05/Alta_Badia_WEB.pdf

The Cortina piste map shows the ‘Super 8’ area on the far side of Lagazuoi, including the Cinque Torri, and can be found here:
https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/dam/jcr:b588ab66-e995-4fc6-8c8f-541aad80eb23/Cortina_WEB.pdf
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
…and you get to practice quick slslom turns around horse manure.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the tips, I did know about the Horse tow already, my friends have been telling me about it since we were 7 years old Laughing

@Scrunch77, you say Colfosco is too far away to do the Val Ronda comfortably, and I possibly agree. I guess the same is true if we are based in Corvara, since they are practically the same location, right ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jimbo94 wrote:
@Scrunch77, you say Colfosco is too far away to do the Val Ronda comfortably, and I possibly agree. I guess the same is true if we are based in Corvara, since they are practically the same location, right ?

Yes, in fact Corvara is even further away as you first have to take the 34 Borest gondola from Corvara up to Colfosco.

From Colfsco to the Passo Gardena, from where you can ski down to Selva and start the Val Gardena Ronda, you have to take three lifts:
- 36 Sodlisia 8-person chair
- 39/40 Plans/Frara two-stage gondola
- 42 Val Setus 4-person chair
snow conditions
Ok thats also helpful to know, I guess Corvara provides more immediate access to the Alta Badia area then ? Since Colfosco will always require the horizontal Borest to get to the rest of Alta Badia and always require 3 lifts to get to Selva

Obviously Corvara is further fromVal Gardena but only by 1 lift, so with Colfsoco you need 3 lifts to get onto the Sella Ronda ? Or is it 3 lifts to do the Val Ronda because it starts from somewhere other than the Pass Gardena ?
latest report
@Jimbo94, Colfosco is directly on the Sella Ronda (as is Corvara).
latest report
Ok yes you’re right, because without the connection between them you cannot get round the sella, stupid me

So I guess there are just more lifts to access the Val Gardena side from Colfosco and Corvara, then there are to go to Alta Badia side from Corvara and Colfosco, which makes sense

My last consideration would be if the snow would keep better in Colfosco than Corvara because its slightly higher and shaded. On google maps you can see that when they took the images, Colfosco’s shaded parts all have snow, whereas the places in the Sun have much less

Obviously we are not going to spend much time in Colfosco, rather just leave in the morning to go either side, but I guess the town would have more snow which is nicer

Attaching the image from Google Maps (Since i have such a privilege until next month Smile

ski holidays
Jimbo94 wrote:
Ok thats also helpful to know, I guess Corvara provides more immediate access to the Alta Badia area then ? Since Colfosco will always require the horizontal Borest to get to the rest of Alta Badia and always require 3 lifts to get to Selva

Obviously Corvara is further fromVal Gardena but only by 1 lift, so with Colfsoco you need 3 lifts to get onto the Sella Ronda ? Or is it 3 lifts to do the Val Ronda because it starts from somewhere other than the Pass Gardena ?

All will be clear if you study the piste maps! Colfosco and Corvara are both on the Sella Ronda and linked by the Borest gondola. (You can't ski between them). From Colfosco it's three lifts up to the Passo Gardena and then you can ski all the way down to Selva. As you pass the bottom of the Dantercepies gondola you need to turn left onto the path down to the Ciampinoi gondola. (If you overshoot, get a drag lift back up.) From the Ciampinoi gondola you can start the Val Gardena Ronda, but I doubt you'll have time to do the whole circuit. You'll definitely get down La Longia to Ortisei.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 16-01-23 11:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Jimbo94 wrote:
My last consideration would be if the snow would keep better in Colfosco than Corvara because its slightly higher and shaded.

You're definitely overthinking this! I would say:

EITHER
Look at the Alta Badia and Val Gardena piste maps and decide which area gives you more of the type of skiing you want to do on your doorstep on the days you don't fancy doing a big tour:
- Colfosco/Corvara = Alta Badia = loads of blue, some red and a few black
- Selva = Val Gardena = loads of red, some black and a few blue

OR
Decide which tour(s) you most want to do (over and above the Sella Ronda) and base yourself conveniently for that objective:
- Colfosco/Corvara = better for Cinque Torrie, Lagazuoi, hidden valley, La Villa, Marmolada
- Selva = better for Val Gardena, Val di Fassa, Seceda, Ortisei, Seiser Alm

How many sunlight hours a village gets is really only of relevance to any non-skiers in your group, but as you haven't mentioned any I don't think it's a factor. Also, the Google Maps image you posted proves my earlier point that the artifiical snow making in this area is second to none!

Over and out!
snow conditions
@Scrunch77, brilliant summary!
ski holidays
@Scrunch77

Yes, brilliant summary. I did overthink it but there were a lot of changes and I got caught up Confused

I would probably have preferred Val Gardena since i prefer reds over blues

But now I’ve settled on the Alta Badia side, so Be Nice please! it, for next time Laughing

Thanks all !
ski holidays
@Jimbo94 What’s the verdict? Were you happy with your choice? I’m researching for our Feb 2025 trip to Dolomites and this is a super helpful post!
latest report
@sunflower_00, if you are going around the 5th of Feb then you can join the snowheads crew on the Birthday bash.

The buttons are not up to book yet but since the birthday is the 5th then you can book flights before and after.

I’ve already Booked My flights
snow report
@sunflower_00, We had stayed at Plan de Gralba, Selva which is on the Val Gardena side. Was great because its at 1,800 meters and that made all the difference in terms of snow at base elevations, otherwise we wouldn’t even have been able to ski in and out of our accommodation (Selva town, Santa Christina and Ortisei had dreadful snow in comparison, with lots of brown patches Skullie )

To be honest we did the Sella Ronda everyday, incorporating a different adventure everyday (Lagazuoi Hidden Valley/Marmolada/Gran Risa/Long Seceda Runs etc.) and found it to be a good base. Not many restaurants or shops in Plan De Gralba but a quick cab gets you to the centre of Selva where there is more

Given that it is a circuit, I wouldn’t worry too much about where you base yourself, and see which area is closest to the airport you are coming from. For example from Treviso staying in some of the villages on the Alta Badia side can cut your transfer time almost in half. Also check what the snow conditions and temperatures are like before you go and if necessary aim high and avoid sunny villages like Corvara, but in the end, you’re always only a few runs away from the next area/village Smile

Either way, its a great place, and there is some truly world class skiing on offer, so you will not be disappointed !
ski holidays
For a secluded ski-in ski-out experience with easy access to slopes, I'd recommend Alta Badia, specifically Corvara or La Villa. They offer tranquility without sacrificing convenience.
latest report
@GlasgowCyclops It looks awesome! We’re taking kids and stuck with Feb half term dates.. have a fabulous time!

@Jimbo94 Thanks for your response, it’s helpful. I’ve now looked at Plan de Gralba, whilst it looks great it’s a bit too isolated and probably too much hassle with kids..if we were just adults i would definitely consider it because of its altitude and ski in/out.
I’m not that bothered about transfer time to be honest, as long as it’s up to 3ish hours. I think the cost of flights and car rental will dictate which airport we fly to.

I’m inclined to go with Colfosco..it’s offers plenty enough blue runs for kids. And because it’s located at highest point out of Corvara or La Villa there’s hope we’ll see some snow at the base.. as you pointed out on the satellite map it shows some shaded areas (although Corvara shows some shade too!). The cost of the trip will be quite a big deal for us so I’d be disappointed if we end up skiing in sludge or on a slope with brown patches..

@rokoko Yes Alta Badia is at the top of my list at the moment..Colfosco in particular, as explained above. Would you know if there much difference in terms of snow between Corvara and Colfosco?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy