Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arc 1600 Newbie - advice please on Ski Hire & lifts

Poster: A snowHead
@PeakyB, @Lucywuk,

Any idea why Skimium is so much cheaper than Skiset and Intersport? literally 100 euros? two adult Intermediate skis, helmet & Skis, one junior 12yr and one teen

Is there something wrong with Skimium?

skihire
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How many ski hire stores are there in 1600? I'm looking to hire a specific ski but skimium and ski set don't respond to messages
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@thecount, I’ve rented from a wide range of shops over the last decade, since deciding to stop taking my own skis.

I’ve never had a problem with a Skimium outlet. Some, eg in Tignes, Les Arcs, Arabba, were excellent. Every one was at least adequate. Similarly with other shops, with one exception being one occasion with Ski Republic.

I don’t know whether it’s the mass buying clout of Decathlon behind Skimium that keeps costs down?

What I always do, and I think it helps, is to fool them into thinking I know a bit about skis. I email them directly in advance and ask what new season skis they have in currently. Then I outline my height, weight, type of skiing I do and maybe specific skis I’ve enjoyed before, asking them what they recommend from their range, at what length. I check that out on reviews, eg snowHeads ski thread and test scores. If they sound OK I ask for those to be reserved.

If you can get a special offer or pay a small supplement to enable change(s) of skis during the week, I think well worth it.

By the time you pitch up in the shop, with your reservation, they’re far less likely to try to fob you off with older, poorer quality skis.

Respect the expertise of the technicians and they usually appreciate it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dave_3, I think there might be around 5 but google maps aren't 100% accurate. Skimium atm seems to be cheaper by around 100 euros give or take for a family of 4. BUT... their checkout page is a bit clunky... 100 yards from La Cachette (think I can cope with that) Still have no idea why its 100 euros cheaper but probably just going to go for it... Pretty much selected the same spec like for like, two adults, and two teens, all intermediate.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PeakyB wrote:
@thecount, I’ve rented from a wide range of shops over the last decade, since deciding to stop taking my own skis.

I’ve never had a problem with a Skimium outlet. Some, eg in Tignes, Les Arcs, Arabba, were excellent. Every one was at least adequate. Similarly with other shops, with one exception being one occasion with Ski Republic.

I don’t know whether it’s the mass buying clout of Decathlon behind Skimium that keeps costs down?

What I always do, and I think it helps, is to fool them into thinking I know a bit about skis. I email them directly in advance and ask what new season skis they have in currently. Then I outline my height, weight, type of skiing I do and maybe specific skis I’ve enjoyed before, asking them what they recommend from their range, at what length. I check that out on reviews, eg snowHeads ski thread and test scores. If they sound OK I ask for those to be reserved.

If you can get a special offer or pay a small supplement to enable change(s) of skis during the week, I think well worth it.

By the time you pitch up in the shop, with your reservation, they’re far less likely to try to fob you off with older, poorer quality skis.

Respect the expertise of the technicians and they usually appreciate it.

thanks - great tip!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@dave_3, bear in mind Christmas and New Year is one of their busiest times of the year.
Probably a better chance of a reply after this week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, don’t remember the old Land Rover engine having a problem towing a rope full. Absolutely exhausting pushing it on a sled to the top of the hill though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think there are 7 hire shops in 1600 including the one at the rock belface.

Christiana Sports are probably the most upmarket and mountaineering oriented, but for our purchases, repairs etc (my wife just bought some new skies there) we use the intersport next to the pharmacy. The technicians are friendly and know their stuff.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@PeakyB, @johnE, Just noticed skimium say they have two there? Which is best for the Cachette hotel?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
actually, I think I've compared their own map and google and worked out I think Pierre Blanche is the one I need to book for after all.? @PeakyB, @johnE,
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thecount, yes, I noticed that and think you’re right.

BTW, don’t be put off upon arrival at La Cachette. You’ll get dropped off at the lowest level of the hotel.
Watch the path to the entrance door…usually very icy. Then the entrance, corridor and lift were all shabby and unpromising, last time I was there. Once you’re out of the lift into the lobby and reception area it’s much more welcoming and smart.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@PeakyB, Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@PeakyB, any advice on a 4 day ski pass or - any way of getting weds to Sat cheaper than €836?

Not sure but I think Classic would do us for our first stay here and only 4 days skiiing?

https://www.lesarcs-peiseyvallandry.com/en/forfait-ski/4-jour-classique-2286?s=2023-01-04&sk%5B0%5D%5Bcc%5D=ADULT&sk%5B1%5D%5Bcc%5D=ADULT&sk%5B2%5D%5Bcc%5D=CHILD&sk%5B3%5D%5Bcc%5D=JUNIOR&dp=0
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@PeakyB, Oh and I guess it’s just easier online rather than queuing up tomorrow morning ?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Definitely book online. Then they’ll have advance warning of your sizes, weights, etc.

Queue shouldn’t be too bad tomorrow morning, as far as I can guess.

Sorry, can’t help on Chester ski passes. Maybe worth asking on the Les Arcs / Paradiski snow conditions thread?

Depends on snow conditions but in 4 days I wouldn’t normally bother to go across to the La Plagne sector. In 6 days I would usually go there once or twice only.

Have a good journey and great skiing. Look forward to hearing what La Cachette is like these days.
snow conditions
Cheaper not Chester…which spookily is where I’m just about to set off to Smile
ski holidays
@thecount, The lift pass office is next to Skimium about 100m from your hotel front door. The list pass options seem to get more and more complex each year with family passes, couples passes, one man and a dog passes etc. (I made the last one up). I always find it useful to talk to the ladies behind the counter to get the best option. There is rarely a queue of more than 1 or 2 people and they are very helpful.

The main advantage of the essentials pass is the ability to queue jump on certain lifts, but this week is looking quiet so I don't think that it that important from tomorrow. It does allow you to go over to La Plagne, but like many regulars I don't go over very often - perhps once or twice a season. We have just come back from a 12 day trip (10 ski days) and none of us felt the urge to go over at all. We didn't. I reccomend just getting the Classic passes.
snow report
@PeakyB, thank you! For the life of me I can’t find the post for (Les Arcs / Paradiski snow) can you help? Thanks Eh oh!
snow report
@thecount, try https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=160908#5060516
ski holidays
@johnE, Eh oh!
snow report
johnE wrote:
@thecount, The lift pass office is next to Skimium about 100m from your hotel front door. The list pass options seem to get more and more complex each year with family passes, couples passes, one man and a dog passes etc. (I made the last one up). I always find it useful to talk to the ladies behind the counter to get the best option. There is rarely a queue of more than 1 or 2 people and they are very helpful.

The main advantage of the essentials pass is the ability to queue jump on certain lifts, but this week is looking quiet so I don't think that it that important from tomorrow. It does allow you to go over to La Plagne, but like many regulars I don't go over very often - perhps once or twice a season. We have just come back from a 12 day trip (10 ski days) and none of us felt the urge to go over at all. We didn't. I reccomend just getting the Classic passes.

Thankyou!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy