Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

General conditions across the Alps

Poster: A snowHead
The Alps have been cold so the snow has held up but it’s been pretty dry for 3 weeks except for the East which got a dump last week. Problem is it’s now warming up and 2 week forecast is dry. Piste skiing only and those pistes are going to suffer, especially in the lower resorts.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Bob.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BobinCH wrote:
Problem is it’s now warming up and 2 week forecast is dry. Piste skiing only and those pistes are going to suffer, especially in the lower resorts.

Porca miseria !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BobinCH wrote:
The Alps have been cold so the snow has held up but it’s been pretty dry for 3 weeks except for the East which got a dump last week. Problem is it’s now warming up and 2 week forecast is dry. Piste skiing only and those pistes are going to suffer, especially in the lower resorts.

Piste skiing, mid-morning coffee breaks, lunch on the terrace, sunglasses and suncream on, uninterrupted views under blue skies ... what's not to like?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, underrated for sure
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
franga wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Piste skiing, mid-morning coffee breaks, lunch on the terrace, sunglasses and suncream on, uninterrupted views under blue skies ... what's not to like?

Fine in April. Not really what I hope for in mid Feb! But yes if you want to sunbathe this week looks perfect!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've skied a couple of days this week in local resorts. On Sunday in les Sept Laux. Bottom of the pistes at 1600m. Better than at Christmas when it was very limited. Quite a few rocks on the pistes but just in certain places. Cover is thin but sufficient. Some icy patches but also chalky powder at altitude on north facing slopes. Resort hopes to make it through to the end of the school holidays although the high temperatures at the moment - spring like - are a worry for slope wear. All lifts running at full speed, so very little queues and pistes not that crowded.

Today we were at Allevard, pistes go from 1400m to 2000m. Even at 2000m there were rocks visible poking through the snow. Some very rocky and muddy pistes, even in the north facing Pre Rond bowl. It was very ropey and I wouldn't ski there again in those conditions.

My son was in Areches yesterday. Despite the low altitude there was reasonable snow cover. Again stones on piste but just in certain areas. Generally good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was in Alpe d'Huez last week.
Conditions started well above 1500m at the start of the week.
Above 2000m held up but by end week lower slopes were most definitely beginning to struggle with bare and icy patches.
The area and I am guessing the northern French Alps in general needs a good half metre mininum.

This week it's warmed up too - fingers crossed there is some snow forecast soon
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So warm here at 1,400m that when fiddling with my skis and big bumble-bee spent a fair time investigating them from tip to tail, must have been the fact that they were bright and shiny?

Piste holding up really well here still with a good covering, with no rocks or bare patches, but obviously by noon it's nigh on boilerplate and then lower down soft.

Managed to find and ski some Spring corn yesterday (see Serre Che thread) and tomorrow planning on going further afield using e-mtb, but cloud might throw a spanner in the works?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
https://www.skiresort.info/snow-reports/europe/sorted/open-slopes/

It’s half term and most of the bigger resorts still have some closed lifts and runs. Some may still have quite a lot still closed. Presumably this is indicative of the poorer than average snow conditions across the alps. It may be that parts of some ski areas are not able to fully open all season now?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Peter S, I can imagine conditions aren't great, but it's still only mid Feb. Just when it looks like the weather will never change, and we've given up on it...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've skied in the Isere and Savoie this week. Generally very hard snow which has led to steeper slopes getting scralped and exposing all the rocks. Don't take new skis or you'll be crying. However if you like ice it's been ok with wall to wall sunshine. Some very nice sun kissed blues to ski in the afternoon before they turn to slush.

Off piste was a mixture of chalky snow and transformed, ok to ski but never excellent but frequently better than on piste.

Conditions notably poorer at the end of the week compared to the start with a lot of rocks on piste, even at 2000+ meters altitude.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Peter S, I think that site is rather misleading. Looking at Cham (from Edinburgh Confused ) there will be at least 2 runs closed, cos they almost always are. ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@Peter S, I think that site is rather misleading. Looking at Cham (from Edinburgh Confused ) there will be at least 2 runs closed, cos they almost always are. ...

I don't know about Chamonix, it is further north and colder than where I am. However I've seen a lot of open pistes recently that would not normally open in the condition they were in. I think the resorts are just struggling through this winter break as best they can on the sub 1800m runs in the French N.A. As has been said elsewhere, it will take at least 50cm of snow to bring the ski runs back to something reasonable and a meter for the off piste/ski touring unless you have some high road access.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, sadly, for those skiing, you’re spot on.

If I had to choose a season to be “off” this isn’t the worst …
snow conditions
My friend has been skiing/boarding around the Salzburg region (Gastein, Schladming, Obertauern, Saint Margarethen) for the last 6 or so weeks and it's only this week he's noticed the south facing lower pistes are suffering a bit. If the temps drop again and this drought breaks I expect that area will be quite good again.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:

If I had to choose a season to be “off” this isn’t the worst …

I'm effectively "off" this season as I have too much work on, so I don't feel I'm missing too much.
ski holidays
@davidof, indeed
ski holidays
heading for a drought this spring

http://youtube.com/v/n8e4nWwsd8s
ski holidays
Still a bit of old pow on the North facing slopes and freshies coming end of the week

http://youtube.com/v/uUUfSH3ajiE
ski holidays

This may be about the high water mark or just after, of a rather poor season in terms of open runs and snow depth. It looks like most of the large ski areas in Europe will not achieve the situation of being able to open all their runs this year. Sad
ski holidays
Peter S wrote:

This may be about the high water mark or just after, of a rather poor season in terms of open runs and snow depth. It looks like most of the large ski areas in Europe will not achieve the situation of being able to open all their runs this year. Sad

Don't forget there are strikes today which will affect lift openings.
latest report
I've been to most of the main ski areas in central Italy over the last week as well as some small ones. Happy to report that about 90% of pistes are open, and there is very little ice, slush or bare patches.

Weather has (obviously) also been very different to the western Alps which have been dominating the general weather thread. Not-to-mild temperatures, some cloud / light snow (right down to 1,000m) while France has been sunny, and sunny today while it's been raining in France.

I'm here for 4 more days - weather outlook is for more of the same.
latest report
snow report
Had an amazing week in les gets. Pistes are in great condition considering the season
snow report
Looks fairly certain that this year very few of the big lifts systems will have had any days when they have been able to open all their lifts and slopes. In a more normal season you would expect something closer to 100% at least during high season after January.
snow report
@Peter S, I suspect that's true. Certainly from reports here on SHs and from my own observations of the bulletins from the Espace Diamant, where I've never seen so many closed pistes and lifts. Right now things have been much improved by the recent snowfalls, but before that conditions in many places were pretty shocking "for the season".
snow conditions
Ah not just weather.

Lift running = large electricity bill
Lift not running = no bill, no pisteurs needed

If no complaints....we'll just do it more and more, thinks the lift company
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
Looks fairly certain that this year very few of the big lifts systems will have had any days when they have been able to open all their lifts and slopes. In a more normal season you would expect something closer to 100% at least during high season after January.

You can also look at your link on archive.org and see indeed a greater % was open in previous years.
latest report
@valais2, I think it's more like everywhere has pistes/lifts sub 1,600m so everywhere has suffered to a degree.

Pisteurs will probs be on a contract for certain days I suspect so tricky to lay off.

En revanche, many lifts I've been on were running a few notches slower than usual speed, presumably to save leccy. Didn't make an appreciable difference to my fun.
latest report
In Menuires last week the St Martin Express seemed to be running slower at lunchtime when the queues were lower.

Makes sense I suppose but sort of negates it's express status and for those of us who ski through lunch to make the best of the empty slopes.
latest report
Yes I've had a few problems with slow ascending & waiting recently, have to keep telling the fat-Fitzwilliams to get fitter if they want to ski-tour Laughing
latest report
@NoMapNoCompass, All skiing areas of the organisation Domaines Skiables de France have sort of committed to reducing energy consumption by lowering speed of lifts when possible looking at the queue. + Other measures with the same goal in mind.
snow report
Yeah all the lifts at Kitzbuhel seem to be at 4M/S, with the seat heaters off. I’m fine with the latter, but I’m an impatient man…
snow report
Bet some of them wish they had kept more of their auto stacking Pomas now. Would have saved them a LOT of money in electricity and staffing not to mention the capital costs snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy