Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva Airport when it snows

Poster: A snowHead
I’m on a BA flight from LHA into Geneva next Wednesday morning. I know it’s 6 days away and the forecast could (likely will) chop and change a bit, but with the current forecast potentially giving heavy snow down to Geneva’s elevation my question is will my flight likely be affected? I’m guessing that unlike a U.K. airport which closes after 1cm of snow that they are obviously more prepared for snow but does anyone have experience or knowledge of how much snow closes Geneva airport?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Extremely rare for GVA to close. Google says it last happened for a morning in 2018 after several days of heavy snow. Wouldn't worry about it. Swiss efficiency!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In 40:years of flying into Geneva for skiing it has only resulted in one diverted flight due to snow. There was a metre of it in local ski resorts! I’d be amazed if you had any serious issues.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Raceplate, That must be the one!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Raceplate, given la crise sanitaire in between, hardly surprised was last in 2018 wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The answer of course is it all depends....

yes the Swiss are very efficient at making cuckoo clocks, looking after peoples money in perpetuity and helping folks through the final departure gate. But they have not yet mastered aircraft that can jump over snowploughs so:

It depends on the type of snow at the time, if its sleeting on the ground this can freeze very quickly on cold soaked aircraft requiring significant deicing before they can take off again, this causes delays as there are a number of criteria involved and time elapsed before take off, so its done as close to the runway as possible. If its really dry snow it almost blows off when you move

If the mile and a half of runway has to be swept free of snow and treated it takes a minimum of 10 minutes to achieve this, snowploughs have a max speed! This means that there are no take offs or landings for at least 10 minutes which at Geneva can cause significant backlog. Remember there are a great deal of wealthy folk with private jets who dont appear on the airport boards. So if its snowy expecting lots of holding, did Biggles load enough fuel for this, there may be cancellations especially on routes served a number of times a day.

If it is snowing hard it could mean Cat III landings are in force due to the visibility, this slows down the flow as all aircraft have to be out of the sanitised area before an aircraft can begin its final descent. If vis is that poor, aircraft have to slow almost to a stop before turning, no chance of using the fast taxyway lanes (the ones that run about 20 degs off runway heading), this is heightened if there are chances of slippery surfaces. Again this reduces the total amount of movements = delays or cancellations.

Luckily it doesnt often snow that much at GVA!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
In my experience 6 - 10 inches of snow in Gva airport (which is very rare) will cause JUST as much disruption as it does in Manchester.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have battled on snowy roads to get people to Gva airport, only to find total chaos and all flights being delayed. But there really is rarely any significant snow down there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I’ve flown into Geneva 12 times and been diverted once to Basel. We sat on the plane for 2hrs whilst they cleared the runways at GVA then we headed there once cleared. IMO, Geneva will close like most other airports during snowfall, the only difference is they have the capacity to clear runways much quicker once it’s actually snowed.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’ve flown into Geneva 12 times and been diverted once to Basel. We sat on the plane for 2hrs whilst they cleared the runways at GVA then we headed there once cleared. IMO, Geneva will close like most other airports during snowfall, the only difference is they have the capacity to clear runways much quicker once it’s actually snowed.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@pam w, in a rare disagreement, I think GVA is a lot better set up to deal with 10" of snow than MAN ... (e.g. I don't think MAN has snow ploughs? and not very many if it does)

But total chaos and delayed flights doesn't mean closed. I think (?) in 17 years of flying at times very frequently (i.e. more than once a week) in and out of GVA we've only had a flight cancelled on us once due to snow and a closed airport. We have been delayed quite often due weather but, mountains, weather ...

[diversion]I once sat in the lounge and watched Stockholm clear snow during a snow storm, like fricking Thunderbirds are go, 3 runways for this reason, 1 being cleared, 1 in use, 1 waiting to be cleared, in rapid rotation - I think I counted 15 (?) swiftly moving ploughs in formation[/diversion]
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It happens but it's rare https://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContentP/2/291935/World/Heavy-snow-forces-Geneva-airport-to-suspend-all-fl.aspx#:~:text=The%20heavy%20snowfall%20lashing%20Europe%20forced%20Geneva%20airport,further%20notice%2C%22%20the%20airport%20said%20on%20its%20website.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, oh yes, we had about 80-100cms in our garden in Geneva that weekend.

That Saturday we managed to get ourselves home via a Brussels rescue flight out of Edinburgh (Beast from the East, we'd been stuck there since 23.2.1Cool which was lucky as my brother and wife had arrived on the Friday night and had to dig themselves into the drive and to get the garage doors open to get at the house key hidden inside.

We flew out of Edinburgh at 06h00 but then had 9 hours waiting in Brussels for an onward evening flight, and Geneva had obviously sorted themselves out by the time we flew in.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Meteo swiss is saying a bit sleety at worst so I don't think you'll have any issue
snow conditions
I'd hate to think how many times I've flown in and out of GVA, and only been de-iced once.
add in 5 seasons of doing transfers and never had a diversion, though obviously had all sorts of delays, I'd say closure of the airport is very, very rare.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy