Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing on same lift pass near Dolomites or Madonna di Campiglio

Poster: A snowHead
We're driving over for 3 weeks, based in Madonna di Campiglio and Canazei (although we have previously also stayed in Arabba and Selva) and am wondering where is best to explore around. People have mentioned Passo Tonale near Madonna and Alpe de Suisse near Canazei. Any recommendation for these or other skiing areas, please? Also, would there be any other snowheads there whom we could ski with? 26th Feb - 5th March: Madonna. 6th - 18th Mar: Canazei. Intermediates, skiied for decades. Would be nice to meet new people!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
They are both on separate area passes (Superskirama and Dolomiti Superski) though with a season pass you do get 5 days in the other area included. A season pass at €950 probably won't pay for you though in 3 weeks.
We are out here in our motorhome for 7 weeks and have bought the Superskirama pass.
Passo Tonale is a bit of a drive from MdC for a day and with so much skiing available directly from Canazei it's also probably not worth the drive to Alpe Siusi.
Maybe you could fit a days skiing in on your transfer day at somewhere like Andalo which is a mountain full of fantastic reds, or Carezza.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We did PT in a day from MdC and it was only about an hour and we also spent a week there but I it's not a great resort, better to explore MdC.

From Canazei you have so much skiing you are spoilt for choice so AS wouldn't be a priority for me but we had a nice day there and would go back. Without needing to drive you've got Selva, Alta Badia, Arabba/Marmolada. From Canazei I'd consider the following day trips - Sella Ronda both ways (to get your bearings - take your time and explore some areas just off the SR), Ortisei (because it's quiet and has a great run from Seceda), Marmolada (because it's a nice trip and beautiful), Hidden Valley (because it's a fun day out and you get a horse tow!). If you want to drive then you could pop over to Cortina and spend a day at Tofana.

Others will chip in soon.

Last year we did a week in MdC and 2 weeks in Corvara, it was a fantastic trip.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BoardieK, @richb67, great ideas already, thank you. We have skiied SR both ways and Marmolada but, yes, am aiming for the Hidden valley this time and all the other places mentioned. Would it be worth hiring a ski instructor for some off piste at that time of year?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@BoardieK, perhaps I could contact you when we're out there?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd hang fire on any off piste aspirations for now. Crying or Very sad

Yes. We might well be in Madonna your first week
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pejo is worth a day, stunningly pretty with huge vertical and great mountain food. Passo del Tonale is a marmite resort on here but I like it, some awesome steep piste skiing down in Pdl and some lovely off piste down from the top of the Glacier all the way back down in to town if conditions are ok.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ponte di Legno / Passo Tonale definitely worth it for a couple of days (maybe one around the former, one around the latter). Most of the criticism tends to revolve around some of the ski area lacing variety - but that's more of an issue for longer stays rather than day trips.

Pejo is indeed also excellent for a day trip.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you, lots to think about, especially the pros and cons. Invaluable nuggets of wisdom Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
longsuffering wrote:
@BoardieK, @richb67, great ideas already, thank you. We have skiied SR both ways and Marmolada but, yes, am aiming for the Hidden valley this time and all the other places mentioned. Would it be worth hiring a ski instructor for some off piste at that time of year?

Have you done Kronplatz? its worth a drive for a day out. The disadvantage of Canazei is that most places are a bit of a drive away so it might be a bit far.

as I said we had nice day n Alpe di Suis so if you've skied the other areas it's worth a look. Nothing challenging so good for intermediates, a bit of a disjointed layout but very quiet.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@richb67, Kronplatz looks a bit too far away, but it looks accessible from Furcia which is 40 minutes shorter distance away. Ruis cablecar up to Plan de Caranes? If so, that would make it 1h 40m away.

All suggestions - thank you!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@longsuffering, Are you in Madonna di Campiglio now? We just arrived in Pinzolo so I'll be out here tomorrow and will prob drive up to MdC in a few days if you want to meet up.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BoardieK, i've skied today in Pinzolo. Was nice and quiet, all red and black pistes neat the valley were rather icy.
I reckon you know you can easily reach Madonna by one loong gondola ride if you don't want to drive the tight turns.
Very good conditions in 5 laghi and the nearby Monte Pancugolo
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@drporat, Hi. I did go up to MdC for several hours and it was a lot busier than Pinzolo. Currently sitting in motorhome outside supermarket waiting for Mrs Boardiek before driving up to park at the bottom of the Groste lift for a few days. First lift for me tomorrow, i think it should be great for an hour or two. There are a lot more options for the type of riding i prefer up there, not really interested in scraping down icy reds though i did short cut down the black in MdC this afternoon.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Try Passo San Pellagrino from Canazei its about half an hours drive ..there is alpe Luisa on the same road
snow report
San Pellegrino is good for a day (the falcade descend is really nice as is the black volata which is a WC downhill and if you are lucky you can see the italian women train there). Alpe Lusia / Bellamonte is good for a day (not a big area but one side really nice blue/red cruisers and the Moena/ronchi side nice steeper reds and a black valley descend).

The other side of the valley has also Carezza (which is nice for a day and has a very very nice grill bar called the "hennenstal") and Obereggen is also nice to do.

All of these options are about a half hour drive from Canazei.
ski holidays
All, thank you for the mew suggestions.

@BoardieK, thank you. Sorry for not getting in touch. We've been skiing the superski area for the last 5 days and loving it. What a wonderful ski area. I decided I'd like to navigate for the 1st time and be the lead this week so, although we've managed to cover everything, we've been setting spreed records (think tortoise). Great fun! That's why I haven't contacted you. The Mr. would probably have preferred to join you.

We saw a fox yesterday, while on a chairlift. It sauntered across a piste underneath us and in front of a skier who stopped shocked in his skis, scrambling to catch it on camera.

Moving onto Passo Tonale tomorrow. Have enjoyed all the varying conditions this week in MdC. 2 days ago, fresh snow made moguls everywhere and yesterday hard packed no-loose-snow pistes. It felt like sheet ice. Today, slushy and hot, except at the top of Groste.
There are 2 nice blacks off Monte Spinale but the whole superski area has been lovely, can't name any favourites, but we don’t think red piste 36 exists.
snow report
Or maybe Pejo tomorrow!
snow conditions
@longsuffering, It was our last day today and also rode the Groste area this morning. Drove the motorhome down to down to Lake Garda this afternoon for a few days rnr before heading home.

I think we had a pretty good week in MdC all things considered, I especially enjoyed the Groste area and managed first gondola 3 days out of 5 plus a second and fifth today.

Oddly, yesterday I experienced the best piste conditions of our 6 weeks skiing, today was almost as good but pistes a bit more consolidated (ie firmer) though they didn't mogul so early.

Have a great week.
snow report
Thank you, everyone. We decided on Pejo, after all and it was included in MdC lift pass. We parked the car 6 feet from the lift, for free! And the lift attendant helped me with my skis! Slopes were empty and peaceful. It was a lovely day out.
Yesterday, we transferred from MdC to Alba, Canazei.
Very cold, but no snow being forecast. Confused Lots of snow of the snow machine kind.

When we enquired at the lift office, they showed us a map of lots of other areas covered in the Dolomiti suoerpass, including the ones mentioned above. Happy days!
latest report
@DaveD, @beester1976,
We've just had a wonderful day at San Pellegrino. So much so that we're going back tomorrow! We may add Alpe luisa.
SP snow conditions were the best we've had and the slopes very quiet comparatively, to ride, although still not free of loonies.
We did start on the Falcade but it was closed below about 1500m.
The temperatures are awful and I suspect there isn't enough snow. It was supposed to dump 2 days ago but, at least in the main sella ronda, but there was only about 5-7 cm, which has quickly melted away.
Thank you! Fantastic!
ski holidays
Glad you liked it...one of my favourite spots NehNeh
snow report
@DaveD, a hidden gem!
@richb67, yes, finally, on our 3rd visit to the Dolomites, we went to the hidden valley!
It was lovely and the horse tow and the whole thing was a big experience!
ski holidays
Never done that...
snow conditions
@longsuffering glad you enjoyed it! The hidden valley really is spectacular and the food at the scotoni hut is also quite unforgettable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy