Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Potentially unfortunate ski resort name mix-ups

Poster: A snowHead
There are a few ski resorts with near-identical names. I wonder if anyone has accidentally booked the wrong one by mistake? Toofy Grin I bet it happens!

e.g. Folgarida - one of the resorts making up the large Madonna di Campiglio domain just west of Trento, Italy
vs. Folgaria - pretty but relatively small, gentle ski area just east of Trento

or Torgon - village on the Swiss side of the vast Portes du Soleil domain
vs. Torgnon - one of several smaller ski areas in the Aosta Valley, Italy

or perhaps the worst (though less likely) mix-up of all...
Lech - exclusive resort at the heart of the famous Arlberg region, Austria
vs. Lecht - bleak Scottish ski area either side of a road pass through the Cairngorms Twisted Evil

Any other potential mix-ups?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, we're off to St Johann next week and your post has prompted me to check that I've booked a hotel in the right one Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
St Anton im Montafon
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not a ski resort but I did once lose a couple thousand bux booking a hire car for San Jose California, which wasn't a lot of use when I arrived in San Jose Costa Rica.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cortina d'Ampezzo and Cortina Hakuba, although it's hard to see how you wouldn't spot the difference when making any part of the booking
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not a ski resort but a ski trip...
Someone on here caught a train at Geneva and went to Moutier (Switzerland) instead of Moutiers (France)
Slight issue, as it's a 3 hour train journey in the opposite direction
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brixen in google will bring up a town in South, Tyrol Italy & not Brixen in Thale in Tyrol, Austria
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy, a friend also did this. From what they said to him at Moutier (flat, no mountains) someone does this every week in high season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laax - Where the mega snowpark is.
Lax - Small low pistes in the Altesch Arena.

Both CH.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One springs immediately to mind:
Praz de Lys vs
Praz-sur-Arly
Both relatively small ski areas just an hour or so apart by car, so not too much of a disaster if you drove to the wrong one, but still...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Goodness, there are quite a few!

Champéry (Portes du Soleil) and Chambéry could be quite bad.

For the ones in different countries, different languages could stop someone making a mistake, but auto-translate on web browsers is quite common nowadays...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Closer to home and the start of a trip, a friend once turned up at Birmingham for a flight from East Midlands Airport on the theory that Birmingham is in the Midlands.

She DID make the flight, just...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Les Arcs, the one we love near Bourg St Maurice or Les Arcs the pretty little town near St Tropez
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not really a ski resort mixup, but one time at work I mentioned to a work colleague that there was a world cup ski race being held in Bormio.

They were a bit confused as they thought I'd said Borneo! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bourg St Maurice or those more familiar with the Google translated Bourg St mauritius
ski holidays
La Plagne not La Plagne has to be one of the best Laughing Laughing Laughing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-31814083
snow report
Plan Peisey, which is in Les Arcs, which causes mass confusion!!! Thankfully if it was in La Plagne it would only be a short ride away on the Vanoise..
snow report
I did once accidently book a hotel in Les Arcs, but thought it a bit suspicious that it was so easy to get a room just for the Saturday night. I then looked at the map and saw it was another Les Arcs miles away.

We do get people on this forum talking about Bourg and no one is entirely sure if they are talking about the big chicken or the bottom of the funicular.

My nepthew booked a ski holiday for his party with a well known travel operator to a quite large ski area in Austria and was suprised it was inexpensive. The operator had in fact booked him in to a much smaller resort of similar name. Sorry that's all the details I can remember; except they had a good time.
latest report
Gored wrote:
Brixen in google will bring up a town in South, Tyrol Italy & not Brixen in Thale in Tyrol, Austria

Brixen In Google is a new one to me! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
There are quite a few Les Contamines which I discovered when simply typing this into a rental car sat nav when it was trying to direct me some many more miles and hours of driving than I was expecting when I wanted to get to Les Contamines-Montjoie. Glad I didnt just drive off following it.

Not a ski resort but when researching to visit the Alhambra I was wondering why Granada looked much more tropical than I expected, lucky the US didn't make a similar mistake but in the other direction.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 2-03-23 9:43; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
On a trip, driving down, a friend arranged a hotel in Chambery for the Friday night. When we arrived at the hotel we discovered that his very helpful secretary had booked a hotel from the same chain in another chambery much further north. For whatever reason Chambery was very full, but we eventually found beds for the night.
latest report
La Thuile at the head of the Aosta valley vs La Thuile a small hamlet just the other side of the mountain in the Tarentaise.
ski holidays
There is skiing at Zug in Switzerland with two lifts, and a number of small ski hills close by for the locals. Then of course there is Zug with a nice lift feeding into Lech
snow conditions
Quote:

La Thuile at the head of the Aosta valley vs La Thuile a small hamlet just the other side of the mountain in the Tarentaise.

You could ski over from La Thuile to La Rosiere and get a taxi, it's only a few km Smile
ski holidays
There are at least two St Johanns (im Pongau & in Tirol)
ski holidays
Bonneval sur Arc and les Arcs (both Fr)

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 3-03-23 15:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Gressoney La Trinité, and Gressoney St Jean, the larger village down the valley with a tiny ski area of its own unconnected to the famous G la T, Alagna and Champoluc ski area. People tend just to say Gressoney.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 2-03-23 11:59; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Quote:

We do get people on this forum talking about Bourg and no one is entirely sure if they are talking about the big chicken or the bottom of the funicular.

More confusing is "Bourg - that town just down in the valley near the ski resorts" No, not Bourg St Maurice , but Bourg d'Oisans.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not so much skiing* but MTBing (or hiking)... round my way it gets annoying when something pops up on a forum mentioning Burg Frankenstein**, only to find out it's not Burg Frankenstein, but Burg Frankenstein.
Hmm maybe I should ride from Frankenstein to Frankenstein one day. Nice and hilly and scenic at either end, but a bit flat and boring in between though. Prolly about 4 hour ride between the two.

(*although there are a couple of random drags serving 1 field not so far away)
(** may or may not have had an influence on Mary Shelley, who did stay nearby)
ski holidays
I hear people say "Bourg Saint Moritz" quite a lot.... rolling eyes

But I have also seen confused (with more unfortunate consequences):

Les Arcs - Large ski resort in the French Alps
Les Arcs - Small beach resort on the med coast

As well as:

Geneva - Gateway airport to much of the Alps
Genoa - Not so much....
snow report
Obertauern vs Obertraun in Austria.

Annaberg in Lower Austria vs Annaberg / Dachstein West in Upper Austria
ski holidays
Solda (It), Solden (Au), Soldeu (Andora), Soll (Au), Solitude (US)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 3-03-23 15:31; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Because of the randomness of French pronunciation:
Morrillon and Montriond ought to sound similar, as normally the 'T' in Mont is not pronounced when followed by a consonant.
Think of: Montreal, Montpellier, Mont Blanc, Mont St Michel etc..
But breaking their own rules, the locals do pronounce the T, so luckily these 2 french ski villages do sound different.
ski holidays
stevomcd wrote:

Geneva - Gateway airport to much of the Alps
Genoa - Not so much....

Dont forget Girona.. the one that gets fobbed off by RyanAir as Barcelona airport Laughing
snow report
Not skiing but on a car tour to the alps.

On the last day we left Laussane to catch a Boulogne/Folkestone ferry. There was quite a few of us and often got split up but at one refueling stop, it became apparent nobody had seen Lee+Julie since joining the motorway.

Julie had typed Bologna into the sat-nav and they'd driven 2hrs the wrong way before Lee wondered why the sun was infront of him, when he was supposed to be driving north.

They made the ferry... just.
ski holidays
I expect a few have been confused by translation of place names in to a different language too
eg Monaco is Munich

And then there are the autobahn road signs where Liege might actually be signposted as Luik or Luttich depending on where you are coming from.
snow report
denfinella wrote:
the worst (though less likely) mix-up of all...
Lech - exclusive resort at the heart of the famous Arlberg region, Austria
vs. Lecht - bleak Scottish ski area either side of a road pass through the Cairngorms Twisted Evil

I'm pretty sure we are off to Lech on Saturday. If Crystal Ski take us to Lecht I will not be happy. Happy Very Happy
snow report
Not skiing, but we once went to the Azores and I booked a hotel on the wrong island (who'd have thought there were two Sao Roques?)

Worst skiing error was some years ago when we went to Meribel by sleeper train. We were 13, so one chap was in a couchette on his own. Sadly I forgot to tell him to get off at Moutiers and not Bourg...
latest report
andy wrote:
I expect a few have been confused by translation of place names in to a different language too
eg Monaco is Munich

And then there are the autobahn road signs where Liege might actually be signposted as Luik or Luttich depending on where you are coming from.
When I arrived in Belgium, to live there for a few months, I was mightily confused by Mons and Bergen!
latest report
As for Lech, be careful how you enter it into nav.....some years ago I wasn't, and so it took me where I'd apparently asked: Lech Falls, which fortunately was only about an hour out of my way! I blame jet lag...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy