Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resorts combining plenty of Blues with picturesque location ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

Apologies if this may have asked before but as a relative beginner I am becoming increasingly confused!

I was wondering if someone may be able to recommend European resorts combining plenty of Blues with picturesque location ie mountains / village ?

Any advice hugely appreciated!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Saisies and the wider Espace Diamant
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But there are LOADS of them. What else is important to you?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@borischelski,
Any particular country?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any Alta Badia village/town (Italy). snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Here's the standard snowHeads answer before someone else posts it:

Alta Badia in the Dolomites (Italy)

I would second @pam w's Les Saisies suggestions too.

(Edit: oh FFS Laughing )

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 2-01-23 17:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
borischelski wrote:
Hello

Apologies if this may have asked before but as a relative beginner I am becoming increasingly confused!

I was wondering if someone may be able to recommend European resorts combining plenty of Blues with picturesque location ie mountains / village ?

Any advice hugely appreciated!

Zell Am See, Austria. Beautiful. Lovely extensive ski area with plenty of cruisy blues and reds.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
different abilities, but mainly beginners/intermediate. Reliability of snow, picturesque location with reasonable priced restaurants. Reasonably priced lift passes/lessons/ski hire. Ability to ski in/out. Easily accessible we are planning to fly then local transport. Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Corvara in the Dolomites Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lech and Warth (Austria)

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 2-01-23 17:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@borischelski,
Megeve
Lech
Obergurgl
Lots of Swiss places I’ve never been to.
+1 for Alta Badia
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tricky criteria to combine, as usual. Dolomites super, best scenery ever, brilliant restaurants. Plenty of easy skiing. But pricey lift pass and very little ski in/out. And some parts not the shortest transfer.

Where have you skied already, @borischelski, and did those places fall short?

French mountain prices can be high - in the big name resorts they certainly are, but there's a vast range of everything. Probably the cheapest AND the most expensive country in Europe for holidays, but with more ski in/out options than the rest put together.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hochgurgl
Ellmau
Scheffau
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
After my first visit to Saint-Véran I said if ever Carlsberg had to produce a picturesque chocolate box Disneyesque ski resort then Saint-Véran is it!

Loads of lovely pistes also linking up with Molines En Queyras, and out of High Season very quiet.

Bit of blurb I lifted from another site....

Perching at an altitude of 2,042 m in the heart of Queyras Regional Nature Park, the mountain village of Saint-Véran, designated one of the Most Beautiful Villages of France, is also the highest village in Europe.

Enjoying a unique natural setting, this magnificent village has preserved a remarkable built heritage from its past that bears witness to the rural life of old.

Picturesque chalets with fustes (the fuste is the upper part of a chalet with walls made of stacked-up tree trunks, where harvested forage was dried and stored over winter), a listed church and old houses topped with larch shingle or lauze roofs characterise the different hamlets of Saint-Véran.

Walking around you will also discover charming wooden fountains, chapels, sundials, wayside crosses, communal ovens and an old fire engine.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
borischelski wrote:
different abilities, but mainly beginners/intermediate. Reliability of snow, picturesque location with reasonable priced restaurants. Reasonably priced lift passes/lessons/ski hire. Ability to ski in/out. Easily accessible we are planning to fly then local transport. Thanks

Sounds like resort X Laughing
latest report
@denfinella, Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
@NeddySkiGoon, I totally agree…I’d say Corvara has the best selection of blues and the area is so beautiful. Great food and reliable blues - I’ve never felt that I could get to the top of any blue and it would all be good before the Dolomites.
Morzine was also very picturesque with lots of blues but Corvara still wins.
ski holidays
Depends what you mean by picturesque.

Some people call Bauhaus architecture picturesque - so Flaine, has great blues all across the region - although give it a couple of weeks until the snow comes back to Morillon and Les Carroz - highly picturesque in an entirely different way.

Or there is Le Corbier in the Sybelles - picturesque in an entirely different way - as you drive around the North Circular there is a great view of Edmonton - picture this mind blowing scenery in the Alps. Although, actually it is a really nice place to stay and again has blues galore and also has St Sorlin, for the other end of picturesque.

Or Les Arcs - probably my fave ski resort (alongside ADH, nearly as good as VDI without the snobs), where you can see the architectural delights of 1600, 1800 and 2000 - then see the other side of the picturesque stakes at 1950 with blues, blues and more blues - and where you could also see La Plagne and then beautiful Bellecote or Aime and then the different picturesque of Belle Plagne or Villages.

Just happens that these places have the best intermediate progression skiing anywhere with more blue runs than you can shake a stick at.

There is a bit of tongue in cheek here but the best skiing is not necessarily in the most chocolate box places.
latest report
I concur with Alta Badia. Can’t say I’ve experience of dozens of resorts but went to Corvara last year and are returning this year. Absolutely love the place. The Dolomites are stunningly beautiful. Easy access to Dolomiti Superski for miles and miles of skiing, much of it really quiet. Plenty of lovely, wide blues. Our seven year old daughter and four year old son skied for the first time there last year. Both had a great time. Our daughter particularly absolutely fell in love with skiing and was flying down reds confidently halfway through the holiday. Great ski school with some really lovely instructors. It’s also handily right beside a bar that does delicious bombardinos.
ski holidays
Let's hope the OP comes back to see all this carefully thought out advice....
ski holidays
Let's hope the OP comes back to see all this carefully thought out advice....
latest report
With apologies for my radio silence have been hit with post holidays “back to the office” nonsense!

Thankyou so much to all for all your extremely thoughtful & expansive ideas & feedback.

With a young family & at the time all beginners we were regulars @ Saas Fee - hence being spoilt by plenty of blues + a car free picturesque village & surrounding mountains.

Other than a single trip to Val Cenis we’ve not been skiing since & to some extent have lost touch, hence my original post.

Once again much appreciated guys & thanks for so much food for thought !
ski holidays
@borischelski, didn't mean to post my message twice! Sorry.
snow report
borischelski wrote:
With apologies for my radio silence have been hit with post holidays “back to the office” nonsense!

Thankyou so much to all for all your extremely thoughtful & expansive ideas & feedback.

With a young family & at the time all beginners we were regulars @ Saas Fee - hence being spoilt by plenty of blues + a car free picturesque village & surrounding mountains.

Other than a single trip to Val Cenis we’ve not been skiing since & to some extent have lost touch, hence my original post.

Ummmm, why not just go back to Saas Fee ad you know it ticks the boxes for you?
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
borischelski wrote:

Ummmm, why not just go back to Saas Fee ad you know it ticks the boxes for you?

Maybe it's a cunning plan from the Saas Fee tourist board to drum up business??

Ask a question on a ski forum for which the only correct answer is Saas Fee!! Laughing
snow report
You don’t know what else is out then until you ask (then sometimes you find the place you already know works best for you)
ski holidays
St Veran is very attractive but it does have some red and black pistes.
La Grave is a quiet little mountain village and evey single one of its pistes is blue, they are also very snow sure even in a poor winter.
snow conditions
@T Bar, wow, I didn't know La Grave had any pistes!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Hurtle,
At the top there are blues served by a surface lift on the glacier hence very snow sure. It isn't always marketed as a beginner resort though I will confess.
ski holidays
@T Bar,
Quote:

It isn't always marketed as a beginner resort

It certainly isn't! Guess that's why I didn't know there were any pistes. From the photos, I've always thought the village looked gorgeous.
snow conditions
@T Bar, @Hurtle, trouble is that T-Bar certainly does not work all the time, and there are only two runs, and ideally if you ski there you should be equipped accordingly, with harness etc

I actually thought the post was a wind-up Laughing

However, La Grave does have a crackin beginners resort, Chazelet, one of my favourites. wink
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

I actually thought the post was a wind-up Laughing

However, La Grave does have a crackin beginners resort, Chazelet, one of my favourites. wink

It was a little tongue in cheek, I've often passed Chazelet never skied there though.
latest report
Wouldn't those top blue runs qualify as Les Deux Alpes runs?
snow conditions
@pam w, no because to get to there is a ten min hike from the highest point of LDA

And if you go there and take the t-bar it goes over some serious terrain where you would not want to fall off and then be foolish to walk, leave your skis on at all times!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-01-23 10:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
If you are used to Saas Fee @borischelski, then pretty much anywhere will seem reasonably priced wink
ski holidays
Thanks @Weathercam. I recall easiski talking about that area but had forgotten the details.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy