Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pila or Passo Tonale

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I’ve narrowed our half term trip down to Pila or Passo Tonale. They have the most affordable accommodation for our budget. We are mainly second timers other than myself who is an old timer Very Happy

Thoughts on which is better? Not fussed about night life, just need a pizza place for the kiddies and a few wines! We are normally asleep by 9pm when we ski Eh oh!

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been to Pila but I am part on the minority who like Passo. Its a great place to learn and for second timers I would say there are plenty of slopes to improve on and by the end of the week you could be doing all the runs within Passo (bar the Pressina side) and maybe some of the runs down in Ponte de Legno. And Ponte de Legno got good reds for old timers. Ski school is good according to my wife and the town though not pretty is not hideous and plenty of good pizza and some decent places for wines and bombardino. La Baracca was the most lively when I was there followed was Magic Bar and La Botte. Pretty snowsure and sunny and also pretty good value for money too
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Eh oh!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Passo could well work for your brief.

You probably already know that it's not a beautiful resort, and is largely a bunch of parallel slopes strung out along a main road. The scenery isn't going to inspire a lifelong love of the mountains in second weekers. You can of course judge all this for yourself from Google Maps etc.

But...it's great value. You get a lot for your money in terms of hotels, ski hire, food and drink. It's super convenient, your group will suss out the lie of the land within an hour. The skiing is all second weekers and improving kids will need.

For you, the Ponte de Legno slopes are far more interesting and scenic, and decent second weekers will be able to join you. Possibly even a trip on the ski bus to other resorts.

So not a resort anyone will fall in love with, but its sweetspot is early intermediates, on a budget, not prepared to sardine pack into self catering.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, I've taught in both Pila & Tonale and whilst you are not going to go wrong with either from a skiing perspective, my personal preference is Pila for a greater variety of slopes especially for advanced beginners/early intermediates. It also has a big mountain feel with some good progression runs through the trees. As mentioned above, the runs in Tonale run parallel along the main resort road which isn't a problem, however, you would quickly want to explore further afield down to Ponte De Legno. Good luck & have fun Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks!! Does anyone have a ski hire shop they know of in Aosta if we go to Pila. I’ve looked at ski hire for pila and it’s 3 x as much as for Tonale on line. No idea why!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My partner was a complete beginner, so we took a trip to Passo tonale last year. First of all it will be hard to find better value for money, the locals in the huts and eateries are also absolutely lovely. Lunch on the mountain was really cheap in Jan 2022. The runs are not anything spectacular but great for learning on, and there is really good progression onto some nice red runs tucked around the back of the main part of the resort.

Whilst at face value it isn't particually aesthetically pleasing, the dolomites are absolutely beautiful and it's not hard to find some stunning views there.

Ponte di legno is included on the pass and has some great tree lined runs. Some quite challenging! You have the long run off the glacier also which is well worth doing.

If we had kids we'd definitely go back. The resort is nothing flash, but we had a brilliant time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with @GreyCat's comments re. Pila vs. Tonale - Pila probably has the edge but both are suitable.

@Clairey1975, I found the same problem with Aosta ski hire prices last season. I think there are only two hire places, both at the bottom of the gondola, and both are expensive. However there are several spots in Pila itself (i.e. at the top of the gondola) which were cheaper. Any chance you could use those?

(We ended up hiring kit from La Thuile as we were skiing several resorts on that trip, but that probably won't work for your situation.)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Eh oh! I can hire up in Pila if we go there, doesn’t have to be down in town.
Maybe they will have storage too.

Still deciding…I have accommodation found for both, Passo Tonale is twice as much so if anyone has any budget rental ideas for there please shout…
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pila. It would tick all the boxes Passo does but is just much nicer and feels like a ski resort rather than a few runs along a main road.

I see some really good deals for Passo which have tempted me in the past but then I look at the pistes and the area...and go for somewhere else.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Clairey1975, I’ve done a few days in Pila when we have been staying in Courmayuer, and really like it, it’s not huge but does have a reasonable variety of runs, whereas Passo looking at piste maps and Google seems a bit like deciding on which lane on a motorway to take.
Are you planning accommodation in Pila or Aosta, it’s a 20 mins gondola ride up and down, which is fine as long as you avoid the time window where the UK school kids use it, so ideally before 9.30. Aosta is a pretty town, with supermarkets and a good range of restaurants and better value than Pila as it’s all tourists. Passo is also popular with schools
Try using Google maps to locate the ski hire shops and contact them direct for prices, and storage.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
geoffknight wrote:
@Clairey1975whereas Passo looking at piste maps and Google seems a bit like deciding on which lane on a motorway to take.

Laughing you're right, the parallel pistes at the top of the pass are a bit like that!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We hired from bottom of Gondola in Aosta (ski service Aosta) don't know about current prices but its was approx €110 per head for skis and boots for a week. in feb 2020. (actually two of us had boots two didn't for a total of €438!) Decent kit.

Really nice resort and assuming you are happy to do the odd red, very suitable for your needs and good variety - tree skiing and some higher up stuff with lovely views and good variety of places to eat. We had a car so explored the Aosta valley but had first and last days at Pila, hence hiring from there.

If staying in Aosta, its a proper town so plenty of places to eat in the evening or supermarkets for self catering. The school kids ted to get bussed in so you get to the Gondola up to Pila ahead of the rush in any event
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy