Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting to Bourg St Maurice in April

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm considering a trip to Les Arcs in April (see here) but transfers / trains aren't fully running so late in the season.

For the short break I'm looking at €450 for the transfer from GVA, unless I can share it, but open to other travel options...

Can't drive down, as Mrs EWW will need the car while I'm away.
Anyone put together all the train connections?
Or maybe a combination?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@EarthWindandWater,

Someone who may know about getting there by train is:-

https://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/

He's been advocating the use of trains to go skiing for many years.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Travelling by train to Bourg St Maurice is pretty straighforwards. As stated above Snowcarbon.co.uk is a great resource as is the man in seat 61 (https://www.seat61.com/).

Eurostar to Paris, change in Paris to a direct cross country to Bourg St Maurice.

You could also look into Travelski who run a direct train service from St Pancras but you have to stay in their apartments. Pretty good value too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowdrone run about 6 shared transfers a day between GVA and Val d’Isere/Tignes but will also drop off along the route at Bourg, Aime, Moutiers etc.

https://snow-drone.com/shared-transfers/

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-01-23 11:55; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@EarthWindandWater, I've done this a few times in the past, as late as the last week of April into May. Found it best to fly to Lyon and rent a car from the airport. Handy for accessing higher Tignes/Val D'Isere terrain if snow not so good in Les Arcs. The other possibility is if you can find a flight to Chambery, then rail connection is easier, though that's less likely in late April.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi @EarthWindandWater, from a quick look, I don't think the SCNF train tickets are released yet you your dates. They normal go on sale about 3 months in advance. There won't be as many trains as in the main season and you may have to change between Paris and Bourg, but they will be running.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 6-01-23 12:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are still busses running from the Geneva airport to Bourg st Maurice every day until the end of April, but they are a bit hard to find. Sorry I cannot remember the names of the companies. The easiest route is probably by train, but remember the SNCF tickets are not released until 3 months before departure. Ouibus opperates a service to Chambery station frequently. You can pick up the train there if you wish.

I suspect the biggest problem will be getting a flight. Easyjet cut back on their programme at the end of March (for example no flights from Liverpool after March 25th). It is even harder to find a flight to Lyon. I think the airlines shift to summer destinations before Easter.

One suggestion is to get a flight to Paris and the train from there. It will certainly be less than 450€
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all

sugarmoma666 wrote:
I don't think the SCNF train tickets are released yet you your dates. They normal go on sale about 3 months in advance....

Thanks, I had wondered, other places said they'd be live a bit earlier... will wait until the end of the month!

johnE wrote:
One suggestion is to get a flight to Paris and the train from there. It will certainly be less than 450€

I had thought this, will see what SNCF can do.

muppet wrote:
Snowdrone run about 6 shared transfers a day between GVA and Val d’Isere/Tignes but will also drop off along the route at Bourg, Aime, Moutiers etc.

Great, have dropped them a line
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@EarthWindandWater, i'm 99% likely around the area at that time, and doing that drive, unfortunately not on those dates you're looking for though. I'm hopefully spending last week of March in Nendaz, first 2 weeks of April in Tignes, 3rd week of April in Engelberg, final week of April in Tignes. So driving past/through Geneva a few times.

Here's the Altibus timetable for the Winter:

https://www.altibus.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/navettes-aeroport-geneve-stations-ski-tarentaise.pdf

Not 100% sure when they end though.

A bit long winded perhaps, but Flixbus run busses to Chambéry and Grenoble, and you could then get a train from there. As an example, Geneva Airport to Chambéry tomorrow, there's 2 busses and they're £8.99.

For the train, using a Wednesday mid March 15th, as a gauge because April trains aren't yet available, there's trains at:

11:32
14:32
16:19
18:16

They take between 4hr13min to 4hr29min and cost €38.50-€42.50 and i'd imagine the timetable will be similar in April as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@EarthWindandWater, the Eurostar fares are still really cheap for those dates. Geneva to Bourg area is realistically ~3hrs. Paris to Bourg is ~5hrs. Price-wise from the south it may well be cheaper to do train all the way rather than flying.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy