Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Just woke up and at 07.30 there’s about 7 inches of snow lying on the top of the balcony rail, still snowing pretty hard too.
Complete white out showing on some of the webcams which is to be expected the way it’s coming down. I suspect delayed opening/limited opening.
Glad I brought my new Blizzard Hustle 10s with me to test them out, new snow or not. Cool
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We ended up in Kappl today as Galtur was not happening at 9.15 am it was bucketing down with high winds, all lifts closed. Kappl was a good choice, knee deep powder and amazing conditions, skied top to bottom and some off piste between the pistes. Bring on tomorrow, weather set to clear early morning with more snow overnight. Alarms set for a early start. Eh oh! Eh oh!Eh oh!Eh oh!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loads of snow today and on pistes that opened up later (as more lifts opened) there was shin deep snow or more on the piste and to the sides
I don’t think I’ve seen this much snowfall all season what with it being a bit sparse this year.
Hopefully tomorrow will brighten up and more will be open.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another 3 inches of snow on the balcony railing this morning. It’s brightened up a lot too. Cold. Think it could be the best day of the season today. Winter is back, at least for today, it’s meant to warm up tomorrow onwards. It does mean some spring snow though later in the week if you catch it right.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oooh it’s fab today just stopped for early quick lunch!
Lucky people here this week.

Is anyone here next week from Sat 1st onwards?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great skiing today, up there in my top ten skiing days ever.

Amazing how good the snow conditions are at the moment, even the resort runs are in great nick.

Roll on tomorrow. Weather looks a little changeable, so may be a day to visit See.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kramer, wasn’t it just!
Even gone 3 there was still nice fresh tracks to be had, not too heavy by then.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Oooh is anyone here next week from Sat 1st onwards?

Me,
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mother hucker wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Oooh is anyone here next week from Sat 1st onwards?

Me,

I fly back on 2nd but there’s more snow forecast for the weekend. Can’t see next week’s forecast yet but either way there’s plenty here.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 28-03-23 19:02; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi All,

Is Mathon too far from Ischgl if we want to go out at night? Can you ski back to Mathon?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What’s the offpiste like just now?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Inboard wrote:
What’s the offpiste like just now?

Up there with the best days ever today.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@VolklAttivaS5, Thanks! We’re driving out on Friday but not booked yet…can’t decide where’s best (F, CH, A), but would like to get back to A for first time since 2019… the conditions certainly looking tempting…
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Inboard, plenty of snow here that’s for sure. It was lovely today not wondering if there was rocks just beneath the surface, there was 80cm of new snow in places and it was certainly up past my knees for the most part even with Hustle 10s on-so that seems to tally! I’d say the coverage of new snow off piste ranged from 10cm to 80cm and averaged 45cm. Avalanche level 3. Some evidence of slides to be seen even on not particularly steep slopes as there’s a LOT of wind loaded terrain and big cornices. I did see some pretty iffy lines being taken on steep slopes today and it’s like they don’t care (or don’t know).

One thing about here is whilst there are tracks, at 3pm there was still loads of untracked powder fields available at low gradients. Not many places are like that!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Alfie6913 wrote:
Hi All,

Is Mathon too far from Ischgl if we want to go out at night? Can you ski back to Mathon?

You can not ski back to Mathon from Ischgl, but you have the busses for that, which is just a few minutes. For returning late, taxies are cheap and plenty Happy
ski holidays
Oh thanks.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, brill - thanks for that. Sounds awesome. Will let you know if we pitch up in Ischgl!
ski holidays
@Inboard, it was certainly up there as one of the best powder days ever
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, i arrive in Ischgl on 4th of April, i think booking hotel near SilvrettaBahn, is a good location?

what restaurants do you recomend reservation in Mountain or in Village?
latest report
tutosat wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, i arrive in Ischgl on 4th of April, i think booking hotel near SilvrettaBahn, is a good location?

This is not exactly high season, but Silveretta bahn has the longest queue every morning. I usually aim for something close to Fimba bahn - least used uplift in town Happy
ski holidays
tutosat wrote:

Around that area (Dorfstraße) is the party zone so presumably it can be noisy at night. If you don’t mind that then that’s fine although yes the queue is longest there (but not many people around anyway at the moment)
Look for somewhere near the Fimba or Pardatschgratbahn
It doesn’t matter if it’s up the hill because there are 2 very convenient tunnels which take you down to the village/lifts
One tunnel is called Dorf Tunnel and the other tunnel is Prenner Passage
When you look at the accommodation information it will tell you usually how many minutes walk it is to the lift/tunnel/passage because if it’s less than 5 minutes that will be one of their selling points and will gladly tell you!

I can’t answer the question about restaurants because I don’t eat out on an evening really. But even when I have in the past I’ve never needed to reserve a table. A big group would do though.
snow report
So this morning at 7am it’s snowing and there’s another 3 inches of snow on the balcony railing.
snow report
Hi All

Someone has just told me prices for food a drink are expensive €10 a beer and €25 a pizza. Is this right??? Thanks again
ski holidays
@Alfie6913, depends on where it is, do they mean in the village or up the mountain or both?
I paid €15 for a yummy big Salami pizza at lunchtime a couple of days ago.

Beer-small beer yesterday afternoon was €4.30. That was at Alpenhaus just down from Idalp.

But at Idalp restaurant at the beer window outside it was €6 for a gluhwein
It was strong mind! I did think that was a bit pricey for a gluhwein so I think the Idalp restaurant might be expensive as it’s got that captive ski school marketplace maybe?

Ischgl is not a cheap Austrian resort as they go but I don’t think €25 for a pizza is the usual.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 29-03-23 23:46; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Snowing all day today and limited terrain available due to the wind. It didn’t seem very windy but of course up high it could be a different story.

The snow has certainly come down a lot in these past few days, hopefully it will brighten up a bit tomorrow, Fri and Sat so more lifts can open. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Still had quite a few powder turns today though as the visibility was fine in the tree lined areas.
snow conditions
Alfie6913 wrote:
Hi All

Someone has just told me prices for food a drink are expensive €10 a beer and €25 a pizza. Is this right??? Thanks again

No. Our experience has been ~€6-7 for a large beer, and ~€15 for a pizza.

There are some places to spend a lot of money here, and it’s not as cheap as most other Austrian resorts, but it’s not ridiculous.
ski holidays
Visibility very variable today, and heavy going on the resort runs at the end of the day, but snow conditions still very good -> excellent from mid station up.
snow report
Bit of a pointless search of rucksacks before getting on the Pardatschgratbahn this morning. Cursory glance through zipped sections nothing more. No one without rucksacks was searched so considering they must presumably be looking for drugs/explosives/knives regarding the George Ezra concert, of course no one would think to have any of that stuff just underneath their jacket or in their pockets….

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 30-03-23 17:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
An excellent days skiing today with some hero snow on-piste freshies to be had first thing in the morning. Roast Chicken at Alp Bella for lunch.

Today was typical spring skiing, getting softer and heavier as the day went on. After skiing the resort run yesterday, today we decided to download rather than ski the bottom which is getting quite heavy.

Unfortunately it’s raining heavily at resort level now, although the freezing level is predicted to fall this evening, so hoping for fresh snow tomorrow.

Conditions from the midstation up are still terrific.
latest report
@Kramer, I had some freshies too Very Happy
Did you go up the Piz Val Grondabahn and do ski route 42?
That was good, although you’re right, the freezing level was very high today so by 12 midday anything below 2300m had that sticky stop/start nature to it. Ok in the shade the skis would run but if not then they would stick a bit.

Hopefully the freezing level will drop considerably tonight.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, no, we were in Paznauner Thaya, and decided the wind was too strong in that direction, so headed over to the Swiss side for chicken at Alp Bella.

The snow on the Swiss side seemed to have held up a bit later than on the Austrian side, but after lunch both my ski buddies were finding it hard going.
snow report
@Kramer, it was certainly great on the Swiss side on Tuesday all day more or less, even at 3pm it was still pretty good!

It was ok at Piz Val the wind was only about 28 km/h at the top and nothing much after dropping in. I did it later on though it was getting on for midday.
snow conditions
Piz Val great this morning, Kim a bit nervous.

snow report
@JimboS, nice wasn’t it Very Happy
Do you think the off piste opportunities are better in Ischgl? Or Mayrhofen?
I’d be inclined to say Ischgl?
What do you think?
Obviously with Mayrhofen you have the rest of the Zillertal as well though.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, I'd agree, there is so much easily accessible, low risk here.
latest report
The weather today turned out to be much better than expected, the storm didn't hit till 2.30 ish. Hopefully tomorrow will be better too, we don't have a plan yet but fancy heading back over to the Swiss side.
ski holidays
@JimboS, I think so, there’s so much right next to the piste, easy low gradient stuff, you were here on Tuesday this week weren’t you?
With skins as well that opens even more doors!
latest report
JimboS wrote:
The weather today turned out to be much better than expected, the storm didn't hit till 2.30 ish. Hopefully tomorrow will be better too, we don't have a plan yet but fancy heading back over to the Swiss side.

What time did they open the link to the Swiss side today? At about 8.15 it was showing as still closed but at 9.30 it was showing as open?
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, yes, Tuesday was fantastic with the great weather, and had a ball in the......

snow report
JimboS wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, yes, Tuesday was fantastic with the great weather, and had a ball in the......

I had a very nice Salami pizza in there on Monday when it was dumping all day. Couldn’t find anywhere to sit inside mind due to all the people hiding from the weather, blooming cold too outside so I didn’t hang about!
They do half roast chickens in there too but I don’t know how they compare to the Alp Bella ones.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy