Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Airways confirms new luggage policies

Poster: A snowHead
For more info see here. Key points when travelling in economy seem to be: 1 piece of sporting equipment is carried free of charge in addition to your other luggage; one one piece of hold luggage (maximum weight 23kg); 1 piece of cabin baggage (no weight limit, but you must be able to lift it unaided into locker) plus a small laptop bag able to fit under seat in front of you).

These changes come into effect on 5 July for hand lauggage and 11 October for hold luggage.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So if I understand correctly, that means you can take your skis for nothing, as long as you put your boots in your case and it weighs no more than 23Kg

I wish I'd booked those BA flights to geneva when they were cheap rolling eyes
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Paul Holland, yes, that's how I read it. Although I think it's quite easy to exceed 23kg for a suitcase packed for a ski holiday, especially if ski boots are included.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The trick is to put as much as possible in your ski bag
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
5th of July hmm. I fly out on the first and back on the 8th it will be interesting to see what they say.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Edmundh009, I think that you would have a strong case to argue that whatever policies were in place when you made your booking should be the policy that is applied for your travel.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The key is to take a light (in weight) bag,get your clothes laundered locally rather than taking more than you need.
I manage to get everthing in (including boots). Total weight 20kgs.

Im buying new boots this season & a key consideration for me will be the weight of the boots.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm not even going to attempt to meet 23kg including skis and boots. My suitcase on my last ski holiday was around 22kg and this year it should be about the same + ski bag stuffed with trousers gloves jacket etc.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I always put my ski boots plus a few smaller heavier items in my day pack (i.e. back pack), which is small enough to go in the overhead locker, so that solves the problem.

As I usually use public transport to get to the airport as well it means that all the heavy stuff is on my back leaving me with a soft holdall for the clothing, plus the skis to carry.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've booked with BA for Grenoble next January. They told me that limit for hold luggage (inc skis, etc) is 23kg and the limit for cabin luggage is 6kg. However I do believe that it does vary a little route to route even within Europe.

This is the info from the eticket

-------
BAGGAGE
-------
Adult/child Baggage allowance is 23 kg per person
For detailed checked (hold) baggage allowance, including
infant allowances, click the link below
http://ba.com/baggage

Baggage that exceeds allowances will incur a charge
No single item of baggage may weigh more than 32kg (70lbs)
For cabin bag allowance click the link below
http://ba.com/cabinbag
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still much better than Flybe
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was told by BA that the one piece of sporting equipment rule counts skis and boots as one item. But i'd check first with them if I were you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
They certainly haven't made it easy to inderstand. The way they explained it is that I can take one case and my skis in the hold (didn't mention boot bag although it is covered in conditions below) but that the total allowance is still 23kg. Anything over this is about £5 per kg. From their website:-

European routes
Passenger Allowance - Adults and children aged 2 and over 23kg (51 lbs)

Snow ski equipment
You may take:
One pair of skis and ski poles or a snowboard or a monoski
One pair of bindings and boots

If you are on a flight where the baggage weight allowance applies:
The equipment is included in the baggage allowance
Normal excess baggage charges apply

If you are on a flight where the baggage piece allowance applies:
The equipment is carried as one piece of baggage
Normal excess baggage rates apply

Which seems to confirm that is the case.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Phoned BA today. £2.08 per kg above my 23kg limit, if before july 5th. so thats only another twenty quid for a full ski bag for the entire journey.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, I think those regualtions are out of date as all BA flights will be on the basis of a baggage piece allowance.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, I hope so although those are the allowances they quoted to me when I phoned knowing that I was booking for January. My eticket also links to pages that quote those limits. But they certainly have something on their new simpler policies on their homepage, I think they just haven't got all their systems, etc in order yet. I think I'll forget about it until nearer the time and hopefully they will have clearer guidelines published.
ski holidays
The website seems to indicate that the sporting quipment is in addition to the checked baggage allowance, and doesn;t mention it being included in the total weight.
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/bagpolicy/public/en_gb
latest report
Hope they still keep the US/Canada 32kg limit (isn't clear from the link) You can get 2 pairs of skis,2 x boots & a snowboard plus some safety kit in a coffin bag but you're pushing 32kg.

Can't say I think the cabin baggage idea is great for the customer experience- we all must have been on flights where people are shoving the maximum into the lockers and the last 20 people or so have nowhere to put stuff so it gets put in the hold anyway after a great degree of time-wasting. No doubt it reduces their ground handling costs.
latest report
fatbob wrote:
Hope they still keep the US/Canada 32kg limit (isn't clear from the link) You can get 2 pairs of skis,2 x boots & a snowboard plus some safety kit in a coffin bag but you're pushing 32kg.

Can't say I think the cabin baggage idea is great for the customer experience- we all must have been on flights where people are shoving the maximum into the lockers and the last 20 people or so have nowhere to put stuff so it gets put in the hold anyway after a great degree of time-wasting. No doubt it reduces their ground handling costs.

No, 23kg will be the limit for all bags (I think this is based on Health&Safety legislation, and will eventually be the same for all airlines). Flights to America will have an allowance of 2x23kg pieces of luggage.
latest report
Quote:

No, 23kg will be the limit for all bags (I think this is based on Health&Safety legislation, and will eventually be the same for all airlines). Flights to America will have an allowance of 2x23kg pieces of luggage.

BAA brought in the 32Kg rule on luggage in 2004 for health & safety reasons. The airlines look like they are trying to bring down the weight of baggage carried and some (Ryanair) quote this as being due to H&S reasons. I think it is probably due to shortening turnaround times and the fact lighter planes will use less fuel.

Some members of our group nearly got stung for excess baggage this year comming back from Geneva to Gatwick with BA - My gear (skis, boots etc in 2 bags) was about 29Kg. We argued that we didn't get charged on way out (shuttle from Glasgow to Gatwick had allowance of 32Kg) and they let us off. Now no BA staff at Geneva (and other airports) they have subbed it all out to handling agents.

New rules seem to clear it up a bit but will need to watch weight of main bag now.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Paul Holland, yes, that's how I read it. Although I think it's quite easy to exceed 23kg for a suitcase packed for a ski holiday, especially if ski boots are included.

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in for my 10 day trip to Whistler this year to find that my bag, including boots, weighed in at 21 Kg.

It seems clear to me from the wording that the 23Kg limit is the maximum weight for any single item:

"A maximum bag weight of 23kg (50lbs) will apply to all bags."

and that the number of bags is what varies between different ticket classes. In all cases, you can in addition take an single piece of sports equipment, that must also weigh under 23 Kg without prior arrangement:

"Passengers will be able to carry one piece of sporting equipment free of charge in addition to their checked baggage allowance. "

Also, I believe excess baggage will be charged per item, dependant on distance but regardless of weight, subject to the 23Kg/item limit. ("All baggage in excess of free checked baggage allowances will be charged at a fixed fee depending on the length of the journey. ")
ski holidays
davehk wrote:
Also, I believe excess baggage will be charged per item, dependant on distance but regardless of weight, subject to the 23Kg/item limit. ("All baggage in excess of free checked baggage allowances will be charged at a fixed fee depending on the length of the journey. ")

That's right, and the price that BA have set seems to be punitive: £30 per additional piece of luggage for domestic flights, £60 for short-haul and £120 for long-haul. So if you are just a few kg over your 23kg allowance you should, if BA applies these rules rigourously, pack the excess into another case and pay the full charge for it. I wouldn't like to be a BA check-in agent when these rules are introduced!
ski holidays
Paul Holland wrote:
So if I understand correctly, that means you can take your skis for nothing, as long as you put your boots in your case and it weighs no more than 23Kg

BA's website has now clarified what it means by 'sporting equipment' under these new regulations. Good news is that a seperate boot bag will be allowed as part of your one piece of sporting equipment which is carried free of charge. The full list is:
Quote:
Snow and skiing equipment
Ski bag and boot bag allowed
Snowboards and boot bag allowed
Golf Equipment
A golf bag containing clubs and a pair of golf shoes allowed
Fishing equipment
The Rod & tackle bags are allowed
Bicycles
A single seat touring non motorised bicycle
Surfboards
Surfboards will be allowed as one bag as long as they do not exceed the maximum dimension (Sporting goods must not exceed max T5 OOG dimensions 2.4m x 0.75m x 0.75m)
Windsurfer sets
Windsurfer sets comprise of board, sail & spare plus mast are all considered as one bag and will be accepted as long as they do not exceed the maximum dimensions (as above)
Diving equipment kit
Diving equipment kit comprises of facemask, pair of fins, pressure gauge, regulator, safety vest, snorkel, tanks and weights belt, snorkel,
NB Sporting goods weighing over 23kg will require pre-notification. E.g. diving equipment up to a maximum weight of 45kgs and the cylinder must empty to ensure safe handling
Hang gliders
Hang gliders are unlikely to be with in the maximum dimensions (see above) but if they are will be counted as one bag
Firearms
Sporting guns/firearms will continue to be accepted as sporting goods – considered as one bag no charge and no change to current handling process
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk, with a clear and simple policy like that, BA is looking pretty good value - especially if you can book in advance to get the best price. 23kg is plenty if it doesn't have to include skis or boots.
ski holidays
Alastair wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, with a clear and simple policy like that, BA is looking pretty good value - especially if you can book in advance to get the best price. 23kg is plenty if it doesn't have to include skis or boots.

I agree. Most of my flights last season were with BA because they were broadly a similar price to easyjet, and offered a lot more flexibility in terms of departure times and airports. As others have said, packing stuff into a ski bag means that 23kg should be plenty especially if ski boots can travel in their own bag free of charge.
snow conditions
This just gets better. It has always been a problem for my other half having to include Ski boots in the normal 20 Kg Tour op allowance. Better get those flights booked before they go up even more Smile
ski holidays
I think it's cos passengers, particularly on the other side of the pont are getting heavier.

Being small of stature myself, I think there should be gross weight limits with extra discounts for those who travel light and haven't eaten all the pies!
snow conditions
David Murdoch, BTW There is a special section in every hold for Garden Gnomes Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowbunny, only on flights to Zürich.
ski holidays
Well we're stuck with Easyjet or nothing up here, so it's really irrelevant to me. I don't need to carry my skis back and forth either so ski charges don't exist. I've always found Ej's luggage allowances to be ample anyway. In March we even took over a rug for the floor of the apartment and a large pair of curtains, and still came well within the baggage allowances. That included our 2 pairs of ski boots.
snow report
laundryman,
Quote:

snowbunny, only on flights to Zürich.

So any Gnomes flying to say...Geneva, will have to buy a whole ticket Shocked
snow report
It seems to me to be a fantastic policy to me. We're looking at booking flights for our upper school ski trip next year, and despite slightly higher prices than straight off their site, they are fantastic for group bookings (unlike EJ who you can't even contact). Deposits after two months, final payments closer to the dates, plus you can change names up to five days before departure - then add the simple "pack your back and bring your gear", we'll have no baggage problems is fantastic for our group!

ba seem to be re-inventing themselves (again), and making a very good fist of it this time round.
snow conditions
If only they'd start more flights from Newcastle aiport. We have to go everywhere via Heathrow or Gatwick, and ususally spend half a day hanging around there, it's honestly easier to drive or catch a direct EJ flight, I hate Heathrow, and Gatwick's worse.
snow conditions
Not quite ski carriage, but free baggage scrapped on more BA Euro-routes:

Quote:
British Airways passengers flying on key short-haul routes from Heathrow and London City will have to pay extra to check in a bag. The airline has launched “hand-baggage only” fares from its two key business airports to eight of its main domestic and European destinations.

From 24 September, passengers to Amsterdam, Barcelona, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Paris, Rome, Rotterdam and Stockholm will be given what the airline describes as a £10 discount on the current lowest one-way fare. In effect, anyone choosing to check a bag in will pay more.

The policy already applies to BA’s short-haul flights from Gatwick. It faces intense competition at the Sussex airport from easyJet, which dominates Gatwick. The difference with today’s move is that it affects the two BA base airports that have no significant low-cost competition.

Robin Glover-Faure, the airline's head of short-haul, said: “The hand-baggage-only fare at Gatwick has proved very popular with our customers so we’re now introducing it on a selected number of short-haul routes from Heathrow and London City. If it proves as successful, we plan to roll it out across the whole short-haul network in the coming months.”

Existing bookings are unaffected; passengers who have already booked will be entitled to the full 23kg checked baggage allowance that applied when they bought the ticket.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/going-budget-british-airways-scraps-free-baggage-allowance-on-key-european-routes-8808746.html
latest report
Yet another reason to validate my decision to fly business class with Swiss or BA. By the time you've added on luggage and whatnot, it's not such a big price difference, and if they're going to start charing even more for luggage, then maybe no difference at all Smile
ski holidays
Dodgy reading comprehension there - they're not "scrapping" free baggage at all. They're offering baggage-free rates alongside their all-inclusive fares.

These fares usually sell out on the popular flights from LGW, so the take-up is reasonable.

If you're hiring a car at the other end, always check their flight and hire car combined fares - you can find yourself with effectively a free hire car and cheaper flights or a sector in business class. At least with paying for a business upgrade on special offer you get more air miles and tier points, unlike if you pay for extra luggage Wink
ski holidays
That's the PR speak you're buying into, call me dave. Flying without a bag is ten quid cheaper, yes, but how much to add a bag back on now? More than ten quid I bet, see last line of second paragraph quoted above which suggests there will only be the one fare and option to add a bag at more cost.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 11-09-13 16:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
surely BA realise in their wisdom if they want to 'compete' with the likes of easy jet, they simply have to improve service and not worry about a price war? Not paying for ski gear, for example, would balance up the costs of flying with them against the lower grade airlines, and affect many a decision even if it was a little more - I for one would rather get an all price rather than pay a few quid less, and feel ripped off at the counter, and then queue for a month, and then have to pile into the plane and fight for a seat next to the missus...

Any thoughts on the 'best' option (as a whole) from UK to say Geneva? We flew BA to Innsbruck a few years ago and I remember the price was about £15 more than easyjet. We turned up to the airport and the queue for EJ was about 2 hours+, and for BA it was 15 mins. That was justification for about a £1000 difference! lol
ski holidays
dennisp,

I don't pay to take ski gear on BA. My ski bag (2 pairs skis and 2 boots) goes in the hold as my one checked in bag, and I get 23kg cabin baggage allowance.
snow conditions
dennisp, definitely agree, the whole BA experience is more pleasant, last time I properly compared doing a return trip with one leg with each airline. Sadly the race to the bottom doesn't seem to have finished. Don't even like to think of the horror that was RyanAir; never, never again...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy