Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half term travel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We stayed in Chambery on the Friday night and then drove up on the Saturday morning with no hold up but the following weekend that was beginning of half term in other areas the traffic coming up was horrendous due to the police stopping everybody and making them fit snow chains.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
noggy, Grenoble is a fair old way from Val!! It must be good 3 hrs or so.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah@alpedhuez, - as long as that? I was under the impression that Grenoble was pretty good for Val d'Isere - quicker than from Geneva and easy transit through the airport to picking up a hire car. Chambery doesn't work from London as far as I understand. Must admit all the negative comments on Val has put me off, and I don't have to confirm the hotel until the end of September. So now I'm looking back at Austria - Saalbach in particular. I have a good hotel offer there, but the problem there is getting the flights organised to Salzburg. None of the low cost airlines have timetables available yet. Is this likely to be a problem, does anyone know? Scheduled flights currently available for February half term are pretty expensive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
noggy, is Munich any good for Saalbach? There may still be reasonable scheduled flights available.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 21-06-06 10:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
noggy, Its true that Grenoble airport must be one of the easiest to navigate without bringing stress levels to feverpitch!! But yes it is a hike to Val. I've never been but Saalbach is supposed to be very pretty. Might be an idea to find somewhere that will accommodate you for a Sun/Sun arrival so you a) miss the traffic and b) find cheaper flights. I had guests to a Mon/Mon in the feb half term and managed to get really really cheap flights to grenoble. Worth an ask!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah@alpedhuez, I've got the accomodation Sun/Sun no problem, which was perhaps a bit surprising. It's the comments on beginner friendliness of the resort that has put me off. My wife had a bad experience as an absolute beginner in Obergurgl last year. Not a problem with the resort or the instructors, just that she wasn't very fit and fell off the T bars and lost all confidence. She abandoned her group lessons after 3 days. I rather thought she wouldn't want to ski again. but she's furnished herself with a personal trainer (me too!) and is keen to try again.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wherever you decide to go try and get a name for a good instructor as this really can make or break a holiday for tentative skiers!!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
noggy, flyglobespan.com have just announced Stansted to Chambéry for next winter.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
brian, Good to know!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
noggy, low cost airlines are not low cost at 1/2 term, there are often more expensive than full service carriers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can avoid the T-bars at Saalbach. I'm pretty sure they all have chair alternatives.

Saalbach is great for intermediates and beginnners. Cheap half-term flights is not possible. I think myself lucky I've got tickets for only £185 rtn that week (BHX to LYS).

Plenty of good confidence-building cruises at Saalbch. It's a gem, honest!
snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sunday to Sunday travel should be ok. We flew to Genoble and hired a car to get to Tignes in Jan this year. We flew out on a Saturday afternoon, stayed at the IBIS hotel in Moutiers overnight and up to the resort in the morning. When we left on the following Sunday we drove straight back to Genoble. The total driving time was about 2 1/2 hours but is really easy, it was the first time I had driven any distance in France and I had no problems, just followed the signs.

Would echo the comments about not great for beginners though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy