Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Be careful out there folks...

Poster: A snowHead
...and don't be like the gentleman below (demonstrating that even the most experienced winter outdoorsmen can become complacent). Mountain forecast for Gothenburg: a substantial fall of powder followed by rapidly falling temperatures has significantly increased the risk of skier- triggered slides. A persistent weak layer remains, especially on North facing slopes. Avalanche risk is generally moderate, but considerable above 5 cm and where wind has transported the recent snowfalls.

As you can see, the individual concerned was carrying no gear (surprisingly, not even an airbag) so was extremely fortunate to remain on the surface, buried only to his waist, in this relatively small slide. Closer examination will reveal a number of warning signs ignored by the victim. Although he has chosen a low angle slope, there is appreciable convexity below the slide and it is likely that it began on this steeper section, propagating back uphill. The sides of the slide show characteristics of a slab avalanche.

The slide was full depth, revealing the (strangely apricot-hued) weak layer, which had remained buried through the season until now.

The route of ascent is unknown (and indeed, may have involved the natural equivalent of heli-skiing) but had the skier been observant, he may have noticed the effects of wind on the southern approaches (as mentioned in the bulletin). A definite crust, though not full sastrugi.

Merry Christmas everyone snowHead Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Merry Christmas, @mgrolf, Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Excellent Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quality post

Merry Christmas @mgrolf and everyone Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@mgrolf, brilliant! Happy Christmas!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fantastic. Thanks.

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I love the simulation of une couche de sable!

Makes for very tricky decision making wink wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
And skiing alone it would appear?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@mgrolf, God Jul fra Norge!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I always thought having your avi-sack slung over your shoulder by one hand wasn't very effective/secure. No wonder he lost it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glad no-one was seriously injured.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mgrolf, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Brilliant Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And not wearing a helmet Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Classic! Happy Christmas everyone
snow report
@ster, yes, no partner searching for him as far I can tell.

@adithorp, he definitely didn't have the crotch strap fastened, that's for sure.

@Weathercam, he does have a fairly solid hat on though, perhaps it's one of those "stealth" helmets?

In case anyone is missing their presents, I'm afraid he's still stuck. The rescue team have to wait for the situation to stabilise before attempting to reach him, and as you can see, the slide is still progressing Toofy Grin.

@dbeatski, tack, detsamma, men...it says "Midlands, UK" next to your name?! Laughing
snow conditions
Very Happy Great work @mgrolf. Happy Xmas!
ski holidays
Very Happy
latest report
@mgrolf, yep, UK resident and I'm back in Norway after the long 'Covid break', it feels great to be back Very Happy
Seasons greetings! snowHead
snow conditions
@mgrolf, fabulous!Sending you festive greetings!
snow conditions
I'm sorry to say that new information has emerged, that makes the situation worse than first thought. It wasn't easy to see (as perhaps is often the case) but it turns out the terrain was glaciated, with numerous weakly-bridged crevasses. In trying to extricate himself, Santa appears to have broken through a snow bridge...

latest report
I'm surprised the "glacier" hasn't receded more than yhat in the past 2 weeks. Similar ones around here have disappeared completely Laughing
snow conditions
@mgrolf, Thanks for the expert analysis. I don't suppose that do you do evening talks at the Gnarly ski resorts during the ski season, maybe Serre Chevalier etc?
snow report
@adithorp, climate change does funny things, and (very) local microclimates exist that buck the overall trend. wink

@Toby Jug, i have been known to talk in the evenings in that neck of the woods. But I don't think the word "expert" can credibly be used in the same context.
ski holidays
@mgrolf, brilliant! I'm desperate to know now if Santa will survive his ordeal, and how he will be rescued.... Shocked
latest report
Save Santa!! Will the reindeer fly in to take a slice of the action? Crumbs, this is on a knife edge…
snow report
@CathyAuLait. @shep,
Quote:
@mgrolf, brilliant! I'm desperate to know now if Santa will survive his ordeal, and how he will be rescued....

Save Santa!! Will the reindeer fly in to take a slice of the action? Crumbs, this is on a knife edge…

Looks like he's going to be OK after all....

latest report
@geoffers, at last, someone who knows what they're doing!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very nearly a sticky end! Phew snowHead
snow report
Brilliant thread!
A very happy 2023 to you @mgrolf.
snow report
geoffers wrote:
@CathyAuLait. @shep,
Quote:
@mgrolf, brilliant! I'm desperate to know now if Santa will survive his ordeal, and how he will be rescued....

Looks like he's going to be OK after all....

And that is why we wear a climbing harness with a row if ice anchors casually hanging from it. Did anyone remember the rope! rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy