Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas Week - Again!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

New to this forum, but have already found loads of information. I wonder if you can help with the following request?

The hubby & I are looking at booking Xmas week 7 days (or nine if possible). We would like a resort with plenty of intermediate runs (both will be 5th time skiiers), but with the infrastructure to cope with the busy season - i.e. limited queues, plenty of lifts & good instructors. If possible we'd also like to find a resort with a ski in, ski out location that isn't too far from the nightlife (nothing too crazy but a bit of atmosphere!). \Oh and no more than a 3 hour transfer!

We have previously only skiied in Bulgaria & Vermont & I would like to try another European resort.

Am I looking for too much?

Nuts
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Very Happy. Lots of people will be along with lots of good advice - including my own top tip, which would be to book much later, when there is some inkling of likely snow cover. Christmas can be very thin even in high resorts - it certainly was in 2005. There are always lots of last minute bargains available for two flexible people! The last few years have seen much better early snow in Austria than in France, but things change....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nuts, book late, ususally plenty of availabilty for Christmas (but not New Year).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nuts, welcome to snowHeads. Booking late is a good idea if you want to follow the best snow, especially if there's just the two of you as there should be availability in most resorts. If you can't/don't want to book late I'd say it's a good idea to book a resort with a good range of skiing including high altitude. That's no guarantee of good snow, but if booking in advance I think going high maximises your chances of having lots of early season skiing.

A resort like Les Arcs would fit your criteria (not that I'm biased Wink), with a good range of both high altitude and tree-lined skiing, endless intyermediate terrain in Les Arcs & La Plagne, a nice Brit-run ski school, no lift problems at Christmas, and lots of ski in/out accommodation. It's about a three hour transfer from Geneva or Lyon, and also has a direct train service from London which takes you to within 10 minutes of the resort.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nuts, I can offer you a 10 day break over Christmas in our chalet in Alpe D'Huez (high altitude) which has a great range of intermidiate runs and some excellent ski schools. Transfer from Grenoble is only an hour and a half! The chalet is also ski-in ski-out and offers amazing food! Have a look at our website www.skialacarte.co.uk and contact me if you are interested - we always offer discounts to snowheads and now that you are a member you can take full advantage! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second/third the book late/last minute. Austria seemed to have better snow than high French resorts this year and also I think the year previous. If the snow is good everywhere you'll have lots of choice that week, but not for New Year.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
onlhy trouble with booking last min for christmas is you could end up staying where you dont nes want to be as everything is already booked.

welcome to snowheads!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

onlhy trouble with booking last min for christmas is you could end up staying where you dont nes want to be as everything is already booked.

if that happens, it will be the first time in living memory. It will be the week beginning 30 December which will be busiest this year, it seems - and the French schools don't go back till 8 January, so the whole of that first week of January will be much busier than usual. Leaving it late could mean that your top choice of accommodation is no longer available, but booking early could mean you end up with no snow and wrecking your skis. And paying more for the privelege.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, new year week is ALWAYS more busy that xmas, hence its more expensive.
if you end up with bad snow, just rent some ski's, snow even bad snow is better than no snow at all
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all your responses guys, definitely given me some food for thought re booking late.

Katski, could you please pm me with pricing on your chalet for both 7days & 10days for a double en-suite? Also we're based in Dublin - do you arrange flights as well?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy