Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Transport between Samoëns and Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello - is there an easy way to get from the Samoëns ski domain to Les Gets midday (with ski gear and no luggages)?

I was thinking of making it down to 1600 then Grand Massif Express, walk to the centre of Samoëns, where there should be buses to the Grand Massif cross country area.... which happens to be right next to the top of Morzine ski domain in Chamoisieres. Ah, let's not forget our PdS passes that day!

Are there alternatives? The walk in town seems longer than the Pleney to Super Morzine walk.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski buses to various locations in and around Samoens stop right outside the GME exit so no need to walk very far.

Details below.

https://www.samoens.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/RESEAU-HIVERNAL-TRANSPORT-COLLECTIF_MONTAGNES-DU-GIFFRE_23-24-BD.pdf
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My wife and I often drive up to the cross country area from Morzine to top of Joux Plane via Samoens. Spend a few hours cross country skiing then one of us will put rando skis on and tour across to the Chamosiere piste. Fairly flat and you could walk / skate on downhill skis but it would take a bit of effort. Also you would not be allowed to walk on the cross country tracks but there are some walking tracks and the piste used for sledges is close to the Chamossiere piste.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@pateman99, doesn't sound like a very practicable route to me as a way to get to Les Gets!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@patrick!, rome2rio.com ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@under a new name, For us it works well as one of us gets some extra skiing and the other drives back and we meet up at the small car park at Ys on piste B. My post was really just to say it was possible. Personally I would not do it with downhill skis / boots but each to his own. It is certainly not a common solution as very rarely see other tracks. You could get a bus to Taninges and then change buses to the Cluses / Morzine bus. Or bite the bullet and take a taxi.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pateman99, yeah, but, as you say, on rando gear...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys - checking the timetables.

I'm not going to put skins on just from the col to the downhill piste (plus my son will be on skis, albeit slalom skis), but yes I didn't think about ugly footsteps on the snow... Skating it is, then.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is not only 'ugly footsteps ' the cross country tracks are kept separate and you pay to use them. You will definitely be shouted at if you walk on them and some users / pisteurs may object to alpine skis. You will not skate up the first part of the walking track as it is steep uphill. There is a small bit of off piste between the tracks and the downhill piste. You need to make your own decision re avalanche risk and safety equipment you are comfortable with.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
. The pistes on openskimap/opensnowmap are not up to date, I didn't realize (by casually looking at it from the PdS side) that I'd need to use the XC tracks.

But don't worry, I'd be the first one to complain about people badly using the tracks, and will find a way around somehow. I've done the climb to the top in winter (and of course summer) before, but never with an open ski domain either side.

At worse I cough 15 euros and skate around Ranfoilly (Tête du Vuargne) but in alpine gear it's not fun and long...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
for the last few years the Ranfolly route ( the road in summer ) has been closed more often than not because of avalanche risk or actual avalanche over the road. Having said that it has been open each time we have been this year but not been up in last 7 days.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pateman99 wrote:
My wife and I often drive up to the cross country area from Morzine to top of Joux Plane via Samoens. Spend a few hours cross country skiing then one of us will put rando skis on and tour across to the Chamosiere piste. Fairly flat and you could walk / skate on downhill skis but it would take a bit of effort. Also you would not be allowed to walk on the cross country tracks but there are some walking tracks and the piste used for sledges is close to the Chamossiere piste.

It is though amusing thats it's so close the GM domain there.

I've skied CdJP route down to Morzine, driven it in summer, yet to cycle it from Samoèns to Morxine though Very Happy

You can see the infrastructure of both areas when up there with road closed point in winter, and with friends living in Vechaix, they were aware of local desire/plans to link that valley into Les Gets ski area, giving cross town accessibility from one area to another.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@patrick!, it strikes me as one of those daft ideas that only can end (very) badly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@patrick!, it strikes me as one of those daft ideas that only can end (very) badly.
Somehow I think you're perfectly right, but we won't be able to prove it this time, as unfortunately the WC bus to the Col isn't running outside of hols Sad

So in the end I plan to stay in Gd Massif for the day and simply take a bus to Tanninges afterwards.

I'll find a way to do that route next year!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy