Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Cabin baggage rules for 2023 Ryanair, EJ, Jet2,Tui, BA

Poster: A snowHead
Pam, I have put my helmet in my small bag too, ( when it's not full) I stuff it with stuff and yes it fits under the seat on a ryanair flight, It's a simple helmet, without visor or anything.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @biddpyat. Mine's simple too, so hopefully it will go under the easyJet seat.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We took hand luggage only for our lads 3 day trip going to Val disere. No issues with my helmet in my bag using Easy jet, my mates was attached to his rucksack on the outside & again no issues.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think that we have all learned how to pack since these flights have come into play. My first ski trips would have suitcases of things, now its carry on, and the major stuff is stuffed in with the skis. I only started wearing a helmet two years ago. ( started skiing in the 80s so I was a hat fan) but the helmet is a pain to try and fit, if I have too much stuff in carry on, I clip it to the handle of said carry on. Haven't had a problem ( yet) If I have room I put it in the bag.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ryanair offer the option of paying extra to fly with "Ski equipment" which must weigh less than 20kg.
On the face of it "Ski equipment" would imply boots, however, it's not obvious from the site whether it does, particularly if they need to be in a separate boot bag.

Does anyone have any experience of what this means in practice? Thanks
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@wsirhc, I put my boots i hand luggage, failing that hold luggage. Unless you don't have space for them, they're just contents of a bag/case.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wsirhc wrote:
Ryanair offer the option of paying extra to fly with "Ski equipment" which must weigh less than 20kg. On the face of it "Ski equipment" would imply boots, however, it's not obvious from the site whether it does, particularly if they need to be in a separate boot bag. Does anyone have any experience of what this means in practice? Thanks
When I've paid for that it means a bag like the Dakine Fall Line loaded with snowboard(s) and clothes up to the 20Kg limit. Nothing more complex.

I would say that "ski equipment" is used by some airlines to define stuff which is quite long. They have zero idea at check in if you have boots in there or in any other bags. Most people probably carry boots in the cabin, simply because those are the things they don't want to lose. Air Canada typically carry skis for free on long distance flights, but that's fairly irrelevant as those flights already generally include hold baggage, and you can check snowboards as standard baggage on for example AC or BA scheduled flights.

In practice, it means:
  • If you're trying to take skis or snowboards, Ryanair/ Easy Jet etc see that as an opportunity to charge you more.
  • The desk check in staff don't look at what's in side, just the weight.
  • If you have to take it to the outsized belt once checked in, then those guys may x-ray the bag, but they're looking for illegal stuff, they're nothing to do with the airline's pricing policy etc.

So if you have skis/ snowboards, you need to pay for that option on airlines which charge for it. If you only have boots, try to take them in the cabin so the airline can't lose them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just a bit of information, I received an email from Jet2 today saying that they are currently offering half price ski carriage on their ski flights.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair Pink, I’ve e just booked a Jet2 MAN to GVA in March for CHF14.40.
There are some bargains around if you don’t need weekend travel!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
chocksaway wrote:
@Alastair Pink, I’ve e just booked a Jet2 MAN to GVA in March for CHF14.40.
There are some bargains around if you don’t need weekend travel!

And the relevance to cabin baggage is....?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The issue comes on the day that the airlines decide to implement the rules. I had an amusing morning watching Swiss staff put every item of hand luggage through their device to make sure that it fit. They must have made hundreds in extra fees and there was enough room for everyone's (correctly sized) hand luggage in the cabin....so everyone was happy (unless you chanced it). It is the inconsistency of the approach that annoys people.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does RyanAir have a policy against 'airport jackets'?

https://www.airlinestaffrates.com/airport-jacket-enough-pockets-hold-15kg-items/
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@wsirhc, Ryanair seem to be boots and skis in one bag. Flown with them and boots in different bag were OK, until last year was caught out and had to pay for hand luggage for the boot bag.
Nobody cares what's in the ski bag as long as it's under the weight. Anyway, ski clothing, technical underwear etc is ski equipment too, surely
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flying to Turin in Jan - with Ryanair, have paid for ski carriage, but decided to go for extra cabin bag and will take my boots separate, and keep them on my person. worry about them rattling round a big bag with the skis. Add to this a 20kg hold bag, and I'm looking at £250 for £54 return flights. D'oh
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@MountainIdiot,

Yes the price of the flight is OK. Then you add on the costs of your luggage and you get a very different picture.

It's the same with all "budget" airlines.
latest report
Swiss start to make quite a bit of sense for this... but think they're 'only' from Heathrow
ski holidays
@welshflyer,
Unfortunately, didn't have any other option, as the times (mainly return) from Turin are quite good

As far as I'm concerned, if they get me and all my stuff there and back for £250, I don't care who it's with!
snow report
Quote:
@Alastair Pink, I’ve e just booked a Jet2 MAN to GVA in March for CHF14.40.There are some bargains around if you don’t need weekend travel!

Quote:
And the relevance to cabin baggage is....?
@chocksaway will be taking some on his bargain Jet2 flight! Laughing
ski holidays
MountainIdiot wrote:
@welshflyer,
Unfortunately, didn't have any other option, as the times (mainly return) from Turin are quite good

As far as I'm concerned, if they get me and all my stuff there and back for £250, I don't care who it's with!

I booked my Milan return for Jan with BA. as soon as I factored in sufficient cabin baggage to take more than a chnage of socks it was cheaper than Ryan air. BA give you large and under seas back in with your standard fare. do similar early out and late back flights to.
snow report
Just my two pence worth, but I've always carried on my boot bag (not paid for) and had a small(ish) back pack, with my helmet strapped to it, on me. I've never once had an issue flying with Easyjet. Would pay for a checked 15kg bag for all the bulkier ski clothing, additional clothes and toiletries, etc, for me and my wife.
ski holidays
Easyjet do a club thing where you get a free cabin bag (amongst other perks) which makes sense if you take more than three return flights a year or so...easyJet Plus.
ski holidays
@Roscoe, that’s got rather more risky since June when they split bags and seats bookings. You now queue in speedy boarding queue if you’ve paid for a bigger bag - so now they can just cruise down the other queue and pick out people with big/2 bags - and sting them for £48. Just on our second GVA flight from Manchester of the winter and both times they were meaasuring/counting bags.
snow report
andy from embsay wrote:
@Roscoe, that’s got rather more risky since June when they split bags and seats bookings. You now queue in speedy boarding queue if you’ve paid for a bigger bag - so now they can just cruise down the other queue and pick out people with big/2 bags - and sting them for £48. Just on our second GVA flight from Manchester of the winter and both times they were meaasuring/counting bags.

Ah will bear that in mind then. Worst case scenario, I'll give my back pack to one of my sons as their hand luggage. My boot bag fits the measurements for an under seat carry on so it should be ok.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy