Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flexiplus Eurotunnel at Peak times

Poster: A snowHead
We normally just by a standard Eurotunnel ticket to drive to the alps but recently when we have used the tunnel at peak times we have found significant delays and had to wait for ages in queues.

Thinking of using flexiplus this year. Any experience on peak time queuing using flexi plus - is it worth it?

Second question - anyone gone through the 1.8m with skis on their roof? We would be under 1.8m. We would be classed as an oversized vehicle even though we are under 1.8m and I heard that oversized vehicles can visit the flexi lounge…

Would love to hear your thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Im sure you would be fine with skis on the roof.
About 15 years ago, when the whole thing was SNAFU, we were let in with a MG ZTT (lowish estate) and a full size roofbox.
Has about 3cm clearance to the ceiling! (Ground floor)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
definitely fine with skis on the roof.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Overheight vehicles can visit the FlexiPlus lounge, you just need to go in a different entrance.

I've done FlexiPlus a couple of times at the busy Feb half term, and the lounge gets packed. But they will have extra staff who just hand you bags of food at the entrance, and they usually put an extra coffee van outside too. Or if you don't need to stop you can just grab bags of food in the drive through.

FlexiPlus has gone up in price a lot, but you can get it for a reasonable price as part of a package. Some people book just for the return journey, as this is where you arguably need it most.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've driven through the High Vehicles gate by mistake, when I ticked the wrong box for high-sided vehicle on the website, and they just boarded our car along with everyone else. We didn't have to divert to the low vehicles side. It turned out fortuitous, because the latter was pretty busy and we seemed to get straight on an earlier train. It did make me think that it might be worth saying my vehicle was high when booking the next trip, but I'm not sure that it would work in our favour next time i.e. it's probably random which type of vehicle is faster to board.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think there is a surcharge for high vehicles, so even though I have a roof box I don’t tick the option because I’m still under 1.85m. I’ve been sent down the high and low vehicle lanes apparently totally randomly.

The key challenge is to get £200 worth of food and drink from the lounge in order to make it cost neutral.

I always go flexi as it’s much more reliable and I like the flexibility. I’ve never experienced anything other than driving on to the first train I want to be on, even when there’s been multi hour delays on the normal tickets.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having used Feliplus for the first time last Feb half term/booked it again for this one I'd say:
1) Yes it's worth it, to take away the stress of traffic being bad/missing your booked, standard slot and not knowing how long you'll get bumped (especially if other issues are causing general delays).
2) Do NOT listen to the electronic signs saying "Feliplus use any lane" and stick with the 2 right hand, permanent Felxiplus lanes. Yes you can use any lane...but if you go in one of the general lanes no amount of waving your Feliplus ticket at the staff will make them let you onto the quick route and you have to follow the standard snake all around the car park.
3) Especially with children either take food with you or stop before the tunnel, only using the Felxiplus terminal for a quick toilet stop and maybe to send someone in to grab drinks. For us this just turner into a wasted 30+ minutes hurding cats to end up with a lot of food that ended up uneaten. Much better to just pass through and get on the road.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Elsie80, We use the tunnel about once a year for a trip back to the UK in summer. We have moved to paying the extortionate money for flexiplus simply because with the long drive we prefer not to risk any delays it is a long enough day as it is. Last summer we turned up at Folkstone on the day when a train broke down in the tunnel (it triggered one of the huge waits at Dover as the French border folk were on that train!) there were huge queues of cars backed up in the lanes past the border control, when we got to the lounge we were told at least a 3 hour delay but after about 20 minutes there was an announcement asking everyone in the lounge to go to their cars. They put all the flexiplus passengers on a shuttle and we got to Calais with about an hour's delay over what we had planned, non flexiplus passengers sat for hours (with no refreshments) waiting. The lounge is not up to much, the coffee is OK but the food not (despite some sad folk cramming multiple packets of crisps & cakes into their "goodie" bags) sadly the bacon buttie van is no longer in the waiting area. No issue for higher vehicles there is a separate entrance lane
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never seen the attraction myself although tbf I've only been HT once and our timings are pretty good.

Regarding queues it kinda depends what the queues are for/about. For example if the M20 and exit slip is snarled up then everybody gets caught in it, if it's UK border force bottleneck (which we've encountered on recently) then everybody suffers through it and if the tunnel/trains itself has issues then everybody gets delayed. However, as noted above, it can I think have benefits mitigating against these and/or help if you need a lot of flexibility regarding when you cross.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It doesn't really matter where the queue is, the benefits are the same.

1) At all busy times - rather than follow the crawling snake from the ticket gates/to the terminal car park/zigzag all through the car park/back again to the security/passport control queues you just drive direct from the ticket machine to security/passport control queue. Saving ~1hr.

2) If crossings are disrupted (e.g. weather/strikes/single tunnel operation/etc) - the timetable goes out the window and the flow becomes call any Flexiplus who want to go/load them all/fill any remaining space with next standard cars in the queue. The more Flexiplus cars waiting to go the longer you have to wait as a standard car.

3) In theory if you arrive after your train with a standard ticket Eurotunnel will put you on a train but it will be the next one with booking space, not the next necessary the next one to go - and at busy times that can mean hours of waiting. That's in theory, in practice as the whole car park now seems to be part of the queue I'm not sure they have the space to hold anyone any more!

Clearly this doesn't jump all the queues but does let you jump those specific ones - and sometimes, if you have a deadline the other side of the channel/your passengers are already forming weapons from their toys, you'll take any shortcut you can get! Eh oh!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know it is not cool enough, but I always stick to ferries after a few very unfortunate travels on Eurotunnel (waiting for ages for a train at busy times). Ferries, on the other hand, had always worked like clockwork, and i could take some rest from driving. Overall, much more predictable journey for way less money.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@alexsas, last time I got the ferry there was massive queues at check in.

And another time we came back early as daughter had a fever and coming out of Dunkirk there was no overnight ferries (I think we got to the terminal 9ish) so had to get an Hotel overnight.

Granted we enjoyed the break when the kids were younger and the soft play area tired them out nicely so you pays your money....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We always book flexipass on the return leg only at the end of school holidays to avoid congestion and to stock up on a weeks worth of sandwiches and snacks from the lounge Toofy Grin . Do not mention you have a rack attached to roof when you book as your crossing options provided may be limited to availability of high carriages.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
yes always on the way back at Feb HT.........Flexi Plus lanes on the left in Calais i think i recall
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is it possible to take the next exit along the motorway and come back in the other direction to avoid the tailback on the elevated section? I have seen cars merge into the queue nearer to the checkin gates and wondered if that is what they are doing?
ski holidays
Usually do FP both directions this time on way out early train Friday 10th.
Not interested in going to the terminal presumably I can follow to FP direction direct to passport control rather than toward the terminal. There isn't any special FP passport control the lane from the entry barrier just bypasses the zig zag terminal road FP is after passport control so different route at that point?
snow conditions
@James77, I could be wrong but thought in U.K. all cars are made to go through the main terminal carpark and the FP diversion only appears after passport control.
snow report
@Ozboy, When you go through the entrance barrier if you glance to the right there's a sign saying Flexi+ that short road bypasses the need to go to the terminal and takes you directly to Vehicle Departure Road and join the queue at passport control. It's only after passport control you drive to the Flexi+ lounge.
snow report
I always use the ferry now because of Flexiplus. It's just legal pushing in making others with a standard ticket wait longer. The same as at Thorpe park when you pay a tenner for a fast pass. One day everyone will have a Flexiplus ticket and you'll wonder what the extra cost was for.
Sorry about the moan but morally it's just wrong .

Have a great trip anyway
latest report
@James77, Unless you've got a pet - then you have to go through the car park to Pet Reception!
latest report
Pompeyc wrote:
I always use the ferry now because of Flexiplus. It's just legal pushing in making others with a standard ticket wait longer.

No it isn't. Under normal circumstances it's exactly the same as an Open ticket on National Rail vs. a Saver. In both cases you pay extra for the flexibility to just turn up and take any train vs. saving money but being booked on a specific, timed train. To suport this Eurotunnel trains are never booked to 100% capacity, space being left for predicted Flexiplus passengers - and why when it's quiet you sometimes you get released from the post passports/security lanes onto an earlier train than their letter, just to fill space on a train and pass a little extra capacity to a later, busier time of day.

You could try to make a case that people with Flexiplus "jump the queue" when things have gone wrong - but equally you can make the case that people with standard tickets "knew the risk of delays but decided to same money and accept them". Bit like deciding not to take out the extended warranty on something.

Pompeyc wrote:
Sorry about the moan but morally it's just wrong .

If you're making a moral case to use ferries please tell me you use P&O! The bunch of immoral shisters who believe it is fine to just sack all their staff and then re-employ them on lower pay and worse terms, knowingly breaking UK employment law on informing the government and consulting with staff/unions.
latest report
I've travelled Flexiplus many times (usually as a package with Erna Low or Peak Retreats). It definitely saves time coming back on peak dates such as Easter Sunday. It's a joy to skip the queue (although Calais can be chaotic, even with Flexiplus)
ski holidays
I used P&O last summer, only as I'd booked a non-refundable fare in Jan 2020 - I mean what was going to happen to stop me going Laughing

Was without doubt the worst crossing I've ever had - late, lack of food, half the facilities closed and to top it all they couldn't get the ferry door open for 30-mins.

When Eurotunnel goes wrong, it does go spectacularly wrong, but generally I've found it the best option. Must admit, hadn't realised you can get Flexi ticket just for one direction. May look at that for our return as we come back at a busy time
snow report
@Boris, we are also coming back next time on Easter Monday, so thinking about it. Out of many crossing since around 2000 we've had very few delays, but may just have been lucky. One was 2010 snow, when lines were iced up and they diverted us to a ferry that didn't exist. We sat at Dover for hours before we got on a ferry and almost went back to ET. Another after an EoSB on a Sunday lunchtime.
Covid lockdown was bizarre as we were unable to amend our Frequent Traveller, or buy anything other than Flexiplus. We got to a completely deserted terminal and wished we'd just winged it. The price was not worth the food bag that was thrown at us and we couldn't use the loos.
latest report
flexi ticket one way is possible, just not via Tesco vouchers
ski holidays
@stefoy4me, I often just use my Tesco voucher for the outbound trip, so I can be more flexible about the return. I couldn't change anything on my existing Frequent Traveller trip on that occasion though, and couldn't even book another standard crossing, only the Flexiplus.
latest report
yes same....tesco out and FP back if travelling at peak time
snow conditions
Went through Calais on Sunday, they have fiddled around with the lego blocks again so you now have to drive through and around the terminal car park lanes and back almost to where you just checked in. There is then an open funnel made of lego blocks to the French border passport stampers - there is no Flexi plus lanes until you have cleared UK passport checks.
I guess this is so at peak times the queue can be wound around the terminal car parks.
They are also constructing new buildings between Check in and the animal reception centre which is where it was but now hidden by the building site.
On a quiet Sunday in January it still took an hour from check in to queuing to get on a train.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
So there is no flexi plus as you drive in and you have to go around with the rest of the traffic - that seems wrong…
snow report
So there is no flexi plus as you drive in and you have to go around with the rest of the traffic - that seems wrong…
latest report
@Elsie80, There wasnt on Sunday but they can change the flows by moving the Lego blocks at any time. As Eurotunnel now say quite frequently they have no control over border staff, and I guess the French won't staff a lane on the off chance a Flexi plus car arrives.
ski holidays
I've never done FP but I guess the point of it is to get the next train after you arrive if you want. But this process might not include prioritisation at border control?
latest report
Last winter at Coquelles they had the LEGO™ set up so that Flexiplus went through a dedicated gate on checking, and then merged in where the 'loop' to the terminal, parking and back out finished. As you might expect, people who had been queuing for delayed trains weren't particularly inclined to let the Flexiplus cars in - much to the annoyance of the FP drivers. I noticed this summer that they now have a marshal controlling the merge process and directing cars to the UK Immigration queues.

I often wonder why they just don't have traffic lights and lanes controlling the flow. The operation has been running for decades - you'd think they'd have worked out the optimal flow management setup by now.
snow conditions
When we used our FlexiPlus tickets last summer, we were able to turn-up and board the next available train ... there were no restrictions attached to this other than having to use our tickets / travel within 12 months of booking. BUT, I've just noticed that these tickets now only allow you to board any train within your specified 24 hour window? Of course, you can cancel and rebook without a charge but it feels like the nature of these tickets has recently changed?
snow report
@franga, the 24hr rule has been the official situation for as long as I can remember with FP tickets. You don't need to cancel and rebook, you can just go to your account and change the date/time on the ticket.

During the COVID quarantine-rush days I think it mattered, as there were potentially more FP ticket holders turning up than there were spaces on trains. I guess it might matter on a Feb half-term date as well when it's overloaded, but I've never driven then so don't know how it would work.

In reality it appears that the 24hr rule doesn't really matter, but clearly if it does matter, you're taking a theoretical risk of being turned away. Changing the date takes less than a minute, so it's easy enough to do.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy