Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow-Forecast.com non-bold figures for snow and rain amounts expected.

Poster: A snowHead
Morning all, quick question please. On Snow-Forecast.com where there are the figures for the rainfall and snow amounts expected, figures are in bold and sometimes figures are in normal non-bold font. What does the non-bold figures mean? Thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of the weather fundis may be along soon to answer, otherwise you might want to jump into the snow forecast room and ask it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks to me (after a brief look at a few locations) that 1 cm = non bold and 2 cm + = bold ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowforecast also weird on middle/top mountain expected snowfall.
For at least a couple of locations (the ones I'm interested in due to future trips), it has a higher expected total mid mountain. Is that (metereologically) possible?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
suec wrote:
Snowforecast also weird on middle/top mountain expected snowfall.
For at least a couple of locations (the ones I'm interested in due to future trips), it has a higher expected total mid mountain. Is that (metereologically) possible?

Yes. Colder at top, flakes can be smaller, so not as much volume.
Equally you could have sun at the top and snow lower down.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah..thanks. Just I hadn't seen that before. Indeed I was in Gressoney last week and it was sunny high and cloudy (but not snowy, unfortunately) below.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all for your replies, thankful for the little that should fall beginning of next for our week based at La Tania.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@GixerGirl, be sceptical about the numbers of cms of precipitation on Snow forecast. It is based on just one model, and gives a much more certain impression than a careful reading even of that run of that model, let alone other runs and other models would give you. Some people insist that they always "over forecast" and are disappointed when the "promised" half a metre of snow doesn't materialise but don't notice when 1 cm forecast becomes 10 on the day. They err in both directions.

You'll get a much better idea of the possibilities by following the main weather thread, or the thread for the 3 Valleys (for La Tania). It does look like some snow is coming in Sunday/Monday. Fingers crossed....

The models are more reliable on temperature, but don't take the "rain/snow" level as gospel.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
GixerGirl wrote:
Thanks all for your replies, thankful for the little that should fall beginning of next for our week based at La Tania.

I believe the snow over in 1650 is still in good condition so I wouldn't worry too much.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you don't have a human-based forecast for where you are going, I find meteoblue.com to be pretty good. no-snow-forecast is rubbish.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, although I'm not a great fan of snow forecast, preferring to look at a number of others, and then go with the best one Laughing

This is from Snow Forecast site which gives an idea as to how they compile their data, admittedly with a healthy dollop of PR spin.

Where does your weather model come from?

Although the actual snowfall forecasts are made using our computers at snow-forecast.com, the raw weather forecast data comes from the National Weather Service (NWS) in America; the largest organisation of its kind in the world. Serious weather forecasting requires massive computer power, vast expertise and an almost unlimited budget. Only a very few organisiations in the world can achieve this, arguably only two! If they are honset, most small weather companies derive their products from people like NOAA and ECMWF, and those that don't would probably become much more reliable if they did! To our credit we do much more than simply re-package NOAA products, but without them as a basis, our service couldn't exist at all.

We use the Global Forecast System (GFS) weather models for our input data. For our purposes these are ideal, not only because they are detailed, reliable and frequently updated, but also, because they are intended for aviation planning. Thus, they contain accurate descriptions of how conditions vary with elevation. This provides the key to how we derive surface temperature over a wide range of altitudes using digital elevation models. When we combine this with preciptiation forecasts, we arrive at snowfall.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whether you think Snow Forecast is accurate or not or more/less accurate than others they do have a very good FAQ page (the answer to suec's question is contained therein):

https://www.snow-forecast.com/pages/faq
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Again, thank you all for your input, much appreciated. I look at three different forecasts, the other two mainly for snorkeling/coastal wind speeds based around Scotland. If I were to be believe the XCW app for La Tania there is at least 35 cm coming in Laughing , I'll take that with a pinch of salt - maybe I'll take the snorkel kit just in case it is needed after all in the Three Valleys. Toofy Grin wink Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My view is that any weather report only gives you a general view and actually in most cases that is all you need to plan your days skiing.

So I would be looking at if their may be high winds - if so some lifts may be shut and/or I may want to find sheltered slopes. What is the freezing level as this may make higher/lower altitude skiing more desirable. Will things brighten up as the day goes on (later start) or deteriorate (early start/finish), etc. etc. The final details, exact timings matter less.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GixerGirl, met-blue for la Tania https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/week/la-tania_france_6355086

@zzz also recommends meteo-alpes - https://www.meteoalpes.fr/bulletin/alpes-du-nord/

In both cases (and per the weather thread here) there's definitely a decent snow fall inbound ... (thank feck!)
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@GixerGirl, met-blue for la Tania https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/week/la-tania_france_6355086

@zzz also recommends meteo-alpes - https://www.meteoalpes.fr/bulletin/alpes-du-nord/

In both cases (and per the weather thread here) there's definitely a decent snow fall inbound ... (thank feck!)

Thank you and all. Regardless, looking forward to our "not quite red eye" flight out of Edinburgh tomorrow morning. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy