Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria Carnage (Very Little Snow)

Poster: A snowHead
@Steilhang, give xc a go, it’s great fun and quieter pistes. Flipping hard work though
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Things should hopefully improve on pistes with Christmas holidays now over and a little more snow due in the coming days.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It’s true that when it doesn’t snow for a few weeks anywhere (but particularly when not everything is open) the pistes do get very hard packed as well as icy so for those that do fall at speed they are more likely to be injured on the rock hard surface. Plus, more likely to fall due to the conditions being challenging. Icy pistes aren’t much fun and are a nightmare for your average holiday skier.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
But the worst accidents seem to be the result of collisions - when somebody is skiing out of control. Falling under your own steam is usually survivable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
But the worst accidents seem to be the result of collisions - when somebody is skiing out of control. Falling under your own steam is usually survivable.
Right. Simple rule: avoid blue runs, especially when they are made up of artificial snow and it's holiday time in Holland!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Indeed, I have always felt that an unpopular steep red or black with chopped up snow or moguls but space to turn where you want is far safer than an icy green or blue path run with a crowd of people of all abilities skiing in every direction!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Steilhang, most accidents are caused by men thinking they are good skiers….
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Before the catalogue in Stanton's post I knew of one bad accident caused by an inadequately supervised kid. Woman in Kitzbuhel, standing right at edge of piste, with a 4 year old. 9 year old boy in a helmet hurtled down the piste in a tuck smashed into her uphill leg head-down, destroying her knee to the extent that Austria's best surgeons couldn't put it together again. Her husband saw it, from the chairlift where he was going up with an older child. The Austrian police do seem keen on finding the offenders.

In Valmeinier I came across a little one in a heap, skis all tangled up, apparently alone. I picked him up and sorted him out and went to the edge of the piste to await pathetically grateful parent. Nothing. Nobody. Eventually I skied him down and left him with the liftie. It was an easy piste, just above the chalet hotel. But still - he was tiny!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:

Absolutely collisions cause the most damage.

I hate those ski tracker apps (fair enough if you want to measure the distance you’ve skied in km) but IMO they encourage people to go faster than they should and you then see them boasting about how fast they’ve been, ‘hit my 100km/h target’ etc. I’m not a fan.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@VolklAttivaS5, +1, who cares how far they’ve skied, wow they did Y km on cruisy blues and greens, big deal etc, totally pointless imv.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Langerzug, As soon as I see a coach full of German males decanting in the car park with matching SC jackets I immediately mentally log it and give them a wide berth on the pistes, especially after lunch when they are full of beers and bravado. Same as teenage kids when skiing in large groups, or groups of seasonaires hooning down the pistes after a day playing in the ski park and are late for work going full gas racing down the piste to town.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Markymark29 wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, +1, who cares how far they’ve skied, wow they did Y km on cruisy blues and greens, big deal etc, totally pointless imv.

They might want to know stats from a Garmin say for fitness reasons or something (so the distance, heart rate etc would be relevant in that case) but the speed on the apps is wrong half the time and encourages the fools to ski fast in order to compete with their friend who also has the app. Boasting and bleating about it rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowing nicely in Kitzbuhel just now
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
L8 wrote:
Snowing nicely in Kitzbuhel just now

Nice to hear, we're off there in 6 weeks so who knows what will be there by then!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
From the webcams looks like they've had a dump in Ischgl.
ski holidays
Lots of lifts closed and only 50% of pistes open
ski holidays
10cm at mid station in Flachau this morning so far..raining in the valley
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

They might want to know stats from a Garmin say for fitness reasons or something (so the distance, heart rate etc would be relevant in that case) but the speed on the apps is wrong half the time and encourages the fools to ski fast in order to compete with their friend who also has the app. Boasting and bleating about it rolling eyes

I'll be tracking my runs and stats on my Garmin this season as I'll miss two weeks of Ironman training so need to monitor my levels.

The good thing is skiing can be classed as altitude training (of sorts...)
ski holidays
@homers double,

I will be taking running kit and swim stuff to try and keep some level of IM training going (Italy Sept) next week Eh oh!
snow report
I've just come back from a few days skiing Hauser Kaibling, Planai and Reiteralm last week. This was still Austrian school holiday time and the pistes weren't too crowded. The public holiday Friday (Jan 6th) was the busiest, but mid-week prior to that not too bad. The carparks weren't even full.

It's certainly been an awful season for snow fall so far (although this week looks a lot better!). However, I can say each of those three resorts have done a great job to manage their pistes with what little snow is available.

The biggest challenge is the afternoon chop. Planai was the worst for this, parts of Hauser Kaibling pretty bad, and Reiteralm only in small areas. Rising early to catch the first lifts, then skiing until lunch time was the best approach. Put your feet up in the afternoon.

I quite enjoyed my small holiday, even if it hasn't been the winteriest winter. Not to say that such conditions are sustainable longer term, but if you've a holiday booked I wouldn't write it off. Just be prepared for something a little different and no off-piste or powder.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 9-01-23 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Great snow management in Mayrhofen NY week, we felt very lucky. Yes it was a touch icy AM and sugary moguls PM and the black off Ahorn is generally surrounded by green in the valley in any event.

Just a question of picking your times we preferred on early and off before the rush down 25 26 and 27 home runs to Penken. Snow this week, I think, and plenty of time to HT week and as well as snow a drop in temps would be just the job.
ski holidays
Nearly everything open in Schladming (all 4 mountains) and snow on the upper half today. Forecast to get colder and more snow, including down to town.
latest report
homers double wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Markymark29 wrote:

I'll be tracking my runs and stats on my Garmin this season as I'll miss two weeks of Ironman training so need to monitor my levels.

The good thing is skiing can be classed as altitude training (of sorts...)

Yeah I use my Garmin for fitness reasons but I don’t care about the speed just heart rate and calories burned etc, it may not be perfectly accurate but it gives an approximation at least.
snow conditions
Looks like it’s been dumping more or less all day in the Zillertal.
latest report
stanton wrote:

Kirchberg Jan 2nd,

Where's Walter?
ski holidays
That picture, once again, gives me the absolute heebie jeebies. The idea of actually PAYING to do that! Skullie Skullie Skullie
latest report
@pam w, I'm unsure why those people didn't down load. That's the run leading down to the valley on one of the busiest weeks of the year. Photo it 2 hours earlier and it would have been empty.
snow report
Click twice on the header „neu“ to see where there was up to 70cm new snow in Austria.

https://www.bergfex.at/oesterreich/schneewerte/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, 20 atbflachau at the top...forecast for 70 today. That's a great resource, thanks
latest report
Kaprun Webcams showing it dumping.
https://www.bergfex.at/kitzsteinhorn-kaprun/webcams/c15311/
ski holidays
At least 15cm fell on tuesday in Zell am zee. Great on piste conditions down to about 800m.
snow conditions
Snow cannons were working overtime last night. Cold conditions forecast for the next few days at least
snow conditions
Kappl didn’t look too bad yesterday?
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnP0CIgAiCt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
latest report
@stanton, I know I shouldn’t respond to your trolling, but it’s only fair with all the snow in Austria that I satisfy myself in the same way you do in your taxi. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Drive carefully.
latest report
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@stanton, I know I shouldn’t respond to your trolling, but it’s only fair with all the snow in Austria that I satisfy myself in the same way you do in your taxi. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow. Drive carefully.

Why not?

You always respond to mine
snow report
@Whitegoldsbrother, you wish, Siamese
snow report
We're off to Kitzbuhel in just over a month, snow looks decent this week and more to come so hopefully it stays that way now dor half term. A friend has just returned from a boys trip last week, said it was pretty much all skiable, a bit scratchy down at low altitude, but not a disaster by any means.

Ironically with the Hannenkamm on this weekend there may even be a touch too much fluffy stuff on the course and to make visibility a bit tricky but will be watching Ski Sunday this week for highlights which hopefully gives is a flavour of what to expect.
ski holidays
South east Austria (Kärnten) has received a lit of snow recently. Article in German but the video clips will give you the idea.

https://kaernten.orf.at/stories/3191554/

One ski resort is reporting 130 cm new snow.
(Koralpe).
snow report
Sons ski buddies are just about to launch a run down sizable cliff(s) in the Junior Freeride World Champs in Kappl, so hopefully some decent snow in Austria now! snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
stuarth wrote:
Sons ski buddies are just about to launch a run down sizable cliff(s) in the Junior Freeride World Champs in Kappl, so hopefully some decent snow in Austria now! snowHead snowHead

Seems to be decent coverage and low snow line now. And.more to come later this week.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy